Mawtribes, and the Dynamics between destruction's Races.

Shankelton

So as it stands Destruction as a whole is one of the least defined Grand Alliances in the narrative. There is not yet a great deal of lore, or stories of defining characters unlike the other big three grand alliances. 

What relationships do the Mawtribes, in particular, have with the other factions of destruction? The greenskins seem to be the primary face, with a well defined and historical relationship with goblins/grots/ and orruks. Even gargents, to a degree, given their more nomadic and isolationist nature have a way to fit into a marching host of destruction forces.

Ogres seem very separate from that hoard, how do they mingle and interact? What does a Grand Alliance of Destruction war camp look like?

I must admit, I still think of Destruction as "the Greenskin faction" and feel like Mawtribes and Gargants were just lumped in there with them along with a ham-fisted retcon about how the Great Maw was Gorkamorka all along. They don't seem well aligned to me.

But then, I also don't think the Grand Alliances serve any purpose at this point, and are just ham-stringing the lore development of various independent races. The Broken Realms series seems to be setting up the old Alliances to be broken apart, so I'm hoping the next edition of the game will do away with them altogether, replacing them with a universal ally matrix instead.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the Grand Alliances are no actual alliances, but rather a way to group factions based on certain principles:

• "Order" is all about structured civilisation in opposition to chaos and death - the will to live and grow is the shared principle.
  • "Death" groups together all undead factions (most of them serving Nagash) - here it is all about the opposition to life in general.
  • "Chaos" is about the domination of everything under the rule of Chaos.
  • "Destruction" is kind of the rest - fundamental opposition to any system, guided by "might makes right".

So Ogres have no real shared interests with any of the Greenskins, what they have in common is their will to "just have it their way".

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 12:15 PM, Darnok said:

Keep in mind that the Grand Alliances are no actual alliances, but rather a way to group factions based on certain principles:

• "Order" is all about structured civilisation in opposition to chaos and death - the will to live and grow is the shared principle.
  • "Death" groups together all undead factions (most of them serving Nagash) - here it is all about the opposition to life in general.
  • "Chaos" is about the domination of everything under the rule of Chaos.
  • "Destruction" is kind of the rest - fundamental opposition to any system, guided by "might makes right".

So Ogres have no real shared interests with any of the Greenskins, what they have in common is their will to "just have it their way".

Good point! I suppose I'm just craving a bit of lore for the group dynamic of Gordraks Waagh. How it holds itself together, what life is like in the warcamp, the hierarchy. I imagine it's organized chaos, but would be nice to get a bit of world building canonized.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:56 PM, Shankelton said:

Good point! I suppose I'm just craving a bit of lore for the group dynamic of Gordraks Waagh. How it holds itself together, what life is like in the warcamp, the hierarchy. I imagine it's organized chaos, but would be nice to get a bit of world building canonized.

The pure chaos going on in the war camps would be hilarious to see, I imagine the ogors and large orruks would get on fairly well (in relative terms)  and have a good share of grot kicking, squig eating, mounted races and brawls, groups of night goblins going round shanking the one guy that kicked/sat on their mate, the odd shaman exploding, from the short skarrgrot story we see a glimpse with the orruks jeering at him but doubt they’d actually try anything against him for fear of being turnt into a giant mushroom (a non sentient one) the giants are probably kept well clear of by everyone and the beast corrals are probably much the same with fights going on and opportunistic squigs jumping in for a feast on the looser, again the Bosses would be much the same with Megabosses and tyrants pretty much on the same page of being the biggest and strongest but all under gordrakk

Edited by Hypno
  • Like 2