AoS 2 - Settler's Gain (Broken Realms: Teclis) Discussion

Double Misfire

On 5/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

One strength of the Luminark is that it has a pretty insane range. You can definitely expect to put 1d3 mortals on anything on the board with it turn 1, likely hitting another unit as well incidentally.

If you think of the Luminark as a buff piece to support your troops that can also incidentally mortal wound snipe heroes, I think you can justify taking two of them. Cities has a lot of other ranged stuff that can help with such a strategy, such as the Freeguild Handgunner champion with the long rifle. In Settler's Gain, you can also bring Sentinels or Starshard Ballistas, which are better at long-range shooting than anything else in Cities.

Maybe if you build a list where the role of the Luminarks is mainly to support your big capturing infantry blocks, but with a side focus on long range damage, that could be pretty cool.

Yeah I really like this idea of a couple of luminarks rolling up the battlefield supporting freeguild guard or similar. Looks like I need to build and paint some luminarks! 

• 1 month later...

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- City: Settler's Gain
Mortal Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Strategic Mastermind
- Artefact: Silver-plated Wand
- Lore of Illuminatiom: Drain Magic
Freeguild General (100)
- Artefact: Syari Trueblade
Freeguild General (100)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
10 x Freeguild Guard (80)
- Halberds
- Halberds

Units
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (360)
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (280)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

I was told I wouldn't make many friends with this list, but I have some great conversion ideas for all the models.  How's it look?

7 hours ago, BaronBanana said:

Leaders
- General
- Lore of Illuminatiom: Drain Magic
Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General (100)

Battleline
- Halberds
- Halberds

Units
30 x Freeguild Greatswords (360)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 151

I was told I wouldn't make many friends with this list, but I have some great conversion ideas for all the models.  How's it look?

It looks like it will be illegal in a few weeks when AoS 3 fully launches.

The new core book puts limits on how many units you can "reinforce", that is, run at larger than minimum size. In a 2000 point game, you get to reinforce 4 times. Going up a step in unit size is one reinforcement. Only battleline can be reinforced twice. You currently have reinforced 6 times.

Other than that, the list is probably not weak because infantry spam is always fairly good. As a player, I would be worried that my whole army is very slow with this list, though.

This is one of the first instances I've experienced in which the new restrictions come into play.

Yet might be able to use this list with a double battlaion? (I don't have the new rules at hand)

Edit: NVM I thought there was a Battallion allowing one more reinforcements, this is not the cause though. Never mind me :D

Edited by JackStreicher

54 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

It looks like it will be illegal in a few weeks when AoS 3 fully launches.

The new core book puts limits on how many units you can "reinforce", that is, run at larger than minimum size. In a 2000 point game, you get to reinforce 4 times. Going up a step in unit size is one reinforcement. Only battleline can be reinforced twice. You currently have reinforced 6 times.

Other than that, the list is probably not weak because infantry spam is always fairly good. As a player, I would be worried that my whole army is very slow with this list, though.

I can split the greatswords into units of 10 and be fine.  As for being slow, most I'd my local meta is noncompetitive so i don't think moving about the noise quickly well well an issue

1 minute ago, BaronBanana said:

I can split the greatswords into units of 10 and be fine.  As for being slow, most I'd my local meta is noncompetitive so i don't think moving about the noise quickly well well an issue

There are a few ways you could go. Splitting up the archers might be worth considering. Melee units suffer a bit from being split up in a way that ranged units don't, because your opponent gets to fight back in the melee phase but not in the shooting phase.

Reducing the Greatswords to just 20 and taking 10-10-20 sentinels would probably work, too. Might be a bit of a balanced approach that lets you make good use of the new Unleash Hell command with the larger unit. You don't need large archer units that much, since they all self-buff and you only miss out on one attack from the leader for going min size.

You could consider putting a Knight Azyros into the list to make up the point difference. He grants reroll 1s to hit, which would be good in your list.

20 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There are a few ways you could go. Splitting up the archers might be worth considering. Melee units suffer a bit from being split up in a way that ranged units don't, because your opponent gets to fight back in the melee phase but not in the shooting phase.

