AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

42 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Yea I may be jumping the gun as we have only seen small amounts of info.

It just seems very immersion-breaking for me. I can now have zombies drag enemies down and tear them apart, then turn them into zombies. Then the opponents commander can shout at the dead guy that is now a zombie and he somehow spawns into a second body and gets back up to fight himself as a zombie... just seems silly.

Bloodthirsters of insenate rage smashing people into explosions of gore.... but wait the general is shouting at us lads! Quick rebuild your bodies, find your organs and fight as if nothing happened!

Vampires and ghouls feasting on dead bodies.... but wait no! Come on lads get back up! Fight!

This will have to fall under the “we’re only seeing part of a bigger battle” I guess.  In other words the rally represents warriors from disrupted units in other parts of the battlefield joining up with a still intact unit.

Hopefully I can convince myself of this between now and then…

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If one wolf dies you lose coherency with that formation and lose all except three wolves.

True, its bad, but remember coherency changes as 5 models, so you'd lose all but 5. 

Oh well, so units will have to be less strung out. That will be mitigated by the smaller board space i guess. The smaller board will still allow you to screen vs deep strike. 

I think I actually like the coherency rules provided we see 40k style attacking in ranks. Should help me out on all the wholly within bubbles and would help explain the 1” reach spears on skellys. Maybe the weapon range refers to how far from an attacking model you can be to still strike in combat?🧐

4 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

Yea I may be jumping the gun as we have only seen small amounts of info.

It just seems very immersion-breaking for me. I can now have zombies drag enemies down and tear them apart, then turn them into zombies. Then the opponents commander can shout at the dead guy that is now a zombie and he somehow spawns into a second body and gets back up to fight himself as a zombie... just seems silly.

Bloodthirsters of insenate rage smashing people into explosions of gore.... but wait the general is shouting at us lads! Quick rebuild your bodies, find your organs and fight as if nothing happened!

Vampires and ghouls feasting on dead bodies.... but wait no! Come on lads get back up! Fight!

I totally agree with you - I guess their ownly reasoning would be those guys never truly died , were just harshly injured. And somehow muster up the spirit to fight - although yeah I am using your body now as my zombie … weird ..

26 minutes ago, Lich King said:

I totally agree with you - I guess their ownly reasoning would be those guys never truly died , were just harshly injured. And somehow muster up the spirit to fight - although yeah I am using your body now as my zombie … weird ..

I'll relieve your mental anguish. 

Zombies get added on a 2+ (5/6), and rally is on a 6 (1/6).

So the guys that didnt turn have the opportunity to return to combat by resisting the zombie plague!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

All the new rules are really a shake up...

and complicate the rule set and interactions a lot.

with the current references of GDubs rules writing team, I‘m expecting a whole new book of designers commentaries 🤣🙈

just had a heated „riders of ruin“ discussion, which ended in “your fluff text has nothing to do with the rules“.

not a good move to bring new people into the game, but I‘ll guess we’ll have to see what really comes our way, some of the things look brutal against us (overwatch) and some (extra regen) pretty op

fun times ahead, new lists , new rules , new everything 👻

9 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

A little worried about these snippets of into we've seen. Predominantly the heal d3 heroic ability. This seems to be able to be done in each hero phase. So some heroes are going to be impossibly hard to kill.

Cast a spell on a hero and do d3 mortals? Oh well he can now heal those d3 mortals and then on his turn heal another d3 mortals. So an average of healing 4 wounds each battle round. Imagine that on something like kragnos etc. or even our own heroes like mannfred, average healing 4 wounds on top of d3 from killing and negating 1 wound each phase?

I feel like a lot of these commands/heroic actions should be once per battle. I guess we are yet to see a lot of rules, but some of them just seem silly.

I think it's far to early to make the call.  On the surface the snippets we've seen seem really powerful, but until we've have confirmation on command point generation and some of the other rules, we don't know how big an impact it will have.  Currently I feel like we're watching a trailer for a film and we don't know if they've just compiled all the good bits together 🤣

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Wight Kings for sure have a purpose now as they provide rerolls for Deathrattle units. 

After actually doing the calculations, it's still the weakest buff you can put on them out of reroll 1s, +1 to hit and +1 attack. I guess it's OK if you are willing to pump in more than one command point.

So based on todays Slaves to Darkness article, it looks like in 3.0 we can only issue one Command Ability per phase or perhaps the same Hero can only issue one Command ability per phase. Here is the quote for reference:

"The Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount’s ability, The Knights of Chaos, is a great example. It lets you re-roll charges and adds 1 to rolls to hit, but it’s applied during the hero phase, allowing you to use All-out Defence on the same unit in the combat phase."

So if that is the case then perhaps no Coven Throne Command Ability on several units per turn.

Edited by BaylorCorvette

I'm sure you've all thought of this, but Belladona Volga's spell is our best counter to "Unleash Hell." That unit of Sentinals cannot "Unleash Hell" into our Blood Knights charging into the screening Wardens when two of them turned into direwolves chewing on their bowstrings. (You cannot use UH on a unit that is w/3" of a different enemy unit.)

I didn't pick her up on release, but I'm thinking she might qualify as an "auto-pick" in a shooting meta.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, BaylorCorvette said:

So based on todays Slaves to Darkness article, it looks like in 3.0 we can only issue one Command Ability per phase or perhaps the same Hero can only issue one Command ability per phase. Here is the quote for reference:

"The Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount’s ability, The Knights of Chaos, is a great example. It lets you re-roll charges and adds 1 to rolls to hit, but it’s applied during the hero phase, allowing you to use All-out Defence on the same unit in the combat phase."

So if that is the case then perhaps no Coven Throne Command Ability on several units per turn.

There's three-ish possibilities here. That's definitely one of them, but it could be that a unit can't receive command more than one command ability, but the hero might be able to issue more than one. Also, the WarComm team could have miscommunicated--it's happened before.

We really have no idea until we see the full rules. I would advise against making a decision on a Coven Throne based on previews, regardless of whether the snippets make it look like a good idea or a bad one, because they aren't the full rules and are definitely going to be missing context.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, annarborhawk said:

I'm sure you've all thought of this, but Belladona Volga's spell is our best counter to "Unleash Hell." That unit of Sentinals cannot "Unleash Hell" into our Blood Knights charging into the screening Wardens when two of them turned into direwolves chewing on their bowstrings. (You cannot use UH on a unit that is w/3" of a different enemy unit.)

I didn't pick her up on release, but I'm thinking she might qualify as an "auto-pick" in a shooting meta.

It's why I picked up vampire grandma myself due to the spell easily tying up ranged units, plus she's a cool model, the unleash hell work around is a bonus for me. Plus she has decent survibility, when I think of vampire lord, I look to Belladona and Radukar. Overall I think Vyrkos are going to be pretty good for AOS 3. 

Edited by shinros

3 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Confirms that blood knights can use Riders of Ruin and charge in the same turn? 

It STRONGLY hints at that. I just tweeted at Ben Johnson for clarification. We'll see if he responds. He did respond to my tweet earlier in the week clarifying that Unleash Hell can be used even if the unit using it wasn't charged.

Edited by BaylorCorvette
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

those gdubs gagglef**ks said again that bloodknights can charge after riders of ruin, that IF THEY ARE NOT ****** IT UP AGAIN confirms them as the competitive unit of the book

Knowing WarComm they mean that you can charge a turn or two later after you use Riders of Ruin, lol.

Edited by BaylorCorvette