AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

1 hour ago, MachuChang said:

Hi folks!

I'm super new to Age of Sigmar and could use a bit of help. I started collecting Legions of Nagash last year, and thanks to an incredible ebay offer and some overly generous gifts, I now have more Soulblight than I know what to do with. I could use some help paring the following down into a 2000 point list:

• 1 Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin/Mortis Engine

• 1 Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night

• 1 Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead

• 1 Neferata, Mortarch of Blood

• 2 Necromancers

• 1 Prince Vhordrai/Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon/Zombie Dragon

• 2 Vampire Lords

• 2 Wight Kings

• 20 Black Knights (Yeah, I know)

• 5 Blood Knights

• 50 Deathrattle Skeletons

• 10 Dire Wolves

• 3 Fell Bats

• 40 Grave Guard

• 6 Vargheists

• 1 Terrorgheist

I have a grand total of, like, 3 games under my belt, so I know very little about proper strategy and list building. This is what I have so far, but I have absolutely no issue with throwing it all out and starting anew. I'm also fine with buying new models to complete a list; people seem pretty high on Belladamma and Radukar the Beast right now.

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords

- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Command Trait: Pack Alpha
- Artefact: Sangsyron
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions

Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)

- Lore of the Vampires Soulpike

Necromancer (125)

- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
10 Dire Wolves (135)

20 Skeletons (170)

20 Skeletons (170)

Other

20 Grave Guard (280)

- Wight Blades and Crypt Shields

Behemoths

Terrorgheist (305)

Total: 2000/2000

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds:125

My meta consists of the following, in case that helps:

• Cities of Sigmar

• Daughters of Khaine

• Kharadron Overlords

• Lumineth Realm-lords

• Seraphon

• Stormcast Eternals

• Beasts of Chaos

• Skaven

• Slaves to Darkness

• Flesh-Eater Courts

• Ossiarch Bonereapers

• Orruk Warclans

• Sons of Behemat

Again, any advice you have to offer is super appreciated. Thanks a million!

This has nothing to do with list efficiency, but Vyrkos with Mannfred and without any named Vyrkos characters feels weird..

54 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

This has nothing to do with list efficiency, but Vyrkos with Mannfred and without any named Vyrkos characters feels weird..

Thanks for your input. That's a very good point, and is mostly due to me not having any Vyrkos characters at the moment. I grabbed Mannfed mostly to have some more hitting power and some way to buff the troops. I agree it feels really weird, though. Do you think Radukar the Beast would work better?

4 hours ago, MachuChang said:

Hi folks!

I'm super new to Age of Sigmar and could use a bit of help. I started collecting Legions of Nagash last year, and thanks to an incredible ebay offer and some overly generous gifts, I now have more Soulblight than I know what to do with. I could use some help paring the following down into a 2000 point list:

• 1 Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin/Mortis Engine

• 1 Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night

• 1 Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead

• 1 Neferata, Mortarch of Blood

• 2 Necromancers

• 1 Prince Vhordrai/Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon/Zombie Dragon

• 2 Vampire Lords

• 2 Wight Kings

• 20 Black Knights (Yeah, I know)

• 5 Blood Knights

• 50 Deathrattle Skeletons

• 10 Dire Wolves

• 3 Fell Bats

• 40 Grave Guard

• 6 Vargheists

• 1 Terrorgheist

I have a grand total of, like, 3 games under my belt, so I know very little about proper strategy and list building. This is what I have so far, but I have absolutely no issue with throwing it all out and starting anew. I'm also fine with buying new models to complete a list; people seem pretty high on Belladamma and Radukar the Beast right now.

Leaders
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Artefact: Sangsyron

Mannfred Von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)

- Lore of the Vampires Soulpike

Necromancer (125)

Battleline
10 Dire Wolves (135)

20 Skeletons (170)

20 Skeletons (170)

Other

20 Grave Guard (280)

- Wight Blades and Crypt Shields

Behemoths

Terrorgheist (305)

Total: 2000/2000

Wounds:125

My meta consists of the following, in case that helps:

• Cities of Sigmar

• Daughters of Khaine

• Kharadron Overlords

• Lumineth Realm-lords

• Seraphon

• Stormcast Eternals

• Beasts of Chaos

• Skaven

• Slaves to Darkness

• Flesh-Eater Courts

• Ossiarch Bonereapers

• Orruk Warclans

• Sons of Behemat

Again, any advice you have to offer is super appreciated. Thanks a million!

