AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

26 minutes ago, Replicator said:

Can unit make charge after use Disciplined Advance from Watch Captain Halgrim?

"You can use this command ability at the start of your movement phase. If you do so, pick up to 3 friendly DEATHRATTLE units wholly within 18" of this model. Until the end of that phase, if you declare that any of those units will run, do not make a run roll for them. Instead, add 4" to the Move characteristic of those units until the end of that phase."

I'm going to say no. You still need to declare the run, which seems to be the part that matters (not the roll).

28 minutes ago, Replicator said:

"You can use this command ability at the start of your movement phase. If you do so, pick up to 3 friendly DEATHRATTLE units wholly within 18" of this model. Until the end of that phase, if you declare that any of those units will run, do not make a run roll for them. Instead, add 4" to the Move characteristic of those units until the end of that phase."

They are still running just at a set pace. It's like the command ability that has you add 6" to move rather than rolling. 

3 hours ago, Dracan said:

Artefact: Sword of the Red Seneschals

You might consider giving this to the vengorian lord so he can buff the vamp lord on zombie dragon. It also free up the VLoDZ to not have to be central to your army and let's him make safer or more strategic charges

3 hours ago, Dracan said:

40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230) in

I might be leaning toward units of 20. 20 models is the max you'll ever get fighting most targets, and it protects you from battle shock and unleash hell. It also let's you play alittle cagey and be more flexible.

1 hour ago, Replicator said:

I don't think so, as you still declare that they are making a "run", you just don't actually roll for it. However it is worded a bit strange.

Edited by Liquidsteel

18 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Just playing around with Legion of Night, but you can do some fun things and sort of build your own Nagash inside the army. The lore of the Deathmages has some incredible defensive spells. This list can get it's casters to +3 to cast. It's got tons of board control but would struggle to kill tough units. That said, it would be super grindy and hard to kill the 10xBKs when throwing around all these debuffs. I feel like this list would be hard to play in person, especially in time crunch of tournament, but it has some serious casting power to it.

This is a very interesting list! Note that you have one too many troops in your Battle Regiment. Personally I'd want to split one of the 40's into 2 20's to give you some screens but that also bloats the drop count so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaizennus said:

With 6” pile in and 25mm bases I’ve been able to get 40 zombies into combat pretty regularly. 40 also allows for a much strong Endless Legions. 20 isn’t that bad though, if you need more units for battleline or something.

Yeah I guess that's fair. It really depends on how you use the pile in. To me the pile in is about giving them consistent charge range and activation protection, but I see how you use it to get more models in. Though I think getting them all in make them super vulnerable to anything near by and make them afraid of battle shock. Where units of 20 let the zombies screen each other and 20 can get most stuff done. 

You are right about the endless legion. Being less effective 20 combat can really do stuff where as the 10 are just gonna grab objectives. That said the one that combat usually I'd use that way anyway because the unit combat always feel kind of clunky, out of position, to slow, or too vulnerable. 

Lastly 20 zombies can clap a unit of blood knights with 2 buffs, where as 40 is far and way overkill. 

But I think if you want the best chance of bringing something like archaeon down you want that 40block. Also the 40 block has a realistic chance of taking a hit and recovering. 

• Like 1

A 20 of Zombies has been really lackluster for me in practice. 6s are such a swingy mechanic. The unit also really wants bodies between shooting and fight back, on top of tar pitting.

40 Zombies and 30 Skeletons is showing up in a lot of lists for a lot of reasons.

I was also a fool for not including Blood Knights, but I finally found a box and built them up. Very excited to have them done in time for our Path to Glory league!

• Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Warbossironteef

Just a few more thoughts on your list:

I kinda want to drop 20 Zombies and Gorslav for a third Necromancer and... something. Maybe Fell Bats or a second Corpse Cart (either version)? Swap Fading Vigor off Mannfred in favor of Soul Harvest and give the third Necromancer Fading Vigor and Levitate. Levitate shouldn't be too hard to cast with the +3 and will be really nice on a unit of Blood Knights. It lets them sprinkle mortals on heroes and big guys when retreating and will help them position much more effectively.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 3:04 PM, Sception said:

20 zombies is basically a sacrificial screen.  Pop them up from a graveyard as a screen for 20 great weapon graveguard 2.1 inches behind.  If you want them to be more than a speed bump, though, then yeah, 40+.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, Nasrod said:

A 20 of Zombies has been really lackluster for me in practice. 6s are such a swingy mechanic. The unit also really wants bodies between shooting and fight back, on top of tar pitting.

40 Zombies and 30 Skeletons is showing up in a lot of lists for a lot of reasons.

I was also a fool for not including Blood Knights, but I finally found a box and built them up. Very excited to have them done in time for our Path to Glory league!

Hmm fair enough. Think it would be worth to hit them with levitate so they can definitly get everyone in??

3.0 fly rules seem abit goofy, as you seem to completely ignore terrain unless you start or end on it otherwise you have to measure at an angle. 

So, I'm completely new to AoS coming from card games.

I've decided I would like to make a Monster centric army and I like the look of the Soulblight Gravelords although the new dragons coming out might sway me.

The army I think I have decided on is below but I'm not sure it is legal when it comes to the Cursed City figures.

