Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Just now, Liquidsteel said:

My day one preorder will likely include the models I like and/or am confident will be used in play.

I already have enough Death to cover a 2k legion of blood/nagash so not in need of all of it.

I'm expecting to be ordering 3 boxes of zombies, a box of blood knights (could end up meh but I want 5 just to paint anyway) and the limited edition book, plus hopefully the Vengorian Lord.

New dire wolves are nice, though I already have 10 fenrisian wolves and I'll wait and see how Radukar/Belladamma end up rules wise, though I reckon I'll get one of everything just for the collection eventually.

Same here. This is something that's nice about Gravelords being an LoN update.

I expect myself to get a bunch of the smaller Vyrkos heroes day 1. Because even in the worst case, those guys will see use in DnD or similar games. I also want a manageably sized Gravelords force that plays very differently from my current Deathrattle LoN list, so that will likely be either Blood Knight or critter centric. Which one of those I end up building entirely depends on the rules, though.

30 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I just hope we get some rules previews soon so that I can start brewing lists. That's what will ultimately decide which models I get for me.

New WD's battle report should tell us something about how they play, if nothing's been teased by then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lare2 said:

New WD's battle report should tell us something about how they play, if nothing's been teased by then. 

Good thinking! The new Anvil of Apotheosis supplement might also contain some more tidbits, like The Hunger being buffed to heal 1d3 as we already saw.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Good thinking! The new Anvil of Appotheosis supplement might also contain some more tidbits, like The Hunger being buffed to heal 1d3 as we already saw.

When about does the WD come out? After all May White Dwarf and we're 6 days into May already ;) 

Yeah when is the WD out? I have the subscription and it usually arrives on a Tuesday, hope it's next week.

I've also realised I can likely proxy 60 Ghouls as zombies, at least initially, so can focus initial hobby on the heroes.

• Like 2

Aye, I've a subscription as well. As soon as it lands (normally a week or so before official release), I'll happily share pics and whatnot. 

After a quick Google search, the best I could find is that release for WD is the 3rd Friday of the month. 

Edited by lare2
  • Thanks 1

From this BoLS article: 

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2021/05/games-workshop-rumor-engines-where-are-they-now-may-2020-edition.html

The sword and pose, with the vampiric arm, seem to line up a bit too well with the art on the CC map. 

Plus, it's totally feasible that it would be on a Blood-Born model. 

That said, I'm not saying that we are getting Blood-Born models in the battletome as vampire infantry (though it would be the best thing ever), but maybe this rumour engine is from a planned CC expansion? 

_20210506_131213.JPG

_20210506_131144.JPG

_20210506_131248.JPG

Edited by Aren73
Added link

13 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

From this BoLS article: 

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2021/05/games-workshop-rumor-engines-where-are-they-now-may-2020-edition.html

The sword and pose, with the vampiric arm, seem to line up a bit too well with the art on the CC map. 

Plus, it's totally feasible that it would be on a Blood-Born model.

That said, I'm not saying that we are getting Blood-Born models in the battletome as vampire infantry (though it would be the best thing ever), but maybe this rumour engine is from a planned CC expansion?

This one is an interesting case to me. The pose lines up perfectly with the Cursed City art, but the sword in the art is different from the one in the Rumour Engine and more closely matches the one on the Bloodborn miniatures that are already out. The hand and arm in the Rumour Engine are also significantly more muscular than any of the Bloodborn we have seen. When this Rumour Engine was shown originally, people speculated that it might be Flesh Eater Courts. I think that still seems possible. The pitted sword is Death for sure.

As for Cursed City expansions, we have heard a lot of speculation about what models may or may not have originally been intended for use in Cursed City. I don't find it obvious that any of the Vyrkos heroes were, personally. They are all on weird bases and have never (even when they were originally introduced) been presented as anything other than AoS minis. Maybe the Gravelords battletome will give us some more insight, though. If it mentions Radukar the Beast and the mysterious events that happen at the end of Cursed City in any significant capacity, for example, I'd be inclined to think that the plan was always to use Cursed City to set these characters up in the world, but then properly integrate them into AoS later.

