The Top 3 factions?

AaronWilson

It does appear to be relatively balanced amongst the newer factions. It's also quite possible that we're still seeing a higher amount of the newer factions just because everyone wants to have the new hotness.

If I were to say top three factions not in order:

Beastclaw Raiders

Sylvaneth

Stormcast eternals

But it's hard to narrow down. Some builds that are super powerful are when using a few factions combined.

1 minute ago, Double Misfire said:

Swifthawk Agents

Troggoths

Ok, I'll bite.  I'm not a competitive player, so I guess I can't loose any street cred if this is a troll....  (See what id did there?)

Did I miss something here?  Aren't these two essentially three models each, and as of yet lacking any sort of special rules or synergies?

3 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Ok, I'll bite.  I'm not a competitive player, so I guess I can't loose any street cred if this is a troll....  (See what id did there?)

Did I miss something here?  Aren't these two essentially three models each, and as of yet lacking any sort of special rules or synergies?

They're the first two tiny non-factions made up of WFB models I could think of to accompany Khorne Bloodbound who are imo don't do anything particularly outstanding for a fully fleshed out faction, it was a very poor attempt at humour and I apologise.

@AaronWIlsonDo the "top three factions" you're asking for need to be played exclusively, because if not mini factions like Collegiate Arcane and Nighthaunt should be shortlisted for stuff like the Hurricanum and Mourngul alone.

Just now, Double Misfire said:

They're the first two tiny non-factions made up of WFB models I could think of to accompany Khorne Bloodbound who are imo don't do anything particularly outstanding for a fully fleshed out faction, it was a very poor attempt at humour and I apologise.

No problem at all.

I should have gone with my gut. ;)

But, as little as I get to play, I had no idea.

1 hour ago, Sadysaneto said:

Heres the thing about sigmar. You have raw power, and you have battleplans.

If you play "kill-kill" games, the strongest factions may steamroll the opponents.

When you play plans, even the strongest faction can loose, since it becomes mora a "learn the units role" thing.

Exactly, Beastclaw may beat face but doesn't exactly excel at holding objectives. 

Getting the impression Seraphon took a considerable hit w/ the GH, although that could change if/when we see their Allegiance Pack, and maybe I just haven't seen the extent of what's really possible w/ them in GH.

Yeah - losing cover save on Bastiladons is bad. Then again losing cover save on Treemen feels so wrong. Rippers were nerfed some more. Kroak and rule of one, but then he can stack Astrolith Bearers again.

On the other hand, Tomb Kings, Slaanesh, Beastmen were even more severely nerfed by the Rules of One.

Skaven would be top on paper, but I'd like to pretend we live in a world where no-one will bring Clan Skryre Formation to a tournament. If they do, they'll have so much time on their hands after tabling every opponent in 30 minutes, that they should go to the bar and buy all the losing players that round a drink. 

Beastclaw Raiders

Clan Skryre (when they don't backfire and kill themselves)

Seraphon

Worth mentioning: Ironjawz, High Elves, Free People (both Bretonnia & Freeguild)

Stormcast are good but they rely too much on Retributors. Besides Retributors and Extremis, the Stormcast are a lot of lackluster units that don't really do much. The army falls off in power once your opponent learns basic tactics like screening and tar pits, and SC lack the shooting power to punch through those walls before engaging in melee. It's fairly easy to play around deep strike mechanics. They do very well against melee-focused armies (Chaos & Destruction) but struggle against armies with good shooting backed by chaff screens (Order). 

Sylvaneth are disappointing so far. Their only worthwhile units are characters, but 5" move on tree lords is really simple to out-maneuver. Haven't played against Alarielle yet, though.

This is just from my own personal experience

From memory the top three places in tournaments in the UK this year have been very diverse. A lot of that success can be attributed to the skill of the players concerned - which is a very welcome factor. I don't think there is a top three faction as such. You could argue using something very left field (probably from the compendium) will fox most players. If you rocked up with Malekith I imagine most opponents wouldn't know how to deal with it. Does that make it a top faction?... I don't know

Archived