Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

My local GW front has a cool manager who runs lots of local events (outside of pandemic time).  Once places start to allow in-store play again, I will ask him how cool he is with AoO rules.  He runs escalation tournaments and narrative campaign tournaments primarily, so I am hoping he will be good with it.  When the plague hit, we were in the middle of a narrative campaign, and the "death" team had just managed to sweep in and canabalize a battlefield after a huge fight between order + chaos forces.  Since we stole the order corpses from an ogor raid, the death faction was about to get a boost instead of destruction (since we stole their food, lol).

Good times.

• Like 1

So I got the Bloodknight kit today - those are some truly beautiful models. My only criticism would be the lack of posing and parts variety. You get parts for the Kastelan and the standard, lance/sword options for all and a total of 11 different heads. Everything else is fixed, so there is very little variety in the end. 

The one thing I am truly disappointed with is the complete no-show of terrain and/or Endless Spells. Other than that I think we got a pretty well rounded release. Some things could be better, but that is the case with everything in life. Solid 5/7. ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

So I got the Bloodknight kit today - those are some truly beautiful models. My only criticism would be the lack of posing and parts variety. You get parts for the Kastelan and the standard, lance/sword options for all and a total of 11 different heads. Everything else is fixed, so there is very little variety in the end. 

The one thing I am truly disappointed with is the complete no-show of terrain and/or Endless Spells. Other than that I think we got a pretty well rounded release. Some things could be better, but that is the case with everything in life. Solid 5/7. ;)

Eh, still more variety than the old blood knight kit ;) 

Also, Blood Knights were traditionally this elite unit you might have 5, max 10 of in a game, the lack of variety wouldn't be an issue. 

Then again seems the new rules encourage 15 (and I've even seen 30) of them on the board....hordes of Blood Knights I guess. They got busy making fledgelings xD 

Yeah, the terrain and spells is a sore point. Let's not...I think we all agree on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I've been looking over the Soulblight stuff that's released before the tome and I wonder: does anyone have a list idea for a vargheist-heavy list? Is Legion of Night the default option, even if I plan on taking plenty of zombies and dire wolves?

455 Vhordrai

310 Coven Throne

380 Mannfred

155 3x Vargheists

155 3x Vargheists 

155 3x Vargheists

155 3x Vargheists

That’s my starting block at 1,765. Haven’t seen the Varg specific battalion yet. Def room to drop something and add Skellies or Wolves

Edited by Televiper11
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I've been looking over the Soulblight stuff that's released before the tome and I wonder: does anyone have a list idea for a vargheist-heavy list? Is Legion of Night the default option, even if I plan on taking plenty of zombies and dire wolves?

Vargheists also benefit from the Might of the Crimson Keep rule from the Kastelai dynasty (vampire units gain bonuses for destroying enemy units), so that might be worth considering if you're not concerned about filling out the battleline slots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, vlad3theimpaler said:

Vargheists also benefit from the Might of the Crimson Keep rule from the Kastelai dynasty (vampire units gain bonuses for destroying enemy units), so that might be worth considering if you're not concerned about filling out the battleline slots.

I thought about that! I don't have the book yet so I wasn't sure if they still had the vampire keyword or not!

Im looking for some insight as if you were an opponent on something. 

Basically if someone were to use sword and shield new deathrattle skellies as wight blade sword and shield grave guard would you as an opponent have a problem with this?

Stat wise they are the same.

Wysiwyg works out the same.

Then if i did use reggy skellies I'd just make sure they were all spears as to help differentiate the two. 

I'm just not very keen on the actual grave guard models especially compared to the new skellies. 

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

Basically if someone were to use sword and shield new deathrattle skellies as wight blade sword and shield grave guard would you as an opponent have a problem with this?

Then if i did use reggy skellies I'd just make sure they were all spears as to help differentiate the two. 

I'm just not very keen on the actual grave guard models especially compared to the new skellies. 

Personally, I wouldn't care. But some people do. Not a very helpful answer sorry lol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

I personally try to avoid proxying one model from a faction with another model from the same faction. I think this kind of thing gets confusing if you overdo it. But use your judgment. I think having old skeletons as Warriors and one unit of new skeletons as Grave Guard should be bearable if that's your only proxy in your list.

In casual games, ultimately who cares? It's not like the GW police will come and slap those skeletons out of your hand. And explaining it to your opponent barely takes any time.

