Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

23 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Probably worth throwing my usual comment in.  The WarCom website is notorious for giving us slightly incorrect rules.  We also don't know the exact interaction until we get the battletome in front of us, it may be there's an additional clarification text or examples that we've not seen yet.

It's always worth waiting for the FAQ for clarifications (give them a month rather than 2 weeks).  The term "replacement unit" is a new one for us.  The way I read it is that I replace a destroyed unit with a new half strength one - that means I cannot summon it a second time because it's been replaced (also being pedantic the destroyed unit has one model in because the rest are dead and it doesn't clarify to use the starting size 🤣).

I'm hoping to see abilities and artefacts that can boost the dice roll and possible summon bonus units.

Not sure about that, we already have "replacement units" in the Bad Moon Loonshrine:

At the end of each of your turns, you can pick 1 friendly STABBAS or SHOOTAS unit that has been destroyed. If you do so, roll a dice. On a 4+ a new replacement unit with half of the models from the unit that was destroyed (rounding fractions up) is added to your army. You must set up the replacement unit wholly within 12" of a friendly BAD MOON LOONSHRINE, and more than 3" from any enemy units. Each destroyed unit can only be replaced once – replacement units cannot themselves be replaced.

The last sentence seems to be missing in the Soulblight Gravelords. If that's not an errata, I think that it's how it should be played.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

That last sentence could be part of the core book, or at the start of our rules in the battletome.

Yes, or not... only time will tell.

But at this moment, we don't know for sure and my point is that we already have the "replacement unit" in other rules and they use that last sentence.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

No, not exactly. Think of it like this.

Turn 1 your unit of 10 Black Knights dies. We will call it unit A.

Turn 2 you get to resurrect something. You choose unit A. You get 5 Black Knights.

Turn 3 you get to resurrect something. Since resurrection does not "use up" a destroyed unit, you can just select unit A again and get 5 more Black Knights. Your previous replacement unit of 5 Black Knights need not even have been destroyed for you to do this.

If one of your replacement units of 5 Black Knights dies (let's call it unit B), you get the choice of choosing unit A or unit B for resurrection. But since unit A will always bring back more models, you should always choose that one.

You can think of it like this: The smallest size a resurrected unit can be is half the size of the original unit that you included during list building which got destroyed at some point. Because once they are destroyed, they remain a legal target for resurrection. Even if they have been previously resurrected and their replacement unit is still on the battlefield.

Thanks for clarifying.... This sounds like it will be FAQ'd pretty damn fast tbh 🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

Thanks for clarifying.... This sounds like it will be FAQ'd pretty damn fast tbh 🤣

I would not be surprised. But barring changes or additional information (such as "replacement unit" getting a definition in terms of game mechanics), I am fairly confident with my reading for now.

• Like 1

My expectation is that this is going to go off once maybe twice per game. At baseline, it is a 1 in 3 chance of it happening, which can be increased by killing enemy units. Since it only happens in OUR battleshock phase, we are talking a max of 5 times that this can even go off in a normal matched play game. However it is probably more common that it doesn't even happen turn 1 since it requires one of our units to be destroyed. Then if our turn is bottom of T5, it effectively doesn't happen. I'm sure there will be some way to change the dice roll aside from killing an enemy unit. Be it an artifact, command trait, etc. I just find it weird that only enemy units destroyed count towards the roll. I would think it would be any units destroyed, kind of like Khorne Bloodtithe.

Overall I think this change is fair. It doesn't cost a resource (command point) nor does it require our General to be alive. For me personally, I think this will be a change for the better for how I played my Vampires, which was usually a VLoZD (as a General), a few Blood Knights, some other support Heroes and then chaff, with the occasional larger than min unit size summonable unit. So I really didn't use Endless Legion all that much.

Damage 3 flat on chargeif buffed 😋 And mortals by passing through.. Only -1 rend though...

This sounds great but not broken so far it seems

And they are much tankier

Edited by Aturox
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just now, El Syf said:

Expected more tbh. Probably only the one box of them then for me, if they had -2 rend and a flat 2 damage that would have been perfect.

They don’t seem very hitty do they? They’re supposed to be our big smash unit but seem more defensive with re-rolling 1’s for deathless and a 3+ save. The move out of combat isn’t that great as they should be the unit you rely on to obliterate something on the charge. If they could move out and charge again it would be great but as is it’s a bit meh. 

not bothering to give different weapon profiles for lances and swords is pure laziness. Starting to worry we got bin guy writer.

Just now, Aturox said:

Damage 3 flat on chargeif buffed 😋 And mortals by passing through.. Only -1 rend though...

This sounds great but not broken so far it seems

Does that mean they can move across an enemy unit they are already in combat with then charge them again?

Warscroll itself received very minor buffs, aside from the special abilities. 

Riders of Ruin is quite fun, the hunger buff is...a buff, but will hardly be relevant I think. 

Native 3+ save is nice. Nightmares got +1 attack I guess....

Still my overall feelings about the warscroll are...meh. They don't feel like our super strong hammer unit. 

1 minute ago, El Syf said:

Expected more tbh. Probably only the one box of them then for me, if they had -2 rend and a flat 2 damage that would have been perfect.

Ok sure they could have had more hitting power. But lets look at these rules:

-3+ Armor Save

-Reroll Deathless Minions rolls of 1 with the Standard Bearer

-Enemy chaff engaged our Blood Knights? Well we can just move away from them without it counting as a retreat and we can do some MWs when we do it.

-Damage 2 on the charge (I'll take that over D3 on the charge ANY time)

-Hunger heals D3

-Battleline in Kastelai

-Outflanking in Kastelai

-And buffs on VAMPIRE units (not just BKs if we kill things)

I'm honestly PLEASNTLY surprised with the new Blood Knights. The BIG question is how many points for 5? Probably A LOT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, El Syf said:

Does that mean they can move across an enemy unit they are already in combat with then charge them again?

Yes.  They can make a normal move over them or out from them and then recharge them in the charge phase.

3 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

They don’t seem very hitty do they? They’re supposed to be our big smash unit but seem more defensive with re-rolling 1’s for deathless and a 3+ save. The move out of combat isn’t that great as they should be the unit you rely on to obliterate something on the charge. If they could move out and charge again it would be great but as is it’s a bit meh. 

2 minutes ago, El Syf said:

Yes! You just get to make a normal move with Riders of Ruin and don't need to retreat. So you get to charge.