Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

New Soulblight Gravelords - speculative price estimates (revised!)

Battle-tome: £25 

New centre piece model: £80

Armoured Female Vampire Lord: £25

Wight King on horse: £30

New Ratty Vampire lord: £25

Masked Female Vampire lord: £25

5 x Blood Knights: £40 

20 x Skeletons: £36

20 x Skeletons: £36

20  x Zombies: £36

3 x Fell bats: £25

3 x Fell bats: £25

Bat swarm: £25

Bat swarm: £25

(Not yet revealed) 5 x Dire wolves: £25

(Not yet revealed) 5 x Dire wolves: £25

Endless spells: £25

Total: £685 (bit better)

Edited by warhammernerd

@warhammernerd You said you already ordered CC a couple of days ago, you tart? 😁

I really don't see the new skeletons being that expensive. Not if GW want us to run them as a horde unit. There are just too many Generic Skeleton models out there.

It with GW  who knows. 

Edited by Souleater

Yeah, I really hope the skeletons and zombies are pachaged in boxes of 20, priced at the very least no worse than mortek guard.  I don't want to see a repeat of the nighthaunt faction, where a ridiculous price point on the backbone core hoardy chaff unit by itself errects a darn near unscalable wall in the face of new players.

It won't make a huge difference to me personally - I'm not planning on replacing my existing skeletons or zombies either way - but I'd like this to be a faction that new players could reasonably buy into, allowing for some fresh blood (har har) going forward.  I don't know what I'd say the cut off for 'reasonable' is, but I do know that 3.6 brexit bucks per dude for the basic battleline infantry chaff is well past it.

• Like 1

Yes,they must be 10 for 25€ or 20 for 40.

And zombies the same.

Myself i gonna start my first non order army with these vampires.

I gonna start with all the start collecting and the old ally box that i found in a store.

Skeleton start collecting

Ghost start collectting

Fec start collecting

Allys box

So in total

1 palanquin

Vampire on dragon

Manfred 

Wight king on foot

3 vargheist

10 fec ghouls that gonna be zombies proxy

30 skeletons(10 from start collectin,10 that gonna be grave guards played as skeletons id grave guard dissapear and 10 skeletons that i had from one box from 1996 or so)

15 black knights

And i also have 50 chainsrap from mortal realm(i only got the number 1 for the stormcast but who tougth that i could use the ghost also after lol) that if i cant play them inside vampires they gonna be zombies or skeletons proxy.

So i think i gonna have plenty units for a start.

I guess when tome come i gonna get 10 blood knigths,vampire armored(0 non armor vampire thank you),bats and i hope the new centerpiece and the new vampire unit on foot.

As allway i get too much box even when i know that  i am a veeeeery slow builder(it got me around 4 years to build my 3k city,2k stormcast and 2k fyreslayers)

Btw what you think about all this new ability of change stats if it is night or day from cursed city and warcry?it is posible we get it for our tome?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Souleater said:

@warhammernerd You said you already ordered CC a couple of days ago, you tart? 😁

I really don't see the new skeletons being that expensive. Not if GW want us to run them as a horde unit. There are just too many Generic Skeleton models out there.

It with GW  who knows. 

I did,  and then the store told me they had to cancel my pre-pre order and wait till 11 on Saturday. ******

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Im going to start with the underworlds vampires and maybe the start collecting skeleton horde. 

I just like them as vampire lords for now and i"ll make me some hexwraiths out of the skeleton horde and magnetize the mortarchs and keep the skeletons.

I also plan to buy the new bats when they get released.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

Ach. Sorry, to hear that, dude. ☹

I think that given the price, one CC box will be cost effective.

You get small units of new zombies and skeletons, new 'Varghesist' sculpt, bat swarms and a couple of foot Vampires.

If you like the slightly different sculpts (even if only to add some variety to what will probably be spammed units) I think you're good.

In your case, I don't know if you are still set on replacing all of your old zombies and skeletons. So maybe just the ones in a CC box will save your appetite on that front.

But if you are counting pennies, you have to weigh up just getting a £50 LE tome versus a regular one plus most of the cost of a box of BK. 🤷‍♂️

Do you need to buy all this stuff in one go? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanShot First said:

Anybody think we will get a dirge engine unit? Maybe a ballista on a new corpse cart?

I kind of doubt it.  This is, effectively, an old school vampire counts faction, and old school vampire counts were defined in part by a lack of ranged weaponry.  When the old 'warhammer armies: undead' faction was split into 'vampire counts' and 'tomb kings', all of the ranged weapons went to the tomb kings, and have since been reincarnated as the bonereapers, with their mortek crawler being a conceptual update to the old skull catapult, and it seems likely a future 'mortek archer' unit carrying the torch for oldhammer skeleton archers.

