AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

15 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

Something I wanted to mention, because I didn't spot it straight away so maybe someone else hasn't realised either, is that Blood Knights can still retreat and charge regardless of the wounds characteristic of the enemy unit, it's simply the "counts as flying" and Mortal Wounds on passing over that requires 3 wounds or less.

That is.... Wait... *Checks battletome*

WOW. That is bonkers. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kurtces said:

Hi folks, 

I'm trying to build a good Nagash list, I have this (in a high level view):

Nagash

Mannfred

30 skeletons

10 skeletons

10 wolfs

5 blood knights

2020 points

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

A necromancer, to provide the 30 block of skellies with extra chances of standing back up again, as well as spell portal, to give Nagash extra range on Hand of Dust.

You'd have to drop the Blood Knights plus wiggle around e.g. wolves for zombies to achieve that though, then at that point what is Mannfred really providing? He's a great force multiplier but his actual damage isn't great. Worth considering if you need him.

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding Mannfred, he's cool, I guess...

Anyway, you are right. A better list, I thing at least, was:

Nagash

Necromancer

30 Skeletons

10 Skeletons

10 Wolves

20 Grimghast Reapers

Umbral Spellportal

Soffocating Gravetide (to fill the points...)

No vampires in the vampires army... but could be good if you want to build around nagash...

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, kurtces said:

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding Mannfred, he's cool, I guess...

Anyway, you are right. A better list, I thing at least, was:

Nagash

Necromancer

30 Skeletons

10 Skeletons

10 Wolves

20 Grimghast Reapers

Umbral Spellportal

Soffocating Gravetide (to fill the points...)

No vampires in the vampires army... but could be good if you want to build around nagash...

Thoughts?

Yeah I think that's probably better, best you can do is run both lists and see how you feel. I've played around 5 or 6 games with Mannfred now, and he definitely feels like more of a support piece, potentially assassinating small support heroes or an MSU chaff unit then teleporting away to buff your main forces when the opponent tries to deal with him.

Grimghasts are interesting, they do still benefit from Nagash's command ability which is great, and give the list some nice speed. 4+ unrendable save, rerolling 1s is still quite tanky, though they lose Deathless Minions having been relegated to Allies.

My list is very similar to this, but with 20 Grave Guard instead of Grimghast, Emerald Lifeswarm instead of Gravetide, and 2 x 20 zombies instead of the Skellies and Wolves. Loses a lot of speed compared to yours though. Running it as Legion of Night, Necromancer taking Morbegh's Claw to put Nagash on +5 at top bracket.

Your list is a very good alternative, less speed but more number. Copy that!!

Very good option these grave guards, I can try them too.

Finally, very good tip this Morbegh's Claw, I'm gonna bear it in mind.

Thanks for your help.

Soulblight Gravelords won the Circle City Clash tournament with this list:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs:
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
Necromancer (125)
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
- Command Trait: Pack Alpha
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Vengorian Lord (280)
- Artefact: Sangsyron
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (255)
- Reinforced x 2
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Reinforced x 1
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Hunters of the Heartlands
20 x Grave Guard (280) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
- Reinforced x 1

Total: 1975 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 4 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 141

Interestingly enough, no blood knights and a lot of skelly boys!

Edited by Wordy9th
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Wordy9th said:

Hide contents

- Triumphs:
Necromancer (125)
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
Vengorian Lord (280)
- Reinforced x 2
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

I like this list becuase it validates a lot of my own list building decision.

It seems lots of heroes backed up by mostly infantry is a workable playstyle after all.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Do you guys have any tips to convert a female vengorian lord? and additional female blood knights? (they only have 2 included right?) Thank you for your help.

You could always do what I did, build Lauka Vai, but swap the hand and sword arm, they fit fine and having the sword up should help make enough of a difference! If not, you'd probably be looking at greenstuff-ing hair or a face.

As an unrelated question, I've been wondering on the specifics of Vahnel's Danse Macabre and Skeletons. Say, for instance, i had 30 skellies with VDM. Opponent fights, kills 15. I activate them, roll 15 dice, 4+ some stand up. My question is when i activate them again, do I roll 15 dice again? Possibly more if they died while attacking (such as mortal wounds on 6s to save from the opponent, or a second unit fighting them between my activations)? Their rule says to roll a dice for each model in this unit that was slain this phase, so I assume that's it, i just wanted to be sure! Thanks! :)

Edit: also i'm aware even rolling the extra dice, they'd never be able to go above 30 models, per the core rules :) forgot to say that!

Edited by mystycalchemy
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

You could always do what I did, build Lauka Vai, but swap the hand and sword arm, they fit fine and having the sword up should help make enough of a difference! If not, you'd probably be looking at greenstuff-ing hair or a face.

