I'm an AoS newb please help

Vandingo337

Finally I am able to like the fantasy side again.

I really like daughters of khaine, I like the warcry stealth team and the anvilgard. 

I got the new dok/hedonites box, start collecting dok and the shadowstalkers. Wondering if all these dark elves can work together and not suffer any substantial penalties. Probably going to buy the anvilgard anyways if it's not good to ally them. Great models and bits for Salamanders and Alpha legion. 

I guess I should get some witch elves too but I don't like those models much.

Anyways any help or advice on getting started would be great. 

From the first 2 boxes 

I made 10 spear snake ladies

5 shooty snake ladies

5 Winged ladies with spears

• Like 1

The new DoK book is one of the rare instances where you really can just play with whatever units you like, all of the options are basically good, or at least workable.  If you don't like Witches you can lean towards snakes and it's perfectly fine, for example.

The Anvilguard stuff is a little more complicated, you can ally in whatever units you want from Cities of Sigmar, but the DoK book is so well-rounded you probably don't really need to, but there's nothing stopping you doing so by any means and it won't hurt fun lists too much.

13 hours ago, Lucentia said:

The new DoK book is one of the rare instances where you really can just play with whatever units you like, all of the options are basically good, or at least workable.  If you don't like Witches you can lean towards snakes and it's perfectly fine, for example.

The Anvilguard stuff is a little more complicated, you can ally in whatever units you want from Cities of Sigmar, but the DoK book is so well-rounded you probably don't really need to, but there's nothing stopping you doing so by any means and it won't hurt fun lists too much.

I've only really skimmed through the book. Mostly because I dont know all the rules for the game anyways. 

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that maybe some DoK bonuses are only available if your whole army is DoK. If not then I may use them they look way cooler than say the witch elves..maybe proxy them. 

Where do the shadow stalkers fit into the army? I only have battle scribe ...I can't see where to add them although I've been told it's possible

3 hours ago, Vandingo337 said:

I've only really skimmed through the book. Mostly because I dont know all the rules for the game anyways. 

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that maybe some DoK bonuses are only available if your whole army is DoK. If not then I may use them they look way cooler than say the witch elves..maybe proxy them. 

Where do the shadow stalkers fit into the army? I only have battle scribe ...I can't see where to add them although I've been told it's possible

If you use allies then your army still receives the bonuses of army allegiance. 200 points for 1000 points games and 400 points for 2000 points games. 

Not sure if you are aware, but the Broken Realms: Morathi book introduced rules for Har kuron city, which is basically the old Dark Elf units that ended up in CoS, and allows 1 in 4 units to be from DoK.  So you can bring them all back together again in one army if you want to.  Didn't want to mention spoilers in case you are a lore fan, but it's well worth a read.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Not sure if you are aware, but the Broken Realms: Morathi book introduced rules for Har kuron city, which is basically the old Dark Elf units that ended up in CoS, and allows 1 in 4 units to be from DoK.  So you can bring them all back together again in one army if you want to.  Didn't want to mention spoilers in case you are a lore fan, but it's well worth a read.

I barely know anything about AoS except that the model line actually greatly improved which has carried over to 40k.  Of course Nagash is basically never going away like Orochimaru...also there's wierd alliances now that seem to be based upon the different levels of structure and civility regardless of what morals steer those factions in those areas. It seems morathi is a con, got exposed, decided to double down on the con and then somehow absorbed all clout meant for Khaine and reached God mode.  Which seems kinda cool. It doesn't matter to me really. dark elves just are the coolest looking elves.  Though I don't like the majority being females from a lore perspective. I rather enjoyed the more uncommon females. Because they mostly were the biggest manipulators and some of the most deadly fighters around. 

I also bought a lot KO stuff. I like the aspect of Flying Stunty Soldiers of Fortune..

I really appreciate the information.  I like the idea of using everything dark elves.  I'm still wondering about the Shadowstalkers from warcry. Is there a way to field that as a unit in AoS? Or do they just have a mixed squad formed from other units available?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vandingo337 said:

I barely know anything about AoS except that the model line actually greatly improved which has carried over to 40k.  Of course Nagash is basically never going away like Orochimaru...also there's wierd alliances now that seem to be based upon the different levels of structure and civility regardless of what morals steer those factions in those areas. It seems morathi is a con, got exposed, decided to double down on the con and then somehow absorbed all clout meant for Khaine and reached God mode.  Which seems kinda cool. It doesn't matter to me really. dark elves just are the coolest looking elves.  Though I don't like the majority being females from a lore perspective. I rather enjoyed the more uncommon females. Because they mostly were the biggest manipulators and some of the most deadly fighters around. 

I also bought a lot KO stuff. I like the aspect of Flying Stunty Soldiers of Fortune..

I really appreciate the information.  I like the idea of using everything dark elves.  I'm still wondering about the Shadowstalkers from warcry. Is there a way to field that as a unit in AoS? Or do they just have a mixed squad formed from other units available?

Shadowstalkers have a warscroll, which is also in the Battletome. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/Khainite_Shadowstalkers_ENG.pdf

Drusa Kraeth's Shadowpact may be of interest to you if you can find it in a local store, the box has a lot of old Dark Elf stuff at a decent discount. 

• Like 1