Jump to content

Soulblight Gravelords Hobby and Lore


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Sharklone said:

Update to my Wow Death knight inspired army. finished my first 1K list.

201242633_10157821471001793_7027306767682913496_n.jpg

In awe of the size of these lads. Absolute units!

I was already planning to pick up a bunch of Fell Bats eventually, but pictures like yours make me think I should do it sooner than I planned.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy folks, I messed up and seem to have misplaced the hip armor on Lauka Vai (#20 and #21 on the sprue), does anyone happen to have extras of these or ones they didn't use? I would really appreciate it if someone used the kit for a conversion and didn't need them!

She still looks good without, but it's going to bother me until I get my hands on some...

20210707_150038.jpg

  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprising that GW decided to release a new Liche Priest model in 2021, but I'm not complaining,

20210709_131430.jpg.ad3c21560b0a0868e99f0b96a4752fa5.jpg

Jokes aside, the FAQ making the models from Radukar's Court into real boys gave me the motivation to finally go through with this conversion I have been considering for a while.

 

Gorslav is a really nice model, but there is a bit of a "Don't talk to me or my son ever again" Situation going on if I put him next to one of the old metal liche priests:

20210709_131612.jpg.32801cecebc686cf665718226f8ce539.jpg

  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I am running a Kastelai list and wanted to stick to the Knightly theme of my army which is basically Blood Knights, Prince V, a Vengorian Lord and Belladamma. Wasn't a huge fan of Grandma Vampire and GWs Vengorian Lord as it relates to the theme I'm going for. So I took a Varanguard Horse and Rider and did some kit bashing to make my Belladamma Volga proxy. As for the Vengorian Lord I used a bunch of various bits I had along with a 3D printed Vampire Beast head to make what I'm calling a Vampire Lord with his bat like creature pet.

20210707_185629.jpg

20210707_185001.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I have a modelling question. Can anyone tell me if the kit for the cursed city Ulfenwatch skeletons is the same one as the new death-rattle skeletons? I like them both, but I’m trying to tell if there’s a difference and if so what? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TechnoVampire said:

Hi there, I have a modelling question. Can anyone tell me if the kit for the cursed city Ulfenwatch skeletons is the same one as the new death-rattle skeletons? I like them both, but I’m trying to tell if there’s a difference and if so what? 

 

Cursed city skeletons are easy to build models. Standard ones are a kind of modelling nightmare, with a lot of tiiny parts to glue together. I hated them 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ferrus65 said:

Cursed city skeletons are easy to build models. Standard ones are a kind of modelling nightmare, with a lot of tiiny parts to glue together. I hated them 

Haha oh dear, looks like I’ll be having lots of fun with tiny parts as I ordered the death rattle kit. I’m actually using them as a unit of 20 grave guard, because I like the models and it’s convenient and money saving that they come in a box of 20. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, TechnoVampire said:

Haha oh dear, looks like I’ll be having lots of fun with tiny parts as I ordered the death rattle kit. I’m actually using them as a unit of 20 grave guard, because I like the models and it’s convenient and money saving that they come in a box of 20. 

Just be very careful to follow the directions, & make sure you're grabbing the right parts.  It can be easy to confuse the legs especially & they are NOT interchangeable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 11:58 PM, Sception said:

Just be very careful to follow the directions, & make sure you're grabbing the right parts.  It can be easy to confuse the legs especially & they are NOT interchangeable.

Thanks for the heads up, sounds like something I’d be very likely to do! (Hope your wonky(ier) skeletons look ok! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They look alright, but in a couple cases I had to pry apart half-set plastic glue to move legs that seemed like they sorta fit one torso to the torso that they actually fit because the legs that were supposed to fit the first torso didn't fit the second at all.

The pieces have little numbered tabs on the sprues to help you identify which bit the instructions are referring to, but usually I just clip and clean all the bits first, and just go by the pictures in the instructions to identify which to grab later, and that's just a bad idea with this skeleton kit.  Even if you're grabbing bits from the sprue one at a time when the instructions call for them, they're still crammed close together and it can sometimes be difficult to tell which number is referring to what bit.

Basically, if the hips don't fit between the front and balk halves of the upper torso bits /perfectly/, if it seems like the fit's a bit too snug or like you have to force something at all, then you probably have the wrong hip/leg bits and need to double check.

The arms and heads on this kit are ~somewhat~ interchangeable.  Some of the torsos have chain bits over the neck that need to connect to particular helmets, some of the arms are at wonky angles that don't work with some of the torsos, but you can mix and match a bit for these if you're careful and make sure you know where everything goes before you glue anything, but the torsos and legs aren't interchangeable at all.  Honestly, there's enough variety in the standard models/poses that just following the directions carefully is the way to go, imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I’ve started a vampire coast army, inspired by the total war videogame. These are my first deckhands zombies. I’m working on some grave guard (not depth guard, those will be blood knights), a rotting leviathan (vampire on zombie dragon), and a necrofex colossus(mega gargant). I’ll post the models when they are fully built.

Hope you enjoy, cheers!

