Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

It's so weird that the two-handed Graveguard weapons need a 4+ to wound while the normal weapons wound on a 3+ .. I mean, sure, since the option doesn't cost points you don't want to make the two-handed strictly better... But it's still weird. 

1 hour ago, pixieproxy said:

Omg how did you make those? They're gorgeous!

Mm, I took an 8th edition spellcard image and used microsoft paint like a 99 years old to clean the text and add the new one.  Repeat 13 times, printed and glued them on magic the gathering cards 😅

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

It's so weird that the two-handed Graveguard weapons need a 4+ to wound while the normal weapons wound on a 3+ .. I mean, sure, since the option doesn't cost points you don't want to make the two-handed strictly better... But it's still weird. 

Agreed. They should be hitting on 4+, wounding on 3+ and not the other way around, it feels off. 

But IMO there's quite a bit of jankiness and things "feeling off" in this book. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

Agreed. They should be hitting on 4+, wounding on 3+ and not the other way around, it feels off. 

But IMO there's quite a bit of jankiness and things "feeling off" in this book. 

Feels off, but given that they get their mortals on the wound roll I expect it was a balancing decision. 4+ to hit would make them do fewer mortals than the shield version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Feels off, but given that they get their mortals on the wound roll I expect it was a balancing decision. 4+ to hit would make them do fewer mortals than the shield version.

Perhaps, however:
These are cursed weapons right? Even a scratch from one has the chance to kill. 
So if our Grave Guard are swinging around these clunky weapons and are less likely to make contact then it's only right the weapons don't do as many "cursed damage" aka mortal wounds. Whereas the normal swords, sure they won't cause as much normal damage but they'll touch/graze/make-contact-with the enemy a lot more - hence doing more mortal wounds. 

I feel like they had the chance to really differentiate the weapons and they went halfway there. 

I would have probably kept the sword'n'board profile as is but for great weapons I'd have:

1A/4+/2+/-2/2

The 2+ to wound is somewhat extreme so that could easily be a 3+. But this would really push the idea that these are heavy, slow but powerful cursed blades. Designed to cleave through armour. It would also push them away from the 
3+/3+/-1/2 profile that is absolutely everywhere in the book. 
They'll do less mortal wounds for sure, but they'd be much more of a threat to heavily armoured units, especially that increasing their attacks through CAs would be more valuable than ever. 

I enjoy a wide variety of profiles in my armies - sadly this book has very little of that variety. 

2 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Perhaps, however:
These are cursed weapons right? Even a scratch from one has the chance to kill. 
So if our Grave Guard are swinging around these clunky weapons and are less likely to make contact then it's only right the weapons don't do as many "cursed damage" aka mortal wounds. Whereas the normal swords, sure they won't cause as much normal damage but they'll touch/graze/make-contact-with the enemy a lot more - hence doing more mortal wounds. 

I feel like they had the chance to really differentiate the weapons and they went halfway there. 

I would have probably kept the sword'n'board profile as is but for great weapons I'd have:

1A/4+/2+/-2/2

The 2+ to wound is somewhat extreme so that could easily be a 3+. But this would really push the idea that these are heavy, slow but powerful cursed blades. Designed to cleave through armour. It would also push them away from the 
3+/3+/-1/2 profile that is absolutely everywhere in the book. 
They'll do less mortal wounds for sure, but they'd be much more of a threat to heavily armoured units, especially that increasing their attacks through CAs would be more valuable than ever. 

I enjoy a wide variety of profiles in my armies - sadly this book has very little of that variety. 

That's an understandable position. Personally, I am kinda glad we have a lot of 3+/3+/-1 profiles. These profiles are solid and have room for buffing via +1 to hit or wound, and I'd rather see variety come from different abilities and special rules. Attack profiles are always kinda abstract to me, so I don't particularly care what they are like as long as the math works out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

That's an understandable position. Personally, I am kinda glad we have a lot of 3+/3+/-1 profiles. These profiles are solid and have room for buffing via +1 to hit or wound, and I'd rather see variety come from different abilities and special rules. Attack profiles are always kinda abstract to me, so I don't particularly care what they are like as long as the math works out.

That's fair enough and a valid take. I definitely feel this battletome leans more towards your preferences but that's fine, it's still enjoyable for me that's for sure. 

And as much as I lament the severe lack of -2 rend in the book, I stand by what I said earlier. We may not be able to break the heaviest armour but we certainly have potential to be a faction with obnoxiously high saves. We don't have to out-damage other factions if we can out-survive them. 

• Like 1

A Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon with the Sangsyron blade sounds kinda smashy or am i wrong? If you add radukar or manfred to the mix its either 4+w3attacks 4d -2 rend hit/wound 3+ or 3+w3 attacks 4d -2 hit/wound 2+.

