Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

28 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Also what if Vargheists feeding frenzy rule changed to allowing it to fight again if it killed a model. Either immediately, later in the combat phase or at the end of the combat phase. Would be a great blender against chaff. On top of that, their speed and fly would support them being pretty good shock troops.

Same, same. They do really need a boost. If they got anything like the levelling up Crypt Flayers got from book 1 to 2 I’d be chuffed. As it is, they are too fragile, difficult to heal and not really that outputty.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Same. Several times I've almost gone all in on Cities of Sigmar because of the 1 in 4 rule. I think it is REALLY cool. But I get drawn away by other projects. With the Broken Realms series I almost jumped in Cities but then I thought I'd wait until this week and sure enough with Gravelords coming sometime this month I'm once against pushing off Cities, if Gravelords were to have the 1 in 4 rule it would put the nail in the coffin (ha!) for me ever doing Cities of Sigmar.

Also what if Vargheists feeding frenzy rule changed to allowing it to fight again if it killed a model. Either immediately, later in the combat phase or at the end of the combat phase. Would be a great blender against chaff. On top of that, their speed and fly would support them being pretty good shock troops.

that would make them absolutely terrifying

I think a fight again on Vargheists would make them a bit too crazy. I think the concept of an extra attack per model killed is quite good, means they really benefit from going up against one wound hordes. It just needs to trigger on a lower roll, because currently it hardly ever happens. 

• Like 1

Agree - as they are except a 4+ and don’t specify per “model”. Just make it for the unit - I for one never make attacks per the models but by unit anyway (faster that way).

Edited by Lich King

4 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

yeah, the WC article said that Avengorii are the "we kill monsters and are cool" faction wich sounds very bloodknighty.
Also direwolves staying at 5 minimum is one of my greatest hopes

There are only 5 of them on this shot so its likely they come at a minimum of 5

fddd1f4.jpg

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

Ill have to do more research to see if the proportions match up but if they do then this is a mock up of what ill be doing with the new beastie. 😁

Probably use one of the new vamp hero sculpts as well. 

2078855295_Screenshot_20210507-113835_AutodeskSketchBook.jpg.f7de993fff1354bc4adb451babf5917a.jpg

Yes i was thinking some as that,use the spare terrorgheist head and use the legs of the spare manfred of the start collecting and then use the manfred legs with the torso of the vampire of the kit and mount him on the terror neck and so try fix the ugly original mini

Something as this i was thinking 

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4462893933723004&id=100000073254361&set=gm.2905000709747563&source=48&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6959604306833383470%3Amf_story_key.-7587643117786840436%3Agroup_id.1741158942798418%3Atop_level_post_id.2905000709747563%3Acontent_owner_id_new.100000073254361%3Apage_id.1741158942798418%3Asrc.22%3Aphoto_id.4462893933723004%3Astory_location.5%3Astory_attachment_style.photo%3Aview_time.1620409095%3Afilter.h_nor%3Atds_flgs.3%3Aott.AX8Z0fKrpONTyLwO&__tn__=EH-R

Edited by Doko

15 minutes ago, Doko said:

yeah that is my post xD
Anyway it was just an example, proportions will probably not be like i represented them in the picture.
I also grown to like the model even though i still am not sure if i want to ultimately convert it or not

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Thanks 1

ATTENTION EVERYONE, i might have found some lore on the Avengorii bloodline, i dont know how reliable Lexicanum is in the matter or if the article is old stuff but here it goes:

The Avengorii dynasty of Soulblight Vampires are found in the Sascathran Dunes in the Realm of Ghur[1]

They create Vargheist champions through the ritual of mas'ranga where the prospective champion is suspended above boiling blood until they are driven to transform into the powerful but beastial creatures and break their chains.[1]

Notable

Their Lords are both warriors and wizards, revelling in self-loathing. [2]

• Lauka Vai: Undisputed commander of the clan, she retains an aspect of noble knighthood although her dark thirst forces her to slaughter.
  • Vargheists are the bestial heart of the curse – huge bat winged abominations that are much larger than their civilised cousins – closer to the dark mirror of the Abhorrant Ghoul Kings. They do not sip the blood of the chosen from jewelled chalices, but rather tear their prey apart and lap up the spilled blood. Should a soulblight vampire go too long without blood, he or she may revert to this form and there is no way to return – some vampires impose this as a punishment on wayward kin. Yet even these monsters can be revered – as with the Avengorii Dynasty in the Realm of Ghur whose champions undergo the mas'ranga ritual willingly.  

i bet my blood that the ritual is the one that turns you into a Vangorian, wich is dope as hell

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

ATTENTION EVERYONE, i might have found some lore on the Avengorii bloodline, i dont know how reliable Lexicanum is in the matter or if the article is old stuff but here it goes:

The Avengorii dynasty of Soulblight Vampires are found in the Sascathran Dunes in the Realm of Ghur[1]

