Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yes! You just get to make a normal move with Riders of Ruin and don't need to retreat. So you get to charge.

With this wording I am not sure. Normal moves are moves done in movement phase after all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pixieproxy said:

Honestly this isn't 'just' a retreat and charge. They have 10 move, these peeps can glide across the battlefield and absolutely punish positioning or screening with the wrong units.

Or if you're lucky finish off a unit and grab the buff, then charge. 

• Like 1

Ok, after re-reading the riders of ruin rule that’s actually really cool. They essentially always have 2D weapons because you can move out of combat, inflict mortals, then charge back in or move to another opponent.

unless you get double turned I suppose. 
having -1 rend is a bit surprising, will make it harder to kill tougher units.

the kastelei buffs are awesome, but I see it more as flavour than actually much help during the game, unless you can easily pick some units off. Probably best to run a full unit of 15, then to benefit from these buffs.

3 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

If they could move out and charge again it would be great but as is it’s a bit meh.

What makes you think they can't charge again? As far as I can tell, this ability all but guarantees that they'll be charging on every one of your turns even if your opponent tries to tie them up with chaff.

3 minutes ago, GutrotSpume said:

not bothering to give different weapon profiles for lances and swords is pure laziness. Starting to worry we got bin guy writer.

No, way more of this please. We don't need meaningless weapon choices where one is clearly superior, which only results in people being able to assemble their models "wrong". Just make every unit's weapons generic like this so the unit does what it's supposed to and we can build them in whatever way looks cool.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Boar said:

With this wording I am not sure. Normal moves are moves done in movement phase after all

What problem do you see? The rule just straight up tells you: If you are within 3", you get a normal move if you want. The only way you don't get to charge is if you declare a retreat, which this rule lets you avoid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kadeton said:

What makes you think they can't charge again? As far as I can tell, this ability all but guarantees that they'll be charging on every one of your turns even if your opponent tries to tie them up with chaff.

No, way more of this please. We don't need meaningless weapon choices where one is clearly superior, which only results in people being able to assemble their models "wrong". Just make every unit's weapons generic like this so the unit does what it's supposed to and we can build them in whatever way looks cool.

God, this. It's already a paint to assemble and play with/against KO with their million weapon options. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks guys, had a long day at work and not sure I read it properly. Makes them better than I initially though but still not as good either. Hopefully no more than 200 points or is that wishful thinking?

Just now, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

What problem do you see? The rule just straight up tells you: If you are within 3", you get a normal move if you want. The only way you don't get to charge is if you declare a retreat, which this rule lets you avoid.

Retreat move is normal move

• Like 1

I am aghast how anyone wouldn’t think these rules and this unit is the absolute bomb now.

To the naysayers, there is more to AoS than high rend and swingy damage.

We also have NO IDEA about how this unit can and will be buffed by sun factions, spells or command abilities.

As it stands, even without any extras I would take this unit over the previous iteration every day of the week.

The simple fact this unit can’t be pinned in place by chaff is immensely powerful. Ridic good rules. 

As for this is bin guy, sorry, just don’t buy either that rhetoric or that simplistic a reading of the rules writing.

This is nice, new, balanced and NOT op. The power of this unit is in its combination of strength, durability and manoeuvrability. 

Which is good for me.

Edited by warhammernerd
  • Like 1

I fail to see why anyone would think this unit of knights should have a rend -2? People, that is EXCEEDINGLY rare. There are a handful of extremely killy things in the game with that, Gotrek, Terrorghiest maw etc. These are knights, with lances and swords. 

• Like 2

Just now, Boar said:

Retreat move is normal move

It's a special type of normal move, though. Not just any kind of normal move made out of combat.

Here's the relevant language:

Units starting a normal move within 3" of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or retreat. If a unit retreats, it can move within 3" of an enemy, but must end the move more than 3" from all enemy units. Models in a unit that retreats can’t shoot or charge later in the same turn.

Blood Knights avoid having to make that choice. They can just move out of combat without having to declare retreats :)

• Thanks 2

HOLY ****** THOSE KNIGHTS ARE AMAZING

almost always D2 lances, 3+ armor, mortal wounds when running through things is good already but kastleai blood knights are dirty and i want 20 of them. Oh wait, i do have 20 of them, AWESOME :D
lets hope they do not cost too much pointwhise

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Raptor_Jesues said:

HOLY ****** THOSE KNIGHTS ARE AMAZING

almost always D2 lances, 3+ armor is good already but kastleai blood knights are dirty and i want 20 of them. Oh wait, i do have 20 of them :D
lets hope they do not cost too much pointwhise

I think chances are good that we will be able to give them extra attacks, too.

