New dwarf army soon? Mixed dwarfs

Doko

What if duardin get the Kragnos treatment? Grombrindal could be a Kragnos-style model that can be souped into other duardin factions, and/or have his own army list that combines any duardin model, similar to Be'lakor's all-daemon list option. That way GW gets to satisfy all parties. There's also the fact that they're willing to give models different points depending on which army they're in (I believe it's Tzaangors that have different costs depending on if they're DoT or BoC, for example).

I honestly don't see why they'd fuse such radically different factions that they've done so much to separate in the lore. Mawtribes and Warclans made sense because the individual factions wanted the same thing and had the same goals, they just fought in slightly different ways. KO, Fyreslayers and Dispossessed have radically different worldviews and aesthetics. Just my two pence worth.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

The Gotrek model is fantastic. I just want some new Dwarves that look as cool as it.

We could get a whole new faction, reimagining the classic army, as the LRL did for the High Elves. But that would mean that there are 3 (possibly 4, with the evil cousins) duardin factions in the game. And that's madnees, that's Aelf levels of variety, and only them get the special treatment.

But most likely I see GW doing what they've done to the Orcs. Group them together, the new models being a subfaction and the others not getting much love.

Grombrindal serving as the 'face' of Grungni's unification efforts definitely seems to be happening. If they don't soup the Tomes then I could definitely see him as a Kragnos-esq figure who's in both the Fyreslayers and Kharadron Battletomes (and presumably "May be taken in a Cities of Sigmar army if every model has the <Duardin> keyword"). I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would love a Grombrindal model who's got enough parts to make a version that fits in every Dawi army and perhaps even mix-and-match enough to fit in anywhere.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, stratigo said:

I doubt dwarves are going to get a behemoth.

Maybe a mecha suit for grombrindel to ride, but I doubt it

It's been a while since a new army didn't get a behemoth.....it seems part of GW's formula for AoS armies

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aezeal said:

It's been a while since a new army didn't get a behemoth.....it seems part of GW's formula for AoS armies

Combo dwarves already have 3 distinct behemoths

Warclans didn't get a new one either when it was combined.

It depends on if the combo comes with a full release of other dwarves or not I suppose.

I'm betting Grungni building golems or unleashing gholemkin allies.

The new Steam and Steel supplement also has new Aether-powered Cogmunculi creatures in it and they have been on top of AoS news like an Anvilgard coup supplement a week before Broken Realms and their Bestiary showing Gravelords was updating Legions of Nagash into a vampire focus before the tome came out.

17 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I'm betting Grungni building golems or unleashing gholemkin allies.

The new Steam and Steel supplement also has new Aether-powered Cogmunculi creatures in it and they have been on top of AoS news like an Anvilgard coup supplement a week before Broken Realms and their Bestiary showing Gravelords was updating Legions of Nagash into a vampire focus before the tome came out.

TBH, golems are probably to main stream for GW to avoid 3th party models

On 6/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, Baron Klatz said:

Honestly I'm wondering if GW's getting ready to throw us a curveball. Despite the soup theories Kharadron in both the corebook and white dwarf aren't fans of Grungni and need to be tricked by him while certainly a very popular faction on their own so aren't that threatened by it.

Meanwhile Sylvaneth are more and more showing their love for the little lads be it in Soulbound or their new allies focus being only the Duardin for CoS.(hilarious to think how they'd rather take them over Wanderers whose aelfy throats they still want to throttle)

O5HjlCp.png

I'm wondering if we're due for a big surprise with Dispossessed being replaced with Clans of the Realms that are Fyreslayers + stuff like Grungni's new stuff (Gholemkin race of metal people) and other Duardin of the realms like the Rootkings & their Sylvaneth friends-

cropped-large-img_0427_2-bd7420c6f5b90b6

-while the Kharadron and their sky empires are just allies to the clans and lodges growing their empires in the forests, volcanoes and eldritch living mountains of the realms.

