AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

40 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

2) Your first spell could be a spell lore from your book OR one of the core spells, such as flaming weapons.

Since you pick spell for each wizard, from lores that are available to such wizard AND universal enhancments can be used by any army this appears to be correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Yes for sure. The down side is if you take flaming weapons you cannot be a 1 drop list. Unless you're able to forgo your own spell lore to take one of the core spells, flaming weapon in this case. I've seen people argue that it can go one of three ways.

1) You get a spell lore from your book, and then need to take one of the new core battalions that allows an additional enhancement for you to be able to take flaming weapons.

2) Your first spell could be a spell lore from your book OR one of the core spells, such as flaming weapons.

3) You get a spell from your book plus one core spell automatically (this is the least likely ruling IMO).

Is being 1 drop so important now? The first turn is just a roll off.

2 hours ago, Ghoooouls said:

Where is this? ghb leak? I just want to see all the rules dammit 

When youtubers were flipping through the core rules, when they got to the Matched play section, it has an addendum rule stating whomever finishes setting up first gets the choice.

Edited by PlayerJ
Spelling :)

So I'm liking the potential of putting the Master of Magic command trait on a wizard and giving them the Arcane Tome artifact. Boosting a level 1 wizard to a level 2 with rerolls is amazing. Good potential boosting with the many generic casters we have in this army.

Edited by DJMoose

14 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

core rules are freely downloadable already, it is explained in the matched play section

Knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't find it again!

Edit: not sure if I'm being really stoopid. Could you tell me what page/section? I can't even find a matched play section lol.

Edit 2: saw the post above about YouTube videos thanks. Assuming this will be in the GHB too, as it's not in the free core rules and I cba to watch a 40 min video to find it...

Edited by Ghoooouls

Avengorii VLoZD with Deathlance, Eye for an Eye, and casting Flaming Weapon can get his lance up to 6 damage on a charge.  Requires a spell and getting injured, but it is fun to think about getting 18 wounds on just your lance on a charge.  Back that up with all the Flaming Weapon buffed attacks from the Zombie Dragon, and you've got a good time, lol.

Cogs are now 45 pts for the +1" to Charges. Might be worth it with the reduced point costs. Prismatic Palisade is now 40 pts and still blocks shooting, so that's nice, too. Ideas on how to colorize Prismatic Palisade to fit us? I have Cogs modified to be made of wood with the blueish things made bloody instead, but no idea on the Palisade. 

e: Hmm, what about coloring as stones that come out from the ground and putting some corpses onto it as if they were pushed out from their graves when the stones rose? 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Cogs are now 45 pts for the +1" to Charges. Might be worth it with the reduced point costs. Prismatic Palisade is now 40 pts and still blocks shooting, so that's nice, too. Ideas on how to colorize Prismatic Palisade to fit us? I have Cogs modified to be made of wood with the blueish things made bloody instead, but no idea on the Palisade. 

e: Hmm, what about coloring as stones that come out from the ground and putting some corpses onto it as if they were pushed out from their graves when the stones rose? 

i made a row of impaled corpses using the old zombies. 
Anyway i think that the most stand out as good ES are the palisade as a usefull tool against shooting and the shards for being very annoying. Also the horrorghast could be very nice in LoB since it negates battleshock CAs and causes D3 more people to run away. Shackles are also very nice but a tad costly i feel

Also on a side note we can now take radukar the wolf as a single choice, huzzah

PS. AAAAUGH, my list is 5 points short of including a prismatic palisade, noooooooooo

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Nightseer2012 said:

Avengorii VLoZD with Deathlance, Eye for an Eye, and casting Flaming Weapon can get his lance up to 6 damage on a charge.  Requires a spell and getting injured, but it is fun to think about getting 18 wounds on just your lance on a charge.  Back that up with all the Flaming Weapon buffed attacks from the Zombie Dragon, and you've got a good time, lol.

You could give them the Arcane Tome for an extra spell and use Lauchon to move in the Hero phase for a MW. 

Edit: Oh, it needs to be in the Combat phase,my bad! 

Edited by Izotzuhure

2 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i made a row of impaled corpses using the old zombies. 
Anyway i think that the most stand out as good ES are the palisade as a usefull tool against shooting and the shards for being very annoying. Also the horrorghast could be very nice in LoB since it negates battleshock CAs and causes D3 more people to run away

Also on a side note we can now take radukar the wolf as a single choice, huzzah

PS. AAAAUGH, my list is 5 points short of including a prismatic palisade, noooooooooo

Yeah, Palisade is hard to fit in, but kinda necessary, I think. 

When running double dragon, it looks like this:

Prince V

VLoZD 

Necromancer 

30 Skeletons 

3x5 Blood Knights 

1x3 Fell Bats 

Palisade 

For 1970 pts; which is low on models. 60 Zombies instead of the Skeletons and Bats is an option, but that's low on units, then. 

With a Vengorian Lord, I'd probably do:

Prince V

Vengorian Lord 

Necromancer 

40 Zombies 

1x10 Wolves 

3x5 Blood Knights

2x3 Fell Bats 

Palisade 

That's 2k flat. Could do 60 Zombies instead of the Wolves. 

- I have neither Skeletons nor Zombies (but 40 Chainrasps and 20 Grimghasts 🙄), so I'll have to decide what I'll get. Also one VLoZD, so either a second or a Vengorian Lord. 10 heavily modified Dragon Princes wait for their 5 new friends; at least there I know what to do, haha. 

e: Have you thought about what an absurdly good fit the Vengorian Lord is as a former Blood Knight who escalated on the riding-into-combat thing and became his own horse? That's glorious. 