2 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Mm, I took an 8th edition spellcard image and used microsoft paint like a 99 years old to clean the text and add the new one.  Repeat 13 times, printed and glued them on magic the gathering cards 😅

I‘d love to get my hands on your cards ^^

Big F for all my Matched Play friends. I guess it was too much to expect an update to that rule so soon.

But to look at things on a slightly more positive note, how would you proxy them?

Torgillius and Gorslav are obvious Necromancers and Halgrim works fine as a Wight King.

If the Vargskyr is big enough and you have the right base, then you might be able to get away with using it as a Vengorian Lord, or if you stick two of the Blood-Born on then it could work as Radukar the Beast, with the third being a generic Vampire Lord.

That just leaves the Kosargi without a clear proxy. X-Tra thicc Wight Kings?

why.PNG

• Sad 1

On a mostly unrelated note: whichever arm you don't end up using with Annika would probably work as a replacement for that Necromunda model people were talking about using as a Vampire Lord.

Can anyone tell if those "cancelled Cursed City expansions" models are ETB kits? That should give  a pretty definitive answer as whether they are or not.

Edited by KriticalKhan

20 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

On a mostly unrelated note: whichever arm you don't end up using with Annika would probably work as a replacement for that Necromunda model people were talking about using as a Vampire Lord.

Can anyone tell if those "cancelled Cursed City expansions" models are ETB kits? That should give  a pretty definitive answer as whether they are or not.

They aren't, in fact, easy to build. They're just vyrkos and thus have relations to Radukar and Ulfenkarn. I don't think they were ever meant to be part of expansions

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Big F for all my Matched Play friends. I guess it was too much to expect an update to that rule so soon.

But to look at things on a slightly more positive note, how would you proxy them?

Torgillius and Gorslav are obvious Necromancers and Halgrim works fine as a Wight King.

If the Vargskyr is big enough and you have the right base, then you might be able to get away with using it as a Vengorian Lord, or if you stick two of the Blood-Born on then it could work as Radukar the Beast, with the third being a generic Vampire Lord.

That just leaves the Kosargi without a clear proxy. X-Tra thicc Wight Kings?

why.PNG

Honestly I wish I could find a good way to use the Blood-borne as proxies somehow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pixieproxy said:

Honestly I wish I could find a good way to use the Blood-borne as proxies somehow. 

I think they make for great champions in ghoul units. Wrong army, I know - one could ally them in though.

• Like 1

Btw i dont know if any is wrong with the mold,or bad design.

But in the bloodk nigth kit that i got,the captain wings in the neck of the body bit,both wings are white(plastic stress) and one is close to broken and bent.

I spoke with friends and all got 100% the same problem,and in youtuve i have seen 2 unboxings and both have the same problem

I found one good example,see at minute 11:45

Edited by Doko

So, I kind of threw this together real quick, and certainly haven't worked the kinks out, but I was wondering if a list like this would be viable?

Kastelai Dynasty

Vlozd-435
Coven throne-310
Vamp-140
Vamp-140
10 Blood Knights-390
5 Blood Knights-195
5 Blood Knights-195
10 Skeletons-85
Red Banqueters-100

I haven't even begun to think about artifacts or command traits yet, as I just got the book.

And yes, this was an attempt to make an all vampire army! 😄

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Doko said:

But in the bloodk nigth kit that i got,the captain wings in the neck of the body bit,both wings are white(plastic stress) and one is close to broken and bent.

I spoke with friends and all got 100% the same problem,and in youtuve i have seen 2 unboxings and both have the same problem

I found one good example,see at minute 11:45

That's weird.... mine were fine luckily.

4 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

So, I kind of threw this together real quick, and certainly haven't worked the kinks out, but I was wondering if a list like this would be viable?

Kastelai Dynasty

Vlozd-435
Coven throne-310
Vamp-140
Vamp-140
10 Blood Knights-390
5 Blood Knights-195
5 Blood Knights-195
10 Skeletons-85
Red Banqueters-100

I haven't even begun to think about artifacts or command traits yet, as I just got the book.

Think the second foot vamp is probably redundant. VLoZD counts as part of the battalion. 

Drop him and you have 155 points to play with. Maybe a unit of Dire Wolves to screen ahead of your forces whilst skellies hold the rear?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

Kastelai Dynasty

Vlozd-435
Coven throne-310
Vamp-140
Vamp-140
10 Blood Knights-390
5 Blood Knights-195
5 Blood Knights-195
10 Skeletons-85
Red Banqueters-100

Drop Vlozd for Vhordrai 

12 hours ago, Doko said:

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had no problems with my kit.

• Thanks 1