Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Models within, if it was introduced for every aura, would really slow down the game. Just imagine 5 units within 4 auras where parts of each unit will benefit from different rules, checking individually model by model whether it is or isn't in range of a rule every time it's relevant. 

No, models within is not the solution for a general rule for auras. 

Units wholly within is a less accurate version of models within and has its problems but at least it doesn't slow the game down as much as models within would. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

44 minutes ago, Pvarron said:

So if the price rumors are true, Lauka Val is $80 USD. That’s really cheap for a centerpiece model. I suspect there’s a big model coming soon, maybe a dragon?

For the foreseeable future, this is it.

She's not actually that big.  us$80 is actually a pretty significant markup from her euros equivalent price, iirc?  Actually, no forget it, I can't even remember what her euro price was.

Edited by Sception

41 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Models within, if it was introduced for every aura, would really slow down the game. Just imagine 5 units within 4 auras where parts of each unit will benefit from different rules, checking individually model by model whether it is or isn't in range of a rule every time it's relevant. 

Units wholly within is a less accurate version of models within and has its problems but at least it doesn't slow the game down as much as models within would. 

the time you lost in measuring effects would be saved in less painstaking movement phase trying to get units 'wholly within' those same auras.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sception said:

the time you lost in measuring effects would be saved in less painstaking movement phase trying to get units 'wholly within' those same auras.

Not even close, sure it takes a bit more time in movement phase, but you're doing a very similar thing with models within (after all you want to maximise the amount of models in the aura) and then you're also checking it every combat phase etc. Imagine the sheer chaos of a unit of 60 zombies where they all have a different variety of a mix of buffs. The separate rolling phases for attacks....No, thank you but no thank you, that sounds like a headache and a half. 

Model by model basis will always be slower than unit by unit basis. 

• Like 1

Ugh... I am stupendously stuck.  Recently picked up Neferata to round out the two Abyssal Steed Mounted Mortarchs that I respect.  I could run the Legion of Blood that sounds like the well rounded Skeleton Legions that I used too.  I have a Prince Vhordrai, and the new Blood Knights are stunning.  I also love the look of both the new Bloodlines... and have zombie dragons and plenty of dire wolves respectively...

The safe choice is to get the Battletome before I decide... but THE TEMPTATION!!!

Also... I cannot wait to get my hands on the rules for the Lady Volga, especially that spell which can turn enemy models into Dire Wolves.  I would love to see what that bloodline can do to buff (or at least make better use of) Dire Wolves en masse.

Not sure if this has been debated already but, I really don’t like the new big vampires. The ones that are half normal, half bat beast. Granted, I LOVE both halves of both Lauka and the generic version, but I HATE how the top half seems slapped on. 

I can’t understand for the life of me why they decided to go that route in designing the model that way. Why couldn’t it be a two-fer like Morathi, where there’s a specific shape change, or put the wings on the creatures back and have more of a traditional transformation while keeping a noble looking upper body half. 

It’s honestly bothered me so much it’s turned me off to the faction. That and the knowledge the vampires I like are probably going to be in the Old World rather than AoS. 

I am keen to see the fluff parts of the book. Glad to see Lore of the Vampires is back too. Best sounding magic lore ever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I am hoping the Nagash icon is the “lon” style sub faction that allows for some soup with other death for a more classic style VC book. It’s the only way the Barrow Kings chariot will fly!

Doubt it will happen though.

CE0C75ED-FCB5-48AD-8059-11D760651FCD.jpeg

I hope so too 

Yeah, interesting that they show six icons and only name and describe five vampire bloodlines. I'd guess the Big Hat icon could end up being a faction more oriented towards Necromancers?

Overall, pretty thrilled with what we've seen so far. My old Vampire Counts army (still on square bases!) had a bunch of units that ended up in the Flesh-Eater Courts, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use them in Soulblight except as allies. Instead, my Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragon can even be battleline if I choose, which is way more than I expected. It looks like Vargheists are sticking around as well.

The only slight disappointment is that the Cursed City units all have to be purchased as a single choice and will probably be terrible. I guess they can be used as proxies instead.

I can't yet decide whether I want to go with the Legion of Blood and make an army out of all those Black Knights I've been painting, or go Avengorii and put my monsters to good use (and pick up Lauka Vai since I love how she looks). It's the good kind of dilemma to have!

47 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

Yeah, interesting that they show six icons and only name and describe five vampire bloodlines. I'd guess the Big Hat icon could end up being a faction more oriented towards Necromancers?

Overall, pretty thrilled with what we've seen so far. My old Vampire Counts army (still on square bases!) had a bunch of units that ended up in the Flesh-Eater Courts, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use them in Soulblight except as allies. Instead, my Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragon can even be battleline if I choose, which is way more than I expected. It looks like Vargheists are sticking around as well.

The only slight disappointment is that the Cursed City units all have to be purchased as a single choice and will probably be terrible. I guess they can be used as proxies instead.

I can't yet decide whether I want to go with the Legion of Blood and make an army out of all those Black Knights I've been painting, or go Avengorii and put my monsters to good use (and pick up Lauka Vai since I love how she looks). It's the good kind of dilemma to have!