Vampires generally get a few wonky, close ranged options - mostly banshee style screams - but yeah, GW seems to consider not having archers, artillery, or other long ranged options to be some sort of faction defining feature, not a bug.  I don't know why, it's certainly not a choice I agree with and I'd love to be wrong here, but it remained in effect for *years* of oldhammer and continued into AoS in the legions book that the new gravelords are supplanting, so I doubt it's going to change now.

25 minutes ago, Ghoooouls said:

Anyone know what base size blood knights are currently and what predictions the new ones will be?

I have 5 that I converted from the new chaos knight sculpts... hoping they're similar size and base size.

Bases sizes all here: 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/ba618db2.pdf

Blood Knight currently on 60 x 35 mm, 100% they are going to 75 x 42mm

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Do you need to buy all this stuff in one go? 

No.... 

Yes....

Sold all my skeles. Kept my (marmite) Metal late 90's early naughties grave guards. 

Got black knights, converted these. 

Sold fell bats and bat swarms.

Sold 140 old painted zombies. 

I'm a huuuuuuge Vampire fan. So much so that in early 2020 I started a "Vampire Khorne" custom army to tie me over until a proper Soulblight army/book came out. I was originally 100% going to buy cursed city. However, the more I think about it the more I am leaning on not buying it. I likely won't play the actual Cursed City game, so I would just be buying it for the models. In addition I already have 20 of the old zombies and 30 of the old skeletons. So I am thinking I want to wait until I have the Gravelords book to see warscrolls and figure out my army. I personally do not care about the "good guy" models from Cursed City, I suppose I could get some of my money back by selling them off individually. The only thing I am REALLY interested in is the two zombie ogor models along with the Vargskyr. I do hope that they are an actual usable unit in Gravelords, but I'm 50/50 if they actually will be or not. We already know that the Vargskyr can charge 3D6, I hope it has the killing profile to make it worth while, even if it is a glass cannon. Could be nice to have a shock troop unit that just goes in an terrorizes enemy lines. Guess we only have to wait a couple days to find out their full AoS warscrolls, since I'm sure reviewers of Cursed City will also show AoS warscrolls for the box.

Edited by BaylorCorvette
  • Like 1

I'll definitely be getting Cursed City, if only because my room mate doesn't play AoS, but might play Warhammer Quest.

If it were just a matter of getting the models to use in AoS, though, no.  No, I don't think I'd get it.  Not when I'm not planning on replacing my skeleton and zombie hoards any time soon.  The remaining stuff in the box, while cool enough as individual models, isn't going to justify the whole set on its own.

If I were planning on replacing my infantry blocks, though, that'd be a tougher call.  A vamp lord, two necromancers (if you include the heroic one), a wight king, a zombie priest, some swarms, 20 infantry, some feral vamp thralls, & a varghulf-adjacent monster... it's not the worst collection, but with the whole game attached it's probably not going to be cheaper than getting that stuff separately, and if I'm being honest the vamp lord and main necromancer aren't entirely to my taste.  I prefer my vampire lords more gaunt and refined, and my necromancers more collected and academic (I do really like the heroic necro's model, for instance).

The infantry could be a problem too.  The standard unit sizes for chaff infantry tend to be multiples of 20 ime.  If the new models come in boxes of ten, then they'll be just too pricey to build hordes of, but if they're packaged in boxes of 20 you'd have to find another gravelords player who ALSO bought a box of Cursed City to split a box each of skeletons and zombies with you in order to get your totals back to multiples of 20, and that might be tricky depending on who you have in your local scene.

• Like 1

My take on the Cursed City box, which is biased since I collect such a lot of armies:

I‘d get the box even for only the Models (tough I really want to play the Board Game!) due to it including models for a lot of my armies:

All the Vampires for SGL ofc.

The Vargskyr for my FeC if it won‘t have a place in SBGL

All the Heroes for Cities of Sigmar

On top of it all you get a pretty solid Board Game (judging by WHQ and Blackstone Fortress) which you can play with your friends/Gf etc. (Great escape during these endless waves of lockdowns) :)

Imo the leaked price Tag of 155€ feels fine! :)

Edited by JackStreicher
Spelling

Here's a question I have. In the Cursed City box, we know Zombies & Skeletons are going to be a "normal unit" within AoS proper. All of the other Death models, specifically the Hero models *could* be like Underworlds Warband or Warcry warscrolls where they are very underwhelming in AoS, so at worst they will make for a good proxy Vampire Lord or Necromancer. However the thing I am mostly curious about for AoS proper are the Vyrkos Blood-born. What do y'all think? Are they going to be an actual unit for AoS or is it just going to be a case of giving a model from a specialty game a warscroll, but it ends up being garbage that no one will really use it? Only three come in the Cursed City box, making that a weird unit size. However in AoS proper, they could be units of 5, things like Soul Wars gave weird numbers of Grimghast Repaers and Glaivewraith Stalkers for example. I think they are great models and would make for some cool "foot infantry" in Gravelords.

I suppose we could see their AoS warscrolls this weekend from the YouTube reviewers.