Broken Realms: Be'lakor - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

novakai

8 hours ago, xking said:

When a Stormcast Eternal dies, their body transmutes into lightning and shoots up back to the realm of heavens. But Belakor has created a chaos storm that is blocking the lightning.  If a stormcast  Eternal  wants to go back to Azyr without dying,  they have to do it the same way as everyone else. 

7 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Unless this book has a retcon, they don't. Their souls are transmuted to Azyrite energy and they travel through the void to get back to Azyr.

Aaaand someone already answered this. Whoops.

Thanks Guys, I just reread the summary.  

In the same way I thought it was all the realmgates he'd destroyed, not just the Chamon realmgates.

Can't wait for the book to land so I can fill my eyeballs with it - I actually love me a good spoiler to fire my enthusiasm up.

1 hour ago, silverstu said:

Me too- I'm a collector rather than a gamer- I love the Kharadrons, they are such a cool faction- they would be epic if they got expanded. Bugmansson was excellent and they do seem to be very prominent in the AoS universe so I'm hopeful.

As long as it means more dwarfs I'm happy! 

Yeah, I love Kharadron but there is definitely space for a Hold based AoS dwarf faction, away for the Sigmar cities. They've gotten really good at sculpting dwarfs I'd love to see what they come up with for a fresh take on classic dwarfs. 

Aye.  I think it's safe to say that anything that arrived in the final dwarf wave of 8th ed - irondrakes etc was all geared towards the new aesthetic of AoS.  dwarfs riding armoured bears and golems would be great.  Or if you really wanted to annoy skeletor how about units of ghostly dwarfs who were actually ancestor memories made manifest (ee lad, there's a dwarven endless spell sorry, Rune of the Spectral Ancestors right there! - hence not really dead, not really with a soul.. and therefore not really anything to do with skeletor or floating bedsheet woman.

16 hours ago, Cataphract said:

Hold on. Waaaaay back in the first year of AOS. In the Search For Ghal Maraz didnt the Celestial Vindicators capture a Realmgate that could go anywhere in the Realms? 

Yeah, the Silverway.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Silverway

It's also notable for being created by Chamon Duardin. So the Realm of Metal can eventually reconnect even without godly or Seraphon intervention.

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

From what I have heard, Sigmarite Brotherhood as a stormhost is destroyed 

The brightside is their souls were taken by Nighthaunt instead of something like daemons tearing them apart. So that leaves an open plot-hook for any remaining Brotherhood Stormcasts or other Stormhosts to crusade to Shyish and reclaim the souls for reforging(if not something more shadowy like bargaining with Soulblight for them).

Similar hope for the souls blocked from Azyr during the final battle. Stormcast souls are basically living lightning so if not forcibly captured they're gonna keep looking for a place to go. With Order winning the battle that means they're probably being stored in Stormkeeps similar to aelven soul storage strategies.

A cool twist that could happen is if Kharadron step in to store their lightning souls. Could get Chamon mecha Stormcasts acting as bodies in the trapped metal realm until they find a way back.

pFty_yfyqs7dDFZdue7rzmYn30FRpCIiedlEZWzj

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Yeah, the Silverway.

https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Silverway

It's also notable for being created by Chamon Duardin. So the Realm of Metal can eventually reconnect even without godly or Seraphon intervention.

The brightside is their souls were taken by Nighthaunt instead of something like daemons tearing them apart. So that leaves an open plot-hook for any remaining Brotherhood Stormcasts or other Stormhosts to crusade to Shyish and reclaim the souls for reforging(if not something more shadowy like bargaining with Soulblight for them).

Similar hope for the souls blocked from Azyr during the final battle. Stormcast souls are basically living lightning so if not forcibly captured they're gonna keep looking for a place to go. With Order winning the battle that means they're probably being stored in Stormkeeps similar to aelven soul storage strategies.

A cool twist that could happen is if Kharadron step in to store their lightning souls. Could get Chamon mecha Stormcasts acting as bodies in the trapped metal realm until they find a way back.

pFty_yfyqs7dDFZdue7rzmYn30FRpCIiedlEZWzj

That's fan art baron, Make sure you don't  spread any misinformation. 

• Thanks 2

Overall the story sounds promising. But I'd need to read the book, because just based on the summary there are points I find questionable:

- If destroying a Silver Tower is so damn useful to advance Chaos goals, why Tzeench hasn't done it before? Be´lakor can'¡t know better that the changer of ways how his damned towers work.

- Again, if destroying a Silver Tower is so damn useful to advance Chaos goals, why would Kroak do it? As per the review: " Kroak understands the potential side effect of one being destroyed, but does not want to miss the opportunity to end one of the enemy’s most powerful tools". 
  Well, seems like destroying one tower has more drawbacks than benefits for the  Order Alliance, and by proxy -we can assume- to the grand plan. Doesn't seem like a sensible move coming from such wise being as Kroak.

