1500 pnt skaven with little money spent?

Jimmy Bob Jones

I’d say the answer is Plague Monks. They are one of the cheapest boxes per model, and you can convert almost anything from them with some Cities/40k bits: Acolytes, weapon teams...

Stormvermin are also great for conversions, but they are a bit more expensive.

Example:

image.jpg.18f835af286db03a19c72bbb45971b6d.jpg

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 3

Due to Total War, I have a bit of a disdain for Skaven, but the Plague Monks set has been known to tempt me. If you have a friend with Cities (or just ebay a few things), you could do quite well.

You could leave some bread out, and train the ensueing rats very well. Would also save you physically moving the models.

Alternatively, you could print a few anthropomorphic mice/rats and use those.

For some factions, Underworld or Blood Bowl provides a cheap "in", but not for Skaven.

Kitten Mount.jpg

Edited by zilberfrid

On 4/5/2021 at 10:44 AM, Jimmy Bob Jones said:

Ok so, ever since I've gotten into Warhammer I've kinda wanted to make a skaven army. But my budget for this kinda thing isn't the best so I'm wondering what would be a good 1500 point army for skaven with as little cost. I'll be fighting against khorne, nurgle, and ogors most likely

Are you guys use the restrictions for 1000 points or for 2000 Points?

1500 is houseruling and not official of GW. It also makes a difference how many Battleline units you have to play and how many Heroes, Artillery and Behemoths you can play.

And yeah, clan pestilence should be one of the cheaper ways.

2 Start Collecting Boxes + 1 Plague Monks + 1 Verminlord Corruptor as an example (second Plague Furnace instead of Screaming Bell is also possible, but only if you have the 2000 Points restrictions, because that list has 3 Benemoths.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- General

Battleline

Units
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Artillery
Plagueclaw (150)
Plagueclaw (150)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

5 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Are you guys use the restrictions for 1000 points or for 2000 Points?

1500 is houseruling and not official of GW. It also makes a difference how many Battleline units you have to play and how many Heroes, Artillery and Behemoths you can play.

And yeah, clan pestilence should be one of the cheaper ways.

2 Start Collecting Boxes + 1 Plague Monks + 1 Verminlord Corruptor as an example (second Plague Furnace instead of Screaming Bell is also possible, but only if you have the 2000 Points restrictions, because that list has 3 Benemoths.

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (200)
Verminlord Corruptor (280)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (240)
- General

Battleline

Units
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers
20 x Plague Monks (160)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Standard Bearers
- 1x Plague Harbingers

Artillery
Plagueclaw (150)
Plagueclaw (150)

Total: 1500 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 110

This is really appreciated but I've never really liked the Pestilens models, I was wondering more about using things like Warp Lightning Cannons and hordes of clanrats, I don't know a lot about skaven so that's why I'm asking y'all

On 4/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jimmy Bob Jones said:

This is really appreciated but I've never really liked the Pestilens models, I was wondering more about using things like Warp Lightning Cannons and hordes of clanrats, I don't know a lot about skaven so that's why I'm asking y'all

Well, maybe you should have mentioned this in your starting post?

1500 points is not supported by tournaments therefore I think that you talk about casual games? Then I highly advice the use of proxxies. I don´t know anyone who does not allow proxxies in casual games.

Some facts regarding hobby costs:

- heros are cheap but bring relatively high points costs to the table

- Battalions don´t cost any money, but increase your army points

- elite units often have a better points to cash ratio than battleline units

- buy whole armies on the second hand market, that way you pay the least per model

- I think Skaven is one of the more expensive armies out there because of their low points per model ratio

- one of the best points per cash ratios in the Skaven line seems to be the warplightning cannon followed by (Grey Seer + endless spells) as well as Doomwheel, Stormvermin and Stormfiends

- the Start Collecting Pestilens boxed set allows for a Great Seer on Doomwheel + Warplightning Cannon which is roughly 420 points and therefore rather cheapish, especially if you can sell the Plague Monks

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 9:12 PM, Hannibal said:

Well, maybe you should have mentioned this in your starting post?

1500 points is not supported by tournaments therefore I think that you talk about casual games? Then I highly advice the use of proxxies. I don´t know anyone who does not allow proxxies in casual games.

Some facts regarding hobby costs:

- heros are cheap but bring relatively high points costs to the table

- Battalions don´t cost any money, but increase your army points

- elite units often have a better points to cash ratio than battleline units

- buy whole armies on the second hand market, that way you pay the least per model

- I think Skaven is one of the more expensive armies out there because of their low points per model ratio

- one of the best points per cash ratios in the Skaven line seems to be the warplightning cannon followed by (Grey Seer + endless spells) as well as Doomwheel, Stormvermin and Stormfiends

- the Start Collecting Pestilens boxed set allows for a Great Seer on Doomwheel + Warplightning Cannon which is roughly 420 points and therefore rather cheapish, especially if you can sell the Plague Monks

Ok then, taking into advice and events we've moved to 1000 points for our casual battles and I've made a list for it. How effective against nurgle and ogors will this be: 

Plague priest on Plague Furnace

Plague monks x40

Stormvermin x10

Warp Lightning Cannon x2

Alternatively I can take out the stormvermin and ten plague monks for 3 stormfiends