Change the general, use a coven throne with the first trait, spam her CA on your grave guards units (yeah, I said units, drop that terrorgheist and put another 20 gg), but please do not use shields on them, you need the damage 2 weapons. With all this changes, your army can deny an enemy unit (thanks to the vyrkos'rr and coven's spell), and 2 block of gg hitting on 2+/2+ -1 2 (save 4+). 

13 minutes ago, Grimoriano said:

Change the general, use a coven throne with the first trait, spam her CA on your grave guards units (yeah, I said units, drop that terrorgheist and put another 20 gg), but please do not use shields on them, you need the damage 2 weapons. With all this changes, your army can deny an enemy unit (thanks to the vyrkos'rr and coven's spell), and 2 block of gg hitting on 2+/2+ -1 2 (save 4+). 

Awesome! Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely give that list a shot. If I also take @Maogrim's advice and cut Mannfred, I could have room for both Radukar the Beast and Belladamma Volga. In that case, my list would probably look like this:

Leaders
Coven Throne (310)
- General
- Artefact: Standard of the Ulfenwatch
- Lore of the Vampires: Soulpike

Radukar the Beast (315)

Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)

Necromancer (125)

Battleline
10 Dire Wolves (135)

20 Skeletons (170)

20 Skeletons (170)

Other

20 Grave Guard (280)

- Great Wight Blades

20 Grave Guard (280)

- Great Wight Blades

Total: 1985/2000

Wounds: 138

I'd need to buy Radukar and Belladamma, and probably a few more dire wolves for their abilities, but this list looks a lot more resilient and focused (and flavorful) than my first one. Thanks again!

• LOVE IT! 1

With Manny the Vampire Nanny arriving tomorrow I have the one piece it looked like I needed to leverage my existing FEC army into some new Soulblight Awesomeness.  Proxying Crypt Ghouls fir zombies and had actually based an old vamp lord to be right size as a Abhorrant Archregent proxy which I think makes him fit the new models size? 

- Lineage: Legion of Night

Leaders
Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night (380)
Prince Vhordrai (455)
Necromancer (125)
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
6 x Vargheists (310)
6 x Vargheists (310)
40 x Deadwalker Zombies (230)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 124

Don’t think this is the most competitive list but working with what I got any recommendations on CT, Artefact, Lore Spells, etc. to make the most of it?

I just build the wigth king on mount from the start collecting and i found the instructions are wrong. The chest is supposed to be glued after glue the horse,but the torso wont go in with the horse glued.

So it is needed glue the torso first of the horse or at the same time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

Don’t think this is the most competitive list but working with what I got any recommendations on CT, Artefact, Lore Spells, etc. to make the most of it?

On Vhordrai, I'd definitely go with Pinions. All the other Vampire lore spells are kinda not so good. Don't be afraild to double up on Pinions, either.

For Mannfred, you get to choose Lore of Deathmages spells, too, which are all excellent. Usually, Overwhelming Dread is the choice for Necromancers because it's the easiest to cast (although they will mostly be casting Vanhel's). Fading Vigour or Decrepify might be good choices for Mannfred.

For command traits, Unholy Impetus on the Vampire Lord might get you a free attack sometimes. Could be good, Vampire Lords can definitely kill stuff in melee.

Morbeghs Claw is the stand-out artefact in Legion of Night, but I think your list might be too mobility-focussed to really make use of the 2+ to cast bubble. Gem of Exsanguination is decent, as is Chriopteran Cloak on a Vampire Lord (who can easily have a 2+ save in cover).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Morbeghs Claw is the stand-out artefact in Legion of Night, but I think your list might be too mobility-focussed to really make use of the 2+ to cast bubble

If I switch the extra CP for the Balewind Vortex would Claw on Necromancer make sense?  Gives better chance of getting up on Vortex and once there not moving anyway…

Not positive how this army would play but first impression is that I’d be leaving the Zombies, Necromancer and VL covering objectives in my deployment zone whilst the Manny & Prince V Tag Team wrecking ball and Vargheists seize objectives.

1 hour ago, Beer & Pretzels Gamer said:

If I switch the extra CP for the Balewind Vortex would Claw on Necromancer make sense?  Gives better chance of getting up on Vortex and once there not moving anyway…

Not positive how this army would play but first impression is that I’d be leaving the Zombies, Necromancer and VL covering objectives in my deployment zone whilst the Manny & Prince V Tag Team wrecking ball and Vargheists seize objectives.

