A wind charged list - fun? Fluffy? Or just rubbish?

Tried a new list yesterday. I think it has a huge amount of fun potential. What do you think?

Sevireth

wind mage

wind mage

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

5 windchargers 

Hurakan Spirit of the Wind

Helon Temple

If you want to go with 2 Drops, you need two Temple Battalions and max 6 Kangaroo units.

Allegiance: Lumineth Realm Lords

- Great Nation: Helon

Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (300)

Hurakan Windmage (120)

- General

Hurakan Windmage (120)

5 x Hurakan Windchargers (130)

1 x Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (250)

Hurakan Temple (180)

Hurakan Temple (180)

Rune of Petrification

Windcharges are to hard to play casual and to squishy to play competitive 

you are looking at 60 wounds at 5+ save and no ++, you have close to 0 objective control power

maybe 1/2 units to harras and annoy the enemy are fine, but a whole list built around them will get totally annihilated by a semi decent damage list

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:39 AM, LuminethMage said:

So how did it go for you? Who did you fight? 

Went pretty well. Beat a 2 mawcrusher, pig heavy jawz list. Positioning is crucial because the Roos are squishy, but using them in conjunction with the foxes really helps keep them safe in combat. Need to try it vs a shooting heavy list. I think it’ll get taken apart by KO but will do well against anything that doesn’t match it for movement. The main thing is that it is very very very fun!

Already tweaking it though. I’m really not concerned with lowering the drops and the Hurakan temple is, IMO, pointless for its price (180 points!) Shifting the points around gets me 2 spirit of the wind for the cost of 5 Roos and a mage, so 1 mage, 3 foxes (incl Sevireth), 8x5 Roos I think could be even better an even more fun!

Edited by WAAAGHdogg15
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, Sonnenspeer said:

If you want to go with 2 Drops, you need two Temple Battalions and max 6 Kangaroo units.

Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (300)

Hurakan Windmage (120)

- General

Hurakan Windmage (120)

1 x Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (250)

Hurakan Temple (180)

Hurakan Temple (180)

Rune of Petrification

Can I take the same battallion Twice!?

Just to update, the tweaked list had a minor win vs Sons of Behemat this week. It really is old school wood elf MSU. Unless you can apply force in multiple places at range, this army will annoy the hell out of you and unless you can hold multiple objectives reliably, it can take them off you to keep up on the scoreboard. It has lots of weaknesses but also more strengths than you might realise on paper.

• Thanks 1

I was wondering if there is a different interpretation on how I understand the rules of the temple and how it works in the combat phase.  Does it mean that I can fly, and pile-in 6” during any charge phase?

As-in: I can move my unit up to within range of my 12” bows while staying wholly within 12” of my hero from this battalion.  I can shoot in my phase and then count as charging in my phase and be able to pile-in and fly specifically 6” away keeping my Windchargers at 18” range and my hero somewhere nearby.

Without making this play the only time I can see this battalion being of any use is if more than one unit gets charged by the enemy and you get the opportunity to leave combat before they get killed.  I guess it also allows you to bounce to extreme range in CC to minimize incoming attacks or out of pile in range, but that still means you’re counting heavily on being charged, right?

I’ve been enjoying the speed the Hurakan units bring and I’m starting to feel like I have enough of a handle on them to try the battalion so I just don’t want it to be wasted points, I feel there must be a sweet spot in the # of kangaroos to bring before losing the effectiveness at taking/holding objectives and I’d really like to know what that is...

On 5/28/2021 at 10:38 PM, Andalf said:

I was wondering if there is a different interpretation on how I understand the rules of the temple and how it works in the combat phase.  Does it mean that I can fly, and pile-in 6” during any charge phase?

As-in: I can move my unit up to within range of my 12” bows while staying wholly within 12” of my hero from this battalion.  I can shoot in my phase and then count as charging in my phase and be able to pile-in and fly specifically 6” away keeping my Windchargers at 18” range and my hero somewhere nearby.

Without making this play the only time I can see this battalion being of any use is if more than one unit gets charged by the enemy and you get the opportunity to leave combat before they get killed.  I guess it also allows you to bounce to extreme range in CC to minimize incoming attacks or out of pile in range, but that still means you’re counting heavily on being charged, right?