That way Fyreslayers get a huge revamp among other magical duardin above those of the mortal city kind(our fire-breathing ones, those that are full of life magic and ones made of metal replacing the old guys that can just turn into Kharadron as mortals+) for that Lumineth treatment as aelves made of light magic that all know magic and glow in the dark > mortal high aelves while Kharadron keep doing their own thing and occasionally get talked into helping their distant kin by Grungni's personas.

Just wanted to hop in and weigh in on all of this, since whatever comes of "New Duardin Stuff" basically determines what kind of force I could be slamming money down into. lol The quoted bit I'll get to in a second. 

I am still hopeful that "Duardin Soup" doesn't mean "Fyreslayer and KO become sub-factions and get nothing ever again." Not only is "Ever" a lofty and over-the-top statement because just because something doesn't get something in a year or two or more doesn't mean it will never come back. Yes, I know GW have squatted armies and wiped model lines, but they've also reinvigorated model lines that were known for their "Never get new models" memes, such as plastic Sisters, Genestealer Cults, Mechanicus, and items like the refresh Lumineth got. Now plastic Death Korps of Krieg have the internet ABLAZE. They KNOW that injecting some love DOES work on selling models.

The question is instead of a when. They can't release every model at once. Even outside of production, they have a storyline they are keeping to, space to let people build hype, time and space to focus on the new stuff, balancing out different model lines (Aelves have gotten a lot, yeah, but it HASN'T been aelves 24/7...)

But that is all whatever talk, why I have hope is that Duardin Soup doesn't HAVE to be "cram 3-4 factions into one tome." Cities has been a HUGE indicator of that. The 1 in 4 model is perfect for splashing in units that are closer than allies. They even did it recently with the Beasts of Chaos/Slaves to Darkness FAQs, adding them to Mono God lists in new ways. If we do get a completely new tome, I wouldn't be surprised to see KO, Fyrelsayers, and MAYBE Dispossesed in as 1 in 4. What does go into the new tome...?

Well, this quoted bit up here makes PERFECT sense to me. Sure, Grungni has talked about unification, but he is also hard at work on some project in Chamon. You don't have a GOD work on something to have it be nothing. Sigmar made the Stormcast, Morahi made the Scatheborn, Teclis had both Lumineth and Idoneth. Grungni will made a new race and amping up the Duardin connection to their homes makes perfect sense. 

Now, yes, this sounds JUST like Lumineth, bond with the elements and stand stronger, which would be doubtful for GW to repeat themes twice. (Bit of a shame, Lumineth's structure is PERFECT for Duardin, but hey....) But Dawi don't sit and commune with the land and find serenity in balance. They WORK and BUILD and CREATE! Grungni is the MAKER god. So instead of proving themselves to the elements and the land, they forge both the land and themselves. 

I think Grungni is making more than just Golems. I think he is also making a BLUEPRINT, a way to showcase how to truly THRIVE in the Mortal Realms. He took a page from Grimnir's children and using his tech, he crafted Ancestral Spirit Golems and potent devices, crafted not to be untouchable, but to be perfectly replicated. Bringing in Duardin reforged in resolve and spirit (renewed Dispossesed) alongside Duardin literally reforged in body. And that could be the Chamonic way, these golems and devices could be shifted to take on whatever realmstone and magic they can. Adapt and stand strong. 

The Root Kings of Ghyran, the Fyreslayers of Aqshy, the Rune Golems of Chamon, the Spectral powered statues of Shyish, the Gem Golems of Hysh, the Umbral golems of Ulgu. The Aelves have a perfect balance, the duardin dive deep into it all, go all in wholesale and take it up. 

It makes sense. Fyreslayers aren't a dead faction, they are the first step. Each realm can have bolstered forces tuned to their Realms, Duardin and their ancestor golems side by side in a multitude of ways. GW experiments with what worked, expand on what they have, and work with their rather large setting. We get an expansion of Duardin and they get to help a few factions that lost their way. And everyone doesn't lose a thing. 