• Like 1

So as a competitive tournament player my thoughts:

The new Blood Knight warscroll changes are good but not obviously OP, especially outside of Kastelai. IMO the warscrolls of a unit should be fairly simple but then sub allegiances add some buffs to a specific unit, that way it makes sub allegiances meaningful and outside of its specific sub allegiance a unit doesn't feel like it is an auto include. So if you don't play Kastelai, you may or may not want Blood Knights. However, if you want to lean into a Blood Knight themed army (like me) then Kastelai really adds a lot of flavor to the unit, being able to outflank with a unit and buff Vampires (not just Blood Knights) based on what type of units they destroy. The only real down side I see is that their weapon range is 1" across the board and they will likely be on large bases than whay they currently are on, meaning getting them all into range could be difficult. Still, I am VERY pleased and based on these rules I'm thinking we may not have gotten the bin writer after all. I'm just going to have to hold my breath on points for these guys.

1 minute ago, warhammernerd said:

I fail to see why anyone would think this unit of knights should have a rend -2? People, that is EXCEEDINGLY rare. There are a handful of extremely killy things in the game with that, Gotrek, Terrorghiest maw etc. These are knights, with lances and swords. 

A lof of new/updated cavalry unit warscrolls changed lances to be rend -2 and D2 when they charge (e.g. drakespawn knights and others).

2 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Idoneth and chaos knights got it dont they? But i am super pleased with the rules aswell! Maybe we get another high armor piercing unit :)

I am aghast how anyone wouldn’t think these rules and this unit is the absolute bomb now.

To the naysayers, there is more to AoS than high rend and swingy damage.

We also have NO IDEA about how this unit can and will be buffed by sun factions, spells or command abilities.

As it stands, even without any extras I would take this unit over the previous iteration every day of the week.

The simple fact this unit can’t be pinned in place by chaff is immensely powerful. Ridic good rules. 

As for this is bin guy, sorry, just don’t buy either that rhetoric or that simplistic a reading of the rules writing. This is nice, new balanced and NOT op. Which is good for me.

Jeeeez cool your engines. The unit got some minor and medium buffs to its warscroll. It is strictly better than its old iteration but its not groundbreaking. 

Against well armoured enemies they'll still struggle to put any wounds on them, if they're going up against a Leviadon or a Bastiladon then I don't think our "hammer" unit can crack it, unless you take lots. 

3 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Akhelian Morrsarr Guard have it, it's not a high stretch to imagine that a vampire which should be much stronger than an elf could have just as good rend. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Morghasts are -2 rend with halberds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think chances are good that we will be able to give them extra attacks, too.

100%, probably even the base vampire lord still has the +1 attack CA. Rend is not too hot but they make up for it very well with raw power, after all rend -2 is only like a 17% damage increase from rend -1.

I’m guessing 220 pts

sounds fair enough, gonna bring at least 20 of those guys

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

So as a competitive tournament player my thoughts:

The new Blood Knight warscroll changes are good but not obviously OP, especially outside of Kastelai. IMO the warscrolls of a unit should be fairly simple but then sub allegiances add some buffs to a specific unit, that way it makes sub allegiances meaningful and outside of its specific sub allegiance a unit doesn't feel like it is an auto include. So if you don't play Kastelai, you may or may not want Blood Knights. However, if you want to lean into a Blood Knight themed army (like me) then Kastelai really adds a lot of flavor to the unit, being able to outflank with a unit and buff Vampires (not just Blood Knights) based on what type of units they destroy. The only real down side I see is that their weapon range is 1" across the board and they will likely be on large bases than whay they currently are on, meaning getting them all into range could be difficult. Still, I am VERY pleased and based on these rules I'm thinking we may not have gotten the bin writer after all. I'm just going to have to hold my breath on points for these guys.

doesnt feel sin either but since i would have run kastelai anyway i feel extreamely pleased with my noble knights. Also i bet there will be loads of ways to power them up further.
I really hope the palanquin have been improved

Units starting a normal move within 3" of an enemy unit can either remain stationary or retreat. If a unit retreats, it can move within 3" of an enemy, but must end the move more than 3" from all enemy units. Models in a unit that retreats can’t shoot or charge later in the same turn.

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Blood Knights avoid having to make that choice. They can just move out of combat without having to declare retreats

First, my earlier point about rules not being exact/complete still stands. So we will see.

But nobody is declaring any special moves. By virtue of starting close to enemy normal move is retreat move, ie. it is retreat and normal move at the same time. Unless you claim that retreating units cannot run for instance?