The Painting Contract - April 2021

I will not be finishing the team, I haven't decoded on their markings, their basing and have been working on Altar quest and have all theirs now finished (all 211 of them, but started in december) as well as d&d stuff. Still managed over 3 models per day, I think.

Edited by zilberfrid

On 4/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Just wanted to add, I didn't paint anything, because I sadly lost interest in the Faction. I would have been glad to share a few images but it wasn't meant to be. :(

Meant to respond to this earlier. Sorry to hear that you've lost interest in Lumineth. What's changed your mind on them? Also, are you thinking of any other armies at the moment?

There's a few more Aelven factions out there that might grab your attention 🙂!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThalmorRepresentative said:

Meant to respond to this earlier. Sorry to hear that you've lost interest in Lumineth. What's changed your mind on them? Also, are you thinking of any other armies at the moment?

There's a few more Aelven factions out there that might grab your attention 🙂!

Thanks for your reply, it means a lot. 😃
If anyone is interested here is my Ted Talk: (not a native speaker so it is a bit rugged in the grammar departement)
(This is not a rant (sorry if it sounds that way at times) - I just want to understand my demotivation myself)

It was a combination of Aesthetics and the Rules and the Lore that drove me off the Lumineth route. It was always an on and off for me since the first LRL release. I was not that fond of the Spirits and Aelementiri or all of the hero Models sadly. The basic troops however I really felt attached to and tried many paint schemes - but none really had the right vibe to me.

I guess that I am very picky but I think the heart of the Issue is that the Lumineth always felt a little "off" to me - at first I didn't want to admit it though. 😅 The Sentinels for instance are beautiful Models, the connection with the animal theme through the Hawk is really creative and unique or that the Unit Champions all feel like small important characters that can change the tide of battle.

The Lord Regent is a perfect example of my perception of the Lumineth: A great Aelf Model with fitting rules and a heroic demeanour with a flurry of attacks - powerful yet vulnerable. Yet I detested the Mount and wanted to change it to a Horse immediately. This apllies to the whole faction: Even in the Models I did like there were design descicions were I always found something to complain about.

For example the principle of a Banner-bearer Hero really appeals to me but then the Banner is obscenely huge. And I didn't want to convert and change all the elements I didn't like, the enthusiam wasn't there anymore. :/ Then there always had been models I found aesthetically really unpleasing: The Spirit of the Mountain for example is simply a design I cant wrap my head around. 

Also, rules wise there were a few things I didn't like. For instance how the Aetherquartz works, always seemed like a mechanic that I personally didn't enjoy both from a rules and narrative point of view. The Bladelord Rules were a total diappointment for me sadly. Or that Ymetrica is the Nation with all the special Characters did not sit well and put me off in the long run.

Additionally some rules felt inexplicably wrong, like printing errors. Why does the calligrave Blade have 3" reach? Why does the Ballista move 6" with 2 Aelves carrying it? Why does the Loreseeker have 6 Wounds instead of 5?

This rules dissonance really selaed the deal that it wasn't the right army.

Maybe also the Nail on the coffin was this: All the talk about "NPE" when the second wave hit really demoralized me :( It got to a point were I just gave up and put my Models into a box and closed them away.

In the end I have moved away from Aelves again. But I don't know what I really want - there are few factions that interest me. New Free Peoples and Sigmar-oriented Humans in general would be really cool. I also like Beasts of Chaos (I fear that they might be discontinued in 2 or 3 years and don't want to collect them now) in General but beyond that, I guess there is not much else. 😂

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2021 at 10:16 AM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

I also like Beasts of Chaos (I fear that they might be discontinued in 2 or 3 years and don't want to collect them now) in General but beyond that, I guess there is not much else. 😂

While I don’t have “any special knowledge” I don’t see it likely that we will see Beasts of Chaos going away.

They’re a relatively recent faction redo, (2018) and they’ve been a chaos staple for a long time (Tzaangor are even available in Disciples of Tzeentch)

As they’re from several years ago I do expect them to receive a Battletome update. But as a faction they’ve even received support in Warhammer Underworlds.

Whatever choice you decide upon, know that we’ll hold space for you here at the painting table when you finally decide where you want to go with your next painting project.

Edited by TheOtherJosh
Spelling
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 5/6/2021 at 11:16 PM, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Thanks for your reply, it means a lot. 😃
If anyone is interested here is my Ted Talk: (not a native speaker so it is a bit rugged in the grammar departement)
(This is not a rant (sorry if it sounds that way at times) - I just want to understand my demotivation myself)

It was a combination of Aesthetics and the Rules and the Lore that drove me off the Lumineth route. It was always an on and off for me since the first LRL release. I was not that fond of the Spirits and Aelementiri or all of the hero Models sadly. The basic troops however I really felt attached to and tried many paint schemes - but none really had the right vibe to me.

I guess that I am very picky but I think the heart of the Issue is that the Lumineth always felt a little "off" to me - at first I didn't want to admit it though. 😅 The Sentinels for instance are beautiful Models, the connection with the animal theme through the Hawk is really creative and unique or that the Unit Champions all feel like small important characters that can change the tide of battle.

The Lord Regent is a perfect example of my perception of the Lumineth: A great Aelf Model with fitting rules and a heroic demeanour with a flurry of attacks - powerful yet vulnerable. Yet I detested the Mount and wanted to change it to a Horse immediately. This apllies to the whole faction: Even in the Models I did like there were design descicions were I always found something to complain about.

For example the principle of a Banner-bearer Hero really appeals to me but then the Banner is obscenely huge. And I didn't want to convert and change all the elements I didn't like, the enthusiam wasn't there anymore. :/ Then there always had been models I found aesthetically really unpleasing: The Spirit of the Mountain for example is simply a design I cant wrap my head around. 

Also, rules wise there were a few things I didn't like. For instance how the Aetherquartz works, always seemed like a mechanic that I personally didn't enjoy both from a rules and narrative point of view. The Bladelord Rules were a total diappointment for me sadly. Or that Ymetrica is the Nation with all the special Characters did not sit well and put me off in the long run.

Additionally some rules felt inexplicably wrong, like printing errors. Why does the calligrave Blade have 3" reach? Why does the Ballista move 6" with 2 Aelves carrying it? Why does the Loreseeker have 6 Wounds instead of 5?

This rules dissonance really selaed the deal that it wasn't the right army.

Maybe also the Nail on the coffin was this: All the talk about "NPE" when the second wave hit really demoralized me :( It got to a point were I just gave up and put my Models into a box and closed them away.

In the end I have moved away from Aelves again. But I don't know what I really want - there are few factions that interest me. New Free Peoples and Sigmar-oriented Humans in general would be really cool. I also like Beasts of Chaos (I fear that they might be discontinued in 2 or 3 years and don't want to collect them now) in General but beyond that, I guess there is not much else. 😂

That’s what makes me angry/disappointed about most of the NPE talk - much of it is by people who never even played against Lumineth, much less the second wave models. A lot is just envy/gate keeping and sadly from time to time it works. It’s one reason why I’m mostly not here anymore. So much negativity and people just trying to make other people feel bad about what they play (not only LRL). The painting section is great though! Not saying there can’t be any genuine NPE experience with the LRL, but a lot is just mean spirited in my view. 

I hope you find your army though, but it sounds a bit like you might have more luck with the revival of the old world (if that turns out to be a good game). New free people and Sigmar humans likely would also go down a weirder road than how they look right now. 

Or maybe the new Stormcast? They look a bit more human in a way, and won’t be discontinued : ). Anyway good luck 🍀: ) 

• Like 1