Ars bloodbound worth it?.

Entombet

Hello my first post here. Recently me and my oldest friend think to return into gw games. We both quited wfb around 5th edition and now wanna try aos. He like the sigmarines minis so chose them that left khornites for me. And now the question, are they competetive in battles?. Do AoS ha we power creep similiar to old wfb, where some races had no chance with top dogs?.

Everything is synergy with khorne as most of your heroes plays an important part of the game.

Basically all your troops are average but heroes boosts the charge range, to hit, to wound, attacks and so on. Formations like Dark feast or skullhunt are making your troops bigger and better.

I guess your question is something like "can a rat kill a dragon?"

The answer is potentially yes. Of course big monsters / heroes are tough to kill, but potentially every unit can kill everything. You have a fixed hit/wound/damage which is true against every kind of model; those numbers are then boosted / nerfed by abilities, spells, battalions...

As an example, my 20 blood reavers (no save, 1 atk 4+ to hit 4+ to wound, 1 dmg) took down a carnosaur (12 wounds, 4+ save - double check me here :) ): piled in, something like 12 models attacked, boosted by a bloodstoker and a blood secrator -> 2atk per model + 1 of the champion, reroll 1 to hit, reroll 1 to wound :) 

A bit messy but I hope it will serve anyway!

Bloodbound are fine, just quite reliant on getting into combat.  I particularly find Blood Warriors fun (and they're battleline!); even if an enemy starts taking them down in combat before they attack, they're still going to get that chance to take down the enemies with them.

Bloodbound are good - particularly against Deepstrike armies or mortal wound factories as the body count is so high.

Wrathmongers are the standout unit and Bloodstorm the standout formation.

Where they fall down is against bunker lists - Temple Guard plus Bastiladon Seraphon - only 1 in 36 wounds rend will not be saved and Kroak just sits back and aoe nukes your army or a Nurgle Plaguebearer wall with Epidemius and some mortars. Your only hope is that the Battleplan forces them to spread out and move forward. 

I'm not a huge fan of the Bloodstorm formation in the GH. At 140 points, and then 3 units of wrathmongers at 180 a piece, its incredibly expensive. I loved it for its price in SCGT, but I think its a bit too expensive in GH to take. It used to be 5 pools for the formation, and 8 per unit of wrathmongers. Paring over GH points to pools at a 2k level, its 7 for the formation now and 9 per unit of wrathmongers.

Personally I've been mixing khorne demons in with bloodbound, and have loved the combo. The demons give my bloodbound some ranged threat and the ability to play in all phases, while adding some big beasties as well (I field 2 bloodthirsters and 2 soul grinders)

I'm not a huge fan of the Bloodstorm formation in the GH. At 140 points, and then 3 units of wrathmongers at 180 a piece, its incredibly expensive. I loved it for its price in SCGT, but I think its a bit too expensive in GH to take. It used to be 5 pools for the formation, and 8 per unit of wrathmongers. Paring over GH points to pools at a 2k level, its 7 for the formation now and 9 per unit of wrathmongers.

It's a little bit pricey, but it does give you a lot. Exploding attacks on sixes to hit (which combos with their +1 to hit on the charge AND with Unpredictable Destruction). Battleshock immunity bubble around them. Finally -1 to hit with shooting attacks - which is massive - often a 33% damage reduction to 4+ to hit shooting.

Bloodstorm is basically an autowin against Ironjawz as they don't have any chaff units (and similar armies). It's also horrific against Paladins and obviously heroes.

Right but exploding attacks no longer loop like they could in SCGT. Under that comp you could feasibly be getting extra attacks on 3s while hitting on 2s with the new abilities. But since it's limited that additional attacks can't generate more, you don't get 5 models producing 40 attacks

I've found that they are a bit more horde like than previous Chaos Warrior forces. I run mine with a Dark Feast formation so they are defo a horde. Generally because they don't have any Behemoths or expensive characters you tend to have a larger army. 

No massive problem but they will be a bit different to the Chaos Armies you were used to in 5th

The models are superb as well much better than the dull Stromcast ?

12 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

I've found that they are a bit more horde like than previous Chaos Warrior forces. I run mine with a Dark Feast formation so they are defo a horde. Generally because they don't have any Behemoths or expensive characters you tend to have a larger army. 