2 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

This one is an interesting case to me. The pose lines up perfectly with the Cursed City art, but the sword in the art is different from the one in the Rumour Engine and more closely matches the one on the Bloodborn miniatures that are already out. The hand and arm in the Rumour Engine are also significantly more muscular than any of the Bloodborn we have seen. When this Rumour Engine was shown originally, people speculated that it might be Flesh Eater Courts. I think that still seems possible. The pitted sword is Death for sure.

As for Cursed City expansions, we have heard a lot of speculation about what models may or may not have originally been intended for use in Cursed City. I don't find it obvious that any of the Vyrkos heroes were, personally. They are all on weird bases and have never (even when they were originally introduced) been presented as anything other than AoS minis. Maybe the Gravelords battletome will give us some more insight, though. If it mentions Radukar the Beast and the mysterious events that happen at the end of Cursed City in any significant capacity, for example, I'd be inclined to think that the plan was always to use Cursed City to set these characters up in the world, but then properly integrate them into AoS later.

I agree on the sword, though I don't think the musculature is that much different. More defined for sure but that might just be the process of exaggeration from turning art to models. 

I don't think it was meant to be a 1:1 carryover, just an artistic hint. 

What would be really interesting would be if this was a Cursed City expansion which was teased, however in the meantime due to supply issues Cursed City expansions got cancelled, leaving this as a kit, designed and produced, without a release. 

Maybe GW has a bunch of new vampire models sitting around in a warehouse that no-one knows about... ;) 

I mentioned this Rumour Engine and the image around the full reveal but was told it was the bloodborne models, which it technically is but having another look that's not any of the 3 from CC.

There are two additional Bloodborne on Radukar the Beasts base, one which is kneeling with a sword balanced that way, but I don't think it lines up with the rumour engine exactly, and the pommel/grip is different.

This Rumour Engine is something different, I think.

Either an unreleased Bloodborne Hero from a canned expansion or something different indeed. 

Something just occurred to me. 

What's funny is that we'll likely have the coven throne in the book. Which is carried by a host of spirits. Ghosts. But we apparently won't get any ghosts in the book. 

Like ah yes, the vampires can afford to pay the desolate spirits for their manual labour but they're a bit too skint to pay them to fight xD

Love it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

Something just occurred to me. 

What's funny is that we'll likely have the coven throne in the book. Which is carried by a host of spirits. Ghosts. But we apparently won't get any ghosts in the book. 

Like ah yes, the vampires can afford to pay the desolate spirits for their manual labour but they're a bit too skint to pay them to fight xD

Love it. 

The Nighthaunt unionized for better working conditions, which didn't amuse the aristocratic vampires.

• Haha 2

I know that tastes are personal.......but the new centerpiece is UGLY.

I mean,a vampire centaur could be cool,but this mini have been designed by a kid? Seems only two diferent units,and then glue the torso in the head place of the monster.

It havent cohesion and is ugly and bad designed.

I was going to start my first non order army with the vampires.......but betwen this ugly thing and the non existent vampires on foot unit its likely i gonna start sylvaneths or only buy vampires and ignore the ugly thing new model

• Haha 2

I think the reason the vampire centaur looks so off, is that the whole human torso is armored and this contrasts too much with the bare monstrous lower half. If there was less armor on the upper half and the transition of the two halves was visible in the flesh, it would look much better imho.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me the concept isnt bad.

But have been designed as two diferent units and then glued together and not designed as a single model seems to me.

The first to me that makes him ugly are the shoulders of th monster,every centaur havent shoulders,so seems the torso is a extension of the monster torso. Bu this mini with the shoulders of the monster seems only a torso in place of the head

16 minutes ago, Doko said:

I know that tastes are personal.......but the new centerpiece is UGLY.

