Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

What makes you say that?

It's always been in 10's for hordes like this.

some of the skaven units have batch size 20, iirc.  Maybe some of the goblin units as well?  It wouldn't exactly be out of theme for skeletons and zombies, as they are typically hoardy chaff units, and if points discounts for max unit size remain a thing in 3e then it allows for a deeper discount there.

On the other hand, mortek guard come in a box of 20, and their bat

Edited by Sception

2 minutes ago, Sception said:

I do like that the Vyrkos potentially owing their origin not to Nagash but to some forgotten god-beast gives a reason why they look different, and a reason for me to put off adding them to my collection.  😛

In the white dwarf they talk about this, the god-beast might of also been Nagash in a guise, it's up in the air really. But it does lend some mystery to the bloodline. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i feel some doubt. If the vengorian lords are an avengorii thing, then is it ok for me to use them as heroes in a kastelai dinasty?

They‘re called Vengorian Lords and Not Avengoriian Lords. So I guess that will be possible ^^

Edit: Yet this might be just the short version of Avengorian xD

Edited by JackStreicher

1 minute ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i feel some doubt. If the vengorian lords are an avengorii thing, then is it ok for me to use them as heroes in a kastelai dinasty?

Might be that they can be taken in any dynasty but Lauka Vai is dynasty locked?

2 minutes ago, shinros said:

In the white dwarf they talk about this, the god-beast might of also been Nagash in a guise, it's up in the air really. But it does lend some mystery to the bloodline. 

The May White Dwarf is out today? 
Hoping to see some overviews of that battle report in it...

Vengorian Lords are confirmed as being present in every dynasty from last monday's reveal.  I'd imagine they're just especially common in the Avengorii dynasty due to their embrace of the monstrous aspect of the Soulblight Curse.

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

The May White Dwarf is out today? 
Hoping to see some overviews of that battle report in it...

It was in the January white dwarf.

"Hrunspuul the Hound of the Cairns "who folklore claims bestowed the curse of unlife upon the first of the ferocious Vyrkos vampires. Though maybe Hrunspuul is just another of Nagash's many guises"

I'll reserve my judgement until the end, but the endless legions ability is so tough to trigger. I hope it isn't a focus out our book.

BR 1: our units are likely not destroyed/we likely haven't destroyed much

BR 2: killing really starts, though wet are forced into an akward choice of get deathless minions mid board or endless legions back board. If we make a 5+ roll and a gravesite is open we get a (likely slow) 100pt unit t3

BR 3+: summoned units won't likely be able to act in time to affect the outcome of the game.

Edited by Nactigal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Is the only not-direct order way to get dragons and terrorgheists now the FEC start collecting? Mortarchs and the Coven Throne are also now just harder to get without those start collectings :(

Seems like, though with the big SG release the zombie dragon and mortis engine boxes might find their way back into stores.  I also wouldn't be shocked to see a start collectiong: SG in the not too distant future.  Though I think a Vengorian is more likely as the centerpiece there than either of those earlier units.

4 minutes ago, Nactigal said:

I'll reserve my judgement until the end, but the endless legions ability is so tough to trigger. I hope it isn't a focus out our book.

BR 2: killing really starts, though wetter forced into an akward choice of get deathless minions mid board or endless legions back board. If we make a 5+ roll and a gravesite is open we get a (likely slow) 100pt unit t3

BR 3+: summoned units won't likely be able to act in time to affect the outcome of the game.

It's definitely MUCH weaker than the previous endless legion rules, especially when you remember that we only get half as many gravesites to work with.  Hopefully the new book won't lean to heavily on it.  Legion of Sacrament had a similarly weak extra recursion mechanic, which was fun and thematic but rarely if ever triggered, and they were still functional on other bonuses.

Edited by Sception

1 minute ago, Nactigal said:

BR 2: killing really starts, though wetter forced into an akward choice of get deathless minions mid board or endless legions back board. If we make a 5+ roll and a gravesite is open we get a (likely slow) 100pt unit t3

That's why you set up the gravesites near home objectives, so that the resurrected units can grab them while our heavy units push up. 

A 5+ becomes a 4+ as soon as you kill an enemy unit, not hard. There'll probably be multiple turns where you kill 2 units, or one turn where you kill 3+. No benefit to killing units on T1 fits with our melee-only-units turn 2 charge theme. 

This rule really promotes throwing skeleton/zombie units up the field as fast as possible, through whatever means possible. 

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

It's definitely MUCH weaker than the previous endless legion rules, especially when you remember that we only get half as many gravesites to work with.

I am thinking the resurrection abilities will be on the Skeleton and Zombie warscrolls themselves. Hopefully flavourful and competitive. There was the rumour that reviewed this a bit that spoiled the Vamp-taur. Endless legions seems like just a side piece but I guess we will know for sure later this week.

Edited by NicholasFlamelGames

Just now, Sception said:

It's definitely MUCH weaker than the previous endless legion rules, especially when you remember that we only get half as many gravesites to work with.

I hope that gravesite are a pretty minor addition to the book. I am excited to see the double cast mechanic come back even though it's fairly swingy.

They keep talking about how strong our casters are, but I can't imagine we'll be as strong as tzeentch, serephon or LRL. I'd be happy with easily accessible plus 1 casting or rerolls somewhere.

• Like 2

I mean, I doubt mortis engines or corpse carts are going to change all that much, and that's two stacking sources of +1 to cast.  In the current legion of sacrament rules, +3 to cast is easy to come by.  Or take arkhan with an allied dolorous guard to keep him alive for +5 to cast.

Hopefully the gravelords can pull off similar shenanigans.

VampFF May10 DeathlessMinions1ixmv

Shoot.  I didn't notice at first, but Deathless Minions has changed to 'Wholly within'.  That's a pretty big slam against running larger skeleton and zombie units.  Gross.

That's another pretty significant nerf to the core faction rules now.  And afaict nothing we've seen so far is any sort of dramatic improvement.  Removal of ghost units - which are currently our strongest units, half as many gravesites, dramatically weaker endless legions, based on Duvalle no changes to the base vamp lord stat line and possibly loss of chalice/CA, wholly within deathless save making it largely unobtainable for big infantry blocks....  I'm not a competitive enough player for tournament viability to really matter all that much to me, and there's a lot left to see, but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous here.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sception said:

Shoot.  I didn't notice at first, but Deathless Minions has changed to 'Wholly within'.  That's a pretty big slam against running larger skeleton and zombie units.  Gross.

That's another pretty significant nerf to the core faction rules now.  And afaict nothing we've seen so far is really an improvement.  Removal of ghost units - which are currently our strongest units, half as many gravesites, dramatically weaker endless legions, based on Duvale no changes to the base vamp lord stat line and possibly loss of chalise/CA, wholly within deathless save making it largely unobtainable for bit infantry blocks....  I'm not a competitive enough player for tournament viability to really matter all that much to me, and there's a lot left to see, but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous here.

oh. ******.
Well, good thing hordes are not my style then

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sception said:

That's another pretty significant nerf to the core faction rules now.  And afaict nothing we've seen so far is really an improvement.  Starting to feel a bit nervous here.

I see this as a great sign. This could point to the warscrolls themselves being stronger. 

Also, a nice move away from the basic LoN faction, which is further underlined through each of the subfactions being based on a vampiric bloodline. Really glad this isn't just a reskin of LoN. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'm starting to feel a bit nervous here.

Same, though I think it's a common feeling when we get the first taste of the rules without the full context. Worst case we get lovely new models to paint, which is a majority of my hobby time. Though I doubt they'll hurt us that badly.