Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Re. Vampire Lords, @Sception that's kind of my issue, GW had made them "alright" at everything. Which would be ok if we could customise them with a whole host of changes to really make a dedicated vampire. However since you can't pay points anymore for vampire powers and equipment and spells they hit about as hard as a human hero. 

If every vampire got to choose both a bloodline and a vampire power, on top of a trait and magical item, then I have nothing against the jack-of-all-trades baseline. But we need those two levels of customisation for that. 

For example, Bloodline might be: Blood Dragons - +1 to hit and +1 attack in combat 

Vampire Power: Quick blood - enemy units in combat with this unit can only be activated after this unit has been activated. 

And then raise the points cost by like 30-40 or something to balance out and make the vampire lord fair and balanced. 

However, if we don't get those two levels of customisation on VLs then they at least need to hit on 2+. Either way we need something other than what we have right now. 

• Like 2

I'm sure our vamps will be a lot stronger. Just compare a 140 point vampire lord on a horse to the 150 point vanari lord regent for lumineth, similar points, both a lord on a 'horse', vanari is better in combat, more wounds, better save, more spells to choose from and arguably better spells and better abilities, all for 10 points more.

I feel like it would be strange for a vampire lord to NOT be on par with that type of lord, if not even better.

Vampires have to be 6 wounds minimum, with a better save and better healing. They shouldn't be just as easy to kill as a human on foot.

I just really hope they haven't neglected them and left them as is due to the fact we are getting 10203022 new characters. (Not complaining, I actually love the new characters).

Edit: also bare in mind we are getting a new wight King, who will no doubt be much better than before, meaning (particularly if they keep mount option) vampires will be stronger too.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I definitely agree with the idea vampire lords should be stronger, and would be willing to pay more in points for that strength and/or more customization options.

I bought models in the wfb days but didn't start playing until AOS 2.0.  I think I just always had this idea in my head of Vampire Lords being rare but very powerful.

@flamingwalnut

Nothing too set in stone but I have some ideas about my army. Some basic thoughts for characters to lead the army. I used Inkarnate to make a map of the cheesily named Valley of Woe, a backwater area that was sacked and forgotten in the age of chaos, and only now starting to come back. My wife's Nighthaunts and my Ironjawz are also going to be tied to the area. 

If it's feasible I want to be able to field a wight king and skeleton + necromancer and zombie army as well as vamps.

Once the book's in my hands I hope to get a more concrete idea of where I'm going.

Are you planning to rework some fluff for your chacters for the new stuff?

Edited by Akylas
  • LOVE IT! 1

I don't think we will see customizable Vamps. Sadly. Because no army out there has any customisation (to my knowledge) that goes beyond a Warlord Trait, Artefact and maybe some bonus ability gained from their subculture. Worse yet that often a specific WT and artefact MUST be taken if you take clan/bloodline/subculte XY. 

I just hope that the bloodlines will get cool and good abilities without an autotake that trumphes all others.

Also I agree that Vamps should get stronger. Bump their points a bit and make them melee powerhouses. Hopefully GW will move away from giving every melee hero the same "3+ 3+ -1 D3 Dmg" statline. The Freeguild guy has it, my Loonboss has it, the Khorne Lord has it, our Vamps have it. Differentiate them! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Causalis said:

I don't think we will see customizable Vamps. Sadly. Because no army out there has any customisation (to my knowledge) that goes beyond a Warlord Trait, Artefact and maybe some bonus ability gained from their subculture. Worse yet that often a specific WT and artefact MUST be taken if you take clan/bloodline/subculte XY. 

I just hope that the bloodlines will get cool and good abilities without an autotake that trumphes all others.

Also I agree that Vamps should get stronger. Bump their points a bit and make them melee powerhouses. Hopefully GW will move away from giving every melee hero the same "3+ 3+ -1 D3 Dmg" statline. The Freeguild guy has it, my Loonboss has it, the Khorne Lord has it, our Vamps have it. Differentiate them! 

Mount traits are a level of customisation that some armies have so there's that. It's not wild to think that we could get vampire powers. 

GW just needs to pick one of those and go with it. Either give us extra levels of customisation or make the vampire lord warscroll stronger. Either is a fine path to take but staying as is would be disappointing.

• Like 1

Khornate Chaos Lords and Freeguild Generals have the same stats? Poor Khorne guys.

The guys from the Crimson Court set are on 32mm bases and gigantic (minus the winged guy), bigger by a head or more than any of the human gw models I own (bigger than Primaris Space Marines even). Assuming vampire lords are similarly sized they'll tower over the skellies and zombies in their armies.

Edited by Akylas
Fixing mistake re: base sizes.

7 hours ago, flamingwalnut said:

Whew, read through all the pages. Feels wild.

I am stoked for this army but a lot of the final "what do I WANT from this army" will rely on the rules and army composition. I love the 1 in 4 that they did with Cities and would to see that here in some subfactions or what have you. The breaking the Grand Alliance barrier by including Cities of Sigmar as a 1 in 4 or something would make for some GREAT conversion options.

It's funny, though. My first actual "purchased for AoS" and not a Fantasy carry over was Legions of Nagash. Bought Dragon Princes for Blood Knights and used Spiders from Spiderfang for my Dire Wolves. It was wild!

It was also my first major step into Narrative gaming for real. My Vampire Queen was from the Realm of Beasts and was eager to take back her kingdom from Chaos. Lots of Dragon themes and bestial magic. Was so much fun. It also makes me happy that I can lean into this theme even more with the Vykros!

I hope the Coven Throne is buffed and good. It is by far my favorite piece and almost had me starting Vampire Counts when it came out. So beautiful and would love to return to it and clean up the paintjob and maybe convert it some more!

What kind of narrative ideas and themes have you all made for your vampires before? Or are you starting fresh after tasting the new lore when the book drops?

Before monday i wanted to go for a all knightly army with skeleton warriors and black knights in bretonian style accompanied by the blood knights(grail knights) and a vampire as leader but after seeing the wolves and vykros i am thinking about a military force of the skeletons accompanied by the beastlike vampires who let the strategic stuff to the wight kings lot. I was always into wolves and i didnt expect the new range.. Was even consindering getting the goblin wolf riders but this is even better 😍 Looking forward to the new rules

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I am halway through of making two vengorian lords for my blood dragons themed army. I was really torn bethween having them ride something or having them be the big bat-dragon centaur monster so i decided i would do NEITHER. I made them to be big sneks with the clawed wings and a blood dragon lord torso stuck on top of the snek, kinda of like morathi.
I am fairly happy atm for how they are coming up 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Akylas said:

Khornate Chaos Lords and Freeguild Generals have the same stats? Poor Khorne guys.

The guys from the Crimson Court set are on 40mm bases and gigantic (minus the winged guy), bigger by a head or more than any of the human gw models I own (bigger than Primaris Space Marines even). Assuming vampire lords are similarly sized they'll tower over the skellies and zombies in their armies.

The crimson court models are on 32mms I think - same will be for vamp lords on foot 

• Like 1

To me the base represents the area of influence of a mini. The space where if you get within that area you are in danger. 

I'm In Danger - The Simpsons | Simpsons meme, Meme template, Simpsons funny

(Disclaimer: obviously this concept doesn't work for all units/minis)

• Haha 1