The Cursed City situation.   

247 members have voted

1. 1. Did you try to buy Cursed City?

• I bought it
    • I tried but it was sold out.
    • I didn't try to buy it, but I think it's unfair that others couldn't
    • I have no interest in Cursed City.

13 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I'm sure Annika & Kritza were supposed to be expansion villians as well with their own stories and the father daughter hunter team were suppose to be heros.

None of these models nor Radukar the Beast being pushfit strongly counts against this theory in my opinion.

Plus, the Ven Densts are pretty integral to BR: Kragnos, so if they were originally planned to be Cursed City heroes, that would have necessitated a pretty big rewrite of that book. I don't really see why GW would go through that trouble.

• Like 2

To be honest, I'm now thinking the other way around : that Cursed City was always intended to be simply an introduction to the Soulblight Gravelords battletome, and that extensions were intended to be in the White Dwarf for what happens next after Raduka's defeat - using the AoS miniatures for Cursed City, and not the other way around.

Annika and the Rat Prince's both backgrounds do make references of their own attempts to take control of Ulfenkarn after Radukar's apparent demise.

What makes me say that is that the miniatures and bases are clearly not thought for working with Cursed City's own game system (movement works by squares, and they're not designed to hold an ovale base). Same for Radukar the Beast - he's way too big to fit in just one square, and having him to fit in more than one will have some serious difficulties to make him move through certain tiles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that all makes sense. The only shame is that GW really should have come out and explained it like that, publicly, I think fans would really understand - 4 times BSF [which is still available ] and selling out in an hour is amazing . Hopefully they can communicate this and what they hope to do or can/can't do with the game including expansions [which should be viable given they sold so many copies].

It should encourage them that a fantasy boxed game is well worth doing again in the future. 

• LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Cordova said:

I can't comment on the veracity of the content, but this makes interesting reading: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/798855.page

Interesting, but I don't buy it. If this was something that a random staff member knew enough about to tell this story to a customer in great detail, they'd be able to communicate this to people openly. If this was some higher ranking member of the team telling a random customer, they'd also be allowed to communicate this to the whole community.

What was more likely to have taken place was a conversation where a staff member was hassled by a customer and then said 'This is probably what happened'. And even then this story doesn't explain why GW would try to scrub the game/mentions from online when if this is what is being told to random customers, then they could have again put a WarComs article up- Sorry it was popular, we can't get more in a reasonable time frame due to covid/china printing. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 3:21 AM, Cordova said:

I can't comment on the veracity of the content, but this makes interesting reading: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/798855.page

I believe it.

If you watch any of the YouTube, you’d have known that channels that got upwards of half a million views were opening up about playing Warhammerat the start of Covid. 40K’s Facebook page had somewhere around 200k likes as well, and we’ve had availability issues since Early 2019 (Carrion Empire).

There aren’t any scalpers who can put a dent as large as people think they can. At least not any big enough to stop so many from getting any. 100 boxes of Indomitus is $20,000 and shouldn’t put a dent in supplies (maybe 1,000 copies, but again, that’s a small house payment, and THEN you have to move all those copies). They’re going for $250 now on eBay, but you’d be losing some amount to shipping and eBay fees.

And then there’s the obvious website crashes. There was a Metric Sh**ton (It’s a real unit of measure in the Imperial System. Look it up) of people.

• Like 1

You only have to look at the sales numbers. GW's sales increased by 30% this year. If you are projecting production based on sales which were stablish for the last 2 years then you are going to be 30% short. On top of that Cursed City had a massive amount of hype behind it leading up to launch with almost universal praise for the minis. Then you have the fact that a soloable quest game is ideal for these isolated times and you have a recipe for surprising success. 

• Like 2

The Cursed City heroes do not have a points cost in GHB 2021. 

The bad guys do have points because they are sold seperately.

This does not give high hopes for a return or seperate sale of the heroes, and makes me doubt whether Ulfenkarn ever becomes a City with subfaction rules at all (meaning the heroes are just plain useless any way you slice it).