Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Bloodlines preview.

• Legion of Night - Mannfred and his friends get Fly High.
  • Legion of Blood - Black Knights as Battleline.. 
  • Kastelai Dynasty - Prince Vhordrai, improved Blood Knights.
  • Avengorii Dynasty - Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons as Battleline.
  • Vyrkos Dynasty - All Heroes count as Generals(?), were 'Cursed' by a God-Beast, not Nagash.

1jcStnjPbbZlleCj.jpg

Izqs2S9wlCwFpYXE.jpg

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Thanks 2

We set up 2 gravesites at the beginning of the game. 

At the end of our (not every) battleshock phase, roll dice + number of enemy units killed, on a 5+ spawn back one destroyed skellie or zombie unit from a gravesite (wholly within 12, outside of 9 of enemy). 

Awesome! Love this rule. 

Aside from that we keep Deathless Minions and Locus of Shyish. 

Legion of Blood can take Black Knights as Battleline, Avengorii can take T-gheists and Dragons as battleline. Vyrkos - all Vyrkos heroes count as generals. 

4 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Necrospinx is a perfect Vengorian Lord proxy already. It has the exact same body configuration. Only downside is that you have to source a Necrosphinx somewhere.

You're not wrong, guess I'll go look for a decent *looks around* recaster.

6 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Also on the pic there is a Mortis Engine and a Necromancer, in case anyone was wondering if they're staying in. 

Looks like standard Black Knights and Graveguard as well. 

15 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Bloodlines preview.

• Legion of Night - Mannfred and his friends get Fly High.
  • Legion of Blood - Black Knights as Battleline.. 
  • Kastelai Dynasty - Prince Vhordrai, improved Blood Knights.
  • Avengorii Dynasty - Terrorgheists and Zombie Dragons as Battleline.
  • Vyrkos Dynasty - All Heroes count as Generals(?), were 'Cursed' by a God-Beast, not Nagash.

1jcStnjPbbZlleCj.jpg

Izqs2S9wlCwFpYXE.jpg

I like this so far.

Apparently, we get the choice between movement shennenigans, deathrattle payoffs, blood knights payoffs, monster mash and animal friends payoffs. Pretty nice. I like that Vyrkos all get to be generals. That brings my dream list of Oops! All Vyrkos Heroes one step closer to viability.

I also appreciate that the new endless legions is more offensive. Instead of waiting around and staying back with your heroes to safely summon, you are incentivized to get out there, get your stuff killed and kill enemies to get free summons. And your heroes don't have to hang back, either. This will be a huge shift in playstyle for us.

Just now, lare2 said:

Can anyone spot the necromancer? Imagine he's in the range but I don't see him here. 

Necromancers ride the Mortis Engine (which is in the pic) and the Soulbound RPG has Necromancers listed under the new Soulblight section so I imagine they're in.

• Like 1

I am excited at the prospect of Vyrkos depending on traits that can be chosen! Gravesites are interesting. I am all for reliability and I have a playstyle that isn't too risky so I will probably just look at this as an extra icing on the cake type of thing but will probably actively play with the idea that I will roll a 1 😛 (I realize all rules are not out yet). I have a feeling grave guard will have a rule that helps protect hero's which would be super vital I imagine in the meta we are in. 

Bloodlines look about as expected.  I'm personally most curious about that Nagash symbol on top.  does that refer to generic, non-subfaction gravelords?  Or a Nagash specific loyalist subfaction?  Or to the GA:Death allegiance we know is in the book?  Does it maintain gravesite / spell lore access?

Gravesites: down to two.  Not sure whether they still heal nearby units or not.  Endless legions is automatic - doesn't look to require a command point - but does require a lucky roll or for you to destroy enemy units (dead units of your own don't count), and the units it brings back only come back at half strength.

Between that and only having two gravesites instead of four, I'd say that looks to be reasonable adjustments to the current gravesite/endless legion rules that maintain their fun cinematic qualities while toning down their potential for feel bads.

Definitely a nerf compared to existing rules, though.  Nothing we've seen so far constitutes an improvement in competitive ability relative to the Existing LoN faction, which is already bit lagging.  I'm not complaining, mind, as long as the rules stay narratively engaging I'm fine, and we've still hardly seen anything so there's more than enough open space for possible enhancements.

Interesting rules take though. The new rules seem to promote a Multiple Medium Units of skeletons/zombies kind of play. Like MSU but MMU.

I for one am excited for a playstyle that isn't forced down either massive hordes or MSU. I've always enjoyed most taking the middle path and having variety in unit sizes

It means that suddenly having 3 units of 20 skeletons is fun, or 2 units of 30.  You don't need to go 40 or 10 and nothing inbetween. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Necromancers ride the Mortis Engine (which is in the pic) and the Soulbound RPG has Necromancers listed under the new Soulblight section so I imagine they're in.

The mortis engine rider has never been a necromancer in the past.  It would be cool if he was one going forward, I've often said I'd like to see a caster hero version of the mortis engine.  But as it is, no.

That said, while I don't think they've been specifically shown, necromancers have been mentioned a few times in SG promortional material, and the new book is confirmed to maintain a whole separate lore for Deathmages, so shown or not they've effectively confirmed regardless.

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

Interesting rules take though. The new rules seem to promote a Multiple Medium Units of skeletons/zombies kind of play. Like MSU but MMU.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  The new endless legions only bringing back zombie/skeleton units at half strength to me sounds like you absolutely want to be deploying your infantry units at maximum strength, so that if you get any units back from endless legions they'll be good for more than chasing unclaimed objectives.

all i can see is Kastelai and improved blood knights, is there something else in the article? xD

Anyway, it is only me that finds a bit weird the black knights in LoB? Is this some old lahmia lore that i dont know about or?

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

all i can see is Kastelai and improved blood knights, is there something else in the article? xD

Anyway, it is only me that finds a bit weird the black knights in LoB? Is this some old lahmia lore that i dont know about or?

It's probably to do with Deathrattle(tm) kingdoms being independent, representing Neferata's realpolitik getting a lot of them dancing to her tune. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sception said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.  The new endless legions only bringing back zombie/skeleton units at half strength to me sounds like you absolutely want to be deploying your infantry units at maximum strength, so that if you get any units back from endless legions they'll be good for more than chasing unclaimed objectives.

That's definitely one take on it. It's not bad on hordes. But I could totally see having say 3 units of 20 (or even 30) skeletons, chucking them up the board with whatever movement shenanigans you can muster, then when they die bringing them back to babysit backfield objectives

It makes units of 20 skeletons go from being a non-threat to being a nuisance. 

You can use this rule either defensively or offensively, which dictates whether you'll be taking medium or large units, respectively.

1 minute ago, Liquidsteel said:

What makes you say that?

It's always been in 10's for hordes like this.

The increments in which units sizes are increased are generally in accordance with the amount of models in one box

Edit: Yet there are some exceptions especially for older boxes.

Edited by JackStreicher