The Cursed City situation.   

247 members have voted

1. 1. Did you try to buy Cursed City?

• I bought it
    • I tried but it was sold out.
    • I didn't try to buy it, but I think it's unfair that others couldn't
    • I have no interest in Cursed City.

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

That is all really interesting. Maybe in a few decades (probably more) there will be some specialized Historian who can dig in the archives about that. But that is a very convincing writeup @Sleboda and I tend to believe it as well.

Do you guys have any Literature recommendation(s) about similar cases? 

I seriously doubt the lawsuit angle here, or at least as a reason for the silence.

First, in most common law jurisdictions (UK, US, etc.), law is considered a matter of public concern and completely confidential court filings with no record of proceedings is extremely unusual. If GW lost a fight in China, maybe, but that seems highly implausible. Thus for this to vanish with literally zero paper trail would be wild if there was actually a lawsuit.

Could there be a demand letter of some sort and a private agreement? Yes. But on what basis? Did GW rip the entire product from someone? Even then, you'd expect they would be allowed to make an announcement as to future content and/or that the other party would want to do so in order to profit from their work. For it to go totally silent out the back would indicate a deliberate destruction of value by the person/entity who won the fight with GW in this context. Incentives don't add up if you are following the money. The one exception to this would be if there was a GW staffer materially responsible for this content, who retained some degree of rights, and was terminated unjustly by the company and the legal fight there involved a large payout and cessation of all work around that person; things like that are usually prohibited workplace conduct (sexual harassment etc.).

The complete lack of any announcement and behavior that GW (even in their infinite denseness) knew would ****** off their customer base should lead one to Occam's Razor: whatever happened is more embarrassing than just cancelling it and walking away silently. If it were a private agreement about rights, I would expect a disclosure to that extent from one or both parties (what's the motivation to keep that totally secret?). Completely silence on that is unusual for a retail facing product unless it was a safety or conduct issue.

To me, that means either they seriously ****** something up, something of the sort I reference above that would be supremely embarrassing to reveal happened ("our staff were insane racists and drove out a key employee for the project and then we had to pay a huge settlement" is not something you would want to disclose generically, though to be clear I am using this as an example and NOT accusing GW or any other company of this conduct), or they relied on a supplier/producer who went bankrupt/insolvent and it was probably a demonstrably dumb idea to use them (the company of the spouse of a board member with a shaky track record or something).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I can.

Lawsuit.

It's abundantly clear they had invested in a long term lifespan of the game. The initial setup work (the videos, for example, and more) was massive, the pre-marketing was expansive, and the hints at expansions in the materials is hard to ignore. This was a game with a LOT invested in it. There was a future.

And then *poof* it was gone. 

In other words, they had put a bunch of time and money into establishing a long run. But then it died with absolutely, positively zero, ziltch, nada in terms of communication.

Only one thing explains it. They were compelled to kill it by a law suit. I'm guessing there was something in the game to which someone else could claim ownership. They sued and won and part of the terms included not publishing any other products. I mean, for goodness sake, they didn't even mention the game when they released the models from it. No "fans of Cursed City who missed out on these models won't need to wait much longer to get their hands on them."

The complete lack of reference to Cursed City in ALL materials since the vanishing is a huuuuuuge tell that GW is being compelled to act a certain way, and the lack of any sort of explanation is also 100% in line with a court order to shush.

Do I know this is the case? No. It does, however, fit completely with what has happened and continues to happen.

A simpler way to look at this is the age old adage: "Follow the money." The game and its future plans were going to make plenty of money for GW. I can see where timing might (might!) have stepped on the Gravelords a tiny, tiny bit, but nowhere near how much the game would have made them, and if there's one thing I trust about GW, it's that they will always go for maximum money.

Then why is the Cursed City website still up, and the novel still available (digital at least)?

This lawsuit theory is nonsense and just another conspiracy theory. Covid + aos3 is the only thing that really makes sense - they couldn’t get as much as they wanted in the first print run, the game was already delayed from an original October/November release, and with aos3 they have ‘more important’ things to worry about. Getting additional print runs of Cursed City is entirely dependent upon a third party and their schedule. They haven’t said anything about it because they don’t know when or even if they can reprint it.

what doesn’t make sense regardless however, is that they’ve gone back through all the social media and Warhammer community posts and removed any references to it being a permanent range item and expansions. The website even removed the hints about the expansions and removed the map that showed different areas.