They create Vargheist champions through the ritual of mas'ranga where the prospective champion is suspended above boiling blood until they are driven to transform into the powerful but beastial creatures and break their chains.[1]

Notable

Their Lords are both warriors and wizards, revelling in self-loathing. [2]

• Lauka Vai: Undisputed commander of the clan, she retains an aspect of noble knighthood although her dark thirst forces her to slaughter.
  • Vargheists are the bestial heart of the curse – huge bat winged abominations that are much larger than their civilised cousins – closer to the dark mirror of the Abhorrant Ghoul Kings. They do not sip the blood of the chosen from jewelled chalices, but rather tear their prey apart and lap up the spilled blood. Should a soulblight vampire go too long without blood, he or she may revert to this form and there is no way to return – some vampires impose this as a punishment on wayward kin. Yet even these monsters can be revered – as with the Avengorii Dynasty in the Realm of Ghur whose champions undergo the mas'ranga ritual willingly.  

i bet my blood that the ritual is the one that turns you into a Vangorian, wich is dope as hell

I've read a lot of Lexicanum stuff, which is mostly 40k & old world. However I am interested where the Lauka Vai information along with the Avengorii originate from because I definitely don't remember reading about this in the past.

Also, do you have the link handy of the Avengorii. I cannot find it.

Edited by BaylorCorvette

36 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I've read a lot of Lexicanum stuff, which is mostly 40k & old world. However I am interested where the Lauka Vai information along with the Avengorii originate from because I definitely don't remember reading about this in the past.

Also, do you have the link handy of the Avengorii. I cannot find it.

yes, here you go https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Avengorii
the second bit about the vargheists is in the vampire page instead https://ageofsigmar.lexicanum.com/wiki/Vampire

• Like 1

Lists the legions of nagash battletome as a source.  Hrm...

Yup, there it is, page 29 of the codex, under the description of Vargheists, described specifically as an exception to most soulblight clans that treat transformation into a vargheist as a punishment and consider vargheists to be repugnant.  By contrast the Avengorii are described as considering the transformation to be an honor that some willingly and ritualistically submit themselves too.

I'm interested to see if the new, more detailed version of their lore maintains or reverses that detail.  In any event, it's a positive sign for those like myself who might want to pair Lauka Vai with an army of similarly twisted abominations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aturox said:

There are only 5 of them on this shot so its likely they come at a minimum of 5

fddd1f4.jpg

Pretty sure most monstrous infantry comes in 3’s, no? Might get reading a bit too much into that photo... plus they are sold in dual FEC kit boxes of 3, so 🥺

5 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

Pretty sure most monstrous infantry comes in 3’s, no? Might get reading a bit too much into that photo... plus they are sold in dual FEC kit boxes of 3, so 🥺

That comment was about dire wolves.

46 minutes ago, Nactigal said:

I'm excited to see people's new armies and painted miniatures. Should we start a thread for that?

Sounds good, I think I'll document my army progress on my instagram and I'll drop the occasional picture here and there if people are interested.

I'm trying a completely different take on painting than I have before, going quite sketchy and not clean, a bit more abstract. It's working though I'm a bit slow at it for now. 

• Like 1

Ive been thinking of ways to spruce up the Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon kit if the warscroll is solid. I was thinking to have a crypt on the base for the dragon to be standing on and then have Prince Duvalle on the base representing the Vampire Lord. I am thinking about buying the Mausoleum kit from GW or maybe just 3D Printing one but I am going to wait on the warscroll ☺️. I am really hoping Radukar is an absolute SAVAGE in combat and I can use him as a hammer and his Babushka is also solid.

Any ideas for what we may see to help combat the Super Caster and Shooting Meta? I am hoping Fell Bats can almost act as Aetherwings but for shooting or have some sort of "Forgotten Nightmares" Deepkin rule where if they are closer to the enemy unit they must be shot first. I am not a rules writer but something to help against the powerful shooting running around. Also, a way to avoid all the crazy dispelling :).

Edited by NicholasFlamelGames

7 hours ago, NicholasFlamelGames said:

Ive been thinking of ways to spruce up the Vampire Lord on Zombie dragon kit if the warscroll is solid. I was thinking to have a crypt on the base for the dragon to be standing on and then have Prince Duvalle on the base representing the Vampire Lord. I am thinking about buying the Mausoleum kit from GW or maybe just 3D Printing one but I am going to wait on the warscroll ☺️. I am really hoping Radukar is an absolute SAVAGE in combat and I can use him as a hammer and his Babushka is also solid.

Any ideas for what we may see to help combat the Super Caster and Shooting Meta? I am hoping Fell Bats can almost act as Aetherwings but for shooting or have some sort of "Forgotten Nightmares" Deepkin rule where if they are closer to the enemy unit they must be shot first. I am not a rules writer but something to help against the powerful shooting running around. Also, a way to avoid all the crazy dispelling :).

Flag of blood keep on everything! (4+ ward save against all shooting attacks in oldhammer)

• Like 1