AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

It looks good, however you have one artefact too many. Unless you take Warlord or Command Entourage you are limited to one.

With 30 skellies I would be tempted to run a Necromancer, as they get to return slain models each time they fight which Van Hels is great for. Maybe a swap for the foot vamp?

If burning head is filler, you could swap 20 zombies for 10 Dire Wolves, for some additional turn 1 speed as well as providing Bella with protection from the start?

• Like 1

Oh yes, Battle Regiment is wrong, it should be Warlord. :D

The thing is, I have not enough Wolves ready, that's why I play the 2x 20 Zombies, instead of 20 Zombies + 10 Wolves.

I also thought about switching the Vamp on Foot for Necro, to gain max value from the Skellies, I guess I will try it, thanks.

8 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

That said I think its an edge case, but Lumineth is likely the Paper to our Rock. Unless you just flood the board with chaff

Based on a lot of experience playing against Lumineth in general (including a little vs Lumineth with Soulblight in 3.0) I don't think this is true. There are certain builds of Lumineth that will be good against certain builds of Soulblight, I totally agree with that, but I don't think it's a bad matchup in general.

In the scenario you describe the other guy almost certainly isn't running Teclis, which means you have a much better chance of shutting down his magic, and if you cast spellportal first he won't be able to dispel it and then recast it during his turn.

One thing to consider about Lumineth (particularly Teclis lists) is that they struggle with battle tactics more than most factions. That can make a huge difference in many battleplans.

Teclis lists are also awkward in that they really need to castle around Teclis to maintain their ward save, spell shrug and casting bonus. It can often be difficult for them to bring all of their ranged firepower to bear on a single target while also staying in range of Teclis. This is particularly true of you play with a decent amount of scenery (not because of LOS blocking but because it gets in the way of movement).

Less hero heavy builds can really pose problems for Lumineth (particularly Teclis lists). I don't think you necessarily need to flood the board with chaff though. Something like 20-30 Blood Knights is really going to give Lumineth fits, particularly when supported by some cheap fast units like Fell Bats or by Belladamma.

If you are playing something like a double dragon list then yeah, I think Lumineth could be a hard matchup.

35 minutes ago, Tizianolol said:

guys i have a question about flaming weapons spell on VLoZD. can i chose to give +1 damage to claws or i have to chose VL lance? thx a lot

IIRC it has to be one of the wizard's weapon and not the mount's.

Hey guys, looking for some advice.

I’ve been playing 3.0 for four weeks now in a non-competitive setting with a limited player group. The two players I’m  playing against regularly are playing Zaitrec LRL and Hallowheart CoS.

Definitely having a lot of fun playing but I’m struggling to bring a competitive list to the table and I think it would be more fun for everyone if I brought a list that was stronger.

I’ve been running various Vyrkos lists with mixed success. Most of my losses have been close (within 2-3 points) or been minor loss tie breakers and a single blowout loss. My games generally come down to attrition though. I’m not really killing more than one or two units an entire game and am usually closing out points by holding objectives with lots of models before ending the games with only a unit or two left myself.

One of the biggest challenges is that I’m  getting locked out of a lot my army abilities. Shackles, total eclipse, spells that make heroes have to roll to move or charge, etc. We also play with the suggested 8 large size terrain pieces which makes it hard to maneuver around the board.

I’m at a bit of a loss on how to build a list that can compete but that isn’t just a “counter list”. Some ideas I’ve had is to try and build a list that doesn’t rely on any spells or command abilities since I’m consistently being shut down in the magic phase and generally have few CP to use each turn.

I also considered using larger monsters/heroes but I do face a lot of mortal wounds (in both my last two games I’ve had Radukar shot off in turn one, and once I had Radukar and a vengorian shot off the board the first turn).

Im still enjoying myself but advice would be welcome!

6 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

nooo, thats so bad so.. unlucky. i thought i could give spells buffs to mount :(

You can give it to the mount as its a spell. Artefacts and Traits are the only ones restricted to the rider I believe. Double check the core rules to be sure.

