AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

Having not seen any Avengorii lists around, I made 2 as a sort of thought experiment. I don't think they'll win a GT, but it should be a pretty good time in the monster edition. Failing that, at least it'll be a short game. Unfortunately I'll need to make 2 more zombie dragons to use it. 😛 {Fair warning, This all comes without playing a game with the army yet} I'll try out all the bloodlines eventually. I love that there are so many ways to run this army. :)

List 1, The Goon Squad: 1965pts, 3 drops - regiment

Spoiler

Grand strategy: prized sorcery                      Triumph: + 1 to wound rolls

Vampire lord on zombie dragon - general - Unhinged rampager: amulet of destiny, Urges of atrocity             Spell:  [Vile transference]

(R)Vampire lord on zombie dragon - Spell: [Pinions]

Vampire lord on zombie dragon - Spell: [Soulpike]

(R)Gorslav the gravekeeper 

(R)Necromancer - Spell: [Decrepify]

(R)4x20 zombies

The idea is to have a hyper lethal goon squad of dragon lords face rolling over threats. Possibly switch one out for Vordrai *shrug*. Their job is to punch through and goon the Archaon types or spread the pain out. Depends on what you're fighting. (I've seen VLoZD whiff damage hard before so I suspect that will actually be a problem) The zombies job is to sit either in the way or on objectives. They're mostly just bodies. The necromancer(s) are there to make the prized sorcery strategy easier. Add a few spells in and summon zombies back out. They let me take the warlord battalion if I want to as well. Unfortunately none of the available enhancements intrigue me for Avengorii.

List 2, The Monster Mash: 2,000pts,     Alpha beast pack (the free beginning move one)

Spoiler

Grand strategy: (The one for keeping a monster alive)

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: - general - unhinged rampager -  Urges of atrocity - amulet of destiny                Spell: Pinions

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: Spell: Amaranthine orb

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: Spell: Soulpike

[ABP]Terrorgheist 

[ABP]Terrorgheist 

10 skeletons

Not a lot of strategy here. Slap as many monsters on them as fast as possible. Probably bounce off. A lot of durable stuff out there. A lot of -1 to hits running around too. Makes me want to look at legion of blood again.

I believe it says that the battleline trait replaces behemoth when you swap their role, so I think that lets you exceed the normal 4 limit? If not then replace a terrorghiest with more skeletons to babysit objectives

I think the first list is better, but who knows. I'll try them both at some point. Hope you enjoyed my little thought experiment.

Cheers

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Having not seen any Avengorii lists around, I made 2 as a sort of thought experiment. I don't think they'll win a GT, but it should be a pretty good time in the monster edition. Failing that, at least it'll be a short game. Unfortunately I'll need to make 2 more zombie dragons to use it. 😛 {Fair warning, This all comes without playing a game with the army yet} I'll try out all the bloodlines eventually. I love that there are so many ways to run this army. :)

List 1, The Goon Squad: 1965pts, 3 drops - regiment

Hide contents

Grand strategy: prized sorcery                      Triumph: + 1 to wound rolls

Vampire lord on zombie dragon - general - Unhinged rampager: amulet of destiny, Urges of atrocity             Spell:  [Vile transference]

(R)Vampire lord on zombie dragon - Spell: [Pinions]

Vampire lord on zombie dragon - Spell: [Soulpike]

(R)Gorslav the gravekeeper 

(R)Necromancer - Spell: [Decrepify]

(R)4x20 zombies

The idea is to have a hyper lethal goon squad of dragon lords face rolling over threats. Possibly switch one out for Vordrai *shrug*. Their job is to punch through and goon the Archaon types or spread the pain out. Depends on what you're fighting. (I've seen VLoZD whiff damage hard before so I suspect that will actually be a problem) The zombies job is to sit either in the way or on objectives. They're mostly just bodies. The necromancer(s) are there to make the prized sorcery strategy easier. Add a few spells in and summon zombies back out. They let me take the warlord battalion if I want to as well. Unfortunately none of the available enhancements intrigue me for Avengorii.

List 2, The Monster Mash: 2,000pts,     Alpha beast pack (the free beginning move one)

Hide contents

Grand strategy: (The one for keeping a monster alive)

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: - general - unhinged rampager -  Urges of atrocity - amulet of destiny                Spell: Pinions

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: Spell: Amaranthine orb

Vampire lord on zombie dragon: Spell: Soulpike

[ABP]Terrorgheist 

[ABP]Terrorgheist 

10 skeletons

Not a lot of strategy here. Slap as many monsters on them as fast as possible. Probably bounce off. A lot of durable stuff out there. A lot of -1 to hits running around too. Makes me want to look at legion of blood again.

I believe it says that the battleline trait replaces behemoth when you swap their role, so I think that lets you exceed the normal 4 limit? If not then replace a terrorghiest with more skeletons to babysit objectives

I think the first list is better, but who knows. I'll try them both at some point. Hope you enjoyed my little thought experiment.

Cheers

Nice ideas, though bear in mind you can't put Avengorii Terrorgheists or Zombie Dragons in to the Alpha Beast Pack battalion, as they are Conditional Battleline and thus lose the BEHEMOTH battlefield role when they gain BATTLELINE.