**potential spoiler**
I believe a bunch of the Gravelords releases were supposed to be expansions, the Ratprince and the other vampire, the BR Kragnos Witch Hunters. Additionally, the mysterious envelope, I haven’t opened it but it feels quite thick and my guess is *spoiler* rules for Radukar The Beast

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

Then why is the Cursed City website still up, and the novel still available (digital at least)?

My guess? It has something to do with the rules or mechanics of the actual game.

For instance, maybe someone can prove that they invented the day/night thing (not saying that's the actual case, just a for instance) and GW copied it illegally. This means you can't keep selling the game, and planned expansions would be rendered unusable, while the fiction and models are fine.

I don't know. None of us do. I'm just putting up a theory that fits really, really well.

I do know this, though. You don't, again, cancel an entire product range without even saying "maybe more later" when you've written all the rules, paid for hundreds if not thousands of design hours, likely printed and packed at least some of the expansions, filmed several support videos, and so on just to drop it all and make no money unless you are forced to do that.

Look at it this way. Warhammer Quest, while sharing lore and providing (entirely optional) crossovers with the Big Games, is an entirely independent game. People can play Quest and AoS, either or both, and never have one impact the other. They are not hurting each other. AoS 3 will not be harmed at all by the presence of Quest. Rather, it might even help. And I'll say it again - the majority of the investment in Quest was almost certainly already spent. Molds were made (and I agree with you that lots of the new vamp stuff would have been in expansions), cardboard printed, etc. Sunk costs. You don't cancel all that ... and say nothing at all ... because you have to juggle a schedule. You just don't.

I'll also add this. It might not have even made it to court. The agrieved may have told them they planned to sue. GW may have had lawyers look at it and the lawyers told GW that the other person had a solid case. Again, I don't know, but it does happen. The lawyers tell you you are going to take a bath in terms of cash and, perhaps more importantly, in reputation (which can drag down goodwill and impact investor confidence), so you choose the less painful option. You cancel the thing that has you getting in trouble. You settle with the agrieved financially and agree to their terms to not use their stuff. Heck, the person may have offered to accept royalties, even for less than the amount of the settlement, but you can't do that. You can't have it get out that you, a business who (entirely legitimately) sues others for copyright problems, is getting sued for copyright problems. You tell the person "Look, we're not letting this get out, and we're not paying royalties. Here's a bunch of cash. We'll stop selling products that use your property, and we all agree to say nothing at all. We good? Good. Now go away."

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sleboda

47 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

This lawsuit theory is nonsense and just another conspiracy theory. Covid + aos3 is the only thing that really makes sense - they couldn’t get as much as they wanted in the first print run, the game was already delayed from an original October/November release, and with aos3 they have ‘more important’ things to worry about. Getting additional print runs of Cursed City is entirely dependent upon a third party and their schedule. They haven’t said anything about it because they don’t know when or even if they can reprint it.

what doesn’t make sense regardless however, is that they’ve gone back through all the social media and Warhammer community posts and removed any references to it being a permanent range item and expansions. The website even removed the hints about the expansions and removed the map that showed different areas.

**potential spoiler**
I believe a bunch of the Gravelords releases were supposed to be expansions, the Ratprince and the other vampire, the BR Kragnos Witch Hunters. Additionally, the mysterious envelope, I haven’t opened it but it feels quite thick and my guess is *spoiler* rules for Radukar The Beast

I do support going back through previous posts to remove bits about it being a permanent item when that changed.

It prevents someone seeing that post, thinking it will be supported when this is no longer true.

Now about not telling why the thing that sold really well somehow isn't worth bringing back, that's an entire different story.

Guys, its fun to speculate but none of the Vyrkos Soulblight models are cancelled cursed city expansions.  I can't say about the Vampire Hunter pair because I haven't seen the sprues yet, but none of the new ones (Radukar the Beast, Belladamma, Krytza and Annika).  They are all normal to build models and were always intended as part of the Soulblight Gravelords release.  

