Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Are you talking about the extra attacks that old skeleton warriors got? If so, that rule is no longer on the warscroll.

Was meaning in the battleshock phase.  For every 10 models in the unit you gain +1 to your bravery, so returned models will count towards that - but also count as slain.

1 hour ago, Liquidsteel said:

I was re-reading the scroll a few days ago, and I think it's option B.

See below.

Skeleton Legion: Though slow in their approach, these undead warriors rise to rejoin the fight time and time again in spite of their losses. When you pick this unit to fight, roll a dice for each model in this unit that was slain in that phase. On a 4+, you can return that model to this unit.

Each dice roll is for a specific model, so if Bill, Bob and Ben die, and Bill gets back up the first time, he cannot get back up again. Even if you can technically roll his dice, a successful roll would do nothing.

I hope that's not the reading they go with, because that would result in a lot of tedious book keeping. Because there is one fact we unequivocally know: When counting slain models, returned models that get killed again count as two slain. So if a model gets slain, returned and slain again, you would be allowed to roll two dice for it the second time around, and return it if any of them show 4+.

They could also say that "Roll a dice for any model in this unit that was slain" means you get to roll one die max per model, but in that case the same wording would work two completely different ways in the relation to this rule and battleshock. And that would kind of just be adding insult to injury at this point: "You know that janky skeleton warriors/Vanhel's combo you can do that is not even that good in the grand scheme of things? We broke our own established rules precedent just to make it worse. Enjoy."

10 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Was meaning in the battleshock phase.  For every 10 models in the unit you gain +1 to your bravery, so returned models will count towards that - but also count as slain.

Not going to lie, I forgot that was even a rule for a moment. Just goes to show how impactful battleshock is in this game right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

what the heck is battleshock

TBH battleshock always affected me more as a skeleton horde kind of guy compared to my bonesplitterz who generate infinite CPs to stave off battleshock forever. Skeletons failing morale still drives me mad to this day. Undead stuff should just be immune if wholly within their FNP auras.

On a side note, what do you guys think of this list?  I will probably swap to 2x30 skeletons rather than this 3x20. Graveguard are pretty strong but man I still don't feel like we have a really good hammer unit that isn't overpriced or super slow and fragile.

e70f48c62f1f943608f7c7ef834f8840.png.ea01878ee4284ed1e3f090dcc074f8b2.png

Edited by Belmail
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Belmail said:

TBH battleshock always affected me more as a skeleton horde kind of guy compared to my bonesplitterz who generate infinite CPs to stave off battleshock forever. Skeletons failing morale still drives me mad to this day. Undead stuff should just be immune if wholly within their FNP auras.

They always crumbled back in fantasy, don't really see how this is different. I envision it as the unit being harder and harder to maintain stable with nercomantic magic if they get their butts kicked too hard so they just kind of fall apart or the necromancer loses control over them and they just wander off. I wish they were immune to -bravery debuffs though, would be a nice nod towards the old Immune to Psychology.

You could always go OBR if you want BS immunity. 

• Like 1

Just now, Verminlord said:

So much of this book is going to change in a couple months when 3.0 drops. It's a bit frustrating, but understandable, that SbG wasn't just a 3.0 book.

Agreed, which is why I'm not going to buy a ton of models or build a ton of lists until 3.0 comes out. Assuming it is out end of June / start of July I'll have one tournament before 3.0 so I'm just going to play a list using models I've got.

One large change that would be a positive for this army is if the rumor about Command Point generation is true. This army is so hungry for CPs that if we have a way to get more or generate more it will be a big plus. I suspect "generals" may contribute to more CPs, seeing how we are seeing more of the "this model counts as the army general in addition to the model you pick" or Vyrkos having access to a lot of generals. 

1 hour ago, mrteige said:

how would you guys go about making a semi/full on competitive Vargheists heavy army?

Maybe with Mannfred...

the vargheists can come down anywhere on the field, while Manni can chargeblock and then teleport away, supporting somewhere else

maybe some wolves to protect flanks and a vengorian lord or lauka vai, or coven throne 🤔

But that is just guessing around

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i find REALLY weird that the VLoZD does not have a CA. Do you reckon that we are going to get more generic CA in the new rules?

I hope so! I'm really bummed about the VLoZD. I have always preferred generic heroes to named heroes. But now, especially based on points Prince Vhordrai is just so much better. Similar points, but the Prince has the D6 Chalice, a better spell, and a Command Ability. Before the VLoZD's Command Ability was really good IMO and it is a shame GW removed it. If they just removed the Chalice heal but kept the Command Ability then I would definitely be using the VLoZD in more lists.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

i find REALLY weird that the VLoZD does not have a CA. Do you reckon that we are going to get more generic CA in the new rules?

Rumor is we are getting a +1 to hit CA. Haven't heard if we losing any current ones or of any other new ones besides +1 to hit.

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I hope so! I'm really bummed about the VLoZD. I have always preferred generic heroes to named heroes. But now, especially based on points Prince Vhordrai is just so much better. Similar points, but the Prince has the D6 Chalice, a better spell, and a Command Ability. Before the VLoZD's Command Ability was really good IMO and it is a shame GW removed it. If they just removed the Chalice heal but kept the Command Ability then I would definitely be using the VLoZD in more lists.

I think we will see VLoZD with the Hunters Snare CT in vykros, but otherwise Vhordrai is a much better buy.