Honestly, I just wanted the “classic units” back, mainly the ethereal: spirit host (elite), banshee & wraith (heroes), black coach (rare).  Sure add in ghouls.. I just wanted the classic blend to play with

1 hour ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Honestly, I just wanted the “classic units” back, mainly the ethereal: spirit host (elite), banshee & wraith (heroes), black coach (rare).  Sure add in ghouls.. I just wanted the classic blend to play with

True, the spirits did get very firmly separated. The Black Coach in particular struck me as a strange inclusion in Nighthaunt given its previous fluff, and I do love the old Banshee and Wraith sculpts. Sorry that you lost out on the things you were hoping for.

7 hours ago, Sception said:

For the foreseeable future, this is it.

She's not actually that big.  us$80 is actually a pretty significant markup from her euros equivalent price, iirc?  Actually, no forget it, I can't even remember what her euro price was.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2021/05/this-weeks-warhammer-products-pricing-confirmed-hello-gravelords.html yup it's 60 USD which is a very cheap conversion rate!

3 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I am hoping the Nagash icon is the “lon” style sub faction that allows for some soup with other death for a more classic style VC book

Maybe it allows Morghasts back into the army :) (I've got 6 painted up... would be a shame if they just vanished from the army). Also: Yeah! Nagash's Legion! :)

Edited by JackStreicher

1 hour ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Remember what happened to other "Fantasy Armies that made to AoS":  Orcs & Goblins are not in the same book anymore; Empire, Elfs, Dwarfs are chilling in the same book; slayers have their own one; Sylvaneth are trees, but wood elfs are in cities... and so on.

I suggest to not expect 1:1 Fantasy armies or you will be  disappointed most of the time (there are exceptions as Ogre Kingdoms = Ogor Mawtribes), but it usually comes to something that's not exactly the same (Soublight=/= Vampire Counts) or it's completely diferent (Dwarfs=/=Kharadrons Overlords).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

I am hoping the Nagash icon is the “lon” style sub faction that allows for some soup with other death for a more classic style VC book. It’s the only way the Barrow Kings chariot will fly!

Doubt it will happen though.

Since the Legions of Night and Blood are back, maybe that Nagash skull stands for new Grand Host rules. It would definitely be nice if Nighthaunt and Morghasts stayed available that way for people who have those units.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erdemo86 said:

Normally someone gets the Battletome early and leaks some stuff on yt, Reddit etc. Can’t wait to see the warscrolls/rules

I will engage in the tantric endeavour of not looking at any rule/leak/preview (well, some are going to slip, I am sure...) until I get the actual book into my greedy hands. I don't want the internet to spoil the magical day when I'll get to open the book, smell the new pages (if you don't do it, there's something wrong with you), dive into the new lore and start thinking about lists. 

That's the plan, anyway - let's see if I can make it happen (which probably involve staying clear from TGA for a while 😜)

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Thamalys said:

I will engage in the tantric endeavour of not looking at any rule/leak/preview (well, some are going to slip, I am sure...) until I get the actual book into my greedy hands. I don't want the internet to spoil the magical day when I'll get to open the book, smell the new pages (if you don't do it, there's something wrong with you), dive into the new lore and start thinking about lists. 

That's the plan, anyway - let's see if I can make it happen (which probably involve staying clear from TGA for a while 😜)

Would sound idyllic if I didn't have a job and a bunch of other responsibilities. 
I want to know the rules as soon as possible - so I can start planning lists and slowly grinding through the paint backlog . That's my best chance of putting things on the table inside of this year xD

10 hours ago, Aren73 said:

how many auras do you have? you still have a time limit for your game so if both people play at equal pace and can finish it then it is whatever. 

29 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

Normally someone gets the Battletome early and leaks some stuff on yt, Reddit etc. Can’t wait to see the warscrolls/rules

Don't most of the youtube channels get a copy the week before?  

Here's a small thing I noticed about the new Endless Legions that has not yet been discussed:

1jcStnjPbbZlleCj.jpg

The mechanic has been changed (clarified?) a bit. The resurrected unit you get from it is now a new unit. It's not 100% clear that this is different from how it worked before, but the old rule at least seems to imply that previously, it was the same unit that came back. The most significant effect his will have is that resurrected units don't keep their battlefield roles anymore for scoring purposes (resurrected zombies and skeletons will not be battleline). Another small thing is that they now lose "for the rest of the game" effects on resurrection.

Overall, a slight nerf, but a good change in so far as it makes the game behave more like people would intuitively expect: Once a unit is destroyed, it does not "remember" what happened to it before while being in the "removed from play" zone. The resurrected unit is just treated as fresh.

Also interesting: The new implementation of the rule suggests that Fell Bats will not be resurrectable through grave sites. Neither will Nighthaunt if we get them natively somehow. I wonder if the bats will keep their summonable keyword or take on a different role this time around.

EDIT:

Also worth noting: As currently written, nothing prevents you from resurrecting the same unit more than once, since the unit you get from this ability is a new one. So you could, for example, charge in 10 Black Knights turn 1, have them die, and resurrect 5 Black Knights turn 2,3,4 and 5.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Since the Gitz resurrection ability has language preventing you from chain resurrecting and resurrecting the same unit more than once, I will conclude that this is not just rules-as-written, but also rules-as-intended. 😎

bad-moon-loonshrine-rules.jpg.438c74a08c0e8dc633bccfae0ed3a8db.jpg

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Thanks 2