Reducing the Greatswords to just 20 and taking 10-10-20 sentinels would probably work, too. Might be a bit of a balanced approach that lets you make good use of the new Unleash Hell command with the larger unit. You don't need large archer units that much, since they all self-buff and you only miss out on one attack from the leader for going min size.

You could consider putting a Knight Azyros into the list to make up the point difference. He grants reroll 1s to hit, which would be good in your list.

Leaders
- General
- Lore of Illuminatiom: Illuminate
Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)

Battleline
- Halberds
- Halberds
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)

Units
20 x Freeguild Greatswords (280)
10 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 146

This is how the list would turn out, I'd need to split the handgunners to get the final unit for three LRL 1/4 rule for Cities

1 minute ago, BaronBanana said:

Leaders
- General
Freeguild General (100)
Freeguild General (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)

Battleline
- Halberds
- Halberds

Units
20 x Freeguild Greatswords (280)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 146

This is how the list would turn out, I'd need to split the handgunners to get the final unit for three LRL 1/4 rule for Cities

If I am counting correctly, you have enough units even without splitting the handgunners. It's not "one LRL unit for every three Cities units", it's just "1 in 4 units can be LRL", so the Knight Azyros counts. You could have 4 units, one of which is LRL and one of which is Stormcast and it would be legal. Not that going MSU for Handgunners is bad, though. You get that extra sniper shot, which is nice.

Where are you picking up that second artefact from, though? A core battalion?

4 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

I didn't think it read that way, nice.  It was from the Settlers Gain Lumineth Tutors rule, but I forgot it was just FG and CA heroes only

Ah, good that you mention it. I completely forgot about that. It's been a while since I looked at the Settler's Gain rules in detail. You could honstely just make the Azyros your general and keep the artefacts the way they are. Or just give the Blade to one of your Freeguild Generals.

15 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Ah, good that you mention it. I completely forgot about that. It's been a while since I looked at the Settler's Gain rules in detail. You could honstely just make the Azyros your general and keep the artefacts the way they are. Or just give the Blade to one of your Freeguild Generals.

I thought about dropping a FG General to get a Ghur/Hysh battlemage to follow the Greatswords instead.  Wildform lets them get into combat faster while Pha's Protection gives them the survivability to make it.  It also lets me take a second Settler's Gain artefact rather than just the generic Hysh Artefact

EDIT ::  Updated list with help from some friends

Leaders
Battlemage (110)
- General
- Mortal Realm: Azyr
Battlemage (110)
- Artefact: Stone-spirit Armour
- Lore of Illuminatiom: Shield of Light
- Mortal Realm: Hysh
Freeguild General (100)
Knight-Azyros (100)
The Light of Eltharion (220)

Battleline
- Halberds
- Halberds
- Halberds

Units

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 137

Edited by BaronBanana

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Eldarain said:

Does including Teclis at his new price still seem appealing? It's a very expensive ticket for him when he doesn't get all the spells he does in Lumineth.

I was never the biggest fan of taking Teclis, but now that his points are up and Spell Portal is no longer empowered by default, I think it's a tough sell.

He really only needs his warscroll spells, but I guess he could be casting Mystic Shield and Arcane Bolt if he really wants to. Maybe there is some combo with the new generic spell Levitate (if he can even gain access to that).

In an army that gets lots of casting bonuses for its native wizards, I don't really think Teclis is super appealing. I think that he plays his role better in Lumineth and that Settler's Gain is better off finding its own niche.

For respected denisens of Hysh, a fresh battle meme for your consideration.

20 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

Well, if you want the most out of him, it's definetly Settler's gain, as Neil said. But if I had a freedom to do it and wanted to go full on scary meme...

Settler's Gain, a blob of 2 Battlemages on a Griffon, Hurricanum with Mage, Luminark with mage. 2x275+280+275=1005 points already. Some cheap chaff at front around Battlemages would be nice as well though, like 1x30 Freeguild with Sword and Shields OR you can go for something more expensive, up to you really. Both artefacts for Battlemages are Silver-plated Wand and generic Arcane Tome. What do you get out for your blob of that setup?
1) Everyone has 6+ ward and +1 to hit.
2) +1 to unbind rolls for 4 Wizards.
3) +2 to casts for Hurricanum and Luminark, +3 to cast for Battlemages on Griffons, +4 if you summon Endless spells.
4) Your battlemages can cast twice.

