Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

Looking at the sprues on the website, I don’t think the hero’s will be split up in the actual SBG release. The two ogres and all the other hero “villains” except for the main ogre Vampire guy share the same sprue, that includes the Varskyr.

It also looks as though the skeletons in cursed city are mixed arms and you can’t change that, as they are just two pieces per Skeleton making them practically worthless in my opinion.

Edit: The zombies are also sharing sprues with the skeletons, as well as the bat swarms and zombie rat swarms, so these are clearly not the same sprues that will be used for AOS itself, but I still don’t see them releasing the heroes separately based on how they have laid out those sprues, if an individual release was intended they would have grouped the parts differently.

4B24F6CA-6FB8-48A4-93F4-2C8E3E355AC8.jpeg

82B3BEF1-D913-4CD8-B304-B9F73115CFEF.jpeg

Edited by Sleepers
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was hoping that the SGL tome would rework vampires to be but more hitty and things like the varghulf to become a bit more scary.

These warscrolls are all pretty mediocre with poor damage (3~4 attacks mostly d3 with nothing special really) and  poor survivability through having low wounds and bad saves.

If this trend holds in the book, we will likely not see any meaningful rework in how vampires integrate in gravelords.

With vampires feeling a lot like a normal mortal here that could fit in pretty well within the cities book and where a varghulf is less powerfull than 2 ironguts  power wise. Vampirism is apparently not that big of a buff...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dracan said:

I was hoping that the SGL tome would rework vampires to be but more hitty and things like the varghulf to become a bit more scary.

These warscrolls are all pretty mediocre with poor damage (3~4 attacks mostly d3 with nothing special really) and  poor survivability through having low wounds and bad saves.

If this trend holds in the book, we will likely not see any meaningful rework in how vampires integrate in gravelords.

With vampires feeling a lot like a normal mortal here that could fit in pretty well within the cities book and where a varghulf is less powerfull than 2 ironguts  power wise. Vampirism is apparently not that big of a buff...

I wouldn’t lose all hope yet. This is actually typical. They don’t write strong rules for sub-game models. Like underworlds, so this should have been expected actually, and the zombies / skeleton warscrolls are literally just the existing ones. It’s likely the SBG book will buff the army and vampires.

• Like 2

Given that skeletons and zombies got neither warscroll nor points updates, I am fairly certain there will be new warscrolls all around once the Soulblight tome hits. There is no world where skeletons and zombies stay exactly the same in the next book.

Harder to predict what that means for the character models. They might just be bad, which would be normal for subgame models. They make good alternate sculpts for proxying in any case.

10 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Given that skeletons and zombies got neither warscroll nor points updates, I am fairly certain there will be new warscrolls all around once the Soulblight tome hits. There is no world where skeletons and zombies stay exactly the same in the next book.

Harder to predict what that means for the character models. They might just be bad, which would be normal for subgame models. They make good alternate sculpts for proxying in any case.

I pretend they're in Witness Protection.

"Khagra the Ravager? No, that's Julie Smith, newly moved to the Bloodwind Spoil."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Aight, those are clearly old book rules but it is still pretty interesting for things to come:
-Radukar actually has 7 wounds wich i think are quite possible for vampire lords to have wich is nice, also his command ability is juicy. If i was able to take him individually he would actually be a nice choice for some army styles (infantry mostly)
-the vargskyr is nice depending on its price taken individually, wish it had some kind of steroid
-the bloodborne are actually a stand out point since they are squishy but very stabby fast units that can nicely fill the battlefield assassins role

not too bad all in all, i will not take the box but i'm not too disappointed either

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

I wouldn’t fret about the rules atm, worst case scenario they don’t get revamped in the Soulblight book, you can always use most of the models as great proxies or alternate sculpts for existing stuff. Halgrim = Wight King, Vargskyr = Vargulf etc. 

Honestly, some of these warscrolls would be interesting if you could play them separately. It's just that having to have them all at once kinda kills them.

Radukar has a good command ability and is fairly durable. Torgillius generates CP and has a good spell. The other two heroes have some marginal utility. But personally, I just don't really think a list with the whole package is especially exciting. Especially given that you might want an extra VLoZD in there to have a durable general.

But I guess it's nice that the option is there if you want to play a themed list in a narrative game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Honestly, some of these warscrolls would be interesting if you could play them separately. It's just that having to have them all at once kinda kills them.

Radukar has a good command ability and is fairly durable. Torgillius generates CP and has a good spell. The other two heroes have some marginal utility. But personally, I just don't really think a list with the whole package is especially exciting. Especially given that you might want an extra VLoZD in there to have a durable general.

But I guess it's nice that the option is there if you want to play a themed list in a narrative game.

oh yeah, i forgot about the command point generator. That is cash right there, he also has a nice spell.
I usually find myself wanting to field a huge hero like a VLoZD along with a secondary utility boy, both radukar an Torgillus would be nice IF i could pick them up separatly

48 minutes ago, Sprues&Brews said:

https://spruesandbrews.com/2021/04/03/warhammer-quest-cursed-city-warscroll-review-part-1/

We review the new warscrolls in Cursed City in today's post!

You make a good observation here:

"We have seen a shot of the points values of the contents of the box in some of the darker corners of the internet over the last few days, but what caught my eye was the it has a blurb advising the points are accurate as of November 2020. This suggests that Cursed City was originally planned to launch around 6 months ago, long before we ever had any mention of the Soulblight Gravelords."

I think this is absolutely right. And I think it tells us that we should view the warscrolls less as a Gravelords teaser, and more of a Legions of Nagash "you can play this if you like" added value situation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

You make a good observation here:

"We have seen a shot of the points values of the contents of the box in some of the darker corners of the internet over the last few days, but what caught my eye was the it has a blurb advising the points are accurate as of November 2020. This suggests that Cursed City was originally planned to launch around 6 months ago, long before we ever had any mention of the Soulblight Gravelords."

I think this is absolutely right. And I think it tells us that we should view the warscrolls less as a Gravelords teaser, and more of a Legions of Nagash "you can play this if you like" added value situation.

100% agree. I wouldn't take these warscrolls as a representation of Soulblight Gravelords, especially since the keywords are all the old LoN keywords (minus the keywords specifically for cursed city). Also the Skeletons and Zombies warscrolls are exactly the same as what we currently have including points.

• Like 1

Well I guess I'm not getting it after all, at least not right away, as it sold out while I was busy running D&D.  Oh, well!  I'm glad it's popular at least, and judging by Blackstone Fortress (and Silver Tower before it), I'm sure it'll be restocked before too long.  😛