As an unrelated question, I've been wondering on the specifics of Vahnel's Danse Macabre and Skeletons. Say, for instance, i had 30 skellies with VDM. Opponent fights, kills 15. I activate them, roll 15 dice, 4+ some stand up. My question is when i activate them again, do I roll 15 dice again? Possibly more if they died while attacking (such as mortal wounds on 6s to save from the opponent, or a second unit fighting them between my activations)? Their rule says to roll a dice for each model in this unit that was slain this phase, so I assume that's it, i just wanted to be sure! Thanks! :)

Edit: also i'm aware even rolling the extra dice, they'd never be able to go above 30 models, per the core rules :) forgot to say that!

My conclusion in simple terms is roll for however many are still dead.

In longer terms, the final clause says for your to roll a dice for each model that was slain, and on a 4+, THAT model may stand up. As opposed to roll a dice for each model that has been slain, and add that many 4+ back to the unit.

So technically each model can only stand up once, and every time you roll a dice it is assigned to a specific model.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

There is some uncertainty about this and it was not adressed in the FAQ. Basically, there are two ways to read the rule: One is the way that you describe in your post, and the other is that you only roll dice for models that are currently dead (because the rule say "on a 4+ return that model", which could be read as implying the dice rolls are tied to specific models).

I personally play it like in your post, because that's how it works for battleshock (you count models that died even if they are brought back) and because the other reading seems like a bit of a book keeping nightmare.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

My conclusion in simple terms is roll for however many are still dead.

In longer terms, the final clause says for your to roll a dice for each model that was slain, and on a 4+, THAT model may stand up. As opposed to roll a dice for each model that has been slain, and add that many 4+ back to the unit.

So technically each model can only stand up once, and every time you roll a dice it is assigned to a specific model.

Makes sense! I missed that distinction! Still a great synergy, but not as scary as I thought it might've been :P

50 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

@Warbossironteef Good luck and hope you've got a quick recipe!!

I haven't built and zombies, are they just twenty straight forward models or is there any options at all such as different gead or arms,etc?

Im use an airbrush and oil washes. Im ready to go. :)

So I really really dislike the GW models.  The tombstone on back thing is not for me. 

These are just mantic zombies. They are cheap and you get 50 from a box. Not many options but if you mix them up they look good.

I prefer theas because IMO they have more of a hungry, shambling, horde feel to them. I don't like the sad, weird fantasy thing the new gw models have.

6 hours ago, mystycalchemy said:

Exactly what I did. Regular VG has the raised sword arm and the female torso and head. And then I gave Lauka Vai GS hair to differentiate the two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@Warbossironteef Good luck and hope you've got a quick recipe!!

I haven't built any zombies, are they just twenty straight forward models or is there any options at all such as different gead or arms,etc?

I found them the easiest kit to put together out of all the new Soulblight stuff. There's some options in the kit. If I remember correctly, they all have set legs but you have choice of torsos, heads, and for some of the zombies, weapons.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wordy9th said:

Reveal hidden contents

- Triumphs:
Necromancer (125)
Vampire Lord (140)
- General
Vengorian Lord (280)
- Reinforced x 2
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

I had this list pointed out to me too and I find it very interesting since it's very close to the armies I've been trying to run (rather unsuccessfully). The main differences between this list and the ones I've ran is that he's gone for what looks like pure defensive/objective play and doesn't use any dedicated hammers except for some grave guard.

Here's the list again:

Brendan Melnick: Guys from Milwaukee

Spoiler

- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Vampire Lord (140) in Warlord
- General
Vengorian Lord (280)
Necromancer (125) in Warlord
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200) in Warlord
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380) in Warlord
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour

Battleline
10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Warlord
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (255) in Hunters of the Heartlands
- Reinforced x 2
- Reinforced x 1

Units
- Great Wight Blades
- Reinforced x 1

Additional Enhancements
Artefact

I did a little digging and pulled up the tournament details of his run:

image.png.426ae10c98b72a9e4edd36c6284c0780.png

So he got 4 Major Wins and 1 Minor Win.

He scored all 5 tactics in 3 of his games, and only got 2/3 in the final two.

He completed his grand strategy (prized sorcery) in every game.

The tournament placings of his opponents were:

1. Nurgle -> 6th Place

2. Seraphon -> 3rd Place

3.  Sons of Behemot -> 2nd Place

4. Nurgle -> 7th Place

5. Sons of Behemot -> 5th Place

I would love to see some more details about how the games went and which tactics he chose for his games and how he played. I'd also like to see which battleplans they used for each round.

My guess is he played defensively since his army is quite immobile. His army does have some good buff synergies that can make his units pretty scary though: Under a Killing Moon (exploding 6's) + Vigour of Undeath (+1 to Hit/Wound) + Crimson Feast (+1 Attack) + Dance Macabre (Attack Twice).

What do you guys think of the list? As others have said, it's cool to see a non-Nagash list win a tournament.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

Apparently there was a Vyrkos win on the weekend in the UK, mentioned on The Honest Wargamer. I haven't had a chance to listen, as I'm at work.

Anyone get it?

I posted a summary a a few posts above.