Again, this is probably explained properly in the book, I'm not  screaming BAD WRITTING!!!111 here, but those are the things that strike as odd reading the summary.

PD: I'm in the Grombindal boat.

Edited by Jator

1 hour ago, Jator said:

Overall the story sounds promising. But I'd need to read the book, because just based on the summary there are points I find questionable:

- If destroying a Silver Tower is so damn useful to advance Chaos goals, why Tzeench hasn't done it before? Be´lakor can'¡t know better that the changer of ways how his damned towers work.

- Again, if destroying a Silver Tower is so damn useful to advance Chaos goals, why would Kroak do it? As per the review: " Kroak understands the potential side effect of one being destroyed, but does not want to miss the opportunity to end one of the enemy’s most powerful tools". 
  Well, seems like destroying one tower has more drawbacks than benefits for the  Order Alliance, and by proxy -we can assume- to the grand plan. Doesn't seem like a sensible move coming from such wise being as Kroak.

You just don't understand Tzeentch's ways. Or Kroak's. Trust in their wisdom.

Also, something being good for Belakor does not mean it is good for Tzeentch. Chaos beings are not known for rational cooperation.

1 hour ago, Jator said:

Again, this is probably explained properly in the book, I'm not  screaming BAD WRITTING!!!111 here, but those are the things that strike as odd reading the summary.

could be maximizing future gains for short term losses. The destruction causes a lot of damage, but a silver tower causes problems as long as it stands.

I agree on the Silver Tower destruction seeming less impactful than the Realmgate disruption. I'm hoping we'll see repercussions to Tzeentch's forces in future supplements and the next book, stuff like they can't take advantage of the chaos storms without the tower's mobility & fire power and so begin rapidly losing ground in the Aether War and against rival chaos factions in Chamon.

A "won the battle but lost the war" situation Belakor forces Tzeentch into as he dearly prizes the Realm of Metal and even back during "The Quest for Ghal Maraz" had tried to pull the entire realm into his chaos domain. Leading to ramifications of Tzeentch really pushing Archaon to take control of Belakor.

As for Kroak he probably just shrugged and concluded it wouldn't affect the astromatrix and he'd eventually replace and fix all those realmgates. That it could take centuries as he takes his sweet time wasn't his problem. xD 

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

But the destruction of the Silver Towers just add disturbances to the gate network / to the Astromatrix already under pressure from the Necroquake and Chaos / Be'lakor own ritual ? 

IIRC, the "cursed skies" effect is because Be'lakor made some Chaos ritual on top of the towers' destruction ?

I really like how much of an impact this story has had - a massive step up from Psychic Awakening. However I am a bit confused re Kroak blowing up the tower.

For one, these Silver Towers have been around for ages and, while being a nuisance, they never really seemed that important. Maybe I've missed some lore here, but I wouldn't consider destroying one being as important as all the Realm Gates in Chamon. Even in the long term, the tower doesn't seem that powerful. It also didn't seem written that it was that difficult for Tzeentch to just make another (not saying it's easy either, but narratively we don't know how much of a blow this was).

If it was a mistake by Kroak, am I misunderstanding how 'smart' he is? It could all be part of the great plan, but on the other hand it seems like it was an intentional trap by Be'lekor. 

I really don't like how much impact this story has! 😱

Maybe now they got a good reason to bring out Mortal Tzeentchians... cause poor Tzeentch needs all the help he can get now. Or not. Who cares. Bring out Mortal Tzeentchians! 😎

Please!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

Maybe I've missed some lore here, but I wouldn't consider destroying one being as important as all the Realm Gates in Chamon.

Now to be fair here it wasn't 1 tower dead = all the metal realmgates. It caused like half to be blasted by the feedback. After that Belakor had to send his daemon armies to seek and destroy the other half followed by a Skaven suicide warpbomb back-up plan.

Kroak might've not counted on how far set-up Belakor was to finish the job rather than only half the realmgates in a realm known for it's aether void travel go offline for several years/decades leaving it in a still stable state.

(Also leaves a hope spot that his daemons had to go manually destroy other gates. That leaves room for them missing some or the Tzeentch contingents deceived him for sacrificing their Silver Tower and plan to use remaining hidden gates as a way to get reinforcements)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 1

I want to see some stories of Armies now trapped in Chamon. This is basically a miniature Age of Chaos event, and could have some fun stories involved. Biggest thing I wanna see is a story where some civilizations of Chamon start to build a new realmgate, and have it be a danger of accidentally becoming a new chaos portal. Maybe with some Lumineth there to help / make sure they don’t hurt the realm more.

Honestly having a teclian vanguard army becoming trapped in the realm of metal could be a fun basis for a story overall.

