AoS 2 - Settler's Gain (Broken Realms: Teclis) Discussion

Double Misfire

21 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think you can definitely run Teclis in Settler's Gain to good effect. He still gets his 5+ FNP bubble and Searing White Light spells on his warscroll, so that's good. He also gains the option to cast empowered endless spells in CoS, which is huge. The most obvious application of that is casting a guaranteed Soulscream Bridge for mobility, but there are a lot of good options.

There's also the side note that you can run an Errant-Questor to give Teclis +5 wounds effectively, which you couldn't do in Lumineth. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Since Lumineth units gain the Settler's Gain keyword does that mean you could take Lyrior Uthralle for CP farming and he can still benefit from any applicable CoS abilities? I'm new to AoS so I'm not still not 100% sure of restrictions for sub-faction specific heroes.

8 hours ago, Ahlambra said:

Since Lumineth units gain the Settler's Gain keyword does that mean you could take Lyrior Uthralle for CP farming and he can still benefit from any applicable CoS abilities? I'm new to AoS so I'm not still not 100% sure of restrictions for sub-faction specific heroes.

As long as you don't have Teclis that looks right to me.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 hours ago, Ahlambra said:

You can take Lyrior for his CP generating ability. You always get all the abilities on the warscroll, you just have to watch out for whether they apply to your army/units. The only restriction on Lyrior's CP ability is that you can't take Teclis, so that works.

I think that ability is pretty strong, but when considering it from a mechanical standpoint, I think if you just want a Cities list with lots of CP, running Hammerhal is superior. That city has strong CP generation built in, as well as a good way to spend those CP (fight twice in enemy territory) and a bunch of other upsides. However, I definitely would not blame you for wanting to run Settler's Gain just for Lyrior. That model looks super sweet.

• Like 1

Am I crazy or is SG pretty great for nostalgic Brets?

Lumi options -

Lyrior / Regent (Bret Lord)

Dawnriders (Knights of the Realm)

Cathallars ‘damsels’

Cities -

FG gen on ‘hippogryph’

Luminark ‘reliquae’

Demigryphs (Questing Knights?)

FG crossbowmen (peasant bowmen)

Greatsword foot knights

Pistoliers (Knights Errant / mounted squires mash up)

Shadow Warriors (‘wood elf’ adjacent skirmisher allies)

Actual Wanderers (see above but more so)

SCE

Grail Knights / scary Enchantresses

EDIT: Sentinels for better longbowmen, allied Eels for Pegasus Knights?

Edited by Lord of the Isle

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You can take Lyrior for his CP generating ability. You always get all the abilities on the warscroll, you just have to watch out for whether they apply to your army/units. The only restriction on Lyrior's CP ability is that you can't take Teclis, so that works.

I think that ability is pretty strong, but when considering it from a mechanical standpoint, I think if you just want a Cities list with lots of CP, running Hammerhal is superior. That city has strong CP generation built in, as well as a good way to spend those CP (fight twice in enemy territory) and a bunch of other upsides. However, I definitely would not blame you for wanting to run Settler's Gain just for Lyrior. That model looks super sweet.

Yeah, to be honest for the units I like (heroes, cavalry, monsters) something like Tempest's Eye, Anvilgard or Misthavn would probably make more sense. The main reason I was looking at Settler's Gain was just to have access to the Lumineth units I thought were cool, like Lyrior, Severith, Eltharion and their cavalry. Plus that way I could still have the play-style I wanted and still have the army be thematically consistent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ahlambra said:

Yeah, to be honest for the units I like (heroes, cavalry, monsters) something like Tempest's Eye, Anvilgard or Misthavn would probably make more sense. The main reason I was looking at Settler's Gain was just to have access to the Lumineth units I thought were cool, like Lyrior, Severith, Eltharion and their cavalry. Plus that way I could still have the play-style I wanted and still have the army be thematically consistent.

Misthavn flanking cav? Awesome idea yeah!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Misthavn flanking cav? Awesome idea yeah!

Yeah, plus if your hero is decently mobile (like the Sorceress/Dreadlord on Dragon) you can use their command ability to move the flanking force D6 before the charge phase. Could be good for getting easier charges on some chariots or Drakespawn Knights. I think any flanking unit could do this, so you could Flanking/Shadowstrike a Dragon or War Hydra.

