Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

14 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I don't know how much bigger they are as opposed to just way more upright. The old VC range are all totally hunched over. It actually looks like they reduced the "heroic-scale" overscaling on the hands, which is nice.

I'd like to see them next to some of the more upright regular skeletons. I think GG are more hunched in general compared to the regulars. 

I do think it will be possible to use the old ones, maybe raised a bit with some cork slabs if your scene is a stickler for LoS issues.

hopefully there’s still a bit more we don’t know about yet, I mean we know there’s almost certainly a terrain piece and endless spells but there’s got to be a centrepiece model right?

mounted vampire lord too is surely a must...

28 minutes ago, El Syf said:

hopefully there’s still a bit more we don’t know about yet, I mean we know there’s almost certainly a terrain piece and endless spells but there’s got to be a centrepiece model right?

mounted vampire lord too is surely a must...

My hope is, yes there is still a bit to come and that GW just confirmed the existence of Gravelords by showing updated sculpts of existing models and then when it gets a lot closer to release they come out with the brand new stuff, be it a single model/unit or a handful of models/units. I wouldn't be completely shocked if we didn't get BOTH a terrain piece and endless spells, but it would surprise me if we got neither. Maybe there is a center piece model but maybe not. We already have the VLoZD, Coven Throne and Mannfred & Neferata as "center pieces." However, I would love a new model similar to Katakros or Glutos.

My fear is, we might get the Cities of Sigmar or Warclans treatment, in that we are getting a new book with update warscrolls, abilities, etc. It wouldn't be the end of the world though because the new Blood Knight, Skeleton & Zombie sculpts are all amazing as is the Crimson Court which make for great Vampire Lords. In addition, if the warscrolls for the Vargheists and a few other LoN things are decent then we really don't NEED more models. However, I do genuinely hope we get some cool new things that we haven't seen before.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lare2 said:

All I want to see is a release date!

My guess is first half of May. It seems GW's releases are speeding up. Cursed City is already out, BR: Teclis and the rest of the LRL line is already out. The "big" weekend previews have been Jan 23, Feb 20 & Mar 20. I am betting we see another "big" weekend preview April 17 (possibly 24), that's either going to be more Soulblight Gravelords info or more BR: Be'lakor info, or both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

My guess is still preorder in late october, release in november.  I don't think we'll see them until after belakor, kragnos, a bunch of 40k stuff, and maybe 3rd edition aos.  Would be happy to be wrong, though.

OBR was also released around that time, so that would make roughly 2 years since the last death armies release. I'm certainly hoping for a sooner release though. 

On 4/4/2021 at 11:29 AM, Paladin of Khorne said:

As long as vampire lords have high strength and speed reflected in their rules I will be satisfied. Differing bloodline powers and upgrades would be icing on the cake, a la 5/6th edition Vampire Counts book. The soulblight vampires as they are now are kind of underwhelming; they have to be updated in the new tome, they just have to be haha.

One of the things that impressed me about AoS 1.0 was GWs ability to nerf down vampires while buffing the chaff.  With how AoS 2.x has been power-creeping so many other units I’m not sure they can upgrade skeletons and zombies to the new normal without them looking ridiculous when compared to Cities of Sigmar base troops.  So the idea of Making-Vampires-Great-Again is very appealing.

Although I am getting tired of feeling like my only options for battline are Direwolves and Chainwrasps.

Edited by Evil Bob
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

I’m not sure they can upgrade skeletons and zombies to the new normal without them looking ridiculous

Maybe skellis get up to 6 attacks and zombies auto-hit and wound on a 2+ 🤔 

The possible option of a vampire lord being able to walk around and not dying to the first slight breeze... a dream 

Valid fun to play options, pleeease 🥺

I made this post in the Rumour Thread, but I think it belongs in here too:

• The warscrolls in Cursed City are not Soulblight Gravelords warscrolls.

We can see this from the fact that Skeletons and Zombies are completely unchanged both in terms of points and warscrolls, and from the fact that the GRAVELORDS keywords does not appear anywhere. We also know that the Cursed City warscrolls are marked with a November 2020 date, which is way before we had any indication of Gravelords existing. The release of Gravelords is narratively tied to the events of Broken Realms, so we know they could only have been released earlier if Broken Realms had progressed quicker. Even after BR: Teclis, there is no really good narrative justification for a Gravelords release. They might only enter the narrative after BR: Be'lakor.

• If warscrolls and points get updated, don't expect big changes for the newer ones

While it's reasonable to expect both Zombies and Skeletons to get a significant rework, I would not count on the new units from Cursed City being changed drastically. In fact, it is possible that those warscrolls give us glimpses of what the Gravelords battletome might be like. Gorslav, for example, has the ability to bring back a unit of zombies at half strength for a command point. But Legions of Nagash already has the ability to bring back full strength units for the same cost. Gorslav's ability has some marginal use as it is (he does not need to be near a grave site to summon), but it could be that this indicates a shift away from grave site summoning in the upcoming tome.