I’ve been enjoying the speed the Hurakan units bring and I’m starting to feel like I have enough of a handle on them to try the battalion so I just don’t want it to be wasted points, I feel there must be a sweet spot in the # of kangaroos to bring before losing the effectiveness at taking/holding objectives and I’d really like to know what that is...

I’d love to think your interpretation is correct. Sadly, I’m pretty sure it isn’t. You can only pile in if you’re within 3” of an enemy. With the double pile in that LRL get as standard, it is a good ability but not worth 180 points in my opinion. Role on 3rd edition where we can retreat and stand and shoot as charge reactions 😁

I think you get to make a pile-in if you charged that turn, which you count as charging when wholly within 12” of a hero from the battalion so I really do think this unit can move 14-16” shoot, and then move another 6”, and also move 6” in the opponents combat phase, so long as it maintains ranges to the characters.

So far Reddit is having trouble with this one too but I really think it’s clear as mud...  I’d really like to know because it would make the 180point price tag more understandable.  Not just that but in case people are running these units against me I don’t want to get gotcha’d, there’s something like 4 LRL players out of 12 in my area.

Edited by Andalf

Am I missing something? I thought these questions were answered in the most recent FAQ:

Q: Can I use the ‘Spirit of the Wind’ ability in my opponent’s shooting phase? A: Yes.

Q: Does the Hurakan Temple ability ‘Whirling Tornadoes’ allow units in the battalion to count as having charged in the enemy turn? A: Yes.

Q: Can a unit from the Hurakan Temple battalion using the ‘Whirling Tornadoes’ ability make a pile-in move even if that unit is not within 3" of enemy units? A: Yes.

Just reiterating Mr. Hotep as the FAQ does a great job of spelling out the ‘Yes’ but a pretty gak job at spelling out what that means the unit is actually capable of on the table.  I’ve had too many discussions about how this works that I’ve decided to shelf the battalion until AoS3, it’s a bit maddening because I’ve bought into three different play styles with Lumineth to basically have my opponents misunderstanding and overblown expectations turn into rather not fun experiences. 

It does have me really looking forward to what they do with battalions in the next edition too though.  The Wind Temple JSJ is an epic play style as far as I’m concerned and I’d hate to see it go away just because other factions didn’t get good rules for their battalions.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Andalf said:

Just reiterating Mr. Hotep as the FAQ does a great job of spelling out the ‘Yes’ but a pretty gak job at spelling out what that means the unit is actually capable of on the table.  I’ve had too many discussions about how this works that I’ve decided to shelf the battalion until AoS3, it’s a bit maddening because I’ve bought into three different play styles with Lumineth to basically have my opponents misunderstanding and overblown expectations turn into rather not fun experiences. 

It does have me really looking forward to what they do with battalions in the next edition too though.  The Wind Temple JSJ is an epic play style as far as I’m concerned and I’d hate to see it go away just because other factions didn’t get good rules for their battalions.

The leaks seem to suggest that battalions like this won’t be used in matched play. Matched will use a more 40k system from what I understand e.g. 3 battleline + hero = battalion in any army (don’t know if that’s actually a combo). At least that will level out some of these rules queries for matched play players. 

in the meantime I might try out the battalion before 3rd hits. Unfortunately it means big tweaks to my list - either dropping 2 units of chargers or a fox or turning Sevireth into a Spirit of the wind and thereby losing a hero.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this list. Currently running 4 foxes because I can’t get enough of them 😂

Hurakan Windmage (120)
- General
- Command Trait: Skyrace Grand Champion  
- Artefact: Metalith Dust  
- Lore of the Winds: Guiding Flurries
Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (300)
5 x Hurakan Windchargers (130)
Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (250)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

Anyone who enjoys movement and msu elves (aelves), I urge you to give this a go! Win or lose, it’s great fun!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

Update to this list. Currently running 4 foxes because I can’t get enough of them 😂

Hurakan Windmage (120)
- General
Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (300)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 105

Anyone who enjoys movement and msu elves (aelves), I urge you to give this a go! Win or lose, it’s great fun!