The reason I know is that all the expansions for Blackstone Fortress (and I do mean all) are push-fit models just like the ones in the main box.  The Zoat, traitor guard, traitor commisar and ogryn, even the ETB death guard they did as a cash in one.  All of the expansions were push-fit.  If any of the models in the Soulblight range were originally intended as expansions to Cursed City they would have been push-fit as well.  

Not saying that there are not canceled expansions but these models aren't it.

• Like 3

@Sleboda my reference to AoS3 was more about the fact getting that out on time is more important than reprinting Cursed City, so with covid still causing problems they have to prioritise some things over others.

I still don’t buy the lawsuit thing. For one, my understanding is you can’t copyright rules/concepts. Also the day/night thing is most likely inspired by Fury Of Dracula, a game GW originally owned (I think they license it out nowadays).

‘there is literally nothing stopping someone releasing a game using 40K rules as long as they don’t use the terms that are copyright/trademark protected (ie names/factions). In saying that though, gw is big enough that the threat of a lawsuit would make people think twice about copying their rules, even if the law was on their side, gw legal department could potentially kill that company with lawyers fees

Edited by Joseph Mackay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

This means you can't keep selling the game

This falls apart here though, as my 'local' stores only reopened after lockdown a couple of days ago and were selling copies on the shelf. These are official warhammer stores across the whole country too. If they couldn't keep selling them, they would have been pulled from shelves before opening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I can.

Lawsuit.

It's abundantly clear they had invested in a long term lifespan of the game. The initial setup work (the videos, for example, and more) was massive, the pre-marketing was expansive, and the hints at expansions in the materials is hard to ignore. This was a game with a LOT invested in it. There was a future.

And then *poof* it was gone. 

In other words, they had put a bunch of time and money into establishing a long run. But then it died with absolutely, positively zero, ziltch, nada in terms of communication.

Only one thing explains it. They were compelled to kill it by a law suit. I'm guessing there was something in the game to which someone else could claim ownership. They sued and won and part of the terms included not publishing any other products. I mean, for goodness sake, they didn't even mention the game when they released the models from it. No "fans of Cursed City who missed out on these models won't need to wait much longer to get their hands on them."

The complete lack of reference to Cursed City in ALL materials since the vanishing is a huuuuuuge tell that GW is being compelled to act a certain way, and the lack of any sort of explanation is also 100% in line with a court order to shush.

Do I know this is the case? No. It does, however, fit completely with what has happened and continues to happen.

A simpler way to look at this is the age old adage: "Follow the money." The game and its future plans were going to make plenty of money for GW. I can see where timing might (might!) have stepped on the Gravelords a tiny, tiny bit, but nowhere near how much the game would have made them, and if there's one thing I trust about GW, it's that they will always go for maximum money.

Oh I'd definitely agree about GW and money! 😁

I imagine we'll never find out the truth about Cursed City, but if it was a suit against GW it's strange that the website for cursed city is still up. Hadn't seen any reports about claims either, like was the case with Chapterhouse, or that the claim couldn't be settled out of court. I'd imagine a publicly traded company going to court would be reported more openly. It could be something as mundane as production backlog, the Thousand Sons and Grey Knights been the latest releases pushed back several months according to the community page, although admittedly unlikely.

You may be correct, the lack of any communication is baffling if not a gag order, but either way it's a disappointing end to Cursed City for me, missing out on the boxed set and expansions, I thought it was GWs best new product in years.

30 minutes ago, Joseph Mackay said:

@Sleboda my reference to AoS3 was more about the fact getting that out on time is more important than reprinting Cursed City, so with covid still causing problems they have to prioritise some things over others.

I still don’t buy the lawsuit thing. For one, my understanding is you can’t copyright rules/concepts. Also the day/night thing is most likely inspired by Fury Of Dracula, a game GW originally owned (I think they license it out nowadays).

‘there is literally nothing stopping someone releasing a game using 40K rules as long as they don’t use the terms that are copyright/trademark protected (ie names/factions). 