You will have to test it out. Hard to judge whether getting a Necromancer to 2 casts at +2 is worth it. It will definitely help Vanhel's get out more easily, though, that's for sure.

One thing that I'd like to explore is 5 vs 10 squads of Blood Knights, particularly in Kastelai. With 10 you're going to probably not get them all in combat very often but should hold effectiveness for longer despite casualties which could be a big deal with the Kastelai bonuses. Surviving a combat with 5-6 knights left and +1 damage is much better than 1-2 knights limping out with the bonus.

EDIT: also 3 vs 6 squads of Vargheists. Any DoK player knows how valuable even limp noodle Khinerai were as a backline threat, forcing the opponent to camp their objectives. In some ways Vargheists do this even better as 3 Vargheists can easily wreck most chaff units and take a bit of effort to remove. A 6 squad is a real threat though, but it comes at a higher cost if you hold them back waiting for an opening. Tough call.

Edited by swarmofseals
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

A 6 squad is a real threat though, but it comes at a higher cost if you hold them back waiting for an opening. Tough call.

4sure...

I  guess it boils down to the job description. If they are to be a big threat, to wipe stuff from the table, surely 6... even if they are to engage, wait for back up and the the left over disengages.

If you are planning a 3-4.round objective steal or backfield harassment, six would be to much points hanging in the sky, not working for their points, while your opponent get things done 

Apologies if this has been discussed before but a quick read of the interwebs suggests that Mounted Vampire Lords have disappeared. Is this the case? 

Kinda stuffs my WIP army (from ages past) of all Blood Knights and Vampires...

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, hwd48 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before but a quick read of the interwebs suggests that Mounted Vampire Lords have disappeared. Is this the case? 

Kinda stuffs my WIP army (from ages past) of all Blood Knights and Vampires...

They‘re gone.

you could proxy them as Wight King in Skeletal Steed

28 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Question from a new Soulblight player!

What are your thoughts on rules of Kritza and Lady Annika?

Kritza is attractive for his price point and his resurrection rules. His stocks will probably go up next edition when heroes get to do more stuff by default and the value of additional generals increases.

Annika is less interesting mechanically, because you are very close to getting a Necromancer or Vampire Lord for her points. She is kind of impossible to grind down, but can be nova'd off the table pretty easily.

I think both are playable as pet choices, but not really good.

So with predatory spells being able to be controlled in every turn, and kept control of, lifeswarm could add a lot of resiliency to our hordes on top of the allegiance respawns.

Will have to wait for the rewrite in ghb, but currently it would be an extra D3 models in your and your opponents turn.

Edited by Verminlord

2 hours ago, Sorrow said:

What are your thoughts on rules of Kritza and Lady Annika?

All of the above, but they do count as generals...

and an early killed Kritza could crawl out of the sewers turn 3 and be a pain somewhere undefended especially with a 18“ general bubble

14 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

wait does this mean that the opponent does not benefit from cogs anymore?

I'm sure it will be clarified in 3.0. As is, kinda seems like they may change it to that. 

Also, Belladama's stock continues to go up. Bound Geminds? Yes please.

Edited by BaylorCorvette

Well this is definitely the nail in the coffin for taking more than 5 man Blood Knight units. Unit coherency is seeing a fairly significant change for units with more than 5 models, needing to be within 1" of at least two other models from their unit.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/07/stormcast-eternals-in-the-new-edition-elite-versatile-champions-of-order/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoSFFStormcast7June21&utm_content=AoSFFStormcast7June21&fbclid=IwAR16ydj4ZVWjT86heOnJFOr9STbmXcrafL14vK965Xk4ZTEd1Sn2GkDiuPg

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Well this is definitely the nail in the coffin for taking more than 5 man Blood Knight units. Unit coherency is seeing a fairly significant change for units with more than 5 models, needing to be within 1" of at least two other models from their unit.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/07/stormcast-eternals-in-the-new-edition-elite-versatile-champions-of-order/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=AoSFFStormcast7June21&utm_content=AoSFFStormcast7June21&fbclid=IwAR16ydj4ZVWjT86heOnJFOr9STbmXcrafL14vK965Xk4ZTEd1Sn2GkDiuPg

i was about to say the same thing. Oh well, not too much of a problem, with more CPs we can still support them quite nicely