I mean,a vampire centaur could be cool,but this mini have been designed by a kid? Seems only two diferent units,and then glue the torso in the head place of the monster.

It havent cohesion and is ugly and bad designed.

I was going to start my first non order army with the vampires.......but betwen this ugly thing and the non existent vampires on foot unit its likely i gonna start sylvaneths or only buy vampires and ignore the ugly thing new model

conversions are a thing but sure, getting turned down by a single model is rather common nowdays

8 minutes ago, Doko said:

To me the concept isnt bad.

But have been designed as two diferent units and then glued together and not designed as a single model seems to me.

The first to me that makes him ugly are the shoulders of th monster,every centaur havent shoulders,so seems the torso is a extension of the monster torso. Bu this mini with the shoulders of the monster seems only a torso in place of the head

Centaurs are half man half horse, every centaur has shoulders, then the 'man' section is where the horses head and neck would be. Literally every centaur has two 'torsos'.

Edited by Ghoooouls
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ghoooouls said:

Centaurs are half man half horse, every centaur has shoulders, then the 'man' section is where the horses head and neck would be. Literally every centaur has two 'torsos'.

but hey have just one neck.

Also, how this creature is suppose to move? Can it fly? if so, what happen to the upper torso? just flipping around?

Do it walk? can't imagine this creature walking in their nuckles or palms without being pricked by their own "wings".

Maybe if the designer just make the lower torso to be some armour as well it may not look like two differents models just glued together.

mother of nonsense.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

While that's quite amusing I do quite like the fact that the creature isn't optimised for walking or battle. In much the same way that the Varghulf couldn't possibly fly, not with those wings. 

To me it bounds forward in leaps and stumbles. It moves in a jittery, awkward kind of way but with a freakish, unnatural power to its moves. 
Imagine something along the lines of the Bloodborne Gargoyle:

The Vengorian Lord is meant to be a messed up creature, I can imagine the vampire trying to keep a semblance of nobility, decorum and honour even as its lower half warps and changes beyond recognition. 

If you think it looks painful then good, it's meant to. 

• Like 8

If it has the bloodborne enemy's ability to instantly teleport your neck into its mouth when it clips you with an invisible corner of its borken hit box during any part of its alleged grab attack then it could be a terrifying foe indeed.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sception said:

If it has the bloodborne enemy's ability to instantly teleport your neck into its mouth whenever it clips you with an invisible corner of its borken hit box during any part of its alleged grab attack then it could be a terrifying foe indeed.

haha well it's hard to find a good, short clip of a bloodborne enemy that isn't part of some long playthrough, the main idea is there though :P

54 minutes ago, Sception said:

If it has the bloodborne enemy's ability to instantly teleport your neck into its mouth when it clips you with an invisible corner of its borken hit box during any part of its alleged grab attack then it could be a terrifying foe indeed.

I think that's a bloodline ability in the new book, the Janklords.

1 hour ago, Aren73 said:

While that's quite amusing I do quite like the fact that the creature isn't optimised for walking or battle. In much the same way that the Varghulf couldn't possibly fly, not with those wings. 

To me it bounds forward in leaps and stumbles. It moves in a jittery, awkward kind of way but with a freakish, unnatural power to its moves. 
Imagine s

The Vengorian Lord is meant to be a messed up creature, I can imagine the vampire trying to keep a semblance of nobility, decorum and honour even as its lower half warps and changes beyond recognition. 

If you think it looks painful then good, it's meant to. 

Yeah definitely this last paragraph. I like d the model so much more once I figured the concept out. Soulblight vampires are horrific beasts that show a form that they believe is their true self.

They are in fact delusional really and these Vengorians I would imagine can't actually hide this part of shifting nightmare monstrosity that they actually are. This video s the best they can muster.

Also think of seeing these reading up in front of you, Intelligent, blood thirsty and almost animal. It is nightmare fuel that people have said!

• Like 2