Edited by Ahlambra

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a casual settler's gain list built around the battalion box because my roommate and I are trying out AoS (and I love the hurricanum + luminark models) - mostly looking for something casual, but still synergistic and fun.

Let me know if you have any ideas for things to fill this out with! Current models I own/ tentative list: 

++ Cities of Sigmar Pitched Battle 2,000 (Order - Cities of Sigmar) [1,600pts] ++

+ Leader +

Freeguild General [100pts]: 2. Strategic Mastermind, 4. Blade of Leaping Bronze, General

Scinari Loreseeker [160pts]

The Light of Eltharion [220pts]

+ Battleline +

Freeguild Handgunners [100pts]: 10 Freeguild Handgunner, Long Rifle (Marksman), Pipers, Standard Bearer

+ Other +

Aetherwings [40pts]: 3 Aetherwings

Aetherwings [40pts]: 3 Aetherwings

Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows [140pts]: 3 Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Xintil War-Magi [740pts]
. Arcobalde Lazerne: 3. Illuminate, General's Adjutant, Hysh
. Beacon of Intellect
. Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage
. . Celestial Battlemage: 3. Illuminate, 3. Silver-plated Wand, General

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar: Settler's Gain

+ Game Options +

Game Type:[/b] 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Realm of Origin +

Realm of Origin:[/b] Origin: Hysh

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Geminids of Uhl-Gyish [60pts]

++ Total: [1,600pts] ++

Plan is eltharion + (some hefty battleline) sit in the 5+ FNP aura, with vanguard raptors + birds backing them up (big fan of the birds, but might make sense to do 1 unit of 6 instead of 2 of 3), and then have the loreseeker cap a point and drop empowered geminids on the enemy. As this is my first AoS List, I'm not totally sure what I'm missing here/what a good list even looks like - but I love the flavor of Settler's Gain, and excited to use some Lumineth models + the Xintil battalion. 

Side question - how many leaders does this list have? Battlescribe tells me I'm at the max, but I'm not sure what the 6th one is - does the hurricanum + mage count as 2? Or does the luminark sans mage count as a leader since its a named character? If I'm not at the max, there might be some room to combine the birds to one unit and add a Stormcast hero, or another Battlemage to take advantage of the allegiance casting bonuses. (or something else altogether)

Options for battleline to fill out the last 400 pts:
- Greatswords - expensive, but feels like they'd be a great side-unit to run around with the freeguild general (unit of 20 greatswords as his retinue, most likely in a different part of the map than the Luminark + aura, but they're still hitting on 2's)

- Vanari Bladelords - Can take one unit of these - and I like the idea of having one unit of them running up to join the loreseeker and keep him alive with the bodyguard skill (and they look super cool) 

- Guard - Could do a 40-man blob with a 5+ FNP, which feels quite nasty. 

Those add up exactly to 400 pts (40 man guard + bladelords vs 20 man greatswords + bladelords vs 20 man guard + bladelords + 120 points of something else?) Not sure exactly what the balance between combat + shooting should be in AoS (this feels like its a bit shooting-heavy, but I'm not sure) - so let me know what y'all think! Settler's Gain seems like a fun/interesting faction, so wanted to get some ideas, especially since there's so many battleline options.

Edited by harfyn
broken formatting

On 4/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, harfyn said:

Working on a casual settler's gain list built around the battalion box because my roommate and I are trying out AoS (and I love the hurricanum + luminark models) - mostly looking for something casual, but still synergistic and fun.

Let me know if you have any ideas for things to fill this out with! Current models I own/ tentative list: 

[...]

Looks like a fun list! I don't think there is nothing major wrong with it for casual games, but here are some thoughts:

First off, you have 5 leaders. I don't know why Battlescribe is giving you trouble. Warscroll Builder gives you the right number, if you want to check your list over there.

Your Freeguild General can't take the Blade of Leaping Bronze, since all Settler's Gain artefacts are Collegiate Arcane only. You can give him the Syari Trueblade realm artefact if you want, though (reroll 1s to hit).

If you want to add a Stormcast hero, I think most people like to take the Knight Azyros in Cities. He has a reroll 1s to hit bubble against units near him (the units getting the reroll effect don't need to be nearby, just the Azyros), and is pretty fast.