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

agreed, as of now Prince V is head and toes better than the vanilla lord, agreed. I would always take him instead

1 minute ago, Verminlord said:

Rumor is we are getting a +1 to hit CA. Haven't heard if we losing any current ones or of any other new ones besides +1 to hit.

lets hope so, it would be amazing in my army

1 hour ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Ben Johnson talked about "having more CPs" if we don't take a double turn, and they can interact with new abilities (?) in enemy phases. That seems to be true with the charge-reaction rumor: When you are charged, you can use one of this new CA-reactions:

1. Shooting attack at -1 hit
  2. +1 save
  3. Run away

If that's true, we could see some new CA-reaction in other non-interactive phases (Hero, Movement, Shooting and Battleshock phase).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honk said:

Maybe with Mannfred...

the vargheists can come down anywhere on the field, while Manni can chargeblock and then teleport away, supporting somewhere else

maybe some wolves to protect flanks and a vengorian lord or lauka vai, or coven throne 🤔

But that is just guessing around

I was thinking that Manfred should be one of the generals. Was also thinking wolves (have 10 of the old ones so that work great) would Zombies or Skellies have a place in an army with these guys?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Ben Johnson talked about "having more CPs" if we don't take a double turn, and they can interact with new abilities (?) in enemy phases. That seems to be true with the charge-reaction rumor: When you are charged, you can use one of this new CA-reactions:

1. Shooting attack at -1 hit
  2. +1 save
  3. Run away

If that's true, we could see some new CA-reaction in other non-interactive phases (Hero, Movement, Shooting and Battleshock phase).

3. Run away

This has some interesting interaction with Bella's CA. Run away wolves outside of 3-4" and then pile in 6"

• LOVE IT! 1

Been pondering some lists. What do we think of this? Necromancer worth it, and if so, what do you think of the trait/artefact load out? Debating having a Vampire Lord instead

Vyrkos Dynasty

Prince Vhordrai 455 14W

Belladamma Volga 200 9W

Radukar the Beast 

Necromancer. General. Spoor Trackers or Driven by Deathstench or Kin of the Wolf. Ulfenkarnian Phylactery 

40 Deadwalker Zombies

2x20 Deadwalker Zombies 

2x10 Dire Wolves 

Corpse Cart 

Chronomatic Cogs

1985pts

1 hour ago, mrteige said:

would Zombies or Skellies have a place in an army with these guys?

YES!!! NO!!! maybeeee?!?

the Details and search for most broken will start upon receiving the book. And then start again with AoS 3.0 👻

as a purist, I‘d go full feral with grandma, her boi and puppies, Mannfred and vargheists 

but 20 whatever with a necro and or generic lord

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Liquidsteel said:

I was re-reading the scroll a few days ago, and I think it's option B.

See below.

Skeleton Legion: Though slow in their approach, these undead warriors rise to rejoin the fight time and time again in spite of their losses. When you pick this unit to fight, roll a dice for each model in this unit that was slain in that phase. On a 4+, you can return that model to this unit.

Each dice roll is for a specific model, so if Bill, Bob and Ben die, and Bill gets back up the first time, he cannot get back up again. Even if you can technically roll his dice, a successful roll would do nothing.

You've made a strong case.  I'm convinced.

Shh, we're not meant to be talking about the skeleton rule working like that, most other people will miss it ;) and then maybe GW will faq it to be the good version because they'll miss it too. 

Also it makes rolling for it with Vanhels awful. Because for some models you're rolling two dice because they died twice, for some you're rolling one. Each model can only get back up once but some models have two goes at getting back. It makes it a real mess if you read it like that. 

Example:
Skeletons Tom, Richard and Ahmed die from a unit of skellies.
The unit activates and each rolls a 4+ and Tom and Ahmed get back but not Richard.
Next the unit takes more casualties and Ahmed also dies.
Then because of Vanhels, the unit activates again.
You roll a 4+ for Tom, Richard and  two for Ahmed because each had been "slain" that phase and Ahmed had been "slain" twice, no matter if they reanimated.
You roll a 4, 5, 5 and a 6!

1. Tom's success gives him nothing, his model is "returned to the unit" but he's there already, nothing happens.
2. Richard died once, didn't resurrect the first time, but because he was "slain" in the phase he gets a second go at it with Vanhels and indeed does come back.
3. Ahmed the lucky boy not only got back up the first time, because he was killed twice he gets two goes at coming back the second time! He was "slain" twice as per the FAQ. He gets two successes, so he gets returned to the unit twice. However...returning the same model to the unit multiple times doesn't do anything more than once. 

The rule is a mess if you treat it RAW. If you play it RAW you have to do it individually for each model because of the example above. How often will this scenario happen? All you need is Vanhels and then two enemy units going into your skeletons...so reasonably often if you have them on an objective. 

This rule needs an errata stat. 

Edited by Aren73
  • Like 1

What do you guys think about Reikenor as ally + Chronomaric cogs. He gets +3 to cast , so cogs at 4+. Whole combo is 240 points and your whole army gets +2 move and charge. Combine this with Kastelei and seems very good!!

2 minutes ago, Erdemo86 said:

What do you guys think about Reikenor as ally + Chronomaric cogs. He gets +3 to cast , so cogs at 4+. Whole combo is 240 points and your whole army gets +2 move and charge. Combine this with Kastelei and seems very good!!

We watched the same Honest Wargamer video yes? I too am starved for Soulblight content on YouTube xD

Edited by Aren73
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Aren73 said:

We watched the same Honest Wargamer video yes? I too am starved for Soulblight content on YouTube xD

Yeah but still didn’t liked his list, I think reikenor is a great idea but you could go better with the rest.Something like:

Prince V

Vengorian

Reikenor

Coggs

2x10 BKs or 4x5 (maybe 3x5)

20 skellies (2x10) or 40 Zombies(2x20)

Edited by Erdemo86
  • Like 1