9 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

maybe telling us what your list consists in would help

I can post my lists below to share what I’ve been using so far. I do however have access to pretty much everything on the roster except for Nagash, Cursed City Heroes and the Coven Throne/Morris Engine so I’m fairly open to a variety of lists.

First Week

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords

- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line

- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders

Radukar the Beast (315) in Warlord

Necromancer (125) in Warlord

- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour

Vampire Lord (140) in Warlord

- General

- Command Trait: Driven by Deathstench 

- Artefact: Terminus Clock 

- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435) in Warlord

- Deathlance

- Artefact: Sangsyron 

- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon

Battleline

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)

10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Warlord

Units

5 x Blood Knights (195) in Hunters of the Heartlands

10 x Grave Guard (140)

- Great Wight Blades

10 x Grave Guard (140)

- Great Wight Blades

Additional Enhancements

Artefact

Total: 2000 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 0 / 4

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 136

Second Week

Spoiler

Leaders

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200) in Warlord

- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale

- General

- Command Trait: Spoor Trackers 

Vampire Lord (140) in Vanguard

- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115) in Warlord

10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85)

Units

10 x Grave Guard (140) in Vanguard

- Great Wight Blades

- Great Wight Blades

Total: 1980 / 2000

Wounds: 161

Third Week

Spoiler

Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 

Triumphs:

Leaders

Vengorian Lord (280)

- General

- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact) - Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon 

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)

- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Radukar the Beast (315) 

in Battle Regiment

Battleline

in Battle Regiment 

in Battle Regiment

10 x Dire Wolves (135) 

in Battle Regiment

20 x Deathrattle Skeletons (170) 

in Battle Regiment 

- Reinforced x 1

Units

5 x Blood Knights (195)

in Hunters of the Heartlands 

5 x Blood Knights (195) 

20 x Grave Guard (280)

- Great Wight Blades

- Reinforced x 1

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4 

Fourth Week

Spoiler

- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery

Leaders

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200) in Battle Regiment

- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Radukar the Beast (315) in Battle Regiment

Vengorian Lord (280) in Command Entourage

- General

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)

Vampire Lord (140) in Command Entourage

Necromancer (125) in Command Entourage

Battleline

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115) in Battle Regiment

10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Battle Regiment

Units

5 x Blood Knights (195) in Battle Regiment

20 x Grave Guard (280) in Battle Regiment

- Great Wight Blades

- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1995 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Wounds: 116

I've been collecting and assembling the army over time and have had more and more pieces come in through the weeks, which is partly why this list has changed up. The fourth list is the one that got completely crushed.

I'm still quite new to the game. Prior to 3.0 I played about.. five games I think? So I know my piloting ability is definitely a factor.

Edited by Kaizennus
Added in lists.

6 hours ago, Kaizennus said:

I can post my lists below to share what I’ve been using so far. I do however have access to pretty much everything on the roster except for Nagash, Cursed City Heroes and the Coven Throne/Morris Engine so I’m fairly open to a variety of lists.

First Week

Hide contents

Leaders

Necromancer (125) in Warlord

- General

- Command Trait: Driven by Deathstench 

- Lore of the Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435) in Warlord

- Deathlance

- Artefact: Sangsyron 

Battleline

10 x Deathrattle Skeletons (85) in Warlord

Units

10 x Grave Guard (140)

- Great Wight Blades

10 x Grave Guard (140)

- Great Wight Blades

Additional Enhancements

Artefact

Wounds: 136

Second Week

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200) in Warlord

- General

Vampire Lord (140) in Vanguard

- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)

Battleline

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115) in Warlord

Units

- Great Wight Blades

- Great Wight Blades

Total: 1980 / 2000

Third Week

Hide contents

Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Grand Strategy: Hold the Line 

Triumphs:

Leaders

Vengorian Lord (280)

- General

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact) - Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon 

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)