Triple VLoZD sounds cool, I ran a triple mounted king list in FEC that was lots of fun. Being -1 to wound is quite potent; I guess the tradeoff is whether they would be better in Kastelai and having access to the level up mechanic, especially if you throw Vhordrai in to the mix?

1 hour ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

You can indeed have more than 4 because they're not counted as behemoth's any more 😉

I missed basically all post release talk and brainstorming about the Gravelords. Is there a good overview on all our units and how they're performing in 3.0 so far? My expectations and reality could be quite some inches apart - but I have a Cursed City box laying around and intent to use it in the near future. 

(Doesn't matter if the cursed city gravelords are any good. They're just my scape goat to paint some of them =D)

Edited by Rachmani

6 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I missed basically all post release talk and brainstorming about the Gravelords. Is there a good overview on all our units and how they're performing in 3.0 so far? My expectations and reality could be quite some inches apart - but I have a Cursed City box laying around and intent to use it in the near future. 

(Doesn't matter if the cursed city gravelords are any good. They're just my scape goat to paint some of them =D)

Honestly, pretty much all Gravelords units are worth using in some capacity. Black Knights are probably the only unit not seeing much use.

It has options for a number of playstyles, bar shooting.

So whichever way you want to go, it's kind of hard to go wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

Got a game in today against the up and coming Guild of Summoners Tzeentch list. I went with my heaviest Blood Knight List:

Mannfred

Radukar the Beast

6x5 Blood Knights

10 Direwolves

2x battle regiment

He summoned a Lord of Change on turns 1 and 2 and won the first priority roll, but I won the second and basically had him wiped out by the end of the third battle round. He killed Mannfred and 15 Blood Knights total.

The list played basically like I expected it to. You'd definitely don't get all the BKs in at once, but as your opponent kills them there are just more to fill the gaps. The hammer blow on my first turn of two units of 5 BKs with Mannfred and Radukar was pretty devastating, and two more flanking units were able to get in to his backfield on turns 2/3 (would have both been turn 2 but Kairos shut down one charge after he rolled a 6 on redeploy). Once he cleared out the two units of Blood Knights in the center there were two more ready to charge in.

Nice work. Some day Bloodknights will be available again... Are you running that in legion of Knight and you don't run any unnamed heroes? 

16 minutes ago, Warbossironteef said:

Nice work. Some day Bloodknights will be available again... Are you running that in legion of Knight and you don't run any unnamed heroes? 

It's Kastelai, battleline Blood Knights and outflanking are limited to that Dynasty only.

That’s both good and bad. Let’s say I want to stay with Radukar & his lot anything I should absolutely avoid? The rest I‘ll figure out. But sometimes something looks good on paper but in reality isn’t all that great.

Like I can imagine Avengori with their non hero monsters are probably worse than they appear due to 3.0 victory conditions.

Edited by Rachmani

4 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

4 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

It's Kastelai, battleline Blood Knights and outflanking are limited to that Dynasty only.

Yeah, that list is Kastelai. Note that when I said that I was flanking with two units of knights I meant the old fashioned way XD I deployed them in a line and just brought one unit up around each side.

I completely forgot about the actual outflanking rule. I probably should have used that on my last two units!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rachmani said:

That’s both good and bad. Let’s say I want to stay with Radukar & his lot anything I should absolutely avoid? The rest I‘ll figure out. But sometimes something looks good on paper but in reality isn’t all that great.

Like I can imagine Avengori with their non hero monsters are probably worse than they appear due to 3.0 victory conditions.

If you want to run the Cursed City units, here's what I would do:

Radukar the Wolf, Torgillus and the Kosargi Nightguard are a good package. You get some casting, a good CA and extra command points that way.

Next, Gorslav is quite good, because he is very cheap and allows you to resurrect Zombies and Direwolves whenever you want for a command point. Obviously, he synergizes with those units, so 40 Zombies or 10 Direwolves are a good investment (both are also staple units without him).

The Vargskyr and Bloodborn are totally usable and for their relatively low costs they can easily be justified as kinda punchy harrassment units.

Halgrim is kinda not worth using. Same for 10 skeletons by themselves (unless you want to just fill battleline). However, if you want skeletons, a block of 30 can be a staple unit (especially with Necromancer support).

From there you can go into a lot of different directions. Vyrkos, Radukar's subfaction, is quite good and can support really nice mixed arms lists if you want to use a large variety of models.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rachmani said:

Is there a good overview on all our units and how they're performing in 3.0 so far?

AoS Coach just had a chat about SB ob YouTube…

as with all recommendations: ymmv depending on local meta, dice gods and personal skillz 🤪

Played a vyrkos list with belladamma, the beast, vengorian 2x5 bk… was very nice.

grave guards are hyped as blenders, Nagash is back on the table..

a lot of things are possible, especially at casual tables

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honk said:

AoS Coach just had a chat about SB ob YouTube…

as with all recommendations: ymmv depending on local meta, dice gods and personal skillz 🤪

Played a vyrkos list with belladamma, the beast, vengorian 2x5 bk… was very nice.

grave guards are hyped as blenders, Nagash is back on the table..

a lot of things are possible, especially at casual tables

I can confirm when things go right for GG they blend.  Had Manny add 1 attack and use command ability and they smashed. It's just about getting them in the right spots. They shine as counter charge unit against melee armies. Stuggle against high mobility and shooting but for 280, they take all the buffs the book has and hit hard. 