Crikey, that is a LOT of foxes and taun-tauns. Still it does look fun af

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

List now adapted for 3.0 and it has become a bit silly. We are up to 5 foxes. It is the most fun I’ve had playing Warhammer but it’ll be really matchup dependent!

- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain

Hurakan Windmage (120)
- General

Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (345)

5 x Hurakan Windchargers (155)

1 x Hurakan Spirit of the Wind (265)

Total: 1990 points

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 1:13 AM, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

List now adapted for 3.0 and it has become a bit silly. We are up to 5 foxes. It is the most fun I’ve had playing Warhammer but it’ll be really matchup dependent!

- Grand Strategy: Predator's Domain

Hurakan Windmage (120)
- General

Sevireth, Lord of the Seventh Wind (345)

Total: 1990 points

Sounds like a fun list! How does your opponent handle the foxes?

On 8/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, Howdyhedberg said:

Sounds like a fun list! How does your opponent handle the foxes?

Had a massive debate on Twitter yesterday about whether or not foxes create negative play experience. Personally I think they just have a few mechanics that people aren’t used to yet. They are, albeit, very difficult to kill without good movement and shooting. This list has clear weaknesses though, especially when it comes to holding objectives or applying damage. There is very little in the way of MW output.

To answer the question though, it’s a hell of a lot of fun to play with. To play against… let’s just say it’s a good job I’m a friendly person 🤣

Seriously though, I think once people get used to foxes being part of the meta, the 12” shooting phase move won’t be as much of an issue. I’m just waiting for all those who haven’t yet discovered the pile in jankiness which means that, even when they’re with 3” of you, you still can’t hit them! To me, that’s what creates the NPE if anything.

It’s a really fun list though and I suspect you’ll see it doing the rounds sooner or later.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, ledha said:

It's a very "extreme" list. Either your opponent can deal with it (lot of shooting, less drops) and will win or he can't (slow and full melee army like khorne mortal) and end up unable to even fight back

That is certainly the gist of it. I’ll tell you a slow melee army that this can’t beat though… Sons of Behemat. It doesn’t have the damage output or bodies to kill them or contest objectives.

It is a very rock, paper, scissors type list but I have to say, I’m really enjoying it. What I have also recently realised is that even when you run an extreme list like this, as long as you aren’t a ****** whilst playing it, even an opponent who can’t deal with it will usually still enjoy the game (as long as they are also not a ******…)

On 8/12/2021 at 4:07 PM, WAAAGHdogg15 said:

Had a massive debate on Twitter yesterday about whether or not foxes create negative play experience. Personally I think they just have a few mechanics that people aren’t used to yet. They are, albeit, very difficult to kill without good movement and shooting. This list has clear weaknesses though, especially when it comes to holding objectives or applying damage. There is very little in the way of MW output.

To answer the question though, it’s a hell of a lot of fun to play with. To play against… let’s just say it’s a good job I’m a friendly person 🤣

Seriously though, I think once people get used to foxes being part of the meta, the 12” shooting phase move won’t be as much of an issue. I’m just waiting for all those who haven’t yet discovered the pile in jankiness which means that, even when they’re with 3” of you, you still can’t hit them! To me, that’s what creates the NPE if anything.

It’s a really fun list though and I suspect you’ll see it doing the rounds sooner or later.

I agree, and generally think that NPE topic is way overblown, but as most of the major AoS channels are all into the “Foxes are the worst” thing, I doubt you’ll have an easy time convincing anyone.

It looks like for many people - a pure melee army that runs into your opponent and throws some dice is the most fun experience in this game. And a Fox list is just the opposite. Maybe because AoS started like this, there is a lot of the players who really don’t like shooting, magic and anything that’s not allowing melee armies to do what they want (I don’t mean easy wins - just that they want to be able to charge and kill stuff basically 100% of the time, if that’s not possible - NPE). 

And if a large part of the community feels like that it’s hard to change it. Because if you talk about what’s NPE you never can be wrong. There might be some people who change their minds after actually playing against such a list, but with all the negativity  being thrown out by the guys with the big microphones - people are already expecting to have a bad experience before the game starts, so it’s very easy to fall into - this is BS - mindset during the game. 

• Like 2