Dynasty of Monsters by David Annandale

I read Dynasty of Monsters" today and overall I think it was a good, fun read. In a way it is "The Beauty and the Beast" of the Mortal Realms...

...except where the Beast is a Vengorian Lord and Belle rips off  Gaston’s head in the end.

If you want to root for the Vampires then this is a novel for you. I especially like how it divulges into the philosophy of the Avengorii Dynasty and makes them appealing in more than one way. For they see the illusion of grandeur and 'civilization' that the antagonist Free City offers, they see through and shatter it through their embrace of their own monstrosity. And it is easy to sympathize with them in the face of the backstabbing politics, the undercurrent of hatred, and the disdain the "Above" class have for the poor, destitute "Beneath" class in the city. Giving us a very good view of why some would shun the Free Cities and join as a Soulblight Vampire.

While not exactly a major POV, Lauka Vai, the Mother of Nightmares is VERY prominent in the book (she is on the cover after all) and she is portrayed very well through a lens of both monstrous and noble power and authority. Her scenes are always great for the dark majesty she projects and how the other characters see her, be it devotion or utter fear of her presence.

While certainly the ending is not a surprise, for it is practically written on the wall by the machinations of the story's antagonists, it has a certain sense of satisfaction that I found favorably well done. Especially with how they come with the grim acceptance that how things turn out were all their own fault. \

I liked Kavak and Atella as protagonists, one seeking to save his former city but mired in his memories and ties to it. The other stuck in it and journeying to realize just how wrong her city is. For a while I was wondering if Jaras was influenced, perhaps by a Tzeentchian demon or magus, but no - his own human greed is what drove him. His beginnings at the start of the novel being well echoed at his fate at the end of the novel.

I'd say my only complaint is there was not a lot of Zombie Dragon or Terrorgheist action. Yes, they are seen in a few scenes and described as part of the Avengorii army of nightmares but we don't get any cool scenes of them tearing people apart. Most of that heavy lifting is done by Lauka, the Vengorian Lords, and Vargheists.

Overall, I liked it as a fun read and will definitely re-read it in the future. 

Edited by Cataphract
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 5:52 AM, Cataphract said:

I especially like how it divulges into the philosophy of the Avengorii Dynasty and makes them appealing in more than one way. For they see the illusion of grandeur and 'civilization' that the antagonist Free City offers,

This!

The book is what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for the summary to confirm that. :D

And yeah, the lexicanum guy who handles detailing the Free Cities even remarked:

(Spoiler ahead)

"I think the Colonnade is the only city I've ever enjoyed labeling as "Destroyed" on the Cities of Sigmar city table"

xD

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

This!

The book is what I was hoping for! Thanks so much for the summary to confirm that. :D

And yeah, the lexicanum guy who handles detailing the Free Cities even remarked:

(Spoiler ahead)

"I think the Colonnade is the only city I've ever enjoyed labeling as "Destroyed" on the Cities of Sigmar city table"

xD

Haha. For real. Mood Kindred. 

Really most of them were such jerks. It’s like Order taken to one of its extremes. In a very classist/xenophobic way. Like you just feel sympathy for Atella, theLong Chainers, and the dynasty of monster vampires.

Fun Fact: The cover art was pretty much all David Annandale had to go off of about the Avengorii when he started it and that’s why it’s so Vargheists biased.

Edited by Cataphract