Personally, I'd leave the Hurrican Crossbows out. Just because I think Cities has access to better shooting natively. But they are not terribly inefficient, so it you already have the models, you might as well take them. They are better in Stormcast allegiance where they get to deep strike.

For battleline, I am personally a big fan of Greatswords. They are amongst the killiest units in the game if you can get them into the enemy. Freeguild guard are less exciting, but good for what they are: Cheap units that can capture and hold objectives. I'm not 100% sold on Bladelords in Cities, because I believe you can never make them battleline. I think that's a Lumineth allegiance ability. Plus, if you want them to support the Loreseeker, you need to get them up the field somehow, which is at least somewhat of a problem. Personally, I like the option of Shadowblades if you want to support the Loreseeker. They get to deep strike a long with him and can screen for him if necessary. And bringing a Loreseeker and Shadowblades is an option only available in Settler's Gain, so you are not just doing what Realmlords are doing, but worse.

It's probably worth considering what units you want to move around together. Just having one huge ball with both the buff wagons and the Light of Eltharion is probably overkill. Eltharion is very killy, so I personally think it's not necessary to pair him with a killy battleline unit like Greatswords. He pairs well with the Luminark, though, for that 5+ FNP he does not usually get. Apart from that, you probably want another group centered on the Hurricanum, because you really need to be able to project power in two or three places at once in AoS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Looks like a fun list! I don't think there is nothing major wrong with it for casual games, but here are some thoughts:

First off, you have 5 leaders. I don't know why Battlescribe is giving you trouble. Warscroll Builder gives you the right number, if you want to check your list over there.

Your Freeguild General can't take the Blade of Leaping Bronze, since all Settler's Gain artefacts are Collegiate Arcane only. You can give him the Syari Trueblade realm artefact if you want, though (reroll 1s to hit).

If you want to add a Stormcast hero, I think most people like to take the Knight Azyros in Cities. He has a reroll 1s to hit bubble against units near him (the units getting the reroll effect don't need to be nearby, just the Azyros), and is pretty fast.

Personally, I'd leave the Hurrican Crossbows out. Just because I think Cities has access to better shooting natively. But they are not terribly inefficient, so it you already have the models, you might as well take them. They are better in Stormcast allegiance where they get to deep strike.

For battleline, I am personally a big fan of Greatswords. They are amongst the killiest units in the game if you can get them into the enemy. Freeguild guard are less exciting, but good for what they are: Cheap units that can capture and hold objectives. I'm not 100% sold on Bladelords in Cities, because I believe you can never make them battleline. I think that's a Lumineth allegiance ability. Plus, if you want them to support the Loreseeker, you need to get them up the field somehow, which is at least somewhat of a problem. Personally, I like the option of Shadowblades if you want to support the Loreseeker. They get to deep strike a long with him and can screen for him if necessary. And bringing a Loreseeker and Shadowblades is an option only available in Settler's Gain, so you are not just doing what Realmlords are doing, but worse.

It's probably worth considering what units you want to move around together. Just having one huge ball with both the buff wagons and the Light of Eltharion is probably overkill. Eltharion is very killy, so I personally think it's not necessary to pair him with a killy battleline unit like Greatswords. He pairs well with the Luminark, though, for that 5+ FNP he does not usually get. Apart from that, you probably want another group centered on the Hurricanum, because you really need to be able to project power in two or three places at once in AoS.

This is great! I wasn't sure about the hurricane boys either - grabbed them for the list because I had the birds already, but feel like I'll end up swapping them out at some point down the line (they're 140, so easy swap for more greatswords, or shadow warriors, maybe). The Azyros is really cool - totally missed him looking for a SCE hero, and re-rolling ones is the best buff this list can get too since everything is hitting on 2's most of the time. I think I might fill this out with him and some greatswords, and then some guard for the third battleline and get me a full 20 body retinue.

Thinking about Groups of dudes makes a lot of sense, thats super helpful - maybe something like this - 
Luminark + eltharion + guard + Handgunners + general
Loreseeker + an objective
Hurricanum + azyros + greatswords + crossbows + birds

• Like 1

19 hours ago, harfyn said:

This is great! I wasn't sure about the hurricane boys either - grabbed them for the list because I had the birds already, but feel like I'll end up swapping them out at some point down the line (they're 140, so easy swap for more greatswords, or shadow warriors, maybe). The Azyros is really cool - totally missed him looking for a SCE hero, and re-rolling ones is the best buff this list can get too since everything is hitting on 2's most of the time. I think I might fill this out with him and some greatswords, and then some guard for the third battleline and get me a full 20 body retinue.