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:37 AM, Baron Klatz said:

The new Steam and Steel supplement also has new Aether-powered Cogmunculi creatures in it

But remember that Cogmunculus are not new, we (KOs) already had them since 2.0 book:

Cogmunculus.jpg.34cddae0a5e202fc71c307d7e04f64a2.jpg

Btw, If we are talking about "possible" new units, count me in!

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Like 2

So I've just finished the latest Gotrek Novel (Gitslayer)

Spoiler

At the end it seems like Gotrek and the Solmanson Company (From Barak Urbaz) are planning on retaking dwarven Holds in a huge campaign. This might foreshadow the return of the Dawi

Edited by JackStreicher
  • LOVE IT! 1

22 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

So I've just finished the latest Gotrek Novel (Gitslayer)

Hide contents

At the end it seems like Gotrek and the Solmanson Company (From Barak Urbaz) are planning on retaking dwarven Holds in a huge campaign. This might foreshadow the return of the Dawi

Sounds good!

Spoiler

I take it they will be having help as a single company couldn't retake. a hold? The book sounds interesting!

• 1 year later...

So after I was read Grombrindal novel and all short stories I have decide to speculate about Dispossessed rework

allegiance ability

Ancestral gruge

After the deployment choose one the categories 

Enemy units within 6" from objective

Enemy units that can fly

Enemy monsters and heroes

All models in your army can reroll 1s tohit and 1s towound against this categories

Runes of magic

Each unit have runes of magic. Once per phase any unit that is within Runic empowering range or within 6" of any priest unit can overcharge it's rune. After being overcharged rune is inactive until the end of the battle.

Edited by cofaxest

Units (infantry)

Ironbreakers

1w/3+save/4"move/7 bravery

2 attacks 1"/3+/4+/-1/1

1 bomb for each 10 models - on 2+ deal d3 mw

Gromril armour - lower rend by 1

Musician - add 1 to charge and run rolls

Standard bearer - add 1 to bravery

Rune of resistence on 5+ (on 4+ if rune is overcharged) ignore magic and ES effects. 

Irondakes

1w/4+save/4"move/7 bravery

2 attacks 12"/3+/3+/-1/1

-1 tohit if moves

Gromril armour

Rune of range - add 6"(12" if overcharged) to missile weapon range 

Hammerers

2 attacks 1"/3+/3+/-1/1

Kings guard - on 3+ can take wounds from general

Rune of shattering - 1mw on 6+ (5+ if overcharged) tohit on top of regular dmg

Longbeards

2 attacks 3+/4+/-1/1

Or

2 attacks 4+/3+/-1/1

Old grumblers - in your hero phase can choose one grumble

- units within 12" ignore battleshock

- units within 12" add 1 towound rolls

- unit of longbeards can unbind and dispell

Ancestor's shield - reroll 1s on saves.

Rune of stoicism - 6+(5+ if overcharged) ward save

Edited by cofaxest
  • LOVE IT! 1

Units (warmachine)

Cannon

8w/4+save/4"move/7 bravery

2 attacks 30"/4+/2+/-2/3+d3

Or 

10  attacks 12"/3+/3+/-1/2

Rune of forging - improve rend by 1(if overcharged cannonball shot have dmg 6, shrapnel shot have dmg 3)

Organgun

18 attacks 24"/4+/3+/-1/1

Rune of accuracy - each 6+ (5+ if overcharged) tohit deal mw equal to the dmg 

Terrain

Runeforge

Runic empowering

Friendly units within 12" (add 6" for each runepriest or cogsmith) once per phase can overcharge it's rune.

Runic overload

Each time when friendly unit overcharging it's rune within Runic empowering range place a counter over forge.

One per game Runeforge can be overloaded dealing dmg to all enemy model within Runic empowering range equal to number of counters. After that runeforge is inactive.

