Soulblight Gravelords Hobby and Lore

Nactigal

I was planning on going all in on the knightly scheme like these first units

But after seeing the vykros dynasty and the sad Black knights i swing towards hound of baskervilles theme since already planed on doing swampy/highland theme 😄 i will post my progress when my minis arrive. 

Already finished the conserion of mannfred/ghoul king below

20210425_144248.jpg

20210425_144240.jpg

20210425_144256.jpg

IMG-20210515-WA0002.jpeg

• Like 6

No pictures, 'cuz my phone is dead, but work updating my old Undead Legion to Sblight Lords continues apace.  Have started rebasing my 40 grave guard onto rounds.

They were originally intended as a big horde unit for oldhammer fantasy, 40 grave guard plus heroes and unit fillers to make for a masive 10x5 death star (pun intended).  To avoid choosing between their equipment options, I assembled half with sword and board, but with great weapons on their backs, and half with great weapons, but with sword & board on their backs, with the intention of putting the models carrying the weapons I was using that game in the front ranks.  And to sell the mixed vamp count/tomb kings 'undead legions' gimmick, I used tomb kings shields for everything.  It was a brilliant concept for warhammer fantasy, but undead legions was an end times list, and the whole game died out from under me before I could get them so much as primed (or re-primed, in the case of some ancient holdovers from my 7th ed paint scheme.

As neat a gimmick as all that was in a rank & file game, 'put some in the back ranks' doesn't work so well for a non-ranked game.  So since I was hacking up their bases anyway, I also hacked the spare gear off their backs.  Overall they are not in the best condition, but I expect to be replacing them with new grave guard some time in the next few years.

It didn't escape my notice that the new deathrattle start collecting box would give me exactly enough grave guard models to field a max unit of each equipment type.  On the one hand, that's super tempting, and would give me an excuse to get that mounted wight king model I love so much now instead of waiting and hoping for a separate release that may or may not ever come.  On the other hand, again, I /do/ expect to be replacing my grave guard with new models outright a few years down the line, so maybe I don't want to spend a hundred odd ameriquid on a bunch of the current models?

Eh......

RE: lore, folks might be interested in the 2+ Tough videos on the new background, kind of a rarity when it comes to discussing this sort of thing before release. Today's one is about the broad structure of vampire society.

Interestingly it seems that the new battletome emphasises how the legions of blood/night/etc came first, right at the start of Nagash's dominion as he sought to conquer all the other death gods. He resurrected/recreated Neferata and Mannfred (and Ushoran) as the first vampires in the mortal realms and the legions were basically the forces he granted to them. They then made further vampires to act as their captains and lieutenants.

The dynasties, by contrast, were then what happened when those vampires started making (or adopting) more vampires and settling down, taking on different characteristics in different places as a sort of landed undead gentry of Shyish and elsewhere. Not purely military bodies, more a natural result of vampires' inclination towards politicking and their need to pull together their own feudal forces/resources to be useful to the mortarchs. Some dynasties were deliberately founded or assigned to particular roles, like Neferata granting rulership over different parts of Neferatia to particular dynasties. Apparently no single dynasty has the power of the great centralised legions of Nagash because they are by design subservient bodies to them, even if they resent this. The kastelai, avengorii and vyrkos are simply the largest and most powerful dynasties.

It sounds to me a little like late European antiquity, where you had a large central power and mighty military forces/offices that then gradually transformed into more settled feudal titles, like the Roman military title dux eventually becoming the local aristocratic title 'duke'... except in this context it all happened around the same time and no one died off because they're all immortal.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 8

This is where my guys are at for now:

20210518_161955.jpg.94cc831fd73886084c95d0889656f5ba.jpg

20210518_162011.jpg.dca29096dbe73cfc2f726f96ff7f60d2.jpg

20210518_162020.jpg.67f6d3ea3ea29d4b65d874b79bd74616.jpg

20210518_162034.jpg.845f0aaf4b1009bcce245f3028dd874c.jpg

In my head they are an ancient independent Deathrattle kingdom that is looking for an alliance with a powerful Gravelords dynasty because it is facing increased pressure from the Ossiarch Bonereapers and newly expanding forces of Order. That's how I am going to explain adding a bunch of Vyrkos models to my army, at least. I think it's nice that the lore has an built in justification for having two different aesthetics for these two parts of my army.

• Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 2

Started getting some paint on the pair!! Still very WiP but happy that I'm getting it going. Going to keep a white walker theme for all my dragons and terrorgheist like I did for my old vampire on zombie dragon though I've totallt forgotten to greenstuff eyes on this one... whoops! Will need to add those in.

20210518_225641.jpg

20210518_225645.jpg

20210518_225652.jpg

Edited by Lightbox
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Hey everyone! So in the end the new zombie sculpts were too good to ignore, and there has been years since I wanted a zombie army. So I will start a Deadwalker force, with shy starting steps, maybe to dive in the new path to glory with them. Here is my couple of first rotten bois from Cursed City while I wait for my pack of the new deadwalkers and the corpse cart, and a bonus kosargi, who I hope will get separate points some day :') 

I will take a snowy environment for these guys, with pale skin, like if they died from hypothermia. I plan to make some torches to have a hot color contrapoint for all this cold palette.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 17.32.17.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, drcrater said:

Hey everyone! So in the end the new zombie sculpts were too good to ignore, and there has been years since I wanted a zombie army. So I will start a Deadwalker force, with shy starting steps, maybe to dive in the new path to glory with them. Here is my couple of first rotten bois from Cursed City while I wait for my pack of the new deadwalkers and the corpse cart, and a bonus kosargi, who I hope will get separate points some day :') 

I will take a snowy environment for these guys, with pale skin, like if they died from hypothermia. I plan to make some torches to have a hot color contrapoint for all this cold palette.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 17.32.17.jpeg

Oh wow! Those look great! How did you do the skin? I'm wanting to also have a snowy theme for my soulblight so would love to be able to replicate a similar cold dead skin look.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Oh wow! Those look great! How did you do the skin? I'm wanting to also have a snowy theme for my soulblight so would love to be able to replicate a similar cold dead skin look.

Well, I plan to have different tones for the skin, but right now my best recipe is Rakarth flesh, put some random stains of fenrisian grey, druchii violet wash, and highlights with rakarth again and ulthuan grey :D I also apply some mini washes of carrorbug crimson in the wounds and in knees/elbows

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

I really don’t like the Vengorian Lord Model, so decided to make a conversion/ proxy, he’s not done yet. So wip..

what do you think? I will make better picture when he’s done.

I like it! I too am not a huge fan of the Vengorian Lord model, I'm still debating what I want to do there. Maybe make a huge creature of some sort or go the route of a more "normal" looking Vampire.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:02 AM, Lightbox said:

Started getting some paint on the pair!! Still very WiP but happy that I'm getting it going. Going to keep a white walker theme for all my dragons and terrorgheist like I did for my old vampire on zombie dragon though I've totallt forgotten to greenstuff eyes on this one... whoops! Will need to add those in.

20210518_225641.jpg

20210518_225645.jpg

20210518_225652.jpg

Zombie dragon conversion is awsome! How did you build It? Is It The seraphon realmshaper engine?

Edited by Ferrus65
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ferrus65 said:

Zombie dragon conversion is awsome! How did you build It? Is It The seraphon realmshaper engine?

Yep! Lots of cutting/sawing to get just the top part of the plinth then just glued the zombie dragon head/neck onto it and added greenstuff lightning energy. Drilled a couple of holes in the steps and platform so that prince ducal can stand there for when I want to use it as a Vlord on Zdragon. Had to remove his standing rock and cut away some of his cape to make him fit nicely. Originally I had planned to use a realmgate but unfortunately my local GW had none in stock (online only now I think?) so I figured I'd try this. I would like to get a realmgate to have my spare unbuilt mortarch mount (or anothe r zombie dragon / terrorgheist head) coming out from though!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

I gave my Vengorian Lord a hair transplant from Lauka Vai. I hate bald vampires and now I hate GW for making me put in so many hours and shred my thumb on the scalpel. Still...it seems to have worked. Thoughts? 