The big problem here though is that, unlike Hallowheart, Settler's Gain spell lore is pretty weak (and a healing spell would have been great for such a strategy) . Good thing than Battlemages on Griffons have 4 spells by default AND you can bring endless spells as well! And you will want to bring endless spells here. When 2 of your relatively tanky wizards have 2 casts each with +4 for ES summoning (I know that they can summon ES only once per phase, it just meas that they can still cast a spell with a +3 after), it's a crime not to bring Emerald Lifeswarm and some other ES. Honestly, with such a setup even 3 ES could be quite good here.

Is it an effective strategy overall? Well, probably not... But it does make Battlemages to actually look scary and effective x)

P.S. Also this for a little extra argument (yes, this strategy is still probably suboptimal, but on paper looks fun as hell).

Save   Battlemage   General
2+ 3.78 4.22
3+ 5.67 6.04
4+ 7.56 7.85
5+ 9.44 9.67
6+ 11.33 10.89
- 11.33 10.89
Edited by Zeblasky
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 1:49 AM, BaronBanana said:

I'm playing Settler's Gain in a Path to Glory league and I was wondering if Avalenor and the Stoneguard would compliment CoS models

Sure! Avalenor is an epic beast and the Stoneguard are more elite version of Hammerers. Certainly perfectly fine additons, though the Stoneguard don't get all their toys and aren't AS unique with proper duardin running around. lol

But make your army as you please, you are working with solid units!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gillio said:

So with the new stormcast book out this may be a dumb question but does settlers gain still exist?

yes. Broken Realms: Teclis is included in the legal publications for matched play in the GHB2021 and Settler's Gain has been covered in the post 3.0 FAQ of that book

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:50 AM, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I’m definitely having a hard time coming up with a settlers list that isn’t a bunch of freeguild. Anyone have some advice? I primarily want to run them for a small unit of sentinels and a wind mage or loreseeker mixed in with Krondys as coalition.

This is the best list I can think up within those requirements:

Krondys
Runelord 
- General
Scinari Loreseeker

Battleline
30 x Irondrakes
- Reinforced x 2
10 x Longbeards 
10 x Freeguild Guard
10 x Freeguild Guard 

Units
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels
- Reinforced x 1
Soulscream Bridge (70)

Total: 1995 / 2000

Lots of spellcasters and you can lean into making magic hard for your opppont through Drain Magic and all the Dispels. The bridge helps you move about what would be a quite slow list otherwise.  Best I can come up within those guidelines. 

Yeah, any high bonus spellcaster, a runelord, 30 irondrakes, 10 longbeards and soulscream bridge is an extremely powerful package and probably the single best thing that most cities can do right now. I don't think Settler's Gain is the best shell for that package, but the package itself is better than anything city-specific that you can do with a few possible exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...

- Mortal Realm: Hysh
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs:
Freeguild General on Griffon (305)
- General
- Shield & Greathammer
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
Lyrior Uthralle, Warden of Ymetrica (215)
Scinari Loreseeker (170)
3 x Demigryph Knights (175)*
- Cavalry Halberd
3 x Demigryph Knights (175)*
- Cavalry Halberd
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (105)
1 x Scourgerunner Chariots (80)
20 x Vanari Auralan Sentinels (300)
- Reinforced x 1
3 x Aetherwings (65)
3 x Aetherwings (65)
3 x Aetherwings (65)
*Hunters of the Heartlands

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 114
Drops: 12

My current idea for Settlers based cities. Enjoying what LRL has to offer while throwing up some Griffins to pin as much of the enemy in place. The rest of the list tries to cap objectives and go pew pew ... not sure on spell make up and which battalions to add. Very high drop count so Battle Regiment maybe?

Edited by Slave2Chaos