AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

Here's an example of how to use the new core battalions. This is the list I am working on right now:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Sangsyron
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
Radukar the Beast (315)
Necromancer (125)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Prison of Grief

30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (255)
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 1975 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

This was a list I build before battalions were revealed. Without changing anything, I can put the VLoZD, Belladamma and the Necromancer into a Command Entourage and gain a command point or enhancement.

The rest of the guys can go into a Battle Regiment and bring drops down, making the list 4 drops.

Alternatively, three heroes and one unit can go into a Warlord battalion. This brings drops up by one, but give both an extra command point and enhancement. Might be worth considering to get an artefact or whatever else enhancements are for the Necromancer (command trait?).

I think this will be a basic way to use core battalions: Just grab an extra artefact/command point and bring down drops as much as possible.

Hello Guys,

Today I had the chance to take a look into the new core rules and the first thing I looked into was the movement phase.

I have good news for the blood knights.                                                                                                                                                    In the new edition the normal move and retreat are seperate rules. If you are within 3" of an enemy unit you can only retreat and if your unit is not within 3" you can make a normal move.

But the Riders of Ruin says you can make a normal move within 3" so that means you can charge after the move.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, SomethingGood said:

Hello Guys,

Today I had the chance to take a look into the new core rules and the first thing I looked into was the movement phase.

I have good news for the blood knights.                                                                                                                                                    In the new edition the normal move and retreat are seperate rules. If you are within 3" of an enemy unit you can only retreat and if your unit is not within 3" you can make a normal move.

But the Riders of Ruin says you can make a normal move within 3" so that means you can charge after the move.

Great news! Any other dramatic changes? Actually the biggest question I have is about Battalions. The article today was vague and did not specifically say if Warscroll Battalions are legal in matched play. Did you happen to see anything about that? Can you only take the new Core Battalions in matched play now?

2 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Great news! Any other dramatic changes? Actually the biggest question I have is about Battalions. The article today was vague and did not specifically say if Warscroll Battalions are legal in matched play. Did you happen to see anything about that? Can you only take the new Core Battalions in matched play now?

Sadly I didn`t have enough time  today to look over everything. Maybe tomorrow. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

mighty sus but if you are legit thanks and bless your soul

It does look sus but I didn`t want to read all the new rules because I still have a Tournament next month with the old edition and I don´t want to confuse myself with all the new rules.

I only looked up the movementphase because I wanted to know if GW messed up the rules or they designed the Bloodknights for the new edition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SomethingGood said:

Hello Guys,

So you're saying my three boxes of blood knights are not enough? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Here's an example of how to use the new core battalions. This is the list I am working on right now:

Hide contents

- General
- Deathlance
Radukar the Beast (315)
Necromancer (125)

10 x Dire Wolves (135)
20 x Grave Guard (280)

This was a list I build before battalions were revealed. Without changing anything, I can put the VLoZD, Belladamma and the Necromancer into a Command Entourage and gain a command point or enhancement.

The rest of the guys can go into a Battle Regiment and bring drops down, making the list 4 drops.

Alternatively, three heroes and one unit can go into a Warlord battalion. This brings drops up by one, but give both an extra command point and enhancement. Might be worth considering to get an artefact or whatever else enhancements are for the Necromancer (command trait?).

I think this will be a basic way to use core battalions: Just grab an extra artefact/command point and bring down drops as much as possible.

Also, mildly interesting, your list works with the new rule on maxing unit size: you have exactly four reinforcements!

1 minute ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

Also, mildly interesting, your list works with the new rule on maxing unit size: you have exactly four reinforcements!

Had to reduce grave guard by 10, but upped the size of the zombie blob instead. I think I had accidentally built the kind of list the new rules want to encourage because I had built it to have a bunch of units capable of acting independently, so I hardly had to change anything.

Gravelords are in a really good spot with reinforcements: Max zombies are only one point and are available to lineage. That means we have a very easy time bringing blocks of 40 when most other armies will struggle to have more than one block of 30.

Direwolves want to be min size anyway, so that's cool.

You still have to pay 2 reinforcements for 30 skeletons, but since they will overall face smaller units, they will probably last longer now.

• Like 1

@Neil Arthur Hotep zombies might even be taken in blocks of 60 now if reinforcement rules supercede the old max unit sizes. We'll see.

And yeah, the reinforcement rules are one of the reasons why I wasn't quite so down on Skeleton Warriors as many. I still don't like them in large blocks, but at min size they will perform well against other small units. For example, even a 10 model unit with a profile of 2/3+/3+/-1/1 will struggle to get through 10 skeletons in melee, killing about 6 of them on average. You get 3 back when you hit back bringing you back up to 7. You might lose 1 or 2 more if you are unlucky to battleshock, but at this rate it will take the enemy several rounds of combat to grind down the skeletons and that's not accounting for any models that you manage to bring back. As the skeletons chip away they will quickly stabilize. Something like a unit of 5 Liberators is just never going to push 10 skeletons off an objective unless they get very lucky.

