Help for a thechnically illiterate Luddite.

Aelfric

Hi.  Since the site update, I am being taken to page one on every thread I go to, no matter how many times I go to any particular one.  Before, it would take me to the last entry I had read.  Can anyone give me (simple) instructions on how to fix this.  I'm sure it's something I have done as the change took me by surprise and I probably clicked something I shouldn't have done.  

Thanks.

17 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Hi.  Since the site update, I am being taken to page one on every thread I go to, no matter how many times I go to any particular one.  Before, it would take me to the last entry I had read.  Can anyone give me (simple) instructions on how to fix this.  I'm sure it's something I have done as the change took me by surprise and I probably clicked something I shouldn't have done.  

Thanks.

I think if you press the blue circle next to the unread thread, it will take you to the first unread post :)

• Thanks 1

Fit'like? Still having issues?

Your settings have probably reset to the default. To change your preference (if you haven't done so already):

1) You'll see your name in the top right corner of the TGA banner, top of the screen. Click on your name and this will give you a drop down menu. Select Account Settings

2) On this page, you'll see the Overview Menu on the left hand side of the screen. Select Content View Behaviour from the menu

3) This should give you 3 options

- Take me to the comments I haven't read

- Take me to the beginning

- Take me to the latest comment

Select your preference then Save. Hopefully this should be you sorted. Sounds like the first option was what used to happen before the update?

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, MitGas said:

Site works fine for me - maybe you need to refresh the page manually and/or clear the cache as you got some temp files in your browser? Which browser do you use?

I have no idea what a cache is or where to find it, I'm afraid, and I have no idea what browser I have - yes I am that ignorant :). When my child returns from uni, I'll ask them for another crash course.  I have managed to get it to take me to the last post each time, so that's a bit of improvement.

1 hour ago, Futa Manticore said:

Fit'like? Still having issues?

Your settings have probably reset to the default. To change your preference (if you haven't done so already):

1) You'll see your name in the top right corner of the TGA banner, top of the screen. Click on your name and this will give you a drop down menu. Select Account Settings

2) On this page, you'll see the Overview Menu on the left hand side of the screen. Select Content View Behaviour from the menu

3) This should give you 3 options

- Take me to the comments I haven't read

- Take me to the beginning

- Take me to the latest comment

Select your preference then Save. Hopefully this should be you sorted. Sounds like the first option was what used to happen before the update?

Thank you for the your breakdown, It has been very clear and helpful.  I saved it to "comments I haven't read", but it kept taking me to page 1 anyway.  So I changed to "take me to last comment" and that works.  I have a tick next to "mark site read" and I'm wondering whether that is the problem, but I have no idea how to undo it if it is.  If this is the issue, any help in undoing that would be greatly appreciated!  Otherwise, I can live with what I have :) . Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I have no idea what a cache is or where to find it, I'm afraid, and I have no idea what browser I have - yes I am that ignorant :). When my child returns from uni, I'll ask them for another crash course.  I have managed to get it to take me to the last post each time, so that's a bit of improvement.

The browser is the software you use to go online - e.g. Internet Explorer (Microsoft Edge), Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. Depending on which you use, it's different how to clear the cache (your pc/device saves parts of websites you often visit, sometimes even part of their code - which could in theory mean that it stored part of the faulty code before the update was complete, hence it might help to refresh said cache). Look at the icon you click to go online - or do you only use your smartphone?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MitGas said:

The browser is the software you use to go online - e.g. Internet Explorer (Microsoft Edge), Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. Depending on which you use, it's different how to clear the cache (your pc/device saves parts of websites you often visit, sometimes even part of their code - which could in theory mean that it stored part of the faulty code before the update was complete, hence it might help to refresh said cache). Look at the icon you click to go online - or do you only use your smartphone?

Thanks, that makes it clearer - I use Google Chrome.  I've only had a smartphone for a couple of months (after years of resistance), though gradually getting used to it.  I'll have a look into how to refresh.  The main thing is I still have access to this site, so any inconveniences are minor issues.  Thanks for the breakdown.  Every time I think I'm getting the hang of it, it all changes again, but that's modern life for you. :) (I really must learn how to do more emojis)

It's pretty easy: In the browser window, there are three dots at the right side (below the button where you clsoe the window).  Click on it and open settings - then select "delete browser files" (might be called something similar to it) and in there select the cache only. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 8:41 PM, CommissarRotke said:

so i clicked on the "dark mode" while trying to choose a new theme... not only is the site still in light mode but i no longer have the customization or dark mode option? how do i get back to these :(

Scroll to bottom of page and there will be a drop down box for theme. Select the TGA theme. 

• 3 weeks later...

So for the first unread post issue.  Clicking the blue button works... if you are in the forums.  But on the site home page the 'popular now' and 'recent topics' listings dont have buttons, so click those and you go to the first page of those threads, logged in or not. That is generally how i used to navigate the site and i thought it used to still take you to first unread, now it does not, but ive not been on TGA hardly at all over lockdown so well behind the curve on what changes have happened here so sorry if this is a known thing. Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, stato said:

So for the first unread post issue.  Clicking the blue button works... if you are in the forums.  But on the site home page the 'popular now' and 'recent topics' listings dont have buttons, so click those and you go to the first page of those threads, logged in or not. That is generally how i used to navigate the site and i thought it used to still take you to first unread, now it does not, but ive not been on TGA hardly at all over lockdown so well behind the curve on what changes have happened here so sorry if this is a known thing. Thanks. 

I suspect it’s possibly because the main welcome page and the forums aren’t linked up quite right. It’s on for @Ben to have a look at when he has chance but a work around is to do it from your account management controls. Select Activity and the unread content.

D0926DEC-4B0B-47DD-8D9A-0F56EA868C25.jpeg.d38e03f1b0ab376ca29ddb1f4c3c60d3.jpeg

D0926DEC-4B0B-47DD-8D9A-0F56EA868C25.jpeg.d38e03f1b0ab376ca29ddb1f4c3c60d3.jpeg

Hope that helps.

3F6B6B3C-7A90-4ED7-BCCF-1A961761485E.jpeg