Kragnos discussion

Hypno

Well he can be taken by any destruction faction and probably can do a grand alliance destruction set up

He has 18W and a 2+ AS

Does MW on charge but not sure in what format yet

+1 Bra bubble wholly within 12

Rolls 3d6 vs spells and if he beats the casting value on the spell itself its negated on him

• Like 2

His story seems kidna weird. Like did Gordrak get fired or something? Lots of overlap there. He looks like he should be a beastman. Or maybe Beasts of Chaos should become Beasts of Destruction. 

His aesthetic is gonna clash with my ironjaws pretty hard. Might have to just paint him green and pretend he is gork or mork. His bravery bubble is nice though. 

Edited by Dream
  • Like 3

Yeah I wish this guy would've been an avatar for Morghur, and then for Destruction get some sort of big greenskin who can lay down a giant foot shaped endless spell.  But since that didn't happen I hope Kragnos causes earthquake effects of some sort on the table.  And I hope he's friggin gigantic!  

• Like 2

With 2+ save and resistance vs spells, some factions will be quite good at taking him out, while others will struggle mightily. It's better than the 1+ save bug, at least.

Will survive the first volley of 30 sentinels, but die to the second.

Drill cannons (best rending weapons of Kharadron) on gunhaulers will deal an average of about 1.22 per round (with 1 the mortal wounds and 0.22 the rending hits), skycannons almost 1 (0.97, but at lower range).

Best bet for Kharadron would be Endrinriggers with drill cannons and volleyguns, they'll deal 0.5 with the volleygun and 0.5 with the grapnel launchers while Drill cannons are at 0.83. That's the best per point we have available (1.33 per round for 100 points), I think.

The fact that he looks different as a creature of destruction is what appeals to me. I play a mega heavy Sons list and he will be perfect for my larger games or the occasional swap out. I’m also interested to see how Gordrak will respond to being relegated to “second lieutenant” status. That’s going to be a hard pill for ol’ Gordrak to swallow. I guess the story will reveal how that plays out.

Edited by Scythian
Correction
  • Like 3

• Subscriber

I am very excited by both the model and the lore behind him. 

He will be added to my existing Ironjawz force to start with, then hopefully in the future he'll get an army of his own that fits with his aesthetic. 

Will be interesting to see how many people paint him green to match Orruk forces. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bolty said:

Seems cool, but he is doing exactly what Gordrak was doing (big destruction waagh) so it's weird. 

I hope our favorite orc has not been canned. 

I suspect he’s off doing something only to come back and find out the ‘new’ guy has taken over. Should be a nice story arc 

• Like 2

Destruction my favorite faction so excited to have this new option.  My first take (obviously need to see full war scroll and points) for my Destruction lists:

Troggoths a hammer for the Rockgut anvil?  Would replace the Mangler Squigs/Colossal Squig I’m currently using for more mobility.

Gutbusters replacement for the awkward Frostlord on Stonehorn I so often default back to when  trying to put non-BCR lists over the top

Bonesplitterz replacement for Rogue Idol

Sons swap out 3rd Mega to swap Kragnos in 

Harder to see swapping out the Frostlord in an actual BCR list or the Mawkrusha in an Ironjawz, at least until I see more details.  But when you start talking the price he’s going to be, four slots not a bad start…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hypno said:

Thought id make this topic for all us destruction lads to discuss the coming of Kragnos, his lore and lists (once he’s released) 

HYPE TRAIN THE MODEL LOOKS AWESOME.  I wonder if the Centigor CAD Hastings69 talked about in 8th ed, are being repurposed for Destruction.  

7 hours ago, wayniac said:

I'm a bit disappointed he doesn't have a new faction with him (although...) but he swayed me 100% to destruction now.  Not sure of what subfaction yet.

they where hinting at something when they where talking about his totem on the base, supposedly a mysterious force are putting his totem all around Ghur for reason

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novakai said:

they where hinting at something when they where talking about his totem on the base, supposedly a mysterious force are putting his totem all around Ghur for reason

Yeah.. probably the rumored "hobgoblins" which I really want to see what they could be.... 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I see Kragnos in a way a bit like Black Panther in Civil War, he's introduced as an isolated character, it's only later on when the Black Panther movie comes out that we see him in context and get a better picture of what he's about. 

