Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

So long as we have something akin to Vampiric powers (and bloodline bonuses through subfaction stuff) I'll be happy, vampires and chaos lords with all their gifts really felt they were beyond normal humans back in the day (i know they'd cost a shedload more points). I miss that.

Edited by El Syf

I also prefer the more open, individualistic approach.  The bloodline approach had a tendency to make every vampire in a bloodline the same, and in AoS that kind of redundancy is likely to result in discouraging you from taking multiple vampire heroes in your army.  I do expect we'll see bloodlines as the new subfactions, but I hope they supplement rather than replace an already broad system of default vampyric powers, and that the extra rules from your bloodline or dynasty aren't so focused or heavy handed as to restrict your vampires to a particular build type or play style.

But we'll see.  Won't bother me too much either way.  I'm a big fan of wights, necromancers, and whatever that cursed city grave digger dude is, so I'm not likely to be fielding more than one or two vampire heroes at a time regardless.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

Sin or bin guy, that’s the Q? Whose writing this one?

based on the release timing I guess bin guy although I could be wrong as who knows when they actually wrote the rules for the Lumineth stuff. I don't care either way. If anything I feel that "bin" guy internally balances his books better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I would suspect that Bloodlines will be the subfactions of the Gravelords. Vampiric Powers I would assume will either be slotted under an Artefact table or potentially a specific table like how Mount Traits/Great Endrinworks work.

Making them work like Endrinworks but specifically for Vampires would actually be pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Sception said:

The bloodline approach had a tendency to make every vampire in a bloodline the same,

Not so sure about that. I hope they implement some kind of bloodlines and a Choice of Special abilities that come with that choice. And no necrach wields his sword like a blooddragon... and maybe the Duke and Count show the Baron how things are done. Not as a family, more like a calling/ chosen path.

then of course you’ll get a competitive set up, (Necromancer with overwhelming dread?!) but that is the way of the WAAC.

think about giving your army a general direction with a dynasty, from knights to magic to vermin and rabble, then sprinkle in some flavor... with complementary „allies“.

Duke Mastercaster leads his shambling minions, while Baron Mincedmeat is there for the tricky bits...

Countess Slicerdicer rides for bloody vengeance, while her sexy assassin earl from handsome takes care of business and Necromancer van der Vanfun manages the minions...

that is my dream ⚰️ 😴 💭 🧛🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Honk

42 minutes ago, Honk said:

Not so sure about that. I hope they implement some kind of bloodlines and a Choice of Special abilities that come with that choice. And no necrach wields his sword like a blooddragon...

While we are expecting bloodlines (or "dynasties") as the subfactions, we're not expecting /the same/ bloodlines as before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sception said:

While we are expecting bloodlines (or "dynasties") as the subfactions, we're not expecting /the same/ bloodlines as before.

I expect AoSified lahmians and von carsteins for mannfred and neffy but I expect any others we get will be AoS original. I also expect they'll take the lazy compromise on vampire customization and have vampires receive  their dynasty bonus plus a mount/monster trait style rule of our choice. Possibly with the same lame one trait per battalion restriction a lot of armies with such rules get.

2 hours ago, Feii said:

The only thing I want is no Bin writer for the battletome, the Cursed city vampire warscrolls make me anxious. 

I don't want Gravelords to be a dumpster fire and super underpowered but I also don't want them at LRL levels of cheese. I agree the way some of the warscrolls for the Cursed City models are written are worrisome, however I do not know if that is a good representation of what is actually to come in Gravelords book and proper warscrolls since most warscrolls for the models that come in from other games are usually not so great. But there is so much potential to make Gravelords so cool that my fear is that it is going to fail to deliver and it is just going to be an updated LoN book.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I don't want Gravelords to be a dumpster fire and super underpowered but I also don't want them at LRL levels of cheese. I agree the way some of the warscrolls for the Cursed City models are written are worrisome, however I do not know if that is a good representation of what is actually to come in Gravelords book and proper warscrolls since most warscrolls for the models that come in from other games are usually not so great. But there is so much potential to make Gravelords so cool that my fear is that it is going to fail to deliver and it is just going to be an updated LoN book.

I had money to get into Slaanesh in a big way because it is my favourite Chaos God - well what do you know.  I hope the awesome blood knights have more than 2 paragraphs of rule one of it being  about the flag bearer

1 minute ago, Feii said:

I had money to get into Slaanesh in a big way because it is my favourite Chaos God - well what do you know.  I hope the awesome blood knights have more than 2 paragraphs of rule one of it being  about the flag bearer

I genuinely hope (and believe) that Blood Knights should be somewhere between the eliteness of Varanguard and then more standard cavalry like Chaos Knights. So something like a 3+ save, and good attack profile. 3 or maybe 4 wounds per model. However, maybe not as many special abilities as Varanguard. However what I expect is that they will be more closely alignment to Chaos Knights, which is a shame. Not that Chaos Knights are bad or anything, but Vampires should be more elite than your standard Chaos Mortal warrior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sception said:

we're not expecting /the same/ bloodlines as before.

True thing... and I‘m torn between the love for oldhammer and the old fluff (which is dead and gone) and the new approach. 
although till now we‘ve seen only the rat prince as a lookout for the new dynasties and I am a bit scared if dumbsterfire guy is in charge

well, Hope and pray to Nagash for cool and mighty rules

4 minutes ago, Mosquito onthe TenthFloor said:

Whats the speculation on release date? I'm a long term undead fan and highly likely to buy this book and actually play some AOS accordingly.

I've mentioned it before but I expect sometime early May. My reasoning:

-A lot of the stuff we have been anticipating for AoS has been released

-Cursed City is up for preorder

-LRL 2nd wave is out

-BR: Teclis is out

-Also there seems to be a Vampire theme in April (which I agree could mean nothing for Gravelords)

-Cursed City

-The Crimson Court warband is up for preorder this coming weekend.

-We have seen the Soulblight Gravelords battletome cover, and several new models/sculpts for that army.

-The only thing we know that is coming for AoS besides Gravelords, is BR Be'lakor and BR Kragos.

Also it seems like GW releases as a whole are speeding up.

Edited by BaylorCorvette

2 minutes ago, Mosquito onthe TenthFloor said:

Whats the speculation on release date? I'm a long term undead fan and highly likely to buy this book and actually play some AOS accordingly.

Hard to say when It will drop. 

When know that GW usually starts showing stuff 2-4 months before release, but the current Covid situation may mess with that. 

Personally, I think May or June seems likely, considering the rumors of third Edition dropping this summer. 

3 minutes ago, Sception said:

The case for May is pretty strong, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

The other issue is we don't really want to be an edition closer. Depsite every time they have said an army book, codex or battletome that comes out very near to the end of an edition was made with the next edition in mind; it never is.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, El Syf said:

The other issue is we don't really want to be an edition closer. Depsite every time they have said an army book, codex or battletome that comes out very near to the end of an edition was made with the next edition in mind; it never is.

Fact. However, I would wager there is a very good chance Gravelords comes out before 3.0 OR at the very least it was written prior to 3.0 release. We know COVID messed up releases and pushed things back, so I would wager without COVID, Gravelords would have been released by now but 3.0 would not have. So I think we are going to be on the short end of the stick, so to speak. However my hope is that going from 2.0 to 3.0 won't be a HUGE change, just minor tweaks and thus making our Battletome not a repeat problem of LoN coming out right around 2.0.