Thinking about Groups of dudes makes a lot of sense, thats super helpful - maybe something like this - 
Luminark + eltharion + guard + Handgunners + general
Loreseeker + an objective
Hurricanum + azyros + greatswords + crossbows + birds

I would not swap out the hurricane boys. Having access to deny charges with your aetherwings is very, very strong.

• Thanks 2

On 4/6/2021 at 11:07 AM, Double Misfire said:

The Loreseeker's objective shenanigans sure look like they have potential, but remember he can only hold onto the objective he starts the game next to regardless of enemy numbers.

The rules for the Hurricanum pretty clearly state that you can't stack +1 to hit and +1 to cast buffs from multiple Hurricanums. :( 

The Loreseeker holds on to any objective he is set up on. So you can reposition him with Soulscream bridge and the holds it like he would at the setup he does at the beginning of the game.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:53 AM, Rune said:

The Loreseeker holds on to any objective he is set up on. So you can reposition him with Soulscream bridge and the holds it like he would at the setup he does at the beginning of the game.

Here's the full rules text for reference:

In addition, instead of setting up this model on the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is set up as a Lone Agent reserve unit.

If you do so, at the start of the first battle round, before determining who has the first turn, you must set up this model on the battlefield anywhere that is more than 3" from any enemy units and not in your territory.

If you set up this model within 6" of an objective that has no enemy units within 6" of it, you gain control of that objective, and your opponent cannot gain control of it while this model is within 6" of it.

I'd say this text is at least ambiguous. I think the more natural way to read is that the third sentence is conditional on the "If you do so..." from before. But you can read it as just gaining control of an objective whenever the Loreseeker is set up within 6" of one.

I'd say that's an FAQ question. GW should really get into the habit of writing "If you set up this model in this way..." or something. This is not the first time they have printed a "Gotcha" rule like this.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, crafty_bernardo said:

Any thoughts on running several Luminarks?  Really enjoying the narrative for Settler's Gain and the idea of shooting a load of lasers across the battlefield sounds too good to miss.

I think this is one of those cases where you don't really benefit that much from taking multiples of a unit. The Luminark is already kind of a worse version of the Hurricanum in my opinion, because it has the more situational buffs (6+ FNP and +1 to unbind vs. +1 to hit and cast) and harder to use attack (1d3 mortals in a line vs. up to 3d3 mortals on one target).

That said, I think taking one or two Luminarks, while probably not optimal, does not break your list. I think there is not a lot of payoff for it in Settler's Gain, but in Living City you could ambush with them, which makes it easier to set up good shots with their lasers. If your opponent sets up everything in a line, you could potentially tag those 3+ enemy units with it that would you would need to match the damage of the Hurricanum.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think this is one of those cases where you don't really benefit that much from taking multiples of a unit. The Luminark is already kind of a worse version of the Hurricanum in my opinion, because it has the more situational buffs (6+ FNP and +1 to unbind vs. +1 to hit and cast) and harder to use attack (1d3 mortals in a line vs. up to 3d3 mortals on one target).

That said, I think taking one or two Luminarks, while probably not optimal, does not break your list. I think there is not a lot of payoff for it in Settler's Gain, but in Living City you could ambush with them, which makes it easier to set up good shots with their lasers. If your opponent sets up everything in a line, you could potentially tag those 3+ enemy units with it that would you would need to match the damage of the Hurricanum.

Yeah I think you're right that more than one is probably not optimal.  The Living City idea is definitely a good shout for more positional play, but I guess in Settler's Gain it's a bit more of a fluffy option.

17 hours ago, crafty_bernardo said:

Yeah I think you're right that more than one is probably not optimal.  The Living City idea is definitely a good shout for more positional play, but I guess in Settler's Gain it's a bit more of a fluffy option.

One strength of the Luminark is that it has a pretty insane range. You can definitely expect to put 1d3 mortals on anything on the board with it turn 1, likely hitting another unit as well incidentally.