You'd have thought GW has to have something big planned for his followers. As other people pointed out, it's like the Mortarchs previewing future OBR stuff, Fungoid shaman previewing future Gloomspite stuff, etc

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1

The model is stunning, the different aesthetic makes sense as he is a literal ancient demigod that Orruks and Ogors follow around for a good scrap, not a continuation of any of the existing races, something else that is currently alone. I was a bit worried they'd end up going with a Father of Beasts trope where he is tied to everything primal, instead it looks like he is a primal wrecking force that Destruction looks at as a good example to emulate/one up. Hopefully they do something with Gordrakk and Kragnos, either infighting or trying to outdo each other and leading great forces to try to one up the devastation.

Its going to be interesting painting him up so he matches my Orruks and Ogors though, that'll be fun. 

Ruleswise, short answer is dunno lol. With no points and melee profiles to look at all we can say is it could be amazing, could be ******. With 18 wounds and a 2+, he can tank a FLOSH with Brand of the Svard and Metalcruncher on the charge, so he can take a hit. If he is just a straight up ally then his warscroll has to offer more than a Mawkrusha/third Mega/FLOSH etc. If he has more buffs than +1 bravery we've got some combos, if he can benefit from faction buffs, keywords and alleigance abilities then that'll be awesome as it would open some weird build options, like imagine him with a warpaint save and ignoring ethereal and aftersaves in Bonesplitters, or benefitting from the moon if it bothers to show up.

If we get a Legion of Kragnos/different GA:Destruction which ties the armies together.

Whatever happens, i'll be getting the awesome model and bunging it into all my armies to see what sticks. Bring it on!

• Like 4

I put this in the rumor area but thought id add here also:

So I rewatched the videos from Monday and took some more notes:

1: The broken realms book was "to change the way the mortal realms work and are viewed forever" 

2: He is a demi god, not a god, and lord of all destruction. He has returned, but his people have gone. 

3: The free citie of "Excelsiss" is under siege from Kragnos. (its in Ghur) If its the same city was made after the realmgate wars, it holds the spear of Mallus which has a stone which allows visions of the future. 

4: Broken Realms Kragnos is the summery of the Broken Realms path

5: Kroak has a pivital role to play in the book (We know Kroak bound him to the mountain)

6: Forces of Life are in ascendancy and is sending forces against those attacking the realm of life

Says he used to go around smashing up the world, destroying empires. 

So my theory with Kragnos is that he has gone and invaded the free citie of Excelsiss to see his future. Using information he gains he leaves GHUR and heads to GHYRAN to the realm of life to resurect his people. Bringing back a race of hard ass destruction things would really impact the mortal realms. This is the reason he hasnt been released with a new faction, because it will give spoilers to him succeeding in Broken Realms: Kragnos  (think chaos varanguard sized beasts like him, a fast very hard hitting army to smash the shooting meta) 

Finally, Remember the video from a few months ago of Morathi:

"Kroak of Lustria, The truth is clear. That which we cannot kill, we must redirect" (Morathi-Khaine)

So Maybe Kroak & Morathi have a chat and realize they need Kragnos to succeed so they can be directed at Chaos (and the new twins) who they Kragnos can have good fight against

• Like 4

Funny that no one commented on the model's fur/skin so far. Actually, I am a bit disappointed of the model from a collector's point of view (I don't play Destruction (yet) but collect the big centerpiece models of all factions). A model of this size could have gotten a much richer detailed coat of fur apart from the obligatory hairs around the hooves that all horses have in Warhammer. As smooth surfaces that should actually be fur/hair are the most difficult to paint realistically, I would have been very happy with a bit of support here. I am not complaining because I am lazy but painted fur always looks a bit off, IMO.

@Velmates I see your point, but when I look at some other sculptors works a fully fledged fur tends to look noisy quite fast. Kragnos already has many details due to the discs and armor pieces attached to his body. This together with a fully fledged Fur would let the miniature look messy. GW's designs tend to prefer rather smooth clean aesthetics