I agree that the timing issue with AoS is probably indeed an issue, but only in that it might push a reprint of City out a bit. That still doesn't justify cancelling it with so many sunk costs already, well, sunk. Nor does that justify the rewriting of social media and map history. Something smells fishy there.

As to copyrighting game mechanics, yeah, you can. At least in some ways. I've known several copyright lawyers in my day, but I'm not actually one myself, so I can't promise I'm using the right terms, only trying to get ideas across - ideas I've discussed with those lawyers over dinner and wine numerous times. 

Also, I did say the day/night thing was just a for instance, not the thing I am putting up as the actual problem. Could have been any number of things.

And yes, you can copyright game mechanics and licence them. The D20 system and card tapping are examples I believe (never really paid much attention there). That's not really the point, though. I'm suggesting that there was ... something ... in the game that may have put them in legal jeopardy. What it is we'll likely never know. I just keep coming back to how much they had clearly thrown at this, and how insane it is to lose all ... that ... money ... entirely rather than issue a statement that actually could have given them some good pub.

For example, if a delay is the issue, say something like this:

"The initial launch of our newest Warhammer Quest game, Cursed City, has been a rousing success. Thousands of hobbyists around the world are, at this very moment, painting models and fighting to save Ulfenkarn from the clutches of the Beast.

As you know, we have big plans in store for your future journeys into the Cursed City, but we also have a major update to a cretain popular Warhammer game just around the corner. In order to make sure that anyone who wants a copy (or two!) of Dominion can get one, we will be delaying further Cursed City releases for a time. This will allow us to ensure we produce enough of the exciting new Dominion set to meet demand. We heard you after Indomitus, and rest assured, we are taking steps to make sure our enthusiastic fans don't need to experience the delays that happened with that set.

So, while we are all disappointed by having to wait, it just means you'll have time to hone your undead fighting skills (and paint your models with our new STC brushes) <click to buy some today> as you prepare for the inevitable return of Radukar and his minions."

@RexHavoc 

Copies on shelves getting sold could easily be part of the out-of-court agreement.

Edited by Sleboda

@Sleboda

I am pretty sure you can't copyright game mechanics.  In the case of Magic: the Gathering, WotC patented Tapping Cards.  Which I believe the patent ran out a few years ago.  Even then, it didn't stop other card games from have mechanics that allowed a player to turn a card sideways.  Those games just didn't call it tapping (they called it just about everything else).

Additionally, no one can copy word for word how game mechanics function (as it is plagiarism), and I believe is covered by copyright.  Which perhaps these day/night mechanics were directly copied from Fury of Dracula.  If it were the case, I would think it would have been discussed somewhere by now.

I would think if game mechanics were the thing that got Cursed City in hot water, someone would have been able to tie what game mechanics are the issue.  Or maybe there is far less cross-over between GW players and board gamers in general than I think there are.

• Like 1

The problem is that a reprint is entirely in the hands of a third party, gw have no control over when/if they can reprint it. GW manufacture the models themselves (which is why they can now sell them separately) but all the card is printed in china.

For books, GW print softbacks in the UK I believe but hardbacks come from China. That’s why Chapter Approved is out on time but Codex Grey Knights and Thousand Sons are late. I’m guessing that dual box has been ready for a while but they’re waiting for the codexes to be available to release at the same time 

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

The problem is that a reprint is entirely in the hands of a third party, gw have no control over when/if they can reprint it. GW manufacture the models themselves (which is why they can now sell them separately) but all the card is printed in china.

For books, GW print softbacks in the UK I believe but hardbacks come from China. That’s why Chapter Approved is out on time but Codex Grey Knights and Thousand Sons are late. I’m guessing that dual box has been ready for a while but they’re waiting for the codexes to be available to release at the same time 

It can't be true that they have no control whatsoever over reprinting, or someone really messed up drafting a contract.

8 hours ago, JackdawGin said:

Guys, its fun to speculate but none of the Vyrkos Soulblight models are cancelled cursed city expansions.  I can't say about the Vampire Hunter pair because I haven't seen the sprues yet, but none of the new ones (Radukar the Beast, Belladamma, Krytza and Annika).  They are all normal to build models and were always intended as part of the Soulblight Gravelords release.  