• Radukar might become a stand alone character

Radukar has the distinction of being on his own, separate sprue. All other characters are on integrated sprues that make them hard to release as stand alone models. Radukar also thematically fits in with Kritza and Annika, and we know that Kritza is part of Gravelords proper, at least. So I think there is a chance that Radukar gets the option to be taken on his own in Gravelords. His warscroll is certainly good enough for it as it is. For all the other DEATH characters, I think it's more likely that we see generic heroes that are similar to them for which they could serve as alternate sculpts, such as a generic Zombie hero for Gorslav, generic Necromancer for Torgillius and generic Wight King for Halgrim. No idea where that leaves the Vrykos Bloodborn and Kosargi Nightguard. It would be nice to have them as proper troops in the final release, but it would require a proper stand alone kit.

• The Cities of Sigmar heroes might also still become more relevant

Currently, only the Kharadron hero has a functioning subfaction keyword. The Cities heroes and the Sylvaneth hero have "nerf keywords", which currently only serve to deny them subfaction allegiance abilities. Does that mean a battletome's on the way there is a chance these keywords will become functional at some point? In my opinion, there is definitely a chance that we will see rules for the new Sylvaneth grove and a liberated Ulfenkarn as a Shyish City of Sigmar. Especially since the Gravelords story does not seem to yet have concluded as part of Broken Realms. We still need a real payoff for ven Brecht being rescued by a vampire. The new Witch Hunter models also point in the direction of more narrative development for Gravelords, since we know they are part of the Broken Realms narrative, too. Plus, while they call them Witch Hunters, they are carrying stakes and crossbows and hunting the undead, so the Soulblight connection is there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Do we think there will be faction terrain and endless spells?

I'm betting actual pieces for gravesites.

I'd be surprised if we don't get spells. Could be a very cool way to work in a rule a little bit like the soul-linked bonereaper ones.

Terrain I'm not sure, we may not see grave sites at all.

I'm also beginning to wonder whether we will get a lumineth release where 20% of the army is released with a special edition tome and then a year later the majority gets released with the real tome.

Important to note that Gorslavs command ability doesn't require him to be the general, so that is very much  an improvement and maybe this will lead to our general not being nuked off the board turn 1/2. Removing the revive a whole unit for 1 CP should make our strategy less swingy, that's honestly what I dislike most about it. If you have a lot of deathrattle you basically need to revive them in order to get your points out of the units. At the same time it feels bad for your opponent and makes the game less fun. The general should be essential in a death army but not to the extent it is now (was even worse in Fantasy were you basically lost when the general died).

I can't wait to see what type of rules we get instead of this badly designed rule. The Gorslav rule seems fine and lorewise very cool but not over the top considering you have to get all the models aswell :)

Edited by KratosvonCarstein
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, KratosvonCarstein said:

Important to note that Gorslavs command ability doesn't require him to be the general, so that is very much  an improvement and maybe this will lead to our general not being nuked off the board turn 1/2. Removing the revive a whole unit for 1 CP should make our strategy less swingy, that's honestly what I dislike most about it. If you have a lot of deathrattle you basically need to revive them in order to get your points out of the units. At the same time it feels bad for your opponent and makes the game less fun. The general should be essential in a death army but not to the extent it is now (was even worse in Fantasy were you basically lost when the general died).

I can't wait to see what type of rules we get instead of this badly designed rule. The Gorslav rule seems fine and lorewise very cool but not over the top considering you have to get all the models aswell :)

Only thing is in fantasy you could make your general a lot more durable with wargear vampiric powers and having them in a unit was a massive help as very few units could snipe you.

Edited by El Syf

On 4/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, Raptor_Jesues said:

not sure if the dude is an actual necromancer or just some random death mage

I would love to see a named necromancer (did anyone say Kemmler?)

12 hours ago, Sception said:

My guess is still preorder in late october, release in november.  I don't think we'll see them until after belakor, kragnos, a bunch of 40k stuff, and maybe 3rd edition aos.  Would be happy to be wrong, though.

They have already billed them as "coming soon" and since LoN came out it the first edition I would expect a maintenance book before the new edition drops.  Also I dont't think they would have teased them if the release was planned for the fall or even later.

3 hours ago, KratosvonCarstein said:

Important to note that Gorslavs command ability doesn't require him to be the general, so that is very much  an improvement and maybe this will lead to our general not being nuked off the board turn 1/2.

I had not cosidered that angle, thanks! That might actually be a good fix for how dependent Legions of Nagash currently are on the general for resurrection, having a similar but worse ability available to all heroes.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

Originally I figured a mid to late year release too. However, I also thought Cursed City would be out at the start of May, The Crimson Court end of this month and BR Teclis with LRL release mid April but GW has really cranked out the releases about a month earlier for everything than I thought. I really do expect Soulblight to go up for preorder before July and possibly by the end of May.

• Like 3

I don’t play underworlds, but to someone that does, have cards had similar rules to the models? Or are they all brand new and made specific for the game?

I’m not saying 1-to-1, but would be it outlandish to draw similarities? Or could we hope for cool new mechanics/fuels for our vamps? 

Honestly, I’m only hoping for cool and awesome mechanics for vampires, make them great again.