Edited by AHexInScarletRed

9 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Slight curveball - what's people's thoughts of including a mega-gargant in a soulblight army?

I don't think there's much to entice to people in to do it.

We have Vhordrai, Manfred, Neferata, VLOZD and at a push Nagash. All monsters all benefit from Soulblight Gravelords keyword, I suppose it's more if you already have a Mega-gargant model, then you probably would want to fit it in somewhere.

Given the options we have, I wouldn't be going out of my way to purchase one to put in a soulblight force.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Cogs are now 45 pts for the +1" to Charges. Might be worth it with the reduced point costs.

It looks fairly enticing. I am considering dropping a block of 40 zombies down to 20 and taking Cogs and a unit of Bats instead.

Getting in a safe charge for Grave Guard seems pretty big, and even a +1 helps a lot. I also find myself bringing way more good spells than I can ever realistically cast in one round, so the other mode of Cogs also seems nice. I think you are unlikely to get more than one extra cast from the Cogs unless you bunch up your wizards, though.

1 hour ago, AHexInScarletRed said:

Yeah, Palisade is hard to fit in, but kinda necessary, I think. 

I guess it depends on you list. Considering my own, I find it lower priority, because I will already be bringing Belladamma for Lycancurse and that 6" wolf pile in, Zombies with their native 6" pile in, Fell Bats to charge ranged units and Ghost Mist to make terrain give cover. I think adding in the Palisade as well at that point seems kind of excessive. But it's another good tool.

Although I wonder how reliable endless spells are this edition. There just seem to be so many ways to remove them between heroic actions, wizards and priests. For stuff you only want for a round it seems ok, but for the Palisade you are kind of relying on it to stick around until your opponent's shooting phase.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

Slight curveball - what's people's thoughts of including a mega-gargant in a soulblight army?

I think we generally have better big monster natively. Paying the command point tax on mercenaries does not seem attractive for what the Gargant brings to the table.

• Thanks 2

Anyone thought about a legion of blood bravery bomb list with the new horrorghast spell?

Sounds fun with legion of blood general with special trait (Soul-crushing Contempt ) -1 + -2 by two units of skellies debuffing bravery and not being able to instapass battleshocks

Or just play geminis and block comands including inspiring presense.

Also you also add w3 to fleeing models

Edited by Aturox

1 hour ago, Aturox said:

Anyone thought about a legion of blood bravery bomb list with the new horrorghast spell?

Sounds fun with legion of blood general with special trait (Soul-crushing Contempt ) -1 + -2 by two units of skellies debuffing bravery and not being able to instapass battleshocks

Or just play geminis and block comands including inspiring presense.

Also you also add w3 to fleeing models

yeah, as i said it does sound like a pretty cool combo

5 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

yeah, as i said it does sound like a pretty cool combo

sorry didnt see that you already mentioned it :( had a really busy week and wasnt paying attention well enough it seems...

But Gravelords is so much fun since we have so many different viable ways to build a list😍

• LOVE IT! 1

I agree Aturox.  I haven’t found an end to any of the list building I’ve theoried out and there’s probably no way I’ll play enough games to get around to using them all.  I bought in mega with the Vyrkos, but am starting to feel like the shambling horde/wolf thing isn’t my play style.  Once I started building lists that were a bit more extreme and using units nobody uses but that had several synergies that helped culminate a strategy I’m going to really play the heck out of Neferata and bring as much of Knight/Lady Vampire vibe as I can.  Bring along all the floaty behemoths with a whole suite of powers meant to kill heroes and isolate mega-units down.  Just having an Orb of Enchantment equipped on a model has been enough to force opponents to make bad decisions with their big god or death star units.

• Like 1

I've been traveling the last day and a half. But finally got around to seeing all of the points updates. I really do think Gravelords is in a super solid spot now. Heck, I played Gravelords in a one day tournament a week ago using 2.0 rules and I finished second. BIG STONKS on Gravelords boys and girls!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Andalf said:

I agree Aturox.  I haven’t found an end to any of the list building I’ve theoried out and there’s probably no way I’ll play enough games to get around to using them all.  I bought in mega with the Vyrkos, but am starting to feel like the shambling horde/wolf thing isn’t my play style.  Once I started building lists that were a bit more extreme and using units nobody uses but that had several synergies that helped culminate a strategy I’m going to really play the heck out of Neferata and bring as much of Knight/Lady Vampire vibe as I can.  Bring along all the floaty behemoths with a whole suite of powers meant to kill heroes and isolate mega-units down.  Just having an Orb of Enchantment equipped on a model has been enough to force opponents to make bad decisions with their big god or death star units.

I really dig the wolfstyle though :D Especially belladamma with spellportal shuts down shooting lists pretty well :) You could also play bridge endlesspell for a buffed up unit of Grave guard. The reroll for casting from vyrkros is pure gold in the new edition!

I would go all in on Deathrattle when playing legion of blood instead of aristocrats.. Only taking Nef for buffing up my centerpiece and getting an additional comand point and debuffing. Highlander Skeletons style :)

The only the Bloodline i am not that particulary interested in is Avengori since i already own a 2k FEC force and i prefer some change of playstyle

21 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I've been traveling the last day and a half. But finally got around to seeing all of the points updates. I really do think Gravelords is in a super solid spot now. Heck, I played Gravelords in a one day tournament a week ago using 2.0 rules and I finished second. BIG STONKS on Gravelords boys and girls!

Oooh, what list did you use? :D