The reason I know is that all the expansions for Blackstone Fortress (and I do mean all) are push-fit models just like the ones in the main box.  The Zoat, traitor guard, traitor commisar and ogryn, even the ETB death guard they did as a cash in one.  All of the expansions were push-fit.  If any of the models in the Soulblight range were originally intended as expansions to Cursed City they would have been push-fit as well.  

Good spot!  They'd still look great in the game, but would agree as they're not push fit, unlikely to have been intended for it.

6 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It can't be true that they have no control whatsoever over reprinting, or someone really messed up drafting a contract.

The latest rumour is the UK company they used for printing went bust and the company they use in China was shut down (and as such behind schedule) due to the pandemic.  This may or nor be true (it's a rumour!).  What I will say is that most contracts created with companies in China tend to be "one off" contracts rather than ongoing ones, so I could completely see how this could cause a problem (I work for a company that has a lot of contracts with Chinese companies and you're very beholden to their schedules and availability)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Apparently they use the same company/companies as every other board game, so the issue of reprints is finding a free slot in the third parties schedule while not interfering with the manufacturing of other gw products 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

It's pretty common, GW is a small company, printing a small amount of books and/or games.
Because of that, they wait, just like everyone else.

If they were asking their third party to print 300K of each BT or Codex, that would be different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackdawGin said:

I don’t think using Blackstone Fortress as an example works, because as of yet nothing in that game has been properly integrated into any of the factions, whereas Cursed City were always intended to be in the Soulblight Gravelords release. The fact anything is or isn’t easy-to-build in Soulblight Gravelords doesn’t mean it was or wasn’t supposed to be an expansion.

some of the expansions could have also been intended as White Dwarf articles that included cards for using the models, we just don’t know. **spoiler** As I said earlier, I suspect the contents of the mysterious envelope is rules for Rudakar The Beast, so some of the expansions could have just been stuff like that

16 hours ago, Sleboda said:

As to copyrighting game mechanics, yeah, you can. At least in some ways. I've known several copyright lawyers in my day, but I'm not actually one myself, so I can't promise I'm using the right terms, only trying to get ideas across - ideas I've discussed with those lawyers over dinner and wine numerous times. 

No you cannot.

There are elements of mechanics that one could, in theory, copyright. For example, if they rip your exact wording with no changes you have a much better case than if they re-word or re-describe the exact same mechanics (see the same arguments re: code with writing code to perform the same function vs. using exact code). If they used specific terms that are copyrighted or trademarked, like a horrible mangling of the word dwarf or elf (just as a theoretical example), you could probably ding them for those terms.

But using the rules concepts / framework / mechanics so long as you did your own design? Almost zero chance that's a problem in either the UK or the US. It's never actually zero because you don't know how a judge or jury will interact when they come into contact with the real world and there's a reason for an appeals process, but this kind of thing is where one could be as confident as one can reasonably be.

Likewise, I again raise the point of if someone sent a demand letter to GW, they would 100% want to publicize that their work was good enough for GW to rip it off as that alone will create future work (or GW would just hire them), or the payment from GW to silence them would be large enough they'd have to be disclosing it as a lawsuit settlement in their financial reporting (which they are not).

I re-iterate my previous point that the only lawsuit element that would cause this to go totally silent in this way would be gross misconduct by GW leading to the departure of an employee who was integral to the project and retained some rights, or a safety concern (seems very unlikely in this case, it's a board game). I am not saying this to suggest GW did that (I am in fact expressly not suggesting that), but rather saying the lawsuit element is extremely unlikely here (I would say less than 1% odds; it's never zero but much more likely the issue is in production rate and/or 3rd party suppliers).

Edited by Reinholt

12 minutes ago, Reinholt said:

gross misconduct by GW leading to the departure of an employee who was integral to the project and retained some rights, or a safety concern (seems very unlikely in this case, it's a board game).