I like 30 skeletons less because at that size if they run into an equal strength unit they will be in a position to lose a lot more models to battleshock, which will greatly accelerate the pace at which the unit falls apart.

aight lets try this:

- Lineage: Kastelai Dynasty
Prince Vhordrai (455)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

- General
Vengorian Lord (280)
-Lore of Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

-General Rousing commander
-Fragment of the Keep

Coven Throne (310)
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale

-Banner of the Blood Keep

5 xBloodknights (195)
5 xBloodknights (195)

5 xBloodknights (195)
5 xBloodknights (195)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Total: 1960 / 2000

All of this assuming that core battalions give you an extra artifact, otherwhise remove the flag from the throne. The knights and the heroes should all go in the one drop battalion

• LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

aight lets try this:

- Lineage: Kastelai Dynasty
Prince Vhordrai (455)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

- General
Vengorian Lord (280)
-Lore of Vampires: Amaranthine Orb

-General Rousing commander
-Fragment of the Keep

Coven Throne (310)
- Lore of the Vampires: Spirit Gale

-Banner of the Blood Keep

5 xBloodknights (195)
5 xBloodknights (195)

5 xBloodknights (195)
5 xBloodknights (195)
10 x Dire Wolves (135)

Total: 1960 / 2000

All of this assuming that core battalions give you an extra artifact, otherwhise remove the flag from the throne. The knights and the heroes should all go in the one drop battalion

You want ecerything to be in Battle Regiment, right?

I think your heroes are too big for that. They need to be below 10 wounds to be sub-commanders. I also believe the core battalions will probably not give artefacts unless they grant "magnificent".

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You want ecerything to be in Battle Regiment, right?

I think your heroes are too big for that. They need to be below 10 wounds to be sub-commanders. I also believe the core battalions will probably not give artefacts unless they grant "magnificent".

not necessarily everything, i guess the vengorian lord and the throne stay out, still three drops though. As for the artifact we shall see, it would be a bit of a bummer but whatever i guess

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

With the new Contest of General which tell you how many of every unit type you can bring etc. Which of the alternativ is an unit that is not Battleline? Because if i understand correctly, "Reinforced Units" are units that is taken more than Minimum sizes. 

"Perhaps you noticed the line from the Contest of Generals battlepack that mentioned reinforced units? These units are simply double the size of the minimum listed in their Pitched Battle profile. If the unit has the Battleline battlefield role, you can reinforce them twice, making them three times the minimum size."

I know it isnt great but i finnally i got my vampires ready with only 3 start collectings,one box of blood knigths and 10 olds skeletons

- Lineage: Legion of Night

Leaders
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)
Prince Vhordrai (455)
Wight King on Skeletal Steed (130)
- General
Necromancer (125)

Battleline
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
3 x Vargheists (155)

Units
5 x Blood Knights (195)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

I think i gonna can get the new battallion for extra cp and relik

• Like 1

I'll swap the list-talk from the Black Knights thread here as my last post didn't mention any Black Knights, haha. 

We declared the core of a Kastelai list basically this:

- Prince V

- Coven Throne (if CA usable multiple times a round) 

- Skeletons (max size for objectives) 

- Blood Knights (MSU 5 per unit or 10+5; so at least 15 Blood Knights) 

This still has around 400 pts left to spend. Battleline is already taken care of with the Blood Knights and the Skeletons. If the Coven Throne's CA is not usable on multiple units, I think we have to talk about its spot in that list. Vengorian Lord (because of Monster + Hero) or even another VLoZD are both viable options, I guess. For the rest of the list, Wolves, Bats or Vargheists are all neat. 

10 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Hide contents

- General
- Deathlance
Radukar the Beast (315)
Necromancer (125)

10 x Dire Wolves (135)
20 x Grave Guard (280)

In AOS 3.0 Zombie and skeleton warrior units is twise reinforsed unit and couns like 2 reinforsed unit. GG unit reinforsed too....so it is 5/4(for 2k matched play) reinforsed unit=(

Upd. Sorry,zombie with new size is one reinforsed unit,all correct

Edited by lugdan

We are all assuming that 'drops' will work in a similar manner as they do now. And CP gain and extra items from battalions. I dont think battalions will enable single drops anymore based on what the Battle Regiment says: One-Drop Deployment. Which to me translates that all others do not gain the benefits of reduced drops.

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

dont think battalions will enable single drops anymore based on what the Battle Regiment says: One-Drop Deployment.

That’s what I wondered too. Since it is specifically mentioned in one core battalion, it probably doesn’t count for all the others. If the core battalion are for free, I guess they also don’t get an artifact or an extra cp (except when they do) 

interesting to see how the new rules work for the warscroll battalions 🤔 hope they stay one drop + artifact + cp. well, can’t wait to gin-t the new rules in the sun (with extra heavy sunscreen).

right now I’m a bit hesitant to get started, since the whole foundation changes massively very soon 😅

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

We are all assuming that 'drops' will work in a similar manner as they do now. And CP gain and extra items from battalions. I dont think battalions will enable single drops anymore based on what the Battle Regiment says: One-Drop Deployment. Which to me translates that all others do not gain the benefits of reduced drops.

Yeah, that is exactly what I was assuming, too. That's why I used two battalions in my example: Command entourage for the command point/enhancement and Battle Regiment to bring drops down.

1 hour ago, Liquidsteel said:

I'm still not totally convinced by the Coven Throne, for the points you can just get more bodies/blood knights.

I quite like the idea of Vhordrai + VLoZD.

If the Coven Throne can give its CA multiple times per round and ideally can target like Prince V, a unit of Blood Knights and the objective holding Skeletons, I think it's a great support piece. Once per turn doesn't make up for the points, though. 

But since we now get more CP, we can basically include Prince V's CA into the equation. A VLoZD with Swift & Deadly (re-roll Charges in 12") and The Red Casket (once per battle +3" to Charging) has a super-high chance of getting the charge in the turn it entered the battlefield via The Crimson Keep.