Edited by cofaxest

Heroes

Warden king

6w/3+save/4"move/8 bravery

4 attacks 1"/3+/3+/-1/d3

Oath stone - units within 18" use his bravery

Command ability - the same

Rune of command - give 1 cp each hero phase. If overcharged can issue 2 commands to different units for 1 cp. 

Runepriest

5w/4+save/4"move/7 bravery

Attacks are the same

Runelore

Improve rend by 1

or

Restore rune after overcharging

or

Unit can shoot or charge after run

Rune of Spellbreaking

Give +2 to unbind and dispell. Overcharged auto unbind/dispell.

Cogsmith

Pistols

2 attacks 8"/4+/3+/-1/1

Rifle 

2 attacks 18"/4+/3+/-1/1

Axe

4 attacks 1"/4+/3+/-1/1

Master engineer

War machines within 6" counts being in cover

Rune of repair 

Heal 1w each hero phase to all war machines in 6". Overcharged rune heal d3w within 12". 

Edited by cofaxest

Some ideas for dual faction units

Firecannon (Dispossessed/Fyreslayers)

3d6 attacks 18"/autohit/3+/-1/1

Rune of fire 

Can reroll number of attacks. Overcharged rune give 18 attacks.

Magmamortar (Dispossessed/Fyreslayers)

3 attacks 30"/3+/3+/-2/d3

Can attack without LoS with -1tohit

Rune of fury

Can reroll dmg. Overcharged rune give dmg 3

Endrinfighter (KO and dispossessed)

5w/4+save/12"move/7 bravery

2 aether volleyguns

12 attacks 18"/4+/4+/-1/1

and

2 attacks 24"/4+/3+/-1/d3

Rotor blades

D6 attacks 1"/4+/3+/-1/1

Grudgebuster aetherbombs

At the start of combat phase roll a dice. On 4+(+1 to roll for each model) choose one of the following

Deal d3mw

Can't pile-in

Can't receive commands

Flyhigh, disengage.

Unit gave 3" coherensy

Rune of agility

-1 tohit from shooting. Overcharged gives -1tohit from all attacks.

Flamehauler (KO and FS)

5w/4+save/12"move/7 bravery

Grimnir's breath(range)

2d6 attacks 12"/autohit/4+/-1/1

Grimnir's breath(melee)

2d6 attacks 1"/autohit/-1/1

Flyhigh, disengage

Glory in death

For each model killed choose enemy unit within 1" from the unit and roll a dice. On 2+ deal d3 mw. 

Unit have 3" coherensy

Valykraz maidens(KO and dispossessed)

2w/3+save/10"move/7 bravery

2 attacks(3 on serg) 1"/3+/3+/-1/d3

Fly, hitched

Maiden shield

Friendly units within 3" counts as being in cover

Rune of protection

Save roll of 6 from melee attacks deal mw. Overcharged rune deal mw on 5 and 6.

Sky sisters (KO, FS)

2w/4+save/12"move/7 bravery

Flamepike

D3 attacks 12"/autohit/4+/-1/1

D3 attacks 1"/3+/3+/-1/1

Fly, hitched

Blazing fury

3 attacks on the charge

Logisticator (dispossessed, KO)

2 attacks 1"/4+/4+/-/1

Can take up to two units with him during deployment and set them up at the end of movement phase

Rune of farsight

If enemy unit was set up within 12" from logisticator you can choose 1 unit to shoot at it. If rune is overcharged you can pick 2 units. 

Flamequeen (FS, disposessed)

8w/4+/4"move/8 bravery

3 attacks 2"/3+/3+/-1/d3

4 attacks 1"/3+/3+/-1/1

Priest

Can make 1 unbinds and/or dispells with +2 or 2 unbinds and/or dispells without bonuses

Can chant 2 times

Reroll chanting roll for runic iron

Knows 2 prayers from the lore

Prey of unity

Flamequeen can issue command to all units within 12". 

Rune of blessing 

Add +1 to all chanting rolls. If overcharged next chanting roll auto succeeds.

Edited by cofaxest

• 3 months later...

From all the lore ive read there is something happening. In Soulbound Era of the Beast its said that Grungi talks about how he abandonded the dwarves and couldnt be the one to lead them then hints at Grombrindal leading the new dwarven faction. 

So Im guessing its gonna be the lumineth realm lords but for duradin. Where the lumineth were a reimagining of classic fantasy high elves. We will see a reimagining of classic Fantasy Dwarves. The twist could be anything though, because I dont think anyone predicted that the high elves would ever be spiritual monks that sought enlightenment from giant spiritual cow mountains. 

Possible twists on classic dwarves: 

1. focus on runes
  2. focus on mining
  3. Focus on building strong defenses
  4. focus on something entirely new

If the votann from 40k are indication I could see the new dwarven faction playing similar to Maggotkin of nurgle. Slow and hard hitting but with grudges to settle. 

Sidenote: It would be really cool if we got an avatar of Grungi like how Gotrek is an Avatar of Grimnir. A Kharadron Overlord/ Dwarven blacksmith/ tinkerer would be such a great character for Aos. Also would be rad if she was a lady dwarf because the setting has like zero of them in model form lol. 

Edited by clamo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clamo said:

From all the lore ive read there is something happening. In Soulbound Era of the Beast its said that Grungi talks about how he abandonded the dwarves and couldnt be the one to lead them then hints at Grombrindal leading the new dwarven faction. 

So Im guessing its gonna be the lumineth realm lords but for duradin. Where the lumineth were a reimagining of classic fantasy high elves. We will see a reimagining of classic Fantasy Dwarves. The twist could be anything though, because I dont think anyone predicted that the high elves would ever be spiritual monks that sought enlightenment from giant spiritual cow mountains. 

Possible twists on classic dwarves: 

1. focus on runes
  2. focus on mining
  3. Focus on building strong defenses
  4. focus on something entirely new

If the votann from 40k are indication I could see the new dwarven faction playing similar to Maggotkin of nurgle. Slow and hard hitting but with grudges to settle. 

Sidenote: It would be really cool if we got an avatar of Grungi like how Gotrek is an Avatar of Grimnir. A Kharadron Overlord/ Dwarven blacksmith/ tinkerer would be such a great character for Aos. Also would be rad if she was a lady dwarf because the setting has like zero of them in model form lol. 

As long as it produces more sculpts, and of better diversity than Fyreslayers, I'm tempted.

Also no gods in Kharadron.

Or Fifth option

5. focus on Realms

Grungni and the Khazalid empire had mastered Realm-craft which allowed them to create their own sub-dimensions in the cosmos.

Realm-craft is a duardin technique to conjure sub-realms. Through realm-craft, the Duardin are able to access and amend the clockwork of the Cosmos Arcane to their own desires. The sub-realms thus created are places where rare gems and materials ran like water.”

Realm-craft was developed during the Age of Mythby the Khazalid Empire. With it, the duardin created countless sub-realms expanding even beyond the eight Mortal Realms.

The skill of the Duardin is all that it once was and in many cases furthered by privation and need. Only the means and the materials at their disposal were diminished by the fall of the Khazalid Empire in the Age of Chaos.”

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Realm-craft

So could be an 4th Duardin faction of Forge masters that have some callbacks to Tolkien dwarves(though likely employ pole-arms and probably crazier weapons like anvil-mauls) but otherwise have links to other dimensions as god-taught smiths like floating anvils they ride on with tethers going through traveling portals, interdimensional creatures(there’s already Skaven naked moles and the adorable Mustori that live between realities) they tame with runes, sentient storms they fly on, stars made into forges and the like.

Basically the opposite of Skaven who burrow dangerously through reality eating away at it the Grungni-made/Duardincasts create strong tunnels through dimensions and craft otherworldly wonders or whole new realities as a force of Order and structure.

Edited by Baron Klatz