• Like 1

Also to note that Skraggrot is stuck in Ghur and is cut off from his Kingdom Skrappa Spill and his Loon asylum unless he went back into Chamon before it got isolated or he know of secret underground Realmgates that can still go into the realm.

maybe this plot point also lead to the reveal Gholemkin and Grotbag Scuttlers who are very prominent in the Realm of Metal

• LOVE IT! 1

Skraggrot losing it over being cut off from his kingdom and mushroom sub-realm and summoning the Grotbag Scuttlers to fly him back would be a great way to reveal them for a new faction. Could tie-in to the Excelsis siege too as needing large chunks of  the city's glimmering crystal to carve into divining moons-on-a-stiks for their vessels to navigate through the aether & chaos storm to re-enter Chamon.

Gholemkin and even Aetar(the bird people of Ghur) showing up from events in both realms would a dream come true(and a nightmare for my wallet but so worth it :D )!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, silverstu said:

Loss of the silver towers maybe gives Kharadron an edge in the skies? Tzeentch is their primary aerial foe and he just lost 2 fortresses. If they fix/workaround the realm gates- longer term it could be a win.

Genuine question - afaik, the main aim was to kill the guy inside the Tower who worked for Archaon. This might have zero impact in Tzeentch, and more on the KO, as they likely also lost a lot during the battle with Belakor. 

I might be wrong though. 

I hope there are some more fun stories of other armies being stuck in Chamon. Could think of some fun ideas of a lumineth detachment getting stuck in Chamon on the way to heal a part of the realm, and maybe allying with dwarfs to make it through this miniature age of chaos now. Or, maybe a faction is working to make a realmgate into Chamon, and the forces of order need to protect it and make sure it doesn’t get corrupted?

On 4/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, Jator said:

Not sure if you found your answer already but 2+ tough is explaining the books and currently got 5 videoes on the Be'lakor book. He explains that basically Tzeentch had a Gaunt Summoner called something like the Eater of Tomes inside this Silver Tower and he was studying how to prevent Stormcast souls returning to Azyr. Archaon wanted this to happen to all of Stormcast, not just those in Chamon. Thats why Kroak sends his forces to blow up this guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Kasper said:

Not sure if you found your answer already but 2+ tough is explaining the books and currently got 5 videoes on the Be'lakor book. He explains that basically Tzeentch had a Gaunt Summoner called something like the Eater of Tomes inside this Silver Tower and he was studying how to prevent Stormcast souls returning to Azyr. Archaon wanted this to happen to all of Stormcast, not just those in Chamon. Thats why Kroak sends his forces to blow up this guy.

Thanks! I just read Goonhammer's lore review at it certainly explain Kroak and be'lakor's motivations much better. It doesn't mention anything about the mysterious kharadron, which seems a weird thing to left out.
https://www.goonhammer.com/lore-review-broken-realms-belakor/

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 5:45 PM, Baron Klatz said:

The chapter in the book that describes the fate of the Sigmarite Brotherhood is called "Ruination" - just saying....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jator said:

Thanks! I just read Goonhammer's lore review at it certainly explain Kroak and be'lakor's motivations much better. It doesn't mention anything about the mysterious kharadron, which seems a weird thing to left out.
https://www.goonhammer.com/lore-review-broken-realms-belakor/

I think thats just a case of personal emphasis - the other report told the story differently glossing over Kroak, probably just what excites the individual reviewer. Really good to read a different account and see what Kroak was thinking - and he still hasn't been released so he has more to do in BR Kragnos.

Still definitely needed more duardin action.. 

On 4/17/2021 at 10:06 PM, Beliman said:

So, we have two teams. #TeamGrombrindal and #TeamGrungni.  

Grombrindal: 4 points

1. White Beard
  2. Hides between dwarfs as another one of them
  3. Appears when the dwarfs need the most of him (before a battle, etc...)
  4. Nobody seems to see that is crippled.
  5. He has "an unruly crown of snowy hair"  
    Spoiler

27a083d69c6a2539a0497e9229cce266.jpg

6. Smoke a an antiquated pipe, wearing an arkanaut mask!
  7. The book makes it clear that he is "old". Something that is repeated in the book Oathbreaker again and again.

Grungni: 4 points

1. Anestor= Gromthi
  2. "crude riveting hammer, narrowed at one end like a miner’s pick." as weapons
  3. Be'lakor doesn't want to mess with him (I suppose that being a God has some meaning here)
  4. He is in chamon since some battletomes ago doing some dwarven-things.
  5. He seems to" stand a foot taller" than before...

Before any group becomes angry, I suggest to have BOTH miniatures to end any possible grudge.

Upgrade!!!
Still to close to know who is Gromthi, but I think that I'm with #TeamGrombrindal.