The Ladies in the AoS Novels and Models

ZephyrExia

Hello,

I have been reading through the AoS novels lately, and I must say, they are very good. The characters portrayed the the novels are well-written, especially the female characters (of particular note Celemnis, Sharizard, and Alzheer), and in my opinion are more interesting than the Stormcast Eternal characters (who are also very well written).

The fact that the tribal human hunting parties consist of both genders makes me wish for more female models to intertwine the novels more heavily with the game (eg A fur garbed human hunting party). What I hope GW will do is craft more female models, of varying armor types. I would love to see a kit with tribal humans in animal pelts, or plate mail.

Presently the female models that exist fit in well with their faction lore (Dark Aelves, Flamboyant Vampires, Practical Wanderer Aelves, Valkia sculpted by Khorne), but I would like to see less armor bikini and boob plated models, and more models akin to GoT character Brienne of Tarth - women in non-sexualized, feasable armor.

I apologise for this ramble, but I would like to hear other people's thoughts on the novel characters and potential for models.

1 minute ago, Wailslake said:

I wouldn't be suprised to see female Stormcast arriving eventually, it makes sense background wise and would help the setting stand out from other fantasy worlds.

I'd like female champions of Chaos as well, especially for Nurgle and Tzeentch.

Also I noticed there's no female battleline! (except maybe Glade Guard?), which means you can't really do an all-female matched play army unless it's all DoK or Wanderers. GW are finally improving their diversity, hopeful for the future.

8 minutes ago, Iain said:

Also I noticed there's no female battleline! (except maybe Glade Guard?), which means you can't really do an all-female matched play army unless it's all DoK or Wanderers. GW are finally improving their diversity, hopeful for the future.

Daughters of Khaine can be all-female with Witch Aelves. Their only male units are the Doomfire Warlocks, which can easily be converted (for example using Mantic Succubi).

As a collector of Free Peoples, I cannot wait for them to do a proper AoS human faction (although I will be sad when the old Empire range is phased out). I really hope for a good mix of male and female characters to have in the army too although I am not too worried about how they will be portrayed as GW doesn't really do full on cheesecake but usually hits the balance just right.

Yeah I think it's pretty bad that there are not female models in most factions. Like why arnt there stormcast and khorne at the very least mixed in the battleline? Im very much not a SJW, but it's just losing players and making gw and kind of us also, pretty out of date with the times.

Also, even more Heroes. There are barely any female Heroes in Silver Tower for my friends to play.

49 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Not really. It's got a man's chest in the armour.

GW said they wear the same armor, the armor is meant to be designed in sigmar's visaged not the gender of the person wearing it. Fluff wise Stormcast are male and female. We just haven't seen any females "yet". 

29 minutes ago, shinros said:

GW said they wear the same armor, the armor is meant to be designed in sigmar's visaged not the gender of the person wearing it. Fluff wise Stormcast are male and female. We just haven't seen any females "yet". 

Sure, I'd heard that. It's just pretty token and not enough though.

6 hours ago, Riavan said:

Not really. It's got a man's chest in the armour.

So boob armour all the way then ?

Stromcast are supposed to be reforged in Sigmar's image why the hell would they forge lady parts* on the armour. The background  states that there's female Stormcasts so job done, female Stormcast models already exist. It's a bit like the female Stormtroopers in the new Star Wars they look exactly the same in armour. 

* edited because of a rather zealous profanity filter

they did miss a massive trick by not having female Bloodreavers though they could have done something a bit different there. 

16 hours ago, Iain said:

All of the death battle line *could* be female or male... or something else

6 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

So boob armour all the way then ?

Stromcast are supposed to be reforged in Sigmar's image why the hell would they forge lady parts* on the armour. The background  states that there's female Stormcasts so job done, female Stormcast models already exist. It's a bit like the female Stormtroopers in the new Star Wars they look exactly the same in armour.

There's the "Boob Armor directs a shot arrow into the heart" argument. I would bet Sigmar knows about that flaw.

Also we just got our first model of african complexion that wasn't an Egyptian skeleton. Note you could always have painted them that way but whatever.

No, the real reason GW doesn't have too many female alt-models probably has more to do with marketing and minimizing the amount of extra bits included in a box. One of the worst things you could ever do as a model company is to have your 10 model kit provide enough spare parts to build 20 models; You cut your profit margin in half. The Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn have to share the steed, legs, and the back half of the head.

1 hour ago, SuperHappyTime said:

There's the "Boob Armor directs a shot arrow into the heart" argument. I would bet Sigmar knows about that flaw.

Also we just got our first model of african complexion that wasn't an Egyptian skeleton. Note you could always have painted them that way but whatever.

No, the real reason GW doesn't have too many female alt-models probably has more to do with marketing and minimizing the amount of extra bits included in a box. One of the worst things you could ever do as a model company is to have your 10 model kit provide enough spare parts to build 20 models; You cut your profit margin in half. The Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn have to share the steed, legs, and the back half of the head.

This.  Especially the first line. 

I can't think of a single real world instance of women having boob armor, when the armor is intended to be practical.  For show, sure, but practical? 

Now, that said, most of the armor in GW games is pretty far from practical, so this argument that I'm clinging to here, really won't hold a full cup of water and I know it. 

So I'll just lay out my real motivations.  I'd love to see more female mini's, but I really find over-sexualized minis annoying.  Not because I don't like pretty women.  But because I've never looked at one of those models and thought it came anywhere close to being a worthy work of art.  They always come off like some teenage boy's wet dream.  Of course, the male characters, are already sort of an little boy empowerment fantasy. I admit it, and even love them for that, but I feel like what we don't need more of is continued objectification of women, in or out of our hobby.  Then there are also my concerns about how/when I am able to begin sharing this hobby with my children, and I have no intention of teaching my son or daughter that the objectification of women is ok.

Of course, all my opinion, and at the end of the day, you can all buy the models you want, and I'll buy the ones I want.  I'd just prefer GW stay out of that part of the hobby.

9 hours ago, Justinian said:

The conspiracy theory is that they killed Slaanesh because there were too many overly sexualised female models in that range. 

Doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me, maybe just more like good business sense, and wanting to expand into other possible demographics.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people who want 'adult' themed models.  I just don't want them, for all reasons I mentioned, and would prefer GW specifically take a more 'family' approach to their product offering...  Well, not toooooo family....  I don't want a horde of Oruuks running around giving out hugs, and telling everyone that love can solve their problems....

So what I'm saying is, i'm totally ok with the violence, just not ta-ta's....  

Ok, now I feel weird.  Should have shut up like three lines ago, or maybe one post ago. 

:S

Archived