No massive problem but they will be a bit different to the Chaos Armies you were used to in 5th

The models are superb as well much better than the dull Stromcast ?

Well i never played bad guys earlier "youth errors" but i remeber that chaos cost much in points. We choose those two becouse we quite like the minis, he the sigmarines me the chaos "for a change". And with start collecting boxes for both factions we can start playing low point battles

To Entombet, have you got any must haves or aims for your force such as points values in games or favourite models? Is it just going to be the two of you playing? 

When using the starter forces against each other our group found the stormcast would more reliably win as they were simply more resilient but using formations from the Blood Bound book as suggested here does add some good combo power, which is a big part of Bloodbound.

I've liked the kill power of Wrathmongers and on paper I want to try Skull Reapers as they can kick out mortal wounds which are good against storm cast. 

1 hour ago, Jedimasterwiggy said:

To Entombet, have you got any must haves or aims for your force such as points values in games or favourite models? Is it just going to be the two of you playing? 

When using the starter forces against each other our group found the stormcast would more reliably win as they were simply more resilient but using formations from the Blood Bound book as suggested here does add some good combo power, which is a big part of Bloodbound.

I've liked the kill power of Wrathmongers and on paper I want to try Skull Reapers as they can kick out mortal wounds which are good against storm cast. 

To be honest im w8 for generals handbook to look what specified units do. At few starting games ill narrow my choices to starter and start collecting units. My first purchase later will be skarbrand i think as i like the model.

I cooked my first list for 1000p, bear in mind she is created with minis i hawe or soon hawe in my collection to start some few introductionary games.

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)

Units
Bloodreavers x 30 (180)
- Reaver Blades
Mighty Skullcrushers x 3 (160)
- Glaives
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
Blood Warriors x 5 (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
Khorgoraths x 1 (80)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions

Total: 980/1000

Very similar to my army list (I run a unit of Wrathmongers & Skullgrinder instead of Bloodreavers and Skullcrushers though)

I run my 15 Blood Warriors as a 10 and a 5 rather than 3 5's.  This means you can give the champion in larger unit a Goreglaive which is both big and clever :)

I am really enjoying this new format, plus Bloodbound are in it. Also one of my rl friends works on it which is nice.

it seems like they did everything we asked for, battle reports, actual rules, much better adverts, painting guides the works. Also seemed to be a more relaxed atmosphere to the mag.

Bloodbound are all about scaling the buffs. The bloodsecrator gives everyone +1 A per weapon, the Wrathmongers give +1 A, the Bloodreavers get +1 A near a hero, so you can quickly churn out big A numbers from cheap troops.

But whats also nice is that both the +1A above also will work for any Khorne keyword, so Khorne Daemons also qualify. This turns units of Bloodletters into killing machines, and can make the cheapest Bloodthirster (4 attacks at 4+,2+,-2,D6) into 7 D6 wound attacks if it is your general with a relic blade as well, which makes it pretty vicious. Skullcannons are a nice addition to give some good ranged threat to add to the slaughterpriest.

So running a combined Khorne army is a great option, I can also recommend Skarrac the Bloodborn as a truly awesome Forgeworld model to add to the mix (expensive at 500pts), again the + attacks apply to him too and turn his main 2d6 3+,3+,-2,D3 into something more reliable which also helps keep him threatening when injured - and recovering D3 wounds per phase when he kills, pretty much every phase means against an opponent lacking ranged attacks its possible to nurse him back to health while churning through small mid tier units (I'm looking at those prosecutors etc).

Now i hawe dilema which model to use as general. Mighty lord od khorn and lord on jugg are tankier hawe more atcks but cost more. Aspiring deathbringer is squishy but gives kickass buff and cost 60p less (btw do his buff apply to all units in range or models in units within range?). Ofc im talking about not named heroes.

1 hour ago, Entombet said:

Now i hawe dilema which model to use as general. Mighty lord od khorn and lord on jugg are tankier hawe more atcks but cost more. Aspiring deathbringer is squishy but gives kickass buff and cost 60p less (btw do his buff apply to all units in range or models in units within range?). Ofc im talking about not named heroes.

I've not run anything other than a Mighty Lord so far - and he is a pretty decent tank.

Aspiring DB's command ability says all Mortal Khorne units within 6" :)

Archived