- Universal Spell Lore: Levitate

Radukar the Beast (315) 

in Battle Regiment

Battleline

in Battle Regiment 

in Battle Regiment

10 x Dire Wolves (135) 

in Battle Regiment

20 x Deathrattle Skeletons (170) 

in Battle Regiment 

- Reinforced x 1

Units

5 x Blood Knights (195)

5 x Blood Knights (195) 

20 x Grave Guard (280)

- Great Wight Blades

- Reinforced x 1

Reinforced Units: 2 / 4 

Fourth Week

Hide contents

Leaders

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200) in Battle Regiment

Radukar the Beast (315) in Battle Regiment

Vengorian Lord (280) in Command Entourage

- General

- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)

Vampire Lord (140) in Command Entourage

Necromancer (125) in Command Entourage

Battleline

20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115) in Battle Regiment

Units

5 x Blood Knights (195) in Battle Regiment

20 x Grave Guard (280) in Battle Regiment

- Great Wight Blades

- Reinforced x 1

Endless Spells & Invocations

Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

Umbral Spellportal (70)

Total: 1995 / 2000

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4

Wounds: 116

I've been collecting and assembling the army over time and have had more and more pieces come in through the weeks, which is partly why this list has changed up. The fourth list is the one that got completely crushed.

I'm still quite new to the game. Prior to 3.0 I played about.. five games I think? So I know my piloting ability is definitely a factor.

Super quick feedback is your lists arent focused enough. You're trying to use too many units and support heros. 

My quick take aways are you need at least one hammer, more bodies and more focused buffs. So for example, Bloodknights and Graveguard are both really good when buffed and built around but I wouldnt necessarily try to do both in a list. You can do it, but it's more difficult to do.

I really like 40 or 60 man Zombie units in my lists because they do really well unsupported and dont need buffs. 

If you want to simplify your list, not a bad idea as a newer player, Id cut back on support heroes, bring more independent units, zombies, Mann, Prince V, and focus on a few units to buff like 2x5 bloodknights. 

Just my general feedback from your  lists

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

Has anyone tried the Vyrkos Bloodborn in their games? Are they worth taking or are they outclassed by other gravelords units with a similar purpose.

They're pretty significantly outclassed by blood knights point for point, though bloodborn are cheaper, so in theory you could have a list that just couldnt fit the blood knights.  But you can usually find the room.

• Like 1

I’ve tried the Bloodborn in a few games, two of them were before they split the crew up, the last one was with them and the Vargskyr attached to my Belladamma/Radukar the Beast list, mostly for staying on theme and using models I really like.

With their speed and small footprint, along with similar threats, they can help turn the rear line upside down, while also being cheap enough that you don‘t mind slipping around the cracks with them and aiming to score the easier battle tactics that you don’t want a more important hammer style unit to have to waste their time doing.  It’s nice having more than just 2x3 fell bats,  and these guys will also almost always out-chaff the chaff IME, able to deal with small threats quite easily, things that you also dont want your main battle line to need to chase down, typically because they can’t.  Call to the Hunt is a big boon for these guys, I’d like to try 3-4 units of them with a Bloodseeker Palanquin just for fun.

I honestly don’t know how these double dragon armies are getting to objectives and out scoring opponents.  It seems the theory in those builds is to kill as much as possible, and scoring because a matter of convenience, but I think against the better opponents and armies all cavalry/monster lists Will get bogged down and zoned out, a lot like Flyers in 40K, if they have nowhere to land or push a significant opposition force around they really can’t do much other than chew on the chaff they’re fed, especially with boards with any kind of sizeable terrain IMO.  I’ve found while Monstrous Heroes get a lot of work done with all the heals, they do jack for scoring when they get caught in a slug fest with another monstrous hero that takes two/three rounds of combat.  With Yndrasta, and Nagash and Archaon, (all the gods seem good now really) suddenly reigning supreme bringing anything other than them can seem like a waste of points or just plain bad strategy.