I thought of that one as well, but did not want to get into it here as it's tough to explain well and carries some darker elements that feel wrong to explore in this forum. That said (without going into it, and I won't), in my time at GW there was a case of this that I had to have a minor part in resolving. It wasn't pretty, and the secrecy around it was profound, carrying threats of termination if a peep was made about it. So, I guess what I'm saying is that I've seen corporations take drastic steps over issues with employees.

Enough of that, though. None of us can say for sure what happened. I just really would love to see GW give us something to understand, rather than behaving in this secretive, sneaky way.

Ah well.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:59 AM, Joseph Mackay said:

I don’t think using Blackstone Fortress as an example works, because as of yet nothing in that game has been properly integrated into any of the factions, whereas Cursed City were always intended to be in the Soulblight Gravelords release. The fact anything is or isn’t easy-to-build in Soulblight Gravelords doesn’t mean it was or wasn’t supposed to be an expansion.

some of the expansions could have also been intended as White Dwarf articles that included cards for using the models, we just don’t know. **spoiler** As I said earlier, I suspect the contents of the mysterious envelope is rules for Rudakar The Beast, so some of the expansions could have just been stuff like that

I can confirm the envelope contains nothing of the sort.  Won't spoil it here but it's not rules for Radukar the Beast

The point of any expansions would be to sell them to people who brought the box game so you want consistency of product type.  

As another possibility there may not have been any expansions for cursed city.  Could be that the expansions to blackstone didn't sell well for the game (or sold primarily to 40K fans as a few of them were added to the Chaos armies), and signals got crossed in advertising the game.

Found a better theory instead of lawsuit as to why Cursed City disappeared.

Rule of Origin

Brexit has caused some pretty big problems with what you can, and cannot class as "made in the UK", and I'm betting cardstock, rulebooks etc. are printed in China.

Getting this wrong can add huge costs on the import of goods, enough to make a product unviable.

I dont know if its been suggested but what if it's simply due to corona. I bet their schedule, etc was all funked up just like everything else so they simply had to make a call on what product to abandon just to keep everything else on schedule. It surely wouldn't of been 40k, aos, or any of their skirmish lines. Cursed City could of just been made at the wrong point in history and just didnt have room. 

It seems like the story was supposed to lead up into the soulblight Gravelords release (which seems unfinished in it's own way but thats another thread)

I'm sure Annika & Kritza were supposed to be expansion villians as well with their own stories and the father daughter hunter team were suppose to be heros.  Its not game breaking but i really believe Annika should have a summon fell bat unit ability and Kritza should of had some kind of tie in rat model summon ability like how the other Vyrkos have their summon dire wolf abilities. 

Its definitely a bum deal fo sho though and hope gdubs shines a light on the situation eventually. 

Edited by Vasshpit

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

Rule of Origin

Brexit has caused some pretty big problems with what you can, and cannot class as "made in the UK", and I'm betting cardstock, rulebooks etc. are printed in China.

Getting this wrong can add huge costs on the import of goods, enough to make a product unviable.

They just simply wouldn’t sell it in the regions where that’s a problem, or raise the prices for those regions to cover the extra costs. That doesn’t explain why they’d ****** over the rest of the world

12 hours ago, Lucio said:

Rule of Origin

Doubtful that this is an issue. It would have cost pennies for them to through in an updated sheet of paper with corrections, or adding a sticker to the boxes over the 'made in UK' part with the updated info. Companies do this all the time when a mistake or update is needed on packaging on an otherwise good product.

11 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I'm sure Annika & Kritza were supposed to be expansion villians as well with their own stories and the father daughter hunter team were suppose to be heros.  Its not game breaking but i really believe Annika should have a summon fell bat unit ability and Kritza should of had some kind of tie in rat model summon ability like how the other Vyrkos have their summon dire wolf abilities.

The hunter team was in Broken Realms though- which means they either knew that Cursed City wasn't going to be a long term product months ago and flat out lied to people about it or that the models were pulling double duty in the first place, which probably meant that they had no intention of keeping Cursed City long term and having the models ready to go in BR when Cursed City was done with. The BR books and the boxes for the Hunter team would have been printed months ago, long before they were telling people that Cursed City was going to stay on shelves.

• Like 1