AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Well this is definitely the nail in the coffin for taking more than 5 man Blood Knight units. Unit coherency is seeing a fairly significant change for units with more than 5 models, needing to be within 1" of at least two other models from their unit.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/07/stormcast-eternals-in-the-new-edition-elite-versatile-champions-of-order/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoSFFStormcast7June21&utm_content=AoSFFStormcast7June21&fbclid=IwAR16ydj4ZVWjT86heOnJFOr9STbmXcrafL14vK965Xk4ZTEd1Sn2GkDiuPg

I'm more concerned with Direwolves, personally. I feel having to go two ranks deep definitely diminishes their utility quite a bit.

Is this the rise of the Black Knight meta? Probably not, but still sucks for direwolves.

6 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'm more concerned with Direwolves, personally. I feel having to go two ranks deep definitely diminishes their utility quite a bit.

Is this the rise of the Black Knight meta? Probably not, but still sucks for direwolves.

Deploy the flying V!

FB_IMG_1623091602696.jpg

• Like 6

I need some help..i started with the soulblight army just because i have warhammer cursed city and painted all models:) so now i bought a few additional units and models but would really love to bring a couple of the wq models back to the table without taking“all“. Anyone who has an estimate for each member of that big group of 755 points? Its just for games with friends and you guys might have enough experience to make an estimate

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Night
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead(975)
Necromancer (125)
- Artefact: Morbheg's Claw  
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Wight King (115)
- General
- Command Trait: Swift Form  

Battleline
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

hey fellas trying to pick a good Nagash list….. thoughts on this one?

2 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

How are y'all going to protect your Coven Thrones? With Kastelai, I think Standard of the Crimson Keep to survive shooting better and some Wolves to keep it from getting charged. Other plans? 

Hide it behind terrain. The thing is expensive already, investing more points to protect it makes it perform worse ^^

36 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Hide it behind terrain. The thing is expensive already, investing more points to protect it makes it perform worse ^^

But it's so high, haha. 

e: Ah well, Wolves also don't protect it from being high. So the consensus is to just be smart with its positioning, no dedicated support? I'll up my positioning-game, then :'D

Edited by AHexInScarletRed

16 minutes ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

But it's so high, haha. 

e: Ah well, Wolves also don't protect it from being high. So the consensus is to just be smart with its positioning, no dedicated support? I'll up my positioning-game, then :'D

Overgrown terrain will protect it from line of sight no matter how tall the throne is :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Banshee1978 said:

I need some help..i started with the soulblight army just because i have warhammer cursed city and painted all models:) so now i bought a few additional units and models but would really love to bring a couple of the wq models back to the table without taking“all“. Anyone who has an estimate for each member of that big group of 755 points? Its just for games with friends and you guys might have enough experience to make an estimate

@JackStreicher has suggested these points before:

Vargskyr : Varghulf Points (same stats) 160

Torgilius:  almost Necromancer points 125

Gorslav: almost Wight king Points 115

Radukar: Vampire Lord +20, pts 160

Vyrkos Bloodborn: 115 points seems plausible 

Korsagi Night Guard: cost as much as 2 Ogor Gluttons, 80 points

Halgrim: Wight King 115 points

Combined: 755 (+ 115) points

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

How are y'all going to protect your Coven Thrones? With Kastelai, I think Standard of the Crimson Keep to survive shooting better and some Wolves to keep it from getting charged. Other plans? 

in kastelai ill give it the brick but in aos3 i would not worry about is surviving, cover is a thing, mystic shield is probably going back to being +1 save and we regen like motherfu***rs in the hero phases. I think it could be pretty fine

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

15 hours ago, Sorrow said:

@Neil Arthur Hotep@swarmofseals@Honk

My sincere thanks!

Final question, thoughts on Lauka Vai and Radukar the Beast?

I ask because I am planning a order, so I am gauging which way to go.

Radukar is good! He's a character with a good support ability that can hit pretty hard and can summon a unit of direwolves to the table once per game. You can take him outside of Vyrkos, too, since he only benefits minimally from the Vyrkos allegiance abilities (gives out +1 to wound, but that's it).

Lauka Vai is not bad, either, but I think in non-Anvengorii lists, the Vengorian Lord has more utility. Compared to the Lord, Lauka Vai gains impact hits, a spell that halves charges (but on an 8+ to cast, oof) and a command ability that grants monsters +1 to hit against a target unit. Of note, she is herself a monster, so she benefits. Sadly both her and the Lord have this built-in nerf that you don't always get to use their command bility when you want.

The Vengorian Lord, by contrast, has a healing command ability that could situationally be very good, because it allows you to heal all units that destroyed an enemy unit anywhere on the board for 1d6. But you will have to jump through two hoops to use it: Destroying units and rolling to be able to use the Vangorian Lord's command ability that turn. He also gets a +1 to wound spell, which is nice.

I think the main draw of the vampire centaurs is their ignore rend -1 ability. Many of our units are already on 3+ saves, and giving them ignore rend 1 is quite good, especially if you push them to 2+ somehow (which seems like it will be easy in AoS 3). Both Lauka Vai and the Vengorian Lord do fairly bad damage, though, so be aware of that.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

in kastelai ill give it the brick but in aos3 i would not worry about is surviving, cover is a thing, mystic shield is probably going back to being +1 save and we regen like motherfu***rs in the hero phases. I think it could be pretty fine

"I'll give it the brick" - you'll give it the Fragment Artefact against melee wounds, or you won't use it? Not sure if that's a saying that means "I'll ignore it", haha. 

Just now, AHexInScarletRed said:

"I'll give it the brick" - you'll give it the Fragment Artefact against melee wounds, or you won't use it? Not sure if that's a saying that means "I'll ignore it", haha. 

yes, i meant the artifact, the brick from crimson keep in fact xD

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Deploy the flying V!

FB_IMG_1623091602696.jpg

that looks mighty cool but i think wolves are mostly fine, you can do something like this:
0             0

all of them being separated by 1" or less and cohesion is respected. It is not great but it is fine, tha problem will start arising when they get killed in melee but luckily we the flying V ❤️

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

23 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

that looks mighty cool but i think wolves are mostly fine, you can do something like this:
0             0

all of them being separated by 1" or less and cohesion is respected. It is not great but it is fine, tha problem will start arising when they get killed in melee but luckily we the flying V ❤️

Doesn’t work sadly. Soon as one model dies you have to remove models down to five.

• Like 1

Do bear in mind that we haven't seen all the core rules, nor any potential changes that the GHB may throw at us.

There may be further rules to allow for fighting in more than one rank, regardless of weapon range etc.

Seen a fair bit of panic etc across various forms of social media, so thought it worth repeating.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nagashfan said:

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Legion of Night
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead(975)
Necromancer (125)
- Artefact: Morbheg's Claw  
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Wight King (115)
- General
- Command Trait: Swift Form  

Battleline
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)
20 x Grave Guard (280)
- Great Wight Blades

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Umbral Spellportal (70)
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

hey fellas trying to pick a good Nagash list….. thoughts on this one?

I like it, Grave Guard battleline is super nice. 

Picked up my start collecting over the weekend and definitely looking at lists with the mounted white king as General, making GG battleline. Don't discount sword and board, with some of the rumours they could be sitting at a 2+ save turn 1 in Legion of Night, for example.