Edited by Andalf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:15 AM, Kaizennus said:

still enjoying myself but advice would be welcome!

First what @Warbossironteef said…  a bit too „all over the place“, think about things that will crush / concern your opponent. And if you can built 2 maybe 3 little  „deathstars“ your opponent will be pressed for right target priority.

if the shooting is too oppressive, maybe you can wedge in the palisade 🤔

Does anyone know if realm artefacts are still legal? They are from GHB 2020, but Warscroll Builder still lists them.

If they are, the Gravesand Brooch from Shyish seems really good in Gravelords. Possibly better than the Amulet of Destiny on our big hero monsters. Rerolling 1s to save on a 3+ save is already better than going to a 2+, and now we could easily be sitting on a 2+ rerolling with Mystic Shield, Finest Hour or All-Out Defense.

I suspect the artefacts are no longer legal, because I have not seen anyone mention this combo yet, but if they are...

4 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Does anyone know if realm artefacts are still legal? They are from GHB 2020, but Warscroll Builder still lists them.

If they are, the Gravesand Brooch from Shyish seems really good in Gravelords. Possibly better than the Amulet of Destiny on our big hero monsters. Rerolling 1s to save on a 3+ save is already better than going to a 2+, and now we could easily be sitting on a 2+ rerolling with Mystic Shield, Finest Hour or All-Out Defense.

I suspect the artefacts are no longer legal, because I have not seen anyone mention this combo yet, but if they are...

I think in matched play all games are now considered to take place in Ghur and you only have the GHB artifacts available.

I could be wrong though.

I had a game yesterday against StD with my list mentioned a couple of pages ago. I now have one question: What role do you use Zombies for? To be honest for me they felt REALLY underwhelming: They have ZERO punch and also ZERO staying power, so I cannot even use them as reliable objective holders, they just felt really really underwhelming. :(

Just now, Kaizennus said:

I think in matched play all games are now considered to take place in Ghur and you only have the GHB artifacts available.

I could be wrong though.

Realm artefacts were always from the realm your dudes are from, not the realm where the battle takes place. It's a bit weird at the moment: I think realms of origin are still in the game. They FAQ'd Cities of Sigmar to no longer be realm-locked, so it seems like these rules still exist. They are originally from Malign Sorcery, but I am not sure if that book is still matched play legal.

17 hours ago, Warbossironteef said:

Doea anyone here have advice for what mini mag trays are the best for large Zombie units 40 or 60 mans? It seems like the 5 man ones on base to base are the best but not sure. 

Yes, in my opinion they gave the best flexibility in moving and deployment 

31 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My understanding is that they're not included in the GHB or Core Rules and thus they have been removed. I believe the GHB 2021 lists which publications are legal and "in play". Malign Sorcery/Forbidden Power were missing (can't double check as at work) and obviously GHB 20 is superseded by 21.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ferrus65 said:

Yes, in my opinion they gave the best flexibility in moving and deployment 

They're great, I've used them for a while, however they can become very annoying once you start getting in to combat and you're trying to pile in every model perfectly, adding and removing casualties etc, especially if there's terrain or other units around that you're trying to keep out of 3" etc.

Just now, Liquidsteel said:

My understanding is that they're not included in the GHB or Core Rules and thus they have been removed. I believe the GHB 2021 lists which publications are legal and "in play". Malign Sorcery/Forbidden Power were missing (can't double check as at work) and obviously GHB 20 is superseded by 21.

I suspected as much. I know that list exists in the GHB 2021, but I don't own the book yet to check. But this situation really makes the most sense, I guess it's just Warscroll Builder who made a mistake (understandable, honestly, the rules are still really unclear right now).

Awesome, a monster mash Avengorii list placed over the weekend.

It's super cool to see a list like this can do decently. =D

- Lineage: Avengorii Dynasty

LEADERS
Prince Vhordrai (455)

Vengorian Lord (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Torment-driven Throes
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny

Lauka Vai, Mother of Nightmares (285)