AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

23 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

I just realized something and i feel pretty dumb now for not making the connection before.
If the more command points per turn of AoS3 is true then the coven throne will be more than worth its points and it will be very hard for me to justify not including it in every list. 

Its still kinda squishy so it dies turn 1 to shooting and its costly... but lets see

9 minutes ago, Honk said:

If we still had cool bat swarms... 😏

yeah, that is sad. There still hope for a second wave with a bat swarm endless spell but untill now we are a bit sad in that department. 

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think the Coven Throne can get cover, though. It's not a monster, at least.

true, that is quite good although i have a feeling that terrains are going to get revamped like they have been in 40k

7 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

I just realized something and i feel pretty dumb now for not making the connection before.
If the more command points per turn of AoS3 is true then the coven throne will be more than worth its points and it will be very hard for me to justify not including it in every list. 

I'm holding off on buying a Coven Throne specifically to see what the Command Point economy looks like in AoS3. Number of command points granted being increased would definitely help it, but it matters by how much. I've also heard rumors some of the generic command abilities might be changed, so I want to take a look at that too.

I'm just going to leave this here: after one game using proxies for them, if the new Blood Knights are FAQ'ed and/or the wording of the movement phase changes in AoS 3 to make clear they can leave combat and then charge again, BKs are going to be very competitive and the source of a major power build for SBGL.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I definitely think that if Command Points are more plentiful our book is a lot better off, since so much of the buffs revolve around Command Abilities. I HAVE to think that "generals" will play a role in some form or fashion in regards to command points.

Which makes Vyrkos even stronger if that's the case

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

if mistic shiled goes back to being +1 save it will be considerably harder to kill

While true, this also means the usefulness of +1 save buffs will diminish (assuming +save is capped at +1). I much rather spend 70 extra points and get Mannfred that provides a similar buff (Shield+CA) and a potential +1A buff, along with everything else he brings. 

22 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

I'm just going to leave this here: after one game using proxies for them

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions based on a single game, but I agree, if they are FAQ'd to be able to charge after they run over a unit they will go from good to great. Being able to constantly re-apply Martial Fury makes a huge difference in their damage output over time and keeps them from getting stuck in a grindy combat forever. Basically removes their main weakness.

1 hour ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

I'm holding off on buying a Coven Throne specifically to see what the Command Point economy looks like in AoS3. Number of command points granted being increased would definitely help it, but it matters by how much. I've also heard rumors some of the generic command abilities might be changed, so I want to take a look at that too.

yes yes, of course. I was just pretasting a little bit my 20 2+/2+/-1/D3 bloodknights with 2+ save xD

26 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

I'm just going to leave this here: after one game using proxies for them, if the new Blood Knights are FAQ'ed and/or the wording of the movement phase changes in AoS 3 to make clear they can leave combat and then charge again, BKs are going to be very competitive and the source of a major power build for SBGL.

that would make them incredibly powerful, yes. Expecially if we get a load of CPs

25 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I definitely think that if Command Points are more plentiful our book is a lot better off, since so much of the buffs revolve around Command Abilities. I HAVE to think that "generals" will play a role in some form or fashion in regards to command points.

imma say x CP depending on the detachment you take (i suppose that is what the "generic battalions" are) plus 1 per turn plus one for each general. 

5 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Which makes Vyrkos even stronger if that's the case

yes, it would probably confirm them as the strongest bloodline but everyone in the book would benefit from it

9 minutes ago, umpac said:

While true, this also means the usefulness of +1 save buffs will diminish (assuming +save is capped at +1). I much rather spend 70 extra points and get Mannfred that provides a similar buff (Shield+CA) and a potential +1A buff, along with everything else he brings. 

well yes but:
-a 3+ save with the shield is pretty good by itself, i dont think a buffed throne is going to be easily shot down
-mannfred is only going to be an efficent general in LoN and it might be important if it gives you CPs. 
For example, if every general nets you a CP at the start of your turn:
i am already planning to have a free general named character (like vhordrai in kastelai or neferata in LoB) and i have a choice between manny and the throne. I might as well get the throne and make it the general since i would get an extra CP to use its CA. I could still get manny and another nameless but that is starting to get a bit costly
It very much depends on the exact ruling for CP generation 

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

3 hours ago, Reinholt said:

Yes. This. Retreat+ Charge is an incredibly strong ability to have, especially on durable hard-hitting already almost point-efficient units. They are also pretty easy to buff and benefit from a lot of different things. +1 sv, hit, wound and reroll1's of any sort are all great on them.

I think this will be the breakaway winner from the book if it turns out to be the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Why? Because GW wants us to always play with named characters to maximize that bonus? I'm skeptical.

I honestly hate playing with named characters. Unfortunately most of the good-ish heroes are named 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Someones been busy

Literally, every day after work for 5-6 hours. Release weekend was nothing but building, painting and sleeping. Flocking bases today and starting the coven throne. It’s been a huge project. 

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, El Antiguo Guardián said:

I´m starting thinking about vampires list, even if for the ETC I can´t oplay them. This is the first list I had prepared, I´m worried because OP armies of 2.0. can destroy our boys, but I suppose that 3.0. will come with some kind of points changes for all the old books.

Whats considered an 'old book'? Is that anthing pre-3.0? Soulblight is the last book of 2.0 and if thats anything to go on it wont be updated for years

7 minutes ago, Scythian said:

Literally, every day after work for 5-6 hours. Release weekend was nothing but building, painting and sleeping. Flocking bases today and starting the coven throne. It’s been a huge project. 

Wow thats hardcore lol

16 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Whats considered an 'old book'? Is that anthing pre-3.0? Soulblight is the last book of 2.0 and if thats anything to go on it wont be updated for years

Nah we got second wave next February with mounted vampire lord, new grave guard models, Vyrkos as a playable unit of their own, bat swarms, endless spells and Abhorash.

Right? 

On a more serious note, having read the book a bit more I’m now toying with purchasing Radukar the beast, choppy and his ability gives anything unit + 1 attack. Maybe him and Vhordrai are true best friends?

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, Malakithe said:

Someones been busy