Of course, any tournament will be likely to shut you down for this. And probably rightly so, because in a tournament situation this would absolutely be a source of confusion.

• Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:58 PM, BrotherTalarian said:

Let us know how it goes! I’m very curious 

It was a disaster tbh.

I played Fyreslayer and had basically Vordrai, mannfred and 5 blood knights charge a unit of 20 HG and had the mannfred CA turned on. Still failed to kill enough and in return he did to much damage. I eventually won the fight but I had over 1000p stuck in 400p HG

Sure, not the best test since Fyreslayer are hard for this list but still. Low model count is always a big problem

Edited by Lucank
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lucank said:

It was a disaster tbh.

I playes Fyreslayer and had basically Vordrai, mannfred and 5 blood knights charge a unit of 20 HG and had the mannfred CA turned on. Still failed to kill enough and in return he did to much damage. I eventually won the fight but I had over 1000p stuck in 400p HG

Sure, not the best test since Fyreslayer are hard for this list but still. Low model count is always a big problem

In my experience you will need at least one block of Zombies or Skeletons to soak up the damage and hold the enemy in place. Then you can make your more elite units shine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

In my experience you will need at least one block of Zombies or Skeletons to soak up the damage and hold the enemy in place. Then you can make your more elite units shine.

Agree

You need some chaff and some bodys for multiple purposes.

I`m thinking about using only 2 units of 5 Blood Knights and spend the points on said units.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I would either try and get hold of the older skeleton kit to use as normal skellies or failing that give the graveguard more ornate armour and different colours on the robes so you can tell them apart.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

I have 20 Sword and Board old style Skellies from the Start Collecting, that I am planning on using as Grave Guard.

I will eventually get Grave Guard, but for now these will do, as I don't plan on running any actual Skeleton Warriors so there won't be any confusion.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aren73 said:

Eh, still more variety than the old blood knight kit ;) 

True.

The new kit lacks a musician option though, which I also found a bit annoying. Wouldn't proud vampire knights announce their charge by use of a horn or something similar? It might be a middle finger to people wanting to use this for WHF - but then this is plastic, and easy to convert.

9 hours ago, Aren73 said:

Also, Blood Knights were traditionally this elite unit you might have 5, max 10 of in a game, the lack of variety wouldn't be an issue. 

True too. Two units with different weapon and head options offer solid optical difference to do so - in the end I am not really angry. It only gets a problem with more than two units and/or 15+ models really. As you mentioned, this is somewhat "encouraged" by the new book - and I still believe it will look odd on the table.

But hey, maybe I am completely wrong, and 30 Blood Knights will look amazing anyway. I am looking forward to see what people do with the kit either way!

41 minutes ago, Lucank said:

It was a disaster tbh.

I playes Fyreslayer and had basically Vordrai, mannfred and 5 blood knights charge a unit of 20 HG and had the mannfred CA turned on. Still failed to kill enough and in return he did to much damage. I eventually won the fight but I had over 1000p stuck in 400p HG

I had to calculate this. If I'm not wrong Hearthguard Berzerkers get a 3+/4++ save. That gives us these damage values for everyone, on the charge and buffs included:

Vhordrai: ~7

Mannfred: ~4

Blood Knights: ~6

While 20 Hearthguard have 40 wounds.

Man, I always forget how absurdly tanky Fyreslayers are. I really thought those three big boy damage dealers would be able to mostly kill a unit of them on the charge.

55 minutes ago, Lucank said:

It was a disaster tbh.

I played Fyreslayer and had basically Vordrai, mannfred and 5 blood knights charge a unit of 20 HG and had the mannfred CA turned on. Still failed to kill enough and in return he did to much damage. I eventually won the fight but I had over 1000p stuck in 400p HG

Did you used Rousing Commander? Because if yes, only the Bloodlance of Vhordrai does 4 Attacks 2+ 2+ Damage 5 with Rend -3. That alone would be 7-8 Damage after their invulnarable save.

And at 1000 points Mannnfred+Vhordrai is too much. I would go something like this if you want to play Vhordrai at 1000 points:

Vhordrai

2x 5 Bloodknights 

3 Vargheist

also your list with Vhordrai,Mannfred and bloodkninghts is 1030 points and youre missing one battleline

Edited by Erdemo86