If you think of the Luminark as a buff piece to support your troops that can also incidentally mortal wound snipe heroes, I think you can justify taking two of them. Cities has a lot of other ranged stuff that can help with such a strategy, such as the Freeguild Handgunner champion with the long rifle. In Settler's Gain, you can also bring Sentinels or Starshard Ballistas, which are better at long-range shooting than anything else in Cities.

Maybe if you build a list where the role of the Luminarks is mainly to support your big capturing infantry blocks, but with a side focus on long range damage, that could be pretty cool.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about this list:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar

- City: Settler's Gain

Leaders

Scinari Loreseeker (160)

Luminark of Hysh with White Battlemage (270)

- Artefact: Silver-plated Wand

- City Role: General's Adjutant

- Lore of Illuminatiom: Shield of Light

Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)

- Artefact: Silver-plated Wand

- Lore of Illuminatiom: Shield of Light

Assassin (80)

- General

- Command Trait: Strategic Mastermind

Battleline

20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Units

10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)

10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (200)

10 x Freeguild Outriders (200)

Battalions

Xintil War-magi (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs

Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 2

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 123

Wardens mostly because I already have them :) tho I think with +5 FNP they become quite tanky and actually are hitting pretty hard.

Thinking of having one unit with wardens, sisters, luminark and hurricanum. 

Loreseeker doing his thing with some support of shadow warriors maybe.

And outriders/pistoliers another mobile force.

Is this list all right for casual play? My brother does play DoK and I wanna have a chance :) 

9 minutes ago, iLuvatar said:

What do you guys think about this list:

[...]

Wardens mostly because I already have them :) tho I think with +5 FNP they become quite tanky and actually are hitting pretty hard.

Thinking of having one unit with wardens, sisters, luminark and hurricanum. 

Loreseeker doing his thing with some support of shadow warriors maybe.

And outriders/pistoliers another mobile force.

Is this list all right for casual play? My brother does play DoK and I wanna have a chance :) 

Hard to say how good a list is for casual play, because that really depends on your opponent as much as you, but I think you list definitely has the tools that you need to succeed.

You will need to retool it, though. As it stands, you don't meet the requirements for the Xintil War-Magi battalion, which needs a Battlemage, a Luminark without mage and a Hurricanum with mage. Basically, you need a battlemage on foot and your Luminark needs to be the "un-crewed" version.

If you get the Warmagi box with the two Luminark kits, you will actually have enough parts to build two "crewed" Luminarks/Hurricanums and two Battlemages on foot with a bit of kitbashing. Since you just want to play casually, that might be worth considering. You can easily just count the Luminark as crewed/uncrewed as needed and you get an extra Battlemage out of the deal.

17 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Hard to say how good a list is for casual play, because that really depends on your opponent as much as you, but I think you list definitely has the tools that you need to succeed.

You will need to retool it, though. As it stands, you don't meet the requirements for the Xintil War-Magi battalion, which needs a Battlemage, a Luminark without mage and a Hurricanum with mage. Basically, you need a battlemage on foot and your Luminark needs to be the "un-crewed" version.

If you get the Warmagi box with the two Luminark kits, you will actually have enough parts to build two "crewed" Luminarks/Hurricanums and two Battlemages on foot with a bit of kitbashing. Since you just want to play casually, that might be worth considering. You can easily just count the Luminark as crewed/uncrewed as needed and you get an extra Battlemage out of the deal.

Thanks! I will look into getting that box! I changed the list accordingly:

Leaders
Scinari Loreseeker (160)
Celestial Hurricanum with Celestial Battlemage (280)
- Artefact: Silver-plated Wand
- Lore of Illuminatiom: Shield of Light
Assassin (80)
- General
- Command Trait: Strategic Mastermind
Battlemage (110)

Battleline
20 x Vanari Auralan Wardens (240)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Shadow Warriors (110)

Units
10 x Sisters of the Watch (160)
10 x Freeguild Pistoliers (200)
10 x Freeguild Outriders (200)

Behemoths
Luminark of Hysh (210)

Battalions
Xintil War-magi (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 128

Anything else I should consider changing up let me know :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iLuvatar said:

Thanks! I will look into getting that box! I changed the list accordingly:

[...]

Anything else I should consider changing up let me know :)

Looks solid :)

At this point it's probably the best if you just play around with your list against your brother and get your own feel of what works and what does not. That's probably more valuable than any advice people could give you in a vacuum.