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Avengorii

Leaders
Coven Throne (310) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Skilled Leader
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny
- Lore of the Vampires: Blades of Shyish
Vengorian Lord (280) in Warlord
- Artefact: Arcane Tome
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Torgillius the Chamberlain (115) in Warlord
- Lore of the Deathmages: Decrepify
Radukar the Wolf (150) in Warlord
- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Battleline
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Warlord
Terrorgheist (305) in Battle Regiment
Terrorgheist (305) in Battle Regiment
- Cursed Mutations: Nullblood Construct

Other
4 x Kosargi Nightguard (190) in Battle Regiment
- Reinforced x 1
4 x Kosargi Nightguard (190) in Battle Regiment
- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells
Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Core Battalions
Warlord
Battle Regiment

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

I know this army has a few weaknesses such as the abundanabundance of MW flying about and Range heavy armies. I just like the mobility of the monsters and the fact I don't have to paint too many models.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skellyten said:

I've decided I would like to make a Monster centric army and I like the look of the Soulblight Gravelords although the new dragons coming out might sway me.

The army I think I have decided on is below but I'm not sure it is legal when it comes to the Cursed City figures.

Welcome!

You definitely made an unusual list, but it appears to be legal. Radukar, Torgillius and the Nightguard are Vyrkos faction locked, which means that they won't benefit from any lineagde allegiance abilities other than Vyrkos, but you can still run them in any lineage ylu want. It's not like they would benefit from the Avengorii traits, anyway, so all clear on that front.

I was originally going to say that 8 Nightguard might be expensive to ge through ebay or whatever, but after checking the prices actually seem fairly OK.

Guys sorry if this question is not about SBG , i had a game today, in my turn I used all out attack on my 5 BK in battleround 2. After in the same round , in my oppo turn I decided to give them all out defence. My oppo said i could because I gave all out attack in combat phase. But it was MY combat phase. Could i do it or my oppo did right? Thx all guys

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tizianolol said:

Could i do it or my oppo did right?

Core Rule 6.0 :

A model cannot issue more than 1 command in the same phase and a unit cannot receive more than 1 command in the same phase. In addition, you cannot use the same command ability more than once in the same phase (even for different units).

your opponent is right.

your BKs can get Commands yelled at them in EVERY Phase of your turn AND ALSO in EVERY phase of your opponents turn… by the same guy technically 

2 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys sorry if this question is not about SBG , i had a game today, in my turn I used all out attack on my 5 BK in battleround 2. After in the same round , in my oppo turn I decided to give them all out defence. My oppo said i could because I gave all out attack in combat phase. But it was MY combat phase. Could i do it or my oppo did right? Thx all guys

I think there are a bunch of typos in this post, but I think what you are saying is this:

1. You used all out attack during your turn in the combat phase
  2. You tried to use all out defense in your opponent's turn (same battle round) in the combat phase
  3. Your opponent told you that you can't do this

If this is a correct parsing of what you were saying, then your opponent is definitely wrong. A unit can't issue or receive a command more than once in the same phase of a turn, but what you are describing is happening in different phases. Your opponent's combat phase is a different phase from your own combat phase, even in the same battle round.

He is correct that you can't use the same command ability more than once in a phase. But you can use all out defence/attack in both your shooting and combat phases in the same turn, or in both the combat phase in your turn and the combat phase of your opponent's turn.

• Like 4

So, on Warscroll Builder Torgillius the Chamberlain is not Unique is this correct?

If it isn't does having multiple next to Radukar the Wolf all trigger their trusted Lieutenant or can it only trigger once?

just thought it would be funny to gain a lot of command points.

One model I havent tested in game is Radukar. I keep finding ways to push him out my lists. But when i considee you can get Radukar, Necro and 10x Wolves (for a CP) vs a VLOZD, the decision seems pretty tough. I wish Radukar had a little more dmg but his buff being 18 inches is really nice for 40xman zombies. 

Have people had a lot of success with him? I was took the list ive been playing and swapped out my VLOZD. 

Legion of Night

Mannfred von Carstein (380)
Radukar the Beast (315)
Necromancer (125)
Necromancer (125)
Gorslav the Gravekeeper (75)
UNITS
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)
20 x Grave Guard (280)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 181

Edited by Warbossironteef

@Warbossironteef I really like that list. I'd be tempted to swap a necro for a foot vampire for a more reliable +1 attack buff for when one of Mannfred/Radukar's is unlikely to be applied.

Any additional thoughts as to battalion usage and if you intend to use the Gravesite/ Legion Ambush with anything?

Edited by Eldarain

3 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

One model I havent tested in game is Radukar. I keep finding ways to push him out my lists. But when i considee you can get Radukar, Necro and 10x Wolves (for a CP) vs a VLOZD, the decision seems pretty tough. I wish Radukar had a little more dmg but his buff being 18 inches is really nice for 40xman zombies. 

Have people had a lot of success with him? I was took the list ive been playing and swapped out my VLOZD. 

Legion of Night

Mannfred von Carstein (380)
Radukar the Beast (315)
Necromancer (125)
Necromancer (125)
Gorslav the Gravekeeper (75)
UNITS
20 x Grave Guard (280)

TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 181

I've used Radukar in most of my lists with some of each version. He's defensively efficient for a hero even if you don't count the summons, and the wolf version is quite hard to kill if you take some nightguard. I've had Lumineth opponents really have to focus fire to take him out. When he connects his command ability wins games, particularly with zombies, and the 18" radius is huge.

One thing I will say is that you need to be mindful of positioning and really think about where you are going when you make charge moves. I've had at least one or two games where I charged with a different unit only to make the charge with Radukar MUCH more difficult.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Im thinking of grabbing a box of grave guard, which I’m aware are older models. I’ll probably only ever use the great blades however, and it doesn’t look like there’s an option for them in the kit. That bothers me aesthetically. Can anyone confirm this?

if you are looking at the GW site there are twp weapon sprues and 2 banner sprues in the box in memory serves. Otherwise there wouldn't even be enough sword and boards.