Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Definitely appreciate your optimism @warhammernerd and there are certainly things to celebrate if you like the art direction they landed on. Only a few things I take issue with really:

2 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

So, you are also making some HUGE and quite negative assumptions without seeing any rules as to why taking named characters is actually a bad thing. They might be excellent buff pieces and my guess based of recent trends, is that they will be impactful and characterful. So, if I may be so bold chill your boots a bit there cowboy. 

Named characters have almost been across the board not competitively viable outside centerpiece models like Archaon, Nagash, etc. Not impossible that GW bucked the trend this time around but just saying historically that isn't the case.

3 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

As to your point about taking the whole crew of villains from cursed city, that’s a good call. It stops scalpers, which are a menace that’s the first thing. It makes cherry picking things from an otherwise hard to find box also much harder to do. And, REALLY, pretty much all characters from the Warhammer quest games are sub-par in AoS, they are supposed to be. Otherwise they are introducing a very expensive pay to play bar which is unfair. You should, rather than moan about that see it as a nice flavourful and thematic addition to your army. I am fortunate enough to have one and I absolutely LOVE that I can have Radukar and his cronies pre-cursed city, or him on his own hench style after the adventurers failed to kill him. That is totally rad. Literally one of the coolest things they have done in a while.

This is great if you have Cursed City I guess, but considering the supply issues, nobody wins. Either the CCC (Cursed City Circus) is strong enough to play, and the many people who didn't get a copy are screwed. Or the CCC are bad and your models aren't actually as versatile as advertised. Personally, the flexibility of being able to take models piecemeal would have been my preferred direction.

5 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

I have never wanted elite footmen, that’s not why I play this army and never has been. I’m sorry if this sounds mean, but if that’s what you want, play another army maybe? Paint them up as undead?

Just a difference in an opinion, but I would consider how you would feel if they had made SLG primarily elite vampire footmen and I said to you "maybe you should play OBR instead?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

WE WERE NEVER GOING TO GET VAMPIRE INFANTRYORSKELETON ARCHERSORVAMPIRATESORABHORASHPLEASECHANGETERECORD

I mean yeah hindsight is 20/20 lol No need to yell at the people who are bummed that GW didn't go that direction.

• Like 1

Those resculpt are amazing. I'm really pumped. Only the generic - dragon-bat-vampire is a bit meh to me. I'll probably run the named one and count her as the generic instead.

I don't know which side I'll go first...nightmare horrors or barbarians wolves...with semi- armoured vampire with furs on thunderwolves conversion to make things right 😁.

In a way I'm still not hyped as I was for the OBR because, to me, there is something missing to this release...like...I really miss those feral vampires unit..and endless spells and terrain. But maybe we get them along the way like earlier than we might think and not with a new battletome (seriously I don't care if they're not in it..i just want them...warscrolls are free). And maybe too much named characters that would have been cool if not named but that's a minor concern compared to my previous point in my opinion.

I'll probably end up getting them on release day...if Blood knight boxes are not priced 80€ 😁

Edited by Harioch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, relic456 said:

Definitely appreciate your optimism @warhammernerd and there are certainly things to celebrate if you like the art direction they landed on. Only a few things I take issue with really:

Named characters have almost been across the board not competitively viable outside centerpiece models like Archaon, Nagash, etc. Not impossible that GW bucked the trend this time around but just saying historically that isn't the case.

This is great if you have Cursed City I guess, but considering the supply issues, nobody wins. Either the CCC (Cursed City Circus) is strong enough to play, and the many people who didn't get a copy are screwed. Or the CCC are bad and your models aren't actually as versatile as advertised. Personally, the flexibility of being able to take models piecemeal would have been my preferred direction.

Just a difference in an opinion, but I would consider how you would feel if they had made SLG primarily elite vampire footmen and I said to you "maybe you should play OBR instead?"

You are wrong about cursed city.

It’s a stand alone narrative board game with a nice tie in to this army.

