Broken Realms: Be'lakor - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

novakai

8 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

absolutely.  Lets get them out of the cities yoke, there's only so much big trousers and feathery hats a dwarf can take.

But they are the best part of cities 😢

I really hope that GW does the right thing and keeps certain units in cities as representatives of a metropolitan society while also allowing the units to exist within shared armies. Keywords exist for a reason lets actually use them for something good 😁
Like let Executioners have cities and DoK and have Grungi's  faction run Ironbreakers and let them remain in Cities! I think this wouldn't be an issue as shared units exist within many other factions. Such as all the 'god'gors in Chaos.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

But they are the best part of cities 😢

I really hope that GW does the right thing and keeps certain units in cities as representatives of a metropolitan society while also allowing the units to exist within shared armies. Keywords exist for a reason lets actually use them for something good 😁
Like let Executioners have cities and DoK and have Grungi's  faction run Ironbreakers and let them remain in Cities! I think this wouldn't be an issue as shared units exist within many other factions. Such as all the 'god'gors in Chaos.

yebbut big troosers and feathery hats..

Down with big trooosers... 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Down with big trooosers... 

I see the whispers of Slaanesh are strong. 😇

I agree the old Empire models are pretty garish. But if Cursed City and the named Witchhunters are anything to go by, AOS humans are looking significantly better than their Old World Renascence Fair cousins. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Haha 2

Belakor turned up and decided to get work done.

This not being the finale sounds insane with the implications of what has happened.

3 stormhosts almost entirely wiped out, the return of Grombindal/Grungi, a space battle (!?).

Kragnos being an old enemy of Grungi/Grombindal - Kurnothi God?

25 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I see the whispers of Slaanesh are strong. 😇

I agree the old Empire models are pretty garish. But if Cursed City and the named Witchhunters are anything to go by, AOS humans are looking significantly better than their Old World Renascence Fair cousins. 

nay keep them up... but er.. doon with the big troosers... but keep them up.

5 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Belakor turned up and decided to get work done.

This not being the finale sounds insane with the implications of what has happened.

3 stormhosts almost entirely wiped out, the return of Grombindal/Grungi, a space battle (!?).

Kragnos being an old enemy of Grungi/Grombindal - Kurnothi God?

Kragnos, that's it.. not karaknos. doh.

Or is he / it the thing that Allarielle warned the sulky big trousers hat pointy eared on about?

yup... excited..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

, From just the preview this seems like a properly epic story.

I like that it isn't just Be'lajor moaning about Archaon/the Chaos Gods/not being the Everchosen. I like that there is a couple of huge epic battles with real consequence. I like that this shows a strength of the Mortal Realms as a setting in that the 'bad guys' can both win and deliver severe, almost apocalyptic results without having to destroy everything in totality. I like how all the featured armies turn up, no one feels tacked on or here for contrived reasons.

I'm not sold on stopping Stormcast re-forging, at least as a game wide thing. For me, that is the absolute core of their identity, without it, they just aren't all that interesting.

Do we know if Neferata and co. have got themselves stuck in Chamon or were they able to retreat back to Shyish before Be'lakor blew up all the gates?

• Like 2

In the Grungi/Grombrindal debate, going off the plot synopsis given it definitely sounds more like Grombrindal (although I would personally prefer if it was Grungi), this is of course subject to change in the full version.

If it is indeed Grombrindal, the question becomes why the heck is Be'lakor is so frightened of what is presumably just a powerful ancestral spirit.   I would figure Be'lakor to be a weight class or two above him in power.  I guess the presumed answer is that Grombrindal is somehow a lot more powerful then I was lead to believe.  

Excited to see how the develops. 

30 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

In the Grungi/Grombrindal debate, going off the plot synopsis given it definitely sounds more like Grombrindal (although I would personally prefer if it was Grungi), this is of course subject to change in the full version.

If it is indeed Grombrindal, the question becomes why the heck is Be'lakor is so frightened of what is presumably just a powerful ancestral spirit.   I would figure Be'lakor to be a weight class or two above him in power.  I guess the presumed answer is that Grombrindal is somehow a lot more powerful then I was lead to believe.  

Pretty sure it's Grungni as Be'lakor would be nervous around him. 

1 hour ago, mojojojo101 said:

I'm not sold on stopping Stormcast re-forging, at least as a game wide thing. For me, that is the absolute core of their identity, without it, they just aren't all that interesting.

To be fair, Be'lakor had to summon these chaos storms and pulp the realmgates, It takes some investment to do it, and it seems limited to Chamon so far.

1 hour ago, King Under the Mountain said:

I have the same feeling. I need to read the book first, but from what I understand:

Gromthi has white beard, he seems to not be crippled and has a new name to sneak between crew memebers. That's some points that you expect from Grombrindal and not from Gungni.

I don't remember if Gungni had any special/unique weapon. But Grombrindal had the Axe of Grimnir and that's a point in favour of Grungni. But we know that Gotrek's Axe was lost. Maybe both Axes were lost  between End Times and Realmslayer?

Edited by Beliman

12 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Grungni is the ancestor god of mining and smithing. Belakor sees the dwarf with a pick and hammer. 

It's Grungni's return.

Either that or a very short well fed Sigmar body double. 