May be an image of 1 person

Congratulations, you’re the first person in the realms to perform a successful hair transplant. Druids and healers will be studying your techniques for centuries to come. xD

Jokes aside, it actually looks really good!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New phone (only temporarily, as it came w/ a cracked screen, so must soon return to the amazon to become new, new phone, but not until next week), new camera, new pictures, more basing progress:

Spoiler

253529730_artflow_2021052116341.png.3c9dfe6af505e9f37b9b131a8cd36021.png

grave guard, bases trimmed, glued down on new bases, texture paint to try and smooth the difference.  The front group is fine, but the back group still has a noticeable lip - too noticeable for patches of snow to make up for after painting is done.  They were done with a newer and thus thinner pot of texture paint.  Will need a second layer of texture paint to make up the difference.

1790418801_artflow_2021052116361.png.960f0fffcf03c44795fd18c3b72d07ca.png

Nagash also done with the newer pot of texture paint.  Not really necessary to build up any height here, but will probably do a second layer just for a more consistent effect.

1767307905_artflow_2021052116371.png.81d8ae02716b805328fbd0788e4ba6cb.png

Terrorgheist is pretty ok, though.  Might add just some extra patches here and there.

So yeah, a bit more basing work to do on these models, and some priming to do on a few things.  Getting close to ready for a proper inventory.

For my soulblight they are led by a pair of twins. Cassia von Ravenspeak who is my vlord on zombie dragon (also have a horse mounted version of her) and now I have a model for her sister Lucia von Ravenspeak. Lucia is my 'Vengorian lord' or rather she's the graceful vampire stood in front whilst her corrupted shados takes hideous form representative of her monsterous nature to destroy enemies. Still working on fleshing out lore for the twins but will definitely be making anvil of blood versions of them too!

20210523_010631.jpg

20210523_010642.jpg

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Lightbox said:

For my soulblight they are led by a pair of twins. Cassia von Ravenspeak who is my vlord on zombie dragon (also have a horse mounted version of her) and now I have a model for her sister Lucia von Ravenspeak. Lucia is my 'Vengorian lord' or rather she's the graceful vampire stood in front whilst her corrupted shados takes hideous form representative of her monsterous nature to destroy enemies. Still working on fleshing out lore for the twins but will definitely be making anvil of blood versions of them too!

20210523_010631.jpg

20210523_010642.jpg

Wow, that is a cool conversion and I LOVE your lore! I also have some sisters in my lore (which may get an overhaul) but only 1 is a vampire and it was a way to have background lore for armies of all alliances. 

Can't wait to see it painted up, as the actual Vengorian Lord model is like a shadow familiar/construct? That is a fantastic idea! 

Will see if I can put some lore soon. Sadly, while I still got a few models I need to finish, I probably won't be getting any new models for a week or so. So this army may be more of a slow grow than I intended, but hey, I got....a lot of stuff to work on. 

• Thanks 1

Ach! Hans, run! It's the Vargskyr!

20210523_164434.jpg.b4d5424bf319ea6c878bdf2ba680303d.jpg20210523_164316.jpg.0edf211e9fa8c6584845f60ff68fe05e.jpg

I wanted to contribute something to this thread that's not a 10 year old model from a completely different army, so I quickly knocked out this guy today.

The Vargskyr really paints himself, this is 90% drybrushing and washes.

EDIT: I made it more violet because I can't stop ****** with my finished miniatures. Opinions?

20210523_203830.jpg.c7c5a35443574371698eb56894caa301.jpg

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Greetings knights and paesants alike! I am going to join a quest of modelling and i would really appreciate some imput from the community on how to work it out.
I would like to make the Walach Harkon represented in this old illustration, put him on a big dragon and use him as Prince Vhordrai but i would not know where to start from. Could you point me towards some goo bits and kits to better represent this character? 

1.jpg