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Had Manny add 1 attack and use command ability and they smashed.

Just stumbled across the +1 attack, reread his scroll and am now frantically working on a list 🤩

Manni is a freaking beast in 3.0… finally

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 11:08 AM, TheArborealWalrus said:

Having not seen any Avengorii lists around

I'm working on a concept which takes a balanced approach to Avengorii rather than full monster mash. The idea behind it being to utilise the Avengorii traits without sacrificing the benefits of SBGL (summoning and bodies on the board). I think this is where the Avengorii truly shine, getting the most from both worlds.

It looks something like this;

1 venga boi, 1 vampire lord, 1 necro.

2 x 20 Grave Guard with big sticks, 10 skeletons, 10 dire wolves.

2 x Terrorgheist

Bound spell: Emerald Lifeswarm

Grave Guard in hunters, rest in battle regiment.

Lands at 1995.

Venga boi acts as support (rend aura) and counter-punch with 'eye for an eye.' Artefact doesn't really matter, pick whichever works for you. Vampire + necro boost GG. Skeletons and dire wolves act as screens. The geese do their thing and usually I'd pick the run and charge mutation.

The opponent cannot lean back and focus on just dealing with monsters and I'm able to put a decent amount of bodies on the board. The GG and geese + venga boi being the muscle and I expect the -1 wound and being able to pop them back up to top bracket is going to hurt.

Still tinkering with the list and it is enticing to get Mannfred in there but at the same time he eats away points for other monsters and the bulk of the army. Plus I really want to keep the list 'pure', so to speak. I can also see it with one big block of GG and free up points for more skeletons.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vik Vijay said:

Hey guys, I'm attending my first AoS tournament at the end of the month and was hoping I could get some feedback on the potential Legion of Night list I'm planning on taking! 

Thanks for your help in advance :D

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 07.23.19.png

My experience so far has been that MSU (minimum sized units) are not really that effective in Soulblight.

For example, 10 grave guard are very vulnerable to any kind of shooting, spell mortals, or impact charges. Furthermore, GG in general crumble very fast so if you don’t get to attack first you’re going to lose a lot of them before they get a chance to fight.

The same is true for zombies. In groups of 20 they don’t do a whole lot, they aren’t even much of a tarpit  at that number.

At the very least, my suggestion would be to group up your units. This also makes them much better targets for endless legions.

Based on what you have Id say 40 zombies, 20 zombies, and 10 Dire wolves would be a decent battleline core. 20GG are almost a staple so that’s good too

More broadly speaking I think it might help to narrow the focus of your list a bit. Usually lists that bring lots of deathrattle and dead walkers try to support them with heroes like vampire lord and necromancer. Alternatively you could play more aggressive with blood knights and dragons, but you’ll want things to go support them as well (such as a vengorian lord).

I think there’s a good enough foundation there though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vik Vijay said:

Hey guys, I'm attending my first AoS tournament at the end of the month and was hoping I could get some feedback on the potential Legion of Night list I'm planning on taking! 

Thanks for your help in advance :D

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 07.23.19.png

Agree with the other feedback. MSU can work well because it gives you flexibility and lots of chaff but I would suggest having 1 true hammer in your list. With what you listed, I would combine the GG into one unit to become that Hammer. VLOZD, Manni, and Bloodknights can do damage, but 20xGG with some buffs can actually delete things. One simple change to consider is brining a Necro, moving GG to 20 and dropping either a unit of Zombie or Wolves. Just a suggestion. Necro with Morbhegs Claw has been great for me in LoN

19 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

The Dead Swamp rises! First fully painted units of my SBGL army. I'm a new dad so painting time has been hard to come by. They are not my highest standard but I did speed paint 70 of them in about 8 hours total. So not bad!

20210813_084052.jpg.9b88946da14a2345296af99dda7ae82c.jpg20210813_083611.jpg.0c174fc6e91e90305884140d62dc1cb5.jpg20210813_084006.jpg.68c3b56dc6c300c2d06937be4e2bc65d.jpg

There nice them mate :) really like the grimy look :) when i eventually get round to mine going to try streak + grime for the first time :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys if my opponent decide to not move a unit, can I redeploy if im within 9 of that unit at the end of mov phase?

Regarding rule „9.2 Remaining stationary“ pg.10

The unit is considered to NOT have moved during movement phase, so the rules for redeploy do not apply

(no normal move, no run nor retreat…)

• Like 1

There was a Soulblight Nagash list on Tsports this weekend. 

He took Kastelli in a list that seems weird for it. Think it was for Fragment of the Keep? I don't think I see any general traits that fit, though Nagash probably was it.

This was the dude's list:

Screenshot_20210816-121412_Chrome.jpg