26 minutes ago, Me-dude-sa said:

...  "the enemies of Gromthi"  are gonna be a new version of the legion of azgorth?

Oh if only... and they can start by making them look like the old legion for starters- not like that half naked skinny dipping dude wearing a chamberpot on his head that follows the iron golems around.

7 minutes ago, Morglum StormBasha said:

Grombrindal makes sense. White dwarf has featured specially commissioned Grombrindal stories in each of the last 4 issues and there are 2 more to go. So this is definitely part of a plan 

Grombrindal always carries his rune axe with him, though. Even in the most recent story where he's pretending to be a Kharadron gunner, he's still got his axe.

Hammer and Pick points more towards Grugni, one way or another.

So, we have two teams. #TeamGrombrindal and #TeamGrungni.  

Grombrindal: 4 points

1. White Beard
  2. Hides between dwarfs as another one of them
  3. Appears when the dwarfs need the most of him (before a battle, etc...)
  4. Nobody seems to see that is crippled.

Grungni: 4 points

1. Anestor= Gromthi
  2. Pick and Hammer as weapons
  3. Be'lakor doesn't want to mess with him (I suppose that being a God has some meaning here)
  4. He is in chamon since some battletomes ago doing some dwarven-things.

Before any group becomes angry, I suggest to have BOTH miniatures to end any possible grudge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Setting aside the grungi vs grombrindal speculation thread

I have a theory on how they might resolve the destruction of the realmgates in Chamon, with the arrival of new duardin factions.

Back in the old world, one of the things the dawi were famed for were their massive continent spanning underground highways called the 'Underways'

What if that is what Grungi has been working on building under the mountains of Chamon? A new means to connect the realms together, separate from the realmgates, sort of a order version of the skaven gnawholes. 

--

My reasoning is that GW cannot leave the whole realm of Chamon inaccessible permanently, so there must be some solution down the road to save the realm, and I think Grungi building a new underway, could a be a cool reimagining of old dwarf lore, in the AOS setting.

I know the popular theory is that he has been working away at a new duardin race, but I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive, and if someone is going to save Chamon, it should be Grungi and his godly artifice, 

I also imagine if would take literal armies of duardin under Grungi's instruction to construct something so massive, so that could tie it in nicely with unveiling the remiagined dwarves as duardin, that everyone seems to be clamoring for. 

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 5

Grungni can most likely make new realmgates.  Chamon is composed of sub-realms like Spiral Crux( Godwrought Isles)  and The Hanging Valleys.  It was  Grungni that forge these sub-realms into existence from the magic of chamon.  

27 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

Setting aside the grungi vs grombrindal speculation thread

I have a theory on how they might resolve the destruction of the realmgates in Chamon, with the arrival of new duardin factions.

Back in the old world, one of the things the dawi were famed for were their massive continent spanning underground highways called the 'Underways'

What if that is what Grungi has been working on building under the mountains of Chamon? A new means to connect the realms together, separate from the realmgates, sort of a order version of the skaven gnawholes. 

--

My reasoning is that GW cannot leave the whole realm of Chamon inaccessible permanently, so there must be some solution down the road to save the realm, and I think Grungi building a new underway, could a be a cool reimagining of old dwarf lore, in the AOS setting.

I know the popular theory is that he has been working away at a new duardin race, but I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive, and if someone is going to save Chamon, it should be Grungi and his godly artifice, 

I also imagine if would take literal armies of duardin under Grungi's instruction to construct something so massive, so that could tie it in nicely with unveiling the remiagined dwarves as duardin, that everyone seems to be clamoring for. 

Either that or he’s brought the true sons of grimnir back into the fold. Kin of them that followed him into the chaos wastes.

they now will have a new soulforge made of an arcane material known as Plar-Styk as opposed to R’aæsyn.

what dwarf doesn’t want a bull made of cinders and magma as a pet and a sentient choo choo train anyway.

ooohhh imagine what they could do with a sky ship !

1 hour ago, Televiper11 said:

It’s not Grungni. The “white dwarf” in the White Dwarf serial that clearly prequels BR: Bel’akor directly states that he’s not a God like Grungni.

Does it state what he is? Belakor only acknowledged an entity not necessarily a god. Grombrindal is an ancestor spirit from the World that was so he could be pretty powerful. It’s never(to my knowledge) been stated how powerful he is or what he is. Grimnir, Grungni and Valaya were all ancestor spirits originally.. plus Belakor isn’t a god (he’s a very naughty boy), so it wouldn’t have to be a god that scared him. They have, of course deliberately kept this vague to keep us guessing , I really hope we get some new dwarf models in the not too distant future. 

edit- has Belakor had a run in with Grungni in the past? 

Edited by silverstu

Maybe that mysterious dwarf with white beard is both Grombrindal and Grungni. Maybe Grombrindal was always Grungni from the beginning. Maybe Grungni never left his people and was always at their side whenever they were in times of need.

Grombrindal, the White Dwarf. Always hidden, always wearing many disguises, but still there when his people needs guidance the most.

And the novels in the white dwarf never state this strange duardin who's never the same isn't a god. We just have his words from time to time, but never from the point of view of the narrator - always the character. He may be simply misleading the people he's speaking to with half-truths and double meanings.

• Like 4