AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

3 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

After seeing the new 3.0 rules, how is everyone feeling about the Avengorii dynasty? With smaller units across the board, an Avengorii MSU list seems like it could have great potential.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic at the moment. With the buffs to monsters and the fact that less armies will be taking giant hordes is going to be super helpful to monster lists. Also, considering that some of the generic artifacts are better than the awful Avengorii Dynasty artifacts there could be some super great combinations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

After seeing the new 3.0 rules, how is everyone feeling about the Avengorii dynasty? With smaller units across the board, an Avengorii MSU list seems like it could have great potential.

Some things look fun, but it's going to bug me that they can't use terrorgheists/zombie dragons to make a linebreaker battalion, since it seems like they should be the subfaction that can do that with the most ease.

I was thinking about my coven throne substitute (due to the throne not being able to spam its CA) in my kastelai army and i gave a look to radukar the beast. Mind you that i would like to field Prince V, a vengorian lord and spam bloodknights, so i started thinking about possible combos and i noticed that radukar actually fares really well in the army.
He is a very good target for both the vengorian lord and Prince V CAs, his own CA is incredibily good and will buff bloodknights, V lord and prince V into the stars, not to mention he is rather mean in melee.
But then i wondered: the CA rule says that a unit cannot be targeted by a CA but Radukar's is worded like it targets him instead of all the other units it buffs. Can i use all out attack on say a bloodknight unit along with call to the hunt since it looks like they target different units?
I think i am going to field him either way but it would be cool if i could. Imma represent him with a conversion of the red duke on foot along with the dark knight :D

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

But then i wondered: the CA rule says that a unit cannot be targeted by a CA but Radukar's is worded like it targets him instead of all the other units it buffs. Can i use all out attack on say a bloodknight unit along with call to the hunt since it looks like they target different units?

My understanding is that you can. The new rules say that a unit cannot issue or receive more than one command per phase. In the case of Radukar, he issues and receives the "Call to the Hunt" command. Others units still benefit from it, but there is nothing in the rules that prevents this from stacking with benefits from other command abilities.

• LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

My understanding is that you can. The new rules say that a unit cannot issue or receive more than one command per phase. In the case of Radukar, he issues and receives the "Call to the Hunt" command. Others units still benefit from it, but there is nothing in the rules that prevents this from stacking with benefits from other command abilities.

like damn. That is kinda of amazing. This should include mannfred's and neferata's right? Since they are bubbles i mean

1 minute ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

like damn. That is kinda of amazing. This should include mannfred's and neferata's right? Since they are bubbles i mean

Yes, that's right. It does not allow you to bypass the +1/-1 modifier cap, of course, but you can still benefit from all of them.

The new rule about issuing/receiving commands does not prevent buff stacking as much as it makes it slightly less brainless, because the command abilities that you can stack are bubbles that at least require positioning.

• Like 1

Now that the Coven Throne is meh, Mannfred's CA got a lot better, no? It's not as if the bubble was super-small. My narrative mind has a hard time making Mannfred or Radukar a permanent member of a Kastelai List, so I'll probably play either Double Dragon or Prince V + Vengorian Lord. Mannfred just as an observation, Radukar y'all already did. 

11 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

I feel like if I run Kastelai, I'll want Vhordrai plus a regular VLoZD, to really put the squeeze on with that Hero phase attack.

Yeah, I also feel like Double Dragon lists are gonna be one of the stronger options of Kastelai. We'll now always have enough CP to not think twice about triggering Prince V's CA.  There's still room for a block of 30 Skeletons, 3x 5 Blood Knights and one unit of Wolves and Bats each. Not sure if I want a Necromancer instead of the Bats to have better chances of being near the Skeletons for Deathly Invocation and simultaneously pumping up Invigorating Aura by another +1. The Unit Champions provide really good defensive Buffs even without the Necromancer, though. 

Re-reading how dice modifiers work, we can actually stack save modifiers against high rend attacks. The text say that we have to add up all the modifiers, and if it is more then +1, then you only get the +1. So if stack +2 against rend -2, we are on our normal save. There might be corner cases for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

Indeed, though it's still annoying that Grave Guard with Shields don't have their Save Characteristic changed as opposed to adding 1.

A natural 4+ save would have meant you get more mileage out of all the other sources of saves.

That's probably the reason why they did it 🤣  Have you seen the state of skeleton armour and shields too?  They have holes in them and covered in rust!

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think "ignore rend -1" is nearly as good as straight +1 to saves, anyway. It seems like most things worth caring about when it comes to offense have at least rend -1.

precisely. Shield grave guards are probably not scared of rend - units anyway

15 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

The ability that allows them to add a zombie on a 2+ when they kill a model.

Rules say no unit can go above double reinforcement size…

so the max unit strength is 60 models and even if the munch 20 more, sideline rule says you can’t add above , further models are lost. 🤷🏿‍♀️
but with the reinforcement rules msu are all around and the 6“ pile in (First strike in disguise), they could go up pretty rapidly 😈