4E64F454-547D-4E2E-9B0A-F9ABE93A2F61.jpeg

041ECFF6-8D3C-4269-A649-33114DD0B681.jpeg

EE45D90B-DEC6-4A9B-92CE-8153D014A6FD.jpeg

55A567DE-91D7-4E9F-B9D1-5349143B746C.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Sception said:

They look alright, but in a couple cases I had to pry apart half-set plastic glue to move legs that seemed like they sorta fit one torso to the torso that they actually fit because the legs that were supposed to fit the first torso didn't fit the second at all.

The pieces have little numbered tabs on the sprues to help you identify which bit the instructions are referring to, but usually I just clip and clean all the bits first, and just go by the pictures in the instructions to identify which to grab later, and that's just a bad idea with this skeleton kit.  Even if you're grabbing bits from the sprue one at a time when the instructions call for them, they're still crammed close together and it can sometimes be difficult to tell which number is referring to what bit.

Basically, if the hips don't fit between the front and balk halves of the upper torso bits /perfectly/, if it seems like the fit's a bit too snug or like you have to force something at all, then you probably have the wrong hip/leg bits and need to double check.

The arms and heads on this kit are ~somewhat~ interchangeable.  Some of the torsos have chain bits over the neck that need to connect to particular helmets, some of the arms are at wonky angles that don't work with some of the torsos, but you can mix and match a bit for these if you're careful and make sure you know where everything goes before you glue anything, but the torsos and legs aren't interchangeable at all.  Honestly, there's enough variety in the standard models/poses that just following the directions carefully is the way to go, imo.

Thanks for the heads up! I finished mine last week and they were indeed a fiddly unit to put together. I love how they look, but as you said finding the right pieces, cleaning and gluing took forever and felt like a bit of a chore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad to have at least saved someone some of the hassle I went through.

Honestly, I still wish they had done a new grave guard kit and left the existing skeletons alone.  The old skittle kit was still fine, imo, and in particular chopped up into piles of miscellaneous bones and skulls to use on bases & such well, where the new skeleton kit just doesn't.

As a unit, the new kit looks better than the old kit, sure, but the grave guard warranted the upgrade more.  Oh, well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'm glad to have at least saved someone some of the hassle I went through.

Honestly, I still wish they had done a new grave guard kit and left the existing skeletons alone.  The old skittle kit was still fine, imo, and in particular chopped up into piles of miscellaneous bones and skulls to use on bases & such well, where the new skeleton kit just doesn't.

As a unit, the new kit looks better than the old kit, sure, but the grave guard warranted the upgrade more.  Oh, well.

I agree that the Grave Guard are probably the weakest sculpt in Gravelords at the moment. But at the same time, the new skeletons are definitely a visual upgrade over the old ones. I find that the old skeleton's bent-over pose and low visual interest often kind of just make them disappear on the table. The new kit is an improvement in that regard, in my opinion.

Still, I would not be against a Grave Guard resculpt. Their current aesthetic is a bit out of place, and most importantly they kinda look less impressive than the new skeletons. Given that they are the elite skeleton unit, that's not ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The vampire fleet captain on rotting leviathan. She represents a vampire lord on zombie dragon. She has her throne to lounge in during long rides and to intimidate petitioners. (She’s a younger vampire. Not as sure of her power. Leans more into the dramatic.) Likewise, the heads of defeated foes gives a certain impression.

Her body was leftover from the dominion set. I built the back of her with leftover green stuff from the zombie project. The cloak is a mold from a Corsair cloak. Her right arm is from an old high elf sky cutter crew and the other is a repositioned free company arm. Hat is a great sword on top of another dominion leftover. The banner is bretonian. Otherwise mostly followed the rotting leviathan guide I posted elsewhere.

Fun project. I’d like to make another, even though I traded a friend for a leviadon that the count (prince V) rides on. That one is still in the planning stages though. … I should probably start painting…

Hope you’re having a good one.  Cheers👍

Spoiler

1A114AA3-9394-4873-885A-43622200A4BB.jpeg31813FFB-0EDD-4BF2-AD4B-C6024D04566A.jpeg4BD664E3-A930-4D63-8C8A-F3299E9AA0D1.jpeg7AE84F56-F01C-4BF4-87BF-508DDE5DFA79.jpegBB6F3623-F409-4E68-A8D0-4F90104C3019.jpeg

Edited by TheArborealWalrus
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sharklone said:

Finished up my second zombie dragon with vamp. Apologies for the ****** lighting my light box is too small!

 

20210909_065506.jpg

That's a really nice use of Prince Duvalle. I was always lukewarm on him because I find his pose unnatural, but it really works in the context of bracing himself while standing on top of a Zombie Dragon.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of making a faction based on the different mixed human and undead kingdoms from lore. Partially based on Mousillon of old. Also because I still want to use my old bretonnia knights as feudal blood knights. 

When reading through lore from the Wiki I saw where souls from the world that was were taken and and could be brought back. I want to make mallobaude the leader of a remade bretonnia kingdom with devote human thralls (skeletons) and when they perish they are brought back as zombies. I did a test model of a thrall unit, Mousillon foot vampire who is recently turned. similar idea of knights errent, they have to prove themselves in combat before they fight on horseback. I'm also going to repaint the shields to be black and yellow. at some point I also plan on making a unit of zombied thralls. going to get emblems for the shields as well at some point.

I always liked the idea of a mixed human/undead army for Mousillon. 20210922_155916.jpg.4bbcc426fe18dba7740199a1cd6e3fe9.jpg

  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...