Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

We need something with high rend and/or consistent mortals. 

Terrorgheists can spike but it's inconsistent, especially without rerolls.

"Can Opener" is the term I've heard, I'd love to see something with Rend -3 but most likely that would only be a VLoZD or Vhordrai on the charge and then it's contained to a single unit with a huge target anyway.

• LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

I'm worried about Leviadons and Bastiladons here really. 

I am hopeful that our mortal wound output is good, though I hope it's not all based on spells - you should be able to run Soulblight without a heavy spell focus. 

Grave guard with mortal wounds sound good though, or those super powerful, armour piercing fell bats ;)

Yeah, we will have to see. Having extra sources of mortal wounds would be nice. There could definitely still be some out-of-left-field surprises with old units, too. Like, who knows what a Mortis Engine does now?

I think that Blood Knights can break some 3+ armor saves. They do an average of 8 wounds (without any gimmick) and they can take the beating and do some mortal wounds later.

That makes them a bit better than 6 Endrinriggers (shooting with -1 rend and then charging with  -2 rend) for close to the same points (I assume that they are going to be 200p).

Leviadons and the new Annihilators (2+ save) are another beasts.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

That does sound reasonable.

In which case though, what will be our answer to tough, heavily armoured units? It's looking like it won't be Blood Knights, at least not in units of 5 when they seem to be most effective. 

Will the Terrorgheist become a must take, or a Vengorian Lord? 

I guess we have to wait until saturday. Low rend was a issue in the old book as well ^^

46 minutes ago, El Syf said:

Morghasts!

apparently no longer part of SBGL

37 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Maybe fell bats are so big now because they're more murderous? One can only hope >.>

I wished this was the case. Yet I only expect warscroll reprints with slightly changed special rules... ;/

Weirdly, one thing I haven’t seen discussed, is that the nightmares get an extra attack on the new profile. It’s a pretty small buff but a bit of extra chip damage increases the chance of that D3 heal going off. 5 extra 4s/4s/0/1 might not seem like much on a min sized unit, but it’s slightly more insurance against getting tarpitted. I know they lost the -1 bravery banner but in effect, the extra damage potential mitigates this.

do we think with the D3 heal, if you’ve lost a model and have a model on 2 wounds, if you roll a 2/3, you get to bring back a blood knight up to the number of wounds you re-gen? Or is it capped to models currently on the table? Because it says you return D3 wounds to the unit, not a model.

3 minutes ago, MaxiD said:

do we think with the D3 heal, if you’ve lost a model and have a model on 2 wounds, if you roll a 2/3, you get to bring back a blood knight up to the number of wounds you re-gen? Or is it capped to models currently on the table? Because it says you return D3 wounds to the unit, not a model.

It is heal not returning models, and:

obraz.png.8baa3cd19b456485851f8f1c7ccae6d5.png

I am really looking forward to the new fellbat rules! Hope they pack some punch considering their awesome new models 😍 

Still consider buying them on my first purchase 😬 Same with lauka vai 

Been refreshing the WC page nonstop the past few days 😅 

Lauka vai could be leaned towards the rules of underworlds where she is changing between disciplined knight and hulking monstrosity depending on the battlefield conditions

Edited by Aturox

2 minutes ago, Aturox said:

I am really looking forward to the new fellbat rules! Hope they pack some punch considering their awesome new models 😍 

Still consider buying them on my first purchase 😬 Same with lauka vai 

Been refreshing the WC page nonstop the past few days 😅

I'm with you.

Though I do find it amusing that it is fell bats and not our more "hammer" type units that we're hoping to see big damage from xD

Nah, seriously though I am hoping to see some drastic changes to how they work, giving them some function that is unique. 
For example, maybe they could become excellent ranged unit hunters or mage killers. Or get some swooping grab ability where they grab enemies and drop them from the air (something like: against 1 wound enemy models, for every 6 to hit you do 1 mortal wound for that attack instead of normal damage)? 

They're lovely models, now just give me a reason to use them. 

Pretty hyped about my all blood knights army! More stable damage, more armour, better heal, more attacks and the ability to move and charge again, plus some mortal wounds while doing so.

Kastelai seems fairly solid too. All in all I'm satisfied whit what I have seen so far.

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Leviadons and the new Annihilators (2+ save) are another beasts.

Don’t know about leviadons, but the new annihilators... I‘d just run three min units over them 😅 

(or am I missing something? Probably 3hp and not mounted)

• Like 1

For Riders of Ruin, do you think the ability only triggers if the BKs move out of combat and trample models? 

Or does it also trigger if you make a normal move, not retreat, and simply move over models that have fewer than 3 wounds and no mount.

The article seems to imply the latter, and it makes sense to be able to always trample smaller models during a normal movement. 

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, BrotherTalarian said:

For Riders of Ruin, do you think the ability only triggers if the BKs move out of combat and trample models? 

Or does it also trigger if you make a normal move, not retreat, and simply move over models that have fewer than 3 wounds and no mount.

The article seems to imply the latter, and it makes sense to be able to always trample smaller models during a normal movement. 

Thoughts?

For riders of ruin to trigger, you must start your move within 3 inches of an enemy unit. This means they cannot move over other models as if they can fly normally, unless they do the special riders of ruin retreat out of combat ability.

*if this unit is within 3 inches of an enemy unit, it can make a normal move....... if it does so, it can pass over models with a wounds characteristic of 3 or less as if it can fly....*

So if they do not start within 3 of an enemy unit, they can't do riders of ruin.

Edited by Ghoooouls

4 minutes ago, BrotherTalarian said:

Thoughts?

From the flavour text and wording of the rules it seems obvious to me that the intent is to only be usable if they are in combat already and allow them to charge later in the charge phase.

1 minute ago, Liquidsteel said:

That's interesting, currently, does a normal move specify that you MUST finish outside of 3" in the core rules?

Yup, there are two options for a normal move if you are in combat, you remain stationary, or you retreat.

Still, the ability is great, especially paired with the vhordrai dynasty thing where they can get +2 to run - roll a 6 or use a command point and that's 18 inch retreat doing d3 mortals to units they pass over.

1 minute ago, Liquidsteel said:

Yeah, I'm still convinced that the intent is for this to be a levelled up retreat and charge and it would make them so much better if so.

Whilst I would love this I'm not sure if they could quite easily be a bit tooooo strong with retreat and charge, but I'm happy either way

2 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Whilst I would love this I'm not sure if they could quite easily be a bit tooooo strong with retreat and charge, but I'm happy either way

I think a happy medium would be for the Kastellai dynasty to give all Vampire keyworded units Retreat and Charge. So they get these extra buffs within their dedicated subfaction.

I do agree with others that the wording is odd, why specify that you can make a normal move when within 3" of enemy units if you could do that anyway? Most likely written with 3,0 in mind.

• Like 1