Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Sadly, I think we should consider that the release is a bit further away than initially anticipated. They haven’t revealed the whole army yet, and they never leave any surprises til the last minute. They like to do these reveals at previews, so my guess is that they’ll announce the preview next week, have it the week after, and then we can MAYBE hope for a pre-order announcement either that week’s Sunday or the Sunday after that.

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

OK, I'm convinced. AoS 3.0 in the summer and soulblight in autumn.

This would make me real sad considering we've seen so much of the army already ;-;

Also considering we've already seen leaks of a unit in blisters? Wouldn't that be REAL early for that?

Edited by pixieproxy

24 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

This would make me real sad considering we've seen so much of the army already ;-;

Also considering we've already seen leaks of a unit in blisters? Wouldn't that be REAL early for that?

Would still be a shorter wait than hedonites iirc.

My original expectation was aos 3.0 in summer, sgl in autumn.  Some recent signs suggested maybe sooner, but belakor for preorder next week is putting me back into my older feeling.

Just wanted to chime in with this. I started assembling my CC box and those new skellies are sooo cool!! I can not wait to get my hands on the actual boxed kit!!

Ill even be "upgrading" my black knights with the Ulfenwatch skellies so as to have a more cohesive theme as well. 

So excited!! Come on x20 in a box!!🤞

🤘💀🤘

• Like 2

Even with the caveat that there's decent examples of combining early AoS microfactions conceptually - Mawtribes, Gloomspite (less so ruleswise) - and poorer examples - Warclans - I'd still be very disappointed if FEC got rolled into SBGL. They've got their own niche and their own strong identity by now, all of which would pretty clearly be minimised by making them simply one among many subfactions within the wider SBGL setup, they just wouldn't receive the same amount of attention. As has been pointed out, it's not like there'd be any real benefit to SBGL anyway, just a few more units as a sort of weird appendage. Far better would be to simply expand the FEC out further with their own themed units rather than granting them access to the older VC bag of tricks.

I don't think it's likely either given that as their own beast FEC have received quite a bit more focus than many of the other factions that wound up rolled into combined books. 

15 hours ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Sadly, I think we should consider that the release is a bit further away than initially anticipated. They haven’t revealed the whole army yet, and they never leave any surprises til the last minute. They like to do these reveals at previews, so my guess is that they’ll announce the preview next week, have it the week after, and then we can MAYBE hope for a pre-order announcement either that week’s Sunday or the Sunday after that.

I would expect Soulblight in May being the last battletome of the 2nd edition with the fourth Broken Realms books coming out the same day or shortly after. 

Really hard to tell when the release could be. Even though we are getting BR: Be'Lakor first, I think there is enough evidence that the release of Soulblight should be sooner rather than later. We have already seen the cover art of the battletome. Usually that means a release within two months or so. The removal of the Legions of Nagash battletome from the web store also speaks for a release in the near future.

I wonder how screwed up the Broken Realms release schedule is and how much that affects the release of Soulblight. I think the first two books were definitely delayed quite a bit, but now GW seems to be trying to make up lost time by putting out Be'Lakor and presumably Kragnos quickly. Before we got a look at the narrative of BR: Teclis, I thought that book would be setting up why Gravelords are suddenly a thing. It kind of did, with what happened to Nagash, but there are still a lot of Soulblight related plot threads that are not resolved. So maybe Gravelords was always supposed to come after BR: Be'lakor in the narrative?

I think GW does not change the order of the releases within one gaming system. Otherwise they will mess up the steps of the story they are trying to tell (same as a lot since the DoK and IDK release was about the return of Slaanesh which was almost three years in the making).

I agree that the mentioning of the book and the artwork indicate that the release is coming soon. Question is where the book fits in storywise within the Broken Realms plot. (Which is now heavily comressed.)

15 hours ago, Austin said:

The vampires omnibus from Black Library is scheduled for a May release.  Sort of makes me think May for SGL as well.

03 Undeath Ascendent PB May2021

Except that it's an old world book, and a vampire counts book.  Not Age of Sigmar, and not Soulblight Gravelords.  It's also an omnibus - a collection of other, usually previously-published works.  Maybe SGL will come in May and maybe not, but I do not consider this to be evidence for it.

Edited by Sception
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, JustAsPlanned said:

I reckon a SBGL subfaction will have a rule that lets 1 in 4 units be a FEC unit, or something along those lines.

If it's not just rolled in to begin with, we could see SGL and FEC made allies outright - LoN and FEC more or less were.  But then again there is fluff for regular vampires generally avoiding FEC.  Though there are many counter examples in the fiction - Mannfred in particular has a long enough history of working with Ghoul Kings that at one point I advocated for narrative developments that would shift him into FEC outright, giving FEC a mortarch of their own and leaving Neferata as the singular Soulblight mortarch.

I expect there will be some interaction allowed, either rolled in, or allies, or a particular subfaction can ally with FEC.  I don't think it will be anything as awkward as 'this faction allows you to take X in Y FEC units,' though.

New Vhordrai is certainly possible - imo more likely than an entire new dragon kit or any returning old world characters.  However, we've seen no sign of it at all, and he hasn't been prevalent on the lore end recently either, so there isn't really any reason to think it's coming apart from wanting it to happen.

otherwise, that new kroak model looks pretty good.  It's always nice to see a cool new undead model, even if it isn't for an undead faction.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BrotherTalarian said:

Hmm, with the new Kroak reveal, I’m wondering if we’ll get an updated Vhordai model? 

Would be more realistic than an updated zombie dragon model. 

in any case, it seems as if factions getting updates receive a new centrepiece model, which I’m hyped about! 

that would sure be nice but i still have hope for abhorash

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

that would sure be nice but i still have hope for abhorash

I agree, for the hedonites battletome glutos was hidden on the cover and I think it’s the same case with this named vampire lord (Vhordai, Aborash, Etc.) on a dragon. Dire wolves are basically confirmed and I think more is in store, probably winged vamp infantry like the one in underworlds set.

20 minutes ago, Gotz said:

from different "generations"

That on the very left is the ammunition guy from the catapult... 😍

he seems to be a bit taller, but also a kinda puppet dancer posture. Looks cool

• Like 1