Not sure if you noticed this small thing called Coronvirus, Brexit or the Suez Canal? But these games are always snapped up quick, and because of exactly that issue, they aren’t meant to be MUST HAVES for AoS. They are a nice flavourful extra, if you have it great. If not, your not missing out, not competitively anyway. I think we can all agree that there hasn’t been a rule or model historically in Warhammer quest which has been so crucial to own that you lose without it. The rules from the boxed games are usually dilute vanilla versions of the battletomes. And like I said, if you are the sort of trouser monkey that bought cursed city in the hope to get an edge on people in AoS, you are frankly a tool.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, relic456 said:

But they didn’t, and I was pretty confident based on the skeletons, zombies, wight king and blood knights that the CORE of the army was staying exactly the same.

• Confused 2

I'd be surprised if the bloodborn from cursed city don't get added and points added in to SB, they are literally on one of our new characters' model (radukar). Moreover we have the vyrkos dynasty confirmed and expanded, why not include the vyrkos blood born?

Either way, we have tons of new updated sculpts and new models, it's amazing.

Can't wait to see the rules! For those who don't like the vampire/dragon/bat thing characters, super good size for a vamp on abyssal terror conversion/stand-in, which is what I'll be doing for the generic version ad he's the only new model I'm not that keen on.

I dunno maybe I've just learned over the years to keep expectations I check and I was super excited just for new rules and a new lord or two, but I'm super happy with our release.

Edited by Ghoooouls

Let's call a spade a spade. 

5/12 - almost half of our new releases are named characters. Does anyone here actually like running multiple named characters in their lists? 

The rest of our releases are resculpts. Which is great and all, however only the fell bats and zombies were screaming for a resculpt, the rest were ok for now. I like the new models, they're pretty but I feel like they could have planned the release better. 

That doesn't mean that we're a bad faction! Our 2012 release was so good that we have plenty of flavourful, gorgeous models to fall back on. However, that doesn't make this release amazing. It's simply ok, it's alright. 

@warhammernerd - it's really tiring when people try to shut down honest and genuine critique. Games Workshop doesn't produce pure gold all the time, some of their releases are better than others, it's ok for other people to think that this release is one of the lackluster ones. 

I am still HYPED for the faction, I can't wait to run my surrealist, bat inspired vampire force. But that doesn't mean that I don't see flaws with their release. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

Let's call a spade a spade. 

5/12 - almost half of our new releases are named characters. Does anyone here actually like running multiple named characters in their lists? 

The rest of our releases are resculpts. Which is great and all, however only the fell bats and zombies were screaming for a resculpt, the rest were ok for now. I like the new models, they're pretty but I feel like they could have planned the release better. 

That doesn't mean that we're a bad faction! Our 2012 release was so good that we have plenty of flavourful, gorgeous models to fall back on. However, that doesn't make this release amazing. It's simply ok, it's alright. 

@warhammernerd - it's really tiring when people try to shut down honest and genuine critique. Games Workshop doesn't produce pure gold all the time, some of their releases are better than others, it's ok for other people to think that this release is one of the lackluster ones. 

I am still HYPED for the faction, I can't wait to run my surrealist, bat inspired vampire force. But that doesn't mean that I don't see flaws with their release. 

I'd argue we needed blood knights and a non-failcast vampire lord more than zombies, but to be fair I'd have been happy with just updated rules and a couple of resculpts. Maybe I'm too easy to please lol

Edited by Ghoooouls

10 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

What a bunch of moaning old sods.

Well, I think that went rather well... some people happy, only few devestated and crying (I feel your pain, Aborash the fleet captain was a dream 🤣)

I like what I saw, Radukar and his mommy from the prussian wasteland, pretty nice.

I‘m not digging the human centipede, but conversion or proxy 😇

• Like 2

I can honestly understand people who don't like the new hybrid vampires. It's such a weird and over the top concept, you'll love it or hate it..maybe both 😄.

