Order Allegiance Abilities - any neat tricks? how do you use them?

Double Misfire

Hi guys,

Now that the General's Handbook has been out for a couple of months I'm curious to see how the generic allegiance abilities for Order armies (Sylvaneth go home) have affected your playstyles and unit selection, and if you've picked up any particularly spicy combos.

Defiant Avengers allowing units to reroll battleshock tests combos really nicely with the two Dispossessed formations that allow units in them to ignore casualties from battleshock if the result is 1-3, and means my duardin have to worry about battleshock even less.

As far as command traits go I never leave home without Reckless, as I'm terrible at rolling charges anyway, and it now makes slingshotting very slow m4" duardin units across the battlefield with longbomb charges an (almost) legitimate tactic, and makes making 9" charges with Bugman and his Rangers on the turn they deploy more of a legitimate threat than fortunate fluke.

Artefacts wise I've got a horrible combo involving an Unforged with a Relic Blade, but generally love taking a couple of Quicksilver potions on Dwarf Lords to really bring the pain to anyone who thinks they've got the drop on me with a charge.

What are your favourite Order artefacts and command traits, and how do you like to use them? :)

As far as command traits go I never leave home without Reckless, as I'm terrible at rolling charges anyway, and it now makes slingshotting very slow m4" duardin units across the battlefield with longbomb charges an (almost) legitimate tactic, and makes making 9" charges with Bugman and his Rangers on the turn they deploy more of a legitimate threat than fortunate fluke.

Yeah - not taking Reckless was a massive mistake in my game yesterday. The other five are dreadful.

Order have by some margin the worst battle trait, command traits and artefacts of the four Grand Alliances. Maybe this is a reflection of the superiority of their GA (most units by a long way and certainly some of the best units and best combos).

Quicksilver Potion on a Stardrake or Magmadroth would be decent. 

I'm currently running Relic Blade on my Celestant Prime to bring him up 4 damage. My Lord Celestant on Dracoth is using Reckless (As stated above, seems the most useful) and as I have the Thunderhood Brotherhood Batallion he is rocking a Obstinate Blade, to make his D3 damage hammer -2 rend.

12 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

I'm currently running Relic Blade on my Celestant Prime to bring him up 4 damage. My Lord Celestant on Dracoth is using Reckless (As stated above, seems the most useful) and as I have the Thunderhood Brotherhood Batallion he is rocking a Obstinate Blade, to make his D3 damage hammer -2 rend.

The Celestant Prime is a unique character is he not? I don't think he's allowed an artifact.

I'm personally struggling with Order's abilities. As my army is usually immune to battleshock or already rerolls battleshock tests, the battle trait doesn't come into play. Reckless is the best Command Trait by far it seems. Increasing rend with the Obstinate Blade artifact is what I typically do.

8 minutes ago, David Griffin said:

The Celestant Prime is a unique character is he not? I don't think he's allowed an artifact.

I'm personally struggling with Order's abilities. As my army is usually immune to battleshock or already rerolls battleshock tests, the battle trait doesn't come into play. Reckless is the best Command Trait by far it seems. Increasing rend with the Obstinate Blade artifact is what I typically do.

He's not unique on Warscroll Builder, unless that entry is wrong.

2 minutes ago, AaronWIlson said:

He's not unique on Warscroll Builder, unless that entry is wrong.

I don't have my handbook in front of me (at work. lame), but I thought it said you can only take one of him, which I figured meant he was unique. If not, I would be more than happy to throw an artifact his way as well!

1 minute ago, David Griffin said:

I don't have my handbook in front of me (at work. lame), but I thought it said you can only take one of him, which I figured meant he was unique. If not, I would be more than happy to throw an artifact his way as well!

It does say it in his entry indeed, Warscroll Builder must be wrong!

35 minutes ago, David Griffin said:

Having played vs a multi-buffed Celestant on Dracoth with the Obstinate Blade, I can confirm he's a right pain in the ***.

• 3 weeks later...

Using Hoarfrost and word of pain on the same enemy biggie can cripple its attacks pretty well.  If you had a grey battlemage to cast mystifying miasma on it as well, that would be -3 to hit! Follow that with bladewind and you get some good mortal wounds. 

On 02/09/2016 at 0:29 AM, SentinelGuy said:

The state troop detachment battalion with the order allegiance ability makes your troops practically unbreakable so the enemy has to kill them all.

Rerolling battleshock is also great with the two Dispossessed battalions that let units ignore battleshock on a 1-3. Not quite a 5+ ward, but a massively underrated ability when combined with the right rules.

Archived