And it was a huge hyped release. A lot of people waited for vampires to come. As much as old "high elves" and "dark elves" fan. Not all expectations were to be fullfilled, hence a bit of disapointment. Even me. Endless spells, terrain, feral vampires and Vargskyr missing...(and I still want blood knight on foot for a Chosen-Brutes-Eradicator type of unit in SBGL).

But after all I'm still happy and amazed by what I've seen.

1 minute ago, Ghoooouls said:

I'd argue we needed blood knights and a non-failcast vampire lord more than zombies, but to be fair I'd have been happy with just updated rules and a couple of resculpts. Maybe I'm too easy to please lol

Ah you're right, Blood Knights also needed resculpts 100%. 

Really, the resculpts are not my issue with this release, they bring those units up to speed with the rest. 

I do just wish we didn't get so many named characters. I'd happily sacrifice Anika, Belladamma and Radukar the Beast for one new vampiric unit like the Bloodborn. 

If it was up to me I'd have probably done the resculpts as is, also had a new kit for Grave Guard, ditched the above mentioned named characters, kept Lauka and the Vengorian Lord and added just one new unit. 

This would bring the release from a 7/10 to an 8-9/10 for me. 

I don't get the feeling that people are hating this release, rather I think the general feeling is "it's ok, it's a bit meh, probably not as good a release as Lumineth or OBR". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aren73 said:

I don't get the feeling that people are hating this release, rather I think the general feeling is "it's ok, it's a bit meh, probably not as good a release as Lumineth or OBR". 

Now that you mentionned it, maybe this release lacked a big "Oompf" effect. Putting aside the ladies of nightmare and characters, there was nothing "new". A tons of good resculpts, like Blood knights which the community were asking for ages, sure. But no new concept/unit or big behemoth.

I know we already have one or two big models (terrogheist and throne) but they are not new releases, hence loosing the effect. And the hybrid vampire, by the concept, divide people.

I put aside characters because they are seen as great release when they come by one or two once in a while. But when you got 5 new one in a row it feels saturated by it. And maybe Soulblights will have a lot of characters to make the army functionnal, but others enjoy units more.

Anyway this was my TED talk on why this release maybe seen as "ok" to some. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harioch said:

Now that you mentionned it, maybe this release lacked a big "Oompf" effect. Putting aside the ladies of nightmare and characters, there was nothing "new". A tons of good resculpts, like Blood knights which the community were asking for ages, sure. But no new concept/unit or big behemoth.

I know we already have one or two big models (terrogheist and throne) but they are not new releases, hence loosing the effect. And the hybrid vampire, by the concept, divide people.

I put aside characters because they are seen as great release when they come by one or two once in a while. But when you got 5 new one in a row it feels saturated by it. And maybe Soulblights will have a lot of characters to make the army functionnal, but others enjoy units more.

Anyway this was my TED talk on why this release maybe seen as "ok" to some. 

I think you're right, for example if Vargheists had been in this release I'd have been much more excited. 

But also, for me in particular, the new Blood Knights are...7/10. They're better than the old ones for sure. But they could have done with slightly chonkier armour and big fur cloaks, sort of like this image: 

I'll feel much better once I come up with some fur for them xD

eFnLHkIqhijotsgZ.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

@Aren73 If it makes you feel any better, I feel your pain.  I've been a high elf player for 25 years.  I was beyond stoked when the initial Lumineth rumors came out.....until they stopped, and half the army were cow heads, with more named characters than not, and no warrior characters.  I bought the initial box, but what little if the army there was, and the cow heads, killed my enthusiasm. Luckily, the second wave gave us models I do like, enough to ignore the parts that aren't for me.

All I can say is, if there are parts you like, collect and paint those.  And hold out hope they may add stuff you do like!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, warhammernerd said:

72AA95DB-A538-40D4-9C7B-F9376F7318DF.jpeg

6394ABF9-D0C8-4F80-803E-44075D7C44E1.jpeg

"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities… Unto my experience, Aldaris, all that you’ve built here on Aiur is but a fleeting dream. A dream from which your precious Conclave shall awaken, finding themselves drowned in a